Gameday Tigers

NOW we're #1!

Fishhead

33 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Thoughts? 

For perspective, in 11 wins, LSU has averaged scoring over 47.2 PPG including against FOUR Top-1o opponents.

Comparatively, UA’s 1o-1 games have only averaged 46.3 PPG but included only one Top-1o opponent.

And OSU’s 11 wins have averaged 48.6 PPG but included only one Top-1o opponent.

no offense dad, but people really need to get away from “at time game was played” mentality with rankings.  

the committee uses CURRENTLY ranked as their guidelines when slotting teams. 

Texas is not a top 10 team.  Probably never should have been either. 

Our schedule is good enough to not have to embellish it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

no offense dad, but people really need to get away from “at time game was played” mentality with rankings.  

I asked for thoughts, like your opinion. 

What about this one?

Hardest schedule in history? Texas A&M becomes first team to face three No. 1 teams in same season

Aggies set to face top-ranked LSU in regular-season finale; already fell to previous No. 1′s Clemson, Alabama.

Texas A&M Aggies quarterback Kellen Mond (11) runs the ball during the first quarter of a college football game between Texas A&M and Alabama on Saturday, October 12, 2019 at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)
Texas A&M Aggies quarterback Kellen Mond (11) runs the ball during the first quarter of a college football game between Texas A&M and Alabama on Saturday, October 12, 2019 at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)(Ashley Landis / Staff Photographer)

By Alex Miller

1:18 PM on Nov 24, 2019

Texas A&M added to its case of having the hardest schedule in history Sunday.

With the unveiling of the latest AP Top 25, the Aggies will be the first team ever to face three No. 1 teams in a single season as they are set to travel to top-ranked LSU next Saturday in Baton Rouge, La.

The Tigers (11-0, 7-0 SEC) clinched the SEC West crown Saturday night with a 56-20 thumping of Arkansas and has held the top spot in the AP Poll for six-straight weeks now.

ADVERTISING

A&M lost to then-No. 1’s Clemson (24-10) and Alabama (47-28) earlier this season. Those Tigers and the Crimson Tide haven’t fallen far either since sitting atop the polls. Clemson (11-0, 8-0 SEC) came in at No. 3 in this week’s poll and is only behind other undefeated teams LSU and Ohio State. Alabama (10-1, 6-1 SEC) sits at No. 5 and its lone loss was a 46-41 defeat to LSU.

LSU players were already looking ahead to next Saturday’s game against A&M following the win over Arkansas in hopes of serving some revenge after falling in the unforgettable 74-72 7OT shootout last season.

“Immediately after the game, it was like, it’s already redemption time as far as next week,” LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire told reporters after last night’s game. “The gear’s already switched. That’s how it’s been every week. We owe those guys a lot from last year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

A&M played hard in its losses to Clemson and Alabama, but after falling to No. 4 Georgia, 19-13, Saturday night, the Aggies hope they can turn the corner with another upset over LSU knowing the Tigers are coming.

Plus, this fact still stands true nearly a year later: A&M is the last team to beat LSU in football.

“Hopefully the moral victories will be over with and we’ll have an incredible environment to go into next week and play a really good team,” A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said. “It’s giving you experience and it’s making you grow up very quickly.”

Edited by LSUDad

1 minute ago, LSUDad said:

I asked for thoughts, like your opinion. 

yeah i know. 

but didn’t know how to say that one without coming across as a dick or sounding like i was lessening our schedule. 

Texas is hot garbage this year. they have lost to every team with a pulse they faced plus even have a loss to a team with a losing record. 

Even with a win in Iron Bowl, Auburn may still be outside the top 10 as well with 3 losses.

the gap between our schedule and tOSU is not as big as our fanbase tries to make it.

8 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Agree, but they do a preseason ranking to start every year, I know it would be better to wait a month after games start to get a true feel, but they have to sell it. Then the same thing with ranking teams on the West coast, they want folks to stay up late to watch the West coast team. 

