Gameday Tigers

Coach Ed Orgeron

Herb

I owe CEO an apology.

I never imagined he'd be this effective as a head coach. I was wrong.

We all felt the sting of LSU being jilted by Dimbo Fisher and Thhom Herrman. I personally felt like we settled amd I was confused and angry that we had fired THE most successful HC in LSU history without "upgrading".

I realized we needed to move on from a Les Miles who - in the end - was incapable of instituting needed changes in personnel, scheme, and players.

It was easy to look at Orgeron's failures at Ole Miss, shennanigans at Tennessee with Kiffen the Minor, that USC must have had a reason for passing over him in favor of a drunk, and other tidbits of Orgeron's past and arrive at a 'WTF' moment.

The good news is that we can now apply the legal disclaimer stock brokers use when they rape you out of your life's savings: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." 

In hindsight, Joe Alleva made a solid hire. <<== (This might cause discomfort for some to acknowledge.)

What we did not see when we were disappointed in Orgeron's hiring was that this was a man who has truly learned from past mistakes and failings on both a professional and personal level. It was hard to see this when we lost to Troy and others and were 3rd in the final SEC West standings.

What we know now is that Orgeron made adjustments every step along the way and took advantage of any opportunity to improve the LSU Tigers. There are 3 key things where this is illustrated most:

1. Convincing Joe Burrow to transfer to LSU instead of Cincinatti.
  2. Hiring Joe Brady as an offensive assistant and allowing Ensminger and Brady to make a clean break with LSU's historic identity as a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" team.
  3. Elevating LSU's recruiting to one notch higher than where it was under Les Miles.

So here we are...

• 12-0 undefeated record
  • A lock for our 1st ever CFP appearance
  • Burrow has essentially kicked the door in for winning the university's 2nd Heisman in history (we can talk about the Heisman bias against LSU later)
  • A recruiting class that looks like it has a chance to be the #1 recruiting class in the nation depending on how the final few chips fall (we'll likely wing up with teh 2nd ranked class)
  • A QB inheriting next year's starting role that is not a clown in danger of getting kicked off of the team

No one ever predicted that any of this might happen under Ed Orgeron.  Most people assumed Orgeron was a placeholder who'd be on the hotseat by now.

I was dead wrong.

I bow to the man that has delivered LSU fans arguably its greatest season ever.

Brown-capped%20Rosy-Finch%20m55-2-063_V.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

The good news is that we can now apply the legal disclaimer stock brokers use when they rape you out of your life's savings: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." 

In hindsight, Joe Alleva made a solid hire. <<== (This might cause discomfort for some to acknowledge.)

Great job Herb, I too have to get with you on this one. I attended a luncheon with my financial advisor. One of the advisors in the group is a InbredGumps grad. He put up the past records and NC’s of InbredGumps. I used that same line about past results. Got a major laugh from all in the crowd. The next speaker was a Tiger grad. allowing all on three to give a GEAUX Tigers. 

Joe with all his faults made a major hire.

Jimbo is not the same, far from it. A good friend of mine called me once aTm hired him. Told me off a few things, on and off the field. One guy I been knowing, left Fla St., is now on the staff at LSU with O. Jimbo didn’t take a few more that were with him at St. Jimbo’s reason, “We had been together too long.” Still, on Jimbo’s staff, I know of around 4 guys that have coached at LSU. Some of his staff will be leaving after this year. I know of one that will be in the running for a HC’ing job. With a great chance to get it. Remember this, they don’t have a AD like LSU does anymore. The Jimbo hire was at one time, thought by me the be a great hire, the O hire,  we settled for what we could get. Reverse those two. The UTx hire was done with great care. It was known, Tom wanted only that job, knowing his agent, Joe played this one. Helping UTx run up the bidding war, only to back out, leaving UTx in a spot having to pay big time. 

Remember this Bill  Belichick was once fired from the Browns, one of the greatest Pro Coaches ever. He having learned by passed mistakes. 

Now moving on to the little short guy with the temper tantrum. Where does he go from here? Don’t know, but this year has knocked him and his fan base back down a few notches. O is getting the players, he’s not where he wants to be just yet, but close. I would tell folks with the staff and recruits shorty gets, he should never lose a game. 

