Gameday Tigers

Justin Thomas Has Left The Team

LSUDad

Justin Thomas leaves LSU team for personal reasons

ByBILLY EMBODY 63 minutes ago 

LSU defensive tackle Justin Thomas has left the team for personal reasons, head coach Ed Orgeron said at his Tuesday post practice press conference. In five games this season, the Spanish Fort, Ala. native has notched eight tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack.

"Justin Thomas has withdrawn from school for personal reasons," Orgeron told reporters. "Hopefully, he'll be back in the spring."

Orgeron said ahead of the Mississippi State game that Thomas' addition to the third down passing rushing team was big for LSU getting after Florida quarterback Kyle Trask. Without Thomas in the game against Auburn Saturday, LSU turned to Rashard Lawrence at the nose tackle spot in passing situations to get after quarterback Bo Nix.

"I do believe the addition of Marcel Brooks helped us put more speed on the field," Orgeron said at his Monday press conference after the Florida win. "Justin Thomas, turning into one of our defensive line pass-rushers. Michael Divinity in the middle. The sack at the end ignited the crowd. We're going to have to find a way to rush those four and play coverage.

"Justin Thomas coming in on third down. Our guys never got tired during the game. I told our coaches we have to be able to rotate, win the game in the fourth quarter. I was proud of our rotation. Our guys were ready to go."

This week is an open date for the No. 1 ranked Tigers before the team heads to Tuscaloosa on Nov. 9 for a 2:30 p.m. CT kickoff with No. 2 Alabama on CBS.