Gameday Tigers

The defense

dachsie

Ok, since  no one else wants to start a topic about this elephant in the room, I will.  This years defense looks like it has taken a step backwards from the last couple of years.  Someone suggested Aranda was playing with different schemes to get ready for InbredGumps but what we saw Saturday was atrocious - 614 yds offense by Ole Piss?  We seemed to get it together for InbredGumps but it fell off the rails in this game.  What do you thinks going on?  I know we have had some injuries but what happened to next man up?  Is Aranda getting soft?  I know some will say InbredGumps fatigue but since the problems were there before InbredGumps, thats not the whole problem.  

What say you?

PS - I love the podcasts, but I feel like we have sacrificed the discussions after the games for them and am hoping to generate both again.

a combination of things led to a bad game. 

A. coming off a huge win against a team where we were a 3 TD favorite. 

B. Ole Piss has a much better offense than people are giving them credit for.  As in statistically this is the 2nd best offense we’ve faced all year behind only Alabama  

C. We absolutely missed Divinity.  We’re still missing Todd Harris too.  And we’ve said all year Delpit doesn’t look healthy.  Because of all this, were relying on a couple freshmen that aren’t quite ready (Flott and Ward), Vincent is playing out of position (IMO), and Jacoby Stevens has to stay home more often instead of being feee to disrupt like he did earlier this season. 

• Like 3

The first thing I would say is the OM QB looks like some sort of freak.  I have almost never seen a QB run away from a damn good LSU secondary like Plumlee did, since Cam Newton led Auburn to a Natty.

I think we've talked about this before, but our offense scores so fast that we give our opponent a lot of drives on which they can score, and they score more.

I think we've lost some quality depth.  Kelvin Joseph left the team, who would have been an experienced quality backup.  Lost Todd Harris.  Our backups are freshmen instead of upper classmen with experience.  Delpit does not look like himself.

I hate to say this, but out d-line that I thought would be great with Sr. talent, has underwhelmed.  They're just not playing as well as I thought they would.  They are good, but not dominant.  LSU recruited the two big DT's in the state this year, Guillory and Roy, and we need those guys to come in and improve the d-line play.

Chaisson gets out of position.  He bit hard on one fake, crashed down on a running back, and that fast QB ran around his end for a TD.  Makes me think Chaisson should not declare for the draft and stay and develop better judgment.  I think another year of experience would help him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Chaisson gets out of position.  He bit hard on one fake, crashed down on a running back, and that fast QB ran around his end for a TD.  Makes me think Chaisson should not declare for the draft and stay and develop better judgment.  I think another year of experience would help him.

that’s the modern version of the option.

QB decides to either keep or give based off of the end (in this case, OLB lines up at end). 

Chaisson crashes, he keeps. Chaisson stays home QB gives.  Either way the play is designed to avoid him. If QB makes proper read, K’Lavon is “out of position” on the play. 

• Like 1

Yes OM has one of the architects of the spread as its OC:

How did the game get so out of hand on the defensive end?

More than likely, you've heard of the Ole Piss offensive coordinator: Rich Rodriquez, whom Rebels head coach Matt Luke hired last December after the coach widely known as "Rich Rod" was fired from his head gig at Arizona.

Rodriguez is considered one of the pioneers of the spread offense, an offensive mind that garnered huge success with zone-read options out of the shotgun formation.

From 2001 to 2007, Rodriguez was the head coach at West Virginia, and the Mountaineers won four Big East Championships. His three-year stint at Michigan was unsuccessful, and he was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year at Arizona in 2014 before he was fired after going 17-21 in his final three seasons amidst an investigation into an off-the-field allegation of sexual harassment that Rodriguez denied.

Rodriguez's spread option attack confounded LSU in the full view of Saturday night's game. But, LSU started the game by scoring four consecutive touchdowns to lead 28-0. Within Ole Piss' first four drives, the LSU defense made the right plays to stop the Rebels, and sometimes Ole Piss just didn't execute its plays fully.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_790535d0-0981-11ea-b7ce-e7bb9da2b5e0.html

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

that’s the modern version of the option.

QB decides to either keep or give based off of the end (in this case, OLB lines up at end). 

Chaisson crashes, he keeps. Chaisson stays home QB gives.  Either way the play is designed to avoid him. If QB makes proper read, K’Lavon is “out of position” on the play.

On a running play, our d will have 3 down linemen and 2 middle linebackers to tackle the runner if he gets the ball.  It is not clear that Chaisson must crash down the line of scrimmage toward the center to try and tackle the runner, even if the RB got the handoff.  At that point, the end of the line is totally undefended.  Maybe Chaisson should have stayed home on the outside.  It looked like the LSU D stuffed the RB who did not have the ball, and Plumlee made a long gain, TD I think, going around end.

24 minutes ago, houtiger said:

On a running play, our d will have 3 down linemen and 2 middle linebackers to tackle the runner if he gets the ball.  It is not clear that Chaisson must crash down the line of scrimmage toward the center to try and tackle the runner, even if the RB got the handoff.  At that point, the end of the line is totally undefended.  Maybe Chaisson should have stayed home on the outside.  It looked like the LSU D stuffed the RB who did not have the ball, and Plumlee made a long gain, TD I think, going around end.

well, neither you nor i knows what the defensive call was on those plays. 

So i can’t say what Chaisson was or wasn’t supposed to do on that particular snap.  I will say that i’ve never heard of him having any sort of issues with missing assignments. 

what i do know is that on the option play, the QB has to make a read.  Typically it’s the end that he’s reading, but in some older style option offenses it’s a tackle that he reads. 

Ole Urine runs a modern read-option style which vast majority is based off the end movement. 

so no matter what Chaisson does, if the QB makes the proper read, Chaisson will be nowhere near the play.