As for O, his staff and the season, enjoy this one folks, odds are against us ever seeing another one of these in our lifetime. But with O, you never know, I could be wrong on this one also. Now, let’s go take care of that puppy next week. 

Most of my family, Mom and Three sisters live in Ga. They are all still Tiger fans. One of my nephews got married in New Orleans the weekend of the MooU game. I told my sister if the LSU game was still on, I would be in the bar till it ended. They could start the wedding without me. The game ended and the wedding started. Most of their friends that attended, are big UGA fans. I have a beautiful Tiger tie that goes well with every suit and sports coat I have. I wore it that night. I wore it when my niece/Godchild got married to a MooU graduate, she was an LSU Golden Girl. I wear my colors proudly. 

Enjoy your week folks, these are the Golden Years at LSU right now, don’t let them fly by too quickly. 

GEAUX TIGERS AND GEAUX JOE!!!

• Like 2

i ain’t giving Joe Alleva credit for jack shyte. 

he is the most incompetent pile of shyte to ever be employed in any capacity by a major university. 

He got lucky.   He followed his entire career MO of taking the cheap lazy way out by promoting an interim with a shady past. 

an analogy. 

If you decide to save money by getting a homeless guy to remove your appendix in a back alley, you bad a really bad decision. 

If that homeless bum happens to perform the surgery successfully and have no negative side effects, you got lucky. 

doesn’t change the fact that the decision was stupid. 

so fornicate Alleva with the biggest cactus in Arizona. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

i ain’t giving Joe Alleva credit for jack shyte. 

he is the most incompetent pile of shyte to ever be employed in any capacity by a major university. 

He got lucky.   He followed his entire career MO of taking the cheap lazy way out by promoting an interim with a shady past. 

an analogy. 

If you decide to save money by getting a homeless guy to remove your appendix in a back alley, you bad a really bad decision. 

If that homeless bum happens to perform the surgery successfully and have no negative side effects, you got lucky. 

doesn’t change the fact that the decision was stupid. 

so fornicate Alleva with the biggest cactus in Arizona. 

Epic Nootch right there!

Don't ever change, bro.

• Like 2

One thing I definitely wasn't prepared for is the usage of analytics Coach O employs.  It really works.  I mean, they track each player throughout practice and can tell when an individual or a group is slower than normal, and they adjust practice for that person, group, or the whole team to save them.  

I brought it up in the preseason podcast, pre Nootch versions, that they were utilizing "load management" on a lot of guys.  

These are things I didn't figure Coach O to be up to speed on, but it honestly looks like he's one of the best at it.  He has totally proven me wrong with regards to allowing others to do their job, like, in this instance, Jack Marrucci.  I do think he started this stuff when he was first named interim...if you recall, he immediately eased up on practices from when Miles was running it and the team reflected it right away seeming fresher and faster.  But with regards to other situations, we know he "meddled" here and there, and it seems he's no longer doing that, especially with the offense.  

Color me converted, I'm a Cheeri-O.   

• Like 2

It appears Coach O is an old dog that is willing to learn new tricks.  Personally, as a fellow Cajun who has spent his entire life in (b*tch I'm from) Louisiana and who is also prone to "talk like 'dat" after a few beers, I am extremely proud of him and very happy for all the success he and LSU are experiencing.

• Like 1

Not a fan of ESPN but friend sent me this article on Coach O and its pretty good:

How coach Ed Orgeron's redemption led to LSU football's transformation

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28213896/how-coach-ed-orgeron-redemption-led-lsu-football-transformation

And to dispel any doubt that O doesn't know offense here is our soon to be Heisman Trophy winning QB on the topic:

Burrow says it was "blind faith" that led him to commit to LSU over Cincinnati, believing Orgeron was a man of his word and was ready to change, even if it wasn't going to be immediate. That "rah-rah guy" he saw from the outside? Burrow learned, "He's really intelligent, as well. He's an X's-and-O's guy, he really is, on defense and on offense."

Edited by Hatchertiger

14 hours ago, dachsie said:

I wasn't sure O could do it either, but I am really glad he proved us wrong.  After Troy I was really doubting things, but you gotta hit rock bottom to go up I guess.  So glad we are where we are now.