1 minute ago, LSUDad said:

Agree, but they do a preseason ranking to start every year, I know it would be better to wait a month after games start to get a true feel, but they have to sell it. Then the same thing with ranking teams on the West coast, they want folks to stay up late to watch the West coast team. 

yeah, I'm not a fan of the preseason rankings, but they are what they are.

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

yeah, I'm not a fan of the preseason rankings, but they are what they are.

While the preseason and "at time of" rankings do exist, by now we know they are a joke.

and actually (not you, but definitely others I've seen) want to give LSU credit for beating "top 10" Texas in week 2, but say Clemson has played zero ranked teams.  A&M was #12 when they played in week 2.

but we all know A&M had no business being that high, so we (correctly) don't count that.
same should be said about the Texas game on our schedule.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

yeah i know. 

but didn’t know how to say that one without coming across as a dick or sounding like i was lessening our schedule. 

Texas is hot garbage this year. they have lost to every team with a pulse they faced plus even have a loss to a team with a losing record. 

Even with a win in Iron Bowl, Auburn may still be outside the top 10 as well with 3 losses.

the gap between our schedule and tOSU is not as big as our fanbase tries to make it.

To look at most teams schedules, you will see much of the same. Last season to start against Miami, they were #8, we were #25. Nothing we can do, play the teams. 

5 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

To look at most teams schedules, you will see much of the same. Last season to start against Miami, they were #8, we were #25. Nothing we can do, play the teams. 

oh, i agree there is nothing we can do.

more just pointing out that when discussing teams and their schedules, using currently ranked is (IMHO and the committee's) a more accurate gauge of your schedule strength.  Especially when talking about games in first couple weeks of season when rankings are literally just a guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dachsie said:

I wonder why they switched us.  We still have the better resume

A. it’s a LOT closer than you think  

B. the closest game they’ve played all year is 11 points  

C. they look a lot better on defense than we have at times. 

D. completely irrelevant this week.  the one two weeks from now is the only one that matters. 

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

ok - so if we stay at #2, I will be in AZ for the Fiesta bowl.  I wonder if I can afford the ticket?

waaaaaay too much football left to be played to make any plan. 

depending on who is #4, we could be in Atlanta as the two seed. 

of course we could be in Fiesta as the 1 seed as well. 

just too many possible outcomes still on the table. 

17 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

A. it’s a LOT closer than you think  

B. the closest game they’ve played all year is 11 points  

C. they look a lot better on defense than we have at times. 

D. completely irrelevant this week.  the one two weeks from now is the only one that matters. 

waaaaaay too much football left to be played to make any plan. 

depending on who is #4, we could be in Atlanta as the two seed. 

of course we could be in Fiesta as the 1 seed as well. 

just too many possible outcomes still on the table. 

Preface: I fully agree it's irrelevant

But you and the committee both point out tOSU is better defensively. 

Umm, LSU is better offensively. 

And I don't care how close it is. LSU clearly has the (current) better resume.  The committee chair himself pointed out Ohio State's 3 wins over current top 19 teams,  per their own criteria.  How stupid of him to point that out as his number one reason when LSU has 3 wins over current top 15 teams by their own criteria! Including two top 10 wins vs zero for tOSU.

Again, I agree it doesn't matter at this point, but come on trying to defend it lol.

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

But you and the committee both point out tOSU is better defensively. 

Umm, LSU is better offensively. 

i agree LSU is better offensively. 

but it think the gap between LSU offense and tOSU offense is a lot smaller than the gap between the defenses. 

which allows them to finish games with big leads and gives them the nod in the “eye test”. 

absolutely ape-phuck A&M and beat UGA, and we’ll probably finish #1. 

13 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes they are. But being 2 v. 3 really isn't a big deal.

Agreed.

But who has Clemson really played?  Note that they lucked out against North Carolina as well.

We trounced TAMU whilst they beat the mighty Gamecocks.