Gameday Tigers

EFF THE GUMPS!!! GDT Podcast InbredGumps Recap!

Fishhead

• Fishhead pinned and featured this topic

Yep Clyde is the man for sure. This is how he made the 1st down in his own words:

’s on his clutch third-down reception vs. Alabama: “When a guy is flat-footed it’s easier to run through him than run around him. I knew I needed to get the first down to keep the drive alive.#GeauxTigers http://bit.ly/2Nx9SkF

9 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Goalpost mover

check my post history. 

ive always had the goalposts here. 

this administration and fanbase made it VERY clear what standards were acceptable. 

going into the NC game with #1 team and not winning it was unacceptable. 

not winning a Natty with talent like Mett and that gang wasn’t acceptable. 

not getting a title with a generational talent like Fournette wasn’t good enough  

so here we are. 

#1 team in the country. 

more talent now than the Mett year 

generational talent at an even more important position than Fournette played  

is it fair to O?

probably not. but it wouldn’t have been fair to Herman, Jimbo, Fleck, etc. if it was one them instead.   

Les got a raise and extension after losing the 2012 NCG.

I'm talking about you saying preseason the goal was division championship and now it's not good enough. That's the goalpost you're moving. It's all in the podcast. 

Les got fired for losing to Alabama MULTIPLE times in the same year. Like, the team falling apart and quitting following that loss.  Lemme know when that happens under O. Can't be this year since there is no InbredGumps loss. 

Don't die on this hill, buddy. Accept it, we were wrong.  Ed O is the captain now. 😂

11 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Les got a raise and extension after losing the 2012 NCG.

I'm talking about you saying preseason the goal was division championship and now it's not good enough. That's the goalpost you're moving. It's all in the podcast. 

Les got fired for losing to Alabama MULTIPLE times in the same year. Like, the team falling apart and quitting following that loss.  Lemme know when that happens under O. Can't be this year since there is no InbredGumps loss. 

Don't die on this hill, buddy. Accept it, we were wrong.  Ed O is the captain now. 😂

yeah it is all in the podcast. 

i said “O gets all the credit for this” ; “O is proving me wrong” , etc. etc. 

as far as goals shifting, they do shift. and always will.

each week is a new data point. as you get more info, the goals/guesses/predictions evolve and change. 

as of right now, we will be favored in every single remaining game on schedule.  that means losing any is losing a game you were supposed to win. 

had we been absolutely decimated with injuries and forced to play our 3rd string QB most of the year, the goals would have been moved in the opposite direction.

hell you (and me) were questioning Aranda when the D was banged up. We were walking back our preseason thoughts.  

8 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I understand where Nootch is coming from here.  Hopefully we can run the gamut.

so does he, and he knows i’m right. 

i’m not bashing O. Not predicting his demise. Not saying he can’t or even that he won’t do it this year.  Or that he’ll never do it  

im saying the goals have changed. 

In big part because of what he has already accomplished.  

at this point if the 2011 season, no way you would have convinced any of us that 2 months later Les would be absolutely hated by vast majority of this fanbase.  But we know what happened.

The goalposts moved. 

10 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I understand where Nootch is coming from here.  Hopefully we can run the gamut.

Of course you do lol. You were as adamant as any O was the wrong hire. You were wrong too. Y'all hurry up and come aboard before the train leaves the station. 

6 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

so does he, and he knows i’m right. 

i’m not bashing O. Not predicting his demise. Not saying he can’t or even that he won’t do it this year.  Or that he’ll never do it  

im saying the goals have changed. 

In big part because of what he has already accomplished.  

at this point if the 2011 season, no way you would have convinced any of us that 2 months later Les would be absolutely hated by vast majority of this fanbase.  But we know what happened.

The goalposts moved. 

I didn't hate les after that. I changed zero after that game. 

He started losing me when he let the team quit after losing to InbredGumps. O has corrected that. He completely lost me in 2016 on the frozen tundra if Lambeau when he refused to change a damn thing. O has made necessary changes. Miles refused. 

You said in the podcast we were in the same place in 2015, top 2 with Heisman front runner heading into the InbredGumps game. Somehow you fail to see the difference. 

WE LOST THAT GAME! And why? Because of a stubborn refusal to change to beat the opposition. 

This year we WON THAT GAME,  because O recognized and was humble enough to change what didn't work. 

This is NOT where we were with Miles. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Of course you do lol. You were as adamant as any O was the wrong hire. You were wrong too. Y'all hurry up and come aboard before the train leaves the station. 

I was skeptical of the hire.  I certainly didn't think we would get Herman and said as such.  I wasn't sure O was the right hire, esp after we lost to Troy.  But he did what he needed to do to get us where we are now and for that, I respect him.  Geaux Coach O!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I didn't hate les after that. I changed zero after that game. 

He started losing me when he let the team quit after losing to InbredGumps. O has corrected that. He completely lost me in 2016 on the frozen tundra if Lambeau when he refused to change a damn thing. O has made necessary changes. Miles refused. 

You said in the podcast we were in the same place in 2015, top 2 with Heisman front runner heading into the InbredGumps game. Somehow you fail to see the difference. 

WE LOST THAT GAME! And why? Because of a stubborn refusal to change to beat the opposition. 

This year we WON THAT GAME,  because O recognized and was humble enough to change what didn't work. 