Nobody was "sure" O could do it.  It was not that kind of hire.  My point was that I did not feel one could confidently predict that he would fail.  He failed at Ole Piss, no mistake about that.  The question was what did he learn from the failure?  Was it going to be enough.  He said he learned that he could not do it all, like he tried to do at OM.  He could not go around telling the assistant coaches how to do their job, he had to let them do their job, and hold them accountable for success.  It seems to me he learned to be more supportive and less critical of others, and that has to create a better coaches room.  His assistants now seem to work together well, and some of that is a tribute to Aranda and Ensminger.  Then there were new proof points, his success at USC as interim coach, and the successful interim campaign at LSU after Miles was fired.  I thought Miles recruiting had fallen off and there was a talent gap between us and InbredGumps, but O is supposed to be a good recruiter and that reputation seems to be well deserved as O has developed a relationship with kids in La. over a period of time and he is doing very well with the top 10 kids in La. (used to be the top 15).

My goal for O was to "win the West", that is my standard for the team.  That means we have to play well against Fla., InbredGumps, Auburn, Tx aTm.  If we are conference champions of the SEC west against our conference mates, we will have a very good team indeed, the rest will take care of itself.  That is my standard for the team.

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Nobody was "sure" O could do it.  It was not that kind of hire.  My point was that I did not feel one could confidently predict that he would fail.  He failed at Ole goldenshower, no mistake about that.  The question was what did he learn from the failure?  Was it going to be enough.  He said he learned that he could not do it all, like he tried to do at OM.  He could not go around telling the assistant coaches how to do their job, he had to let them do their job, and hold them accountable for success.  It seems to me he learned to be more supportive and less critical of others, and that has to create a better coaches room.  His assistants now seem to work together well, and some of that is a tribute to Aranda and Ensminger.  Then there were new proof points, his success at USC as interim coach, and the successful interim campaign at LSU after Miles was fired.  I thought Miles recruiting had fallen off and there was a talent gap between us and InbredGumps, but O is supposed to be a good recruiter and that reputation seems to be well deserved as O has developed a relationship with kids in La. over a period of time and he is doing very well with the top 10 kids in La. (used to be the top 15).

My goal for O was to "win the West", that is my standard for the team.  That means we have to play well against Fla., InbredGumps, Auburn, Tx aTm.  If we are conference champions of the SEC west against our conference mates, we will have a very good team indeed, the rest will take care of itself.  That is my standard for the team.

I think that's a fair standard, because as it currently sits, that means you're a helluva team. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 8:29 AM, LSUDad said:Jimbo is not the same, far from it. A good friend of mine called me once aTm hired him. Told me off a few things, on and off the field. One guy I been knowing, left Fla St., is now on the staff at LSU with O. Jimbo didn’t take a few more that were with him at St. Jimbo’s reason, “We had been together too long.” Still, on Jimbo’s staff, I know of around 4 guys that have coached at LSU. Some of his staff will be leaving after this year. I know of one that will be in the running for a HC’ing job. With a great chance to get it. Remember this, they don’t have a AD like LSU does anymore. The Jimbo hire was at one time, thought by me the be a great hire, the O hire,  we settled for what we could get. Reverse those two. The UTx hire was done with great care. It was known, Tom wanted only that job, knowing his agent, Joe played this one. Helping UTx run up the bidding war, only to back out, leaving UTx in a spot having to pay big time. 

Remember this Bill  Belichick was once fired from the Browns, one of the greatest Pro Coaches ever. He having learned by passed mistakes. 

Now moving on to the little short guy with the temper tantrum. Where does he go from here? Don’t know, but this year has knocked him and his fan base back down a few notches. O is getting the players, he’s not where he wants to be just yet, but close. I would tell folks with the staff and recruits shorty gets, he should never lose a game. 

As for O, his staff and the season, enjoy this one folks, odds are against us ever seeing another one of these in our lifetime. But with O, you never know, I could be wrong on this one also. Now, let’s go take care of that puppy next week. 

Enjoy your week folks, these are the Golden Years at LSU right now, don’t let them fly by too quickly. 

GEAUX TIGERS AND GEAUX JOE!!!

A revisit. 

• Like 1