Gameday Tigers

F’ing Alexander GEAUX

LSUDad

LSU President F. King Alexander being eyed for University of California job

in News
Source: Los Angeles Times

BATON ROUGE - LSU's president is on the shortlist of candidates for one of the top college jobs in all of California. 

According to a report from the Los Angeles Times, LSU' F. King Alexander is among the few candidates being discussed at faculty meetings as the potential next president at the University of California.

The talks come after the recent announcement by current UC President Janet Napolitano, who plans to give up the job in the summer. 

When asked if he's interested in the job, Alexander reportedly remarked that his wife is "fond of the weather in Long Beach" and that he was keeping his options open. 

Alexander put his Baton Rouge home up for sale earlier this year, announcing that he was moving to university-owned housing now that his children were grown.

Alexander first took over as LSU's university president in summer 2013. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We Always Thought F. King Alexander Looked Like A Beaver…

DECEMBER 13, 2019…and so today’s news that he’s taking the job at Oregon State as its new president is quite fitting.

LSU President King Alexander could be named president of Oregon State University Friday after seven years at Louisiana’s flagship university.

Oregon State University’s Board of Trustees will make the announcement during a special board meeting noon central time Friday at OSU’s Memorial Union Horizon Room in Corvallis. The meeting is open to the public.

USA Today Network is seeking comment from Alexander.

Two sources with direct knowledge of the process, among them a member of the LSU Board of Supervisors, told USA Today Network Alexander informed them he expected to be the choice.

Getting rid of Alexander, who for the last six years has been LSU’s president and under whose leadership the university has stagnated while conducting a war on the Greek system, stocking its faculty with an abundance of leftist ideologues and haranguing legislators for tax increases to support larger budgets, makes this one of the better weeks in the history of the Ole War Skule. After yesterday’s college football awards, which LSU virtually swept with Ed Orgeron, Joe Brady, Joe Burrow, Ja’marr Chase and Grant Delpit all taking home hardware (Burrow is all but certain to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday as well), fans and supporters of the university can’t really ask for more.

We’re told it’s all but certain that Commissioner of Administration Jay Dardenne will take over for Alexander, as the LSU system president job is the one Dardenne has wanted for years. Dardenne has influential Baton Rouge businessman and former Louisiana Board of Regents chairman Richard Lipsey, who publicly campaigned for the end of athletic director Joe Alleva’s tenure as well as Alexander’s ouster, as his benefactor; the two have a long-standing connection, and he also has the backing of Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards and several key members of the LSU Board of Supervisors for the position, according to our sources.

Dardenne, whom Wikipedia hilariously dubs a “Rockefeller Republican,” might actually be the best LSU can get for the job under current circumstances, though his hiring will likely be poorly received by LSU’s faculty seeing as though tradition dictates the position requires a PhD. There is a recent pattern afoot in which state universities are starting to hire people outside of the academic world for top management, given that it’s very difficult to find non-ideological leftists in college faculty and administration and the nuts and bolts of running operations involving hundreds of millions of dollars don’t typically fall within the skill sets of the academic Left crowd. In that respect Dardenne could be useful in reining in some of what F. King Alexander has let get out of hand at LSU.

But that’s for next year. For now, it appears to be a done deal that Oregon State is taking the F. King Alexander problem off LSU’s hands, and that’s great news heading into the weekend.

Glad to see him going out. He has never held a professorship at a major university. How in hell he became president of LSU is beyond me. I think he'll do well back out on the left coast.

In other scuttlebutt, there have been rumors that Mark Emmert, former Chancellor at LSU, may return as president of the university. This may not be a bad thing. 

The big picture, though, is not just to support LSU athletics, but to return LSU to the prestige that it once held as a land and sea grant university and to ensure our graduates are among the best in the free world. 

So far, 2019 has been a really good year for us Tigers, and it just keeps getting better.

(Also, is anyone interested in joining me for a seance to bring back General Troy Middleton to run The Ole War Skule?)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Swamp Angel said:

(Also, is anyone interested in joining me for a seance to bring back General Troy Middleton to run The Ole War Skule?)

I need to get you hooked up with my good friend, he’s a retired Colonel from the Army. He wants to get a Sherman Tank for LSU, but he said that we would have to call it a M4 (105) tank. Oh, an today with the Heisman up in New York, he like Norm at Cheers. Everyone in Legends Bar in New York, knows him.

I made the NC game in New Orleans, the colonel got me a room on the base. When we found out that you couldn’t get a taxi, the MP at the gate, knowing the colonel, took a MP vehicle and dropped us off at Bourbon Street. Told us to call back for the return trip. 

• Like 1

Dad graduated in 1954. Back then all freshman and sophomore men were required to take ROTC. Dad wound up as Corps Commander (Cadet Colonel) in the spring semester of 54. He studied ordnance in ROTC while majoring in petroleum engineering. The ROTC guys who studied ordnance got to play with all the weapons systems, one of which was indeed a Sherman M4 tank. Dad and his buddies would take the tank out for drives once in awhile on South River Road (along the levee). They went further than usual from campus one day and came across a little shack on the east side of the road. From inside the tank it was hard to see your surroundings, so to get a better look at it they turned the turret toward the house. Dad said there were a few kids in the front yard playing at the time. Most of them scattered to the four winds while one ran into the house screaming.  In just a few seconds adults and kids were bailing out of the house from the doors and windows and running like hell to get away. It took Dad and his friends a couple moments to figure out what all the commotion was about. Then they realized that it probably hadn't been a good move to turn the main gun toward the house even though they were only trying to get a view of their surroundings. 

There was a brief inquiry made by the Commandant of Cadets (the actual Army officer who ran the ROTC program), and by General Troy Middleton himself, when they got back to campus, but it was determined that there was no threat intended and the issue was dropped. Reportedly, General Middleton had a hard time containing his laughter when hearing about the incident.

To this day, that is one of my favorite stories my dad ever told me about his time as a student at LSU. I can just see it in my mind's eye. And now you know how easily Dad brainwashed me as a small child and turned me into an LSU Tiger despite being raised in eastern Kentucky.

Edited by The Swamp Angel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1