This is NOT where we were with Miles. 

whoa! where did i say THIS is where we were with Miles in 2015? I said we were here in 2011. 

i've given O a ton of credit for this. the turnaround, the Brady hire, the position we’re currently in, etc.  on another board i agreed with you that he’s earned a raise this year. 

22 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Y'all hurry up and come aboard before the train leaves the station. 

actually, THIS portion of your post is the biggest problem i have with the “pro-O” or whatever you call them crowd. 

I have not been negative to him. I have not bashed him. I have not discredited him. i have not bad mouthed him in any way.  In fact i gave him credit for literally everything we are seeing now.

but because i don’t have him propped up on a pedestal, i get pegged as a nega. 

and BECAUSE of the job he’s done to this point now, we are the front runners for a title.  A position that comes with added expectations and more pressure.

THAT is what i said.  He has now crossed the point of no return. 

let me try to clarify it like this:

the day Miles was fired, the narrative was that this was a Natty ready team that Miles held back.  The right coach has us in the mix immediately.

in 2016, it was Miles’ fault we couldn’t beat Alabama or Florida.

2017 the excuse was we didn’t have the depth to beat TROY or at least hang with State (hope and pray).  This is a total rebuild.

Last year they said we didn’t have the players in the trenches.   It wasn’t coaching, it was talent that we lacked.

well, here we are now. Miles been gone. We have depth. 

All of the excuses are officially null and void.   we are NOW where the fanbase and administration said we were 3 years ago.

i’m not moving the goalposts.  my goalposts have been right here since November 2015. Everybody else SAID their goalposts were here too back then.  And then they moved the fornicate out of them since then.  Y’all are just now getting them back around to where i’ve been all along.

When's the last time we were here AFTER the InbredGumps game?

That's my argument. 

2011, and personally, I did not go anti-miles following 1/9/12... or really anywhere close to that. Not til Lambeau. I wasn't happy end of 2015, I was conflicted. I was ok when it looked like he'd be fired but unsure of the move. 

You gotta realize, it was ME that brought it up in the podcast. So it was based on MY prior feelings. A large faction of the LSU fan base hated miles from 2005 Tennessee. I wasn't talking about those people. Frick those people. I was talking about me and you. 

For me, O has proven me wrong and I'm acknowledging that based on right now. And the recruiting is going to be the key. Miles was losing recruiting battles O is now winning. 

The tide is going out. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

let me try to clarify it like this:

the day Miles was fired, the narrative was that this was a Natty ready team that Miles held back.  The right coach has us in the mix immediately.

in 2016, it was Miles’ fault we couldn’t beat Alabama or Florida.

2017 the excuse was we didn’t have the depth to beat TROY or at least hang with State (hope and pray).  This is a total rebuild.

Last year they said we didn’t have the players in the trenches.   It wasn’t coaching, it was talent that we lacked.

well, here we are now. Miles been gone. We have depth. 

All of the excuses are officially null and void.   we are NOW where the fanbase and administration said we were 3 years ago.

i’m not moving the goalposts.  my goalposts have been right here since November 2015. Everybody else SAID their goalposts were here too back then.  And then they moved the fornicate out of them since then.  Y’all are just now getting them back around to where i’ve been all along.

It was certainly not my opinion that we were natty ready, and I think anyone who thought that was delusional.  Nick had been out recruiting us for several years.  He got more 5* players annually, and signed more 4* than we did.  Miles signed 4* QB's, but they turned out to be duds.  We lacked a creditable passing game, and it was because we didn't have top QB's, nor a scheme that allowed the receivers to win one on one battles.  Remember the Arky LB pointing to the hole where the RB was going to go?  That was pathetic, a total lack of creativity in the offense.  Studwara is an o-line coach again, and Cam Cameron has not coached a down in 3 years.  We had the talent to beat 9 teams a year, but when we got up against comparable talent, they knew what we were going to do and they could shut us down.  Miles was too conservative and went to run out the clock with a one score lead midway in the third quarter.  Usually we won, but sometimes we didn't, we got caught. 

I thought it was time for Miles to go.  We gave him an opportunity to change, and frankly I thought it was a mistake, we should have made the change when it was so widely rumored that it would happen.  That cost us two down years of recruiting.  Miles retained Cam Cameron and utterly failed to change.

I didn't think we had the talent to beat InbredGumps initially under O, my expectations were that a new coach would have to improve recruiting and change the offense so we had a creditable passing attack.  We needed better balance.

O has improved recruiting, and he's changed the offense so the passing threat became more creditable.  He didn't get it exactly right the first two years as head coach, but he knew what he didn't want and changed again, and he finally got what he wanted.  Burrow was sort of a stroke of luck, but it has all come together this year.  Better players, better coaching on offense, better balance.  If you sell out to stop the run, we can pass you silly.  We make them defend the whole field, and mix it with some smart routes with rubs, or start in bunches which make it harder to defend.  Hallelujah, we got us a team.  In O's third year, I think that's pretty darn good!  That is about my best case scenario of what it would take to build the program up to beat Alabama.

Was the objective to be able to compete for championships?  Absolutely.  Was that expected in O's first full year?  Absolutely not, not in my book.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

The tide is going out. 

I would not say the tide is going out.  I would say that right now, we can compete on an equal footing.  My expectation is this will be a dog fight among equals every year, and we had to improve to get to that level.  For a while, we had lost the game before we got in the plane.