Gameday Tigers

LSU Vs Oklahoma December 28th, Atlanta, Ga

LSUDad

9 hours ago, houtiger said:

One thing that bothers me about this game is how confident us fans are of a win.  The OK defense is not known to be a great unit, and we've moved the ball against some very good units, like Fla., Auburn, Alabama, and Ga.  I'm pretty confident of a win.  I hope our players are ready to play the #4 team in the nation.  Maybe O posts some locker room quotes, but he's got to get the team focused and ready.  I know he's been trying, but over-confidence can creep in and be hard to judge.

Stats aren't the end all-be all, but it's hard to ignore stats like...

LSU red zone offense: #1

OU red zone defense: #126

I mean damn son 

• Like 1

Joe Burrow won't repeat Jason White's performance in LSU-Oklahoma game

Les East | 20 hours ago

He came out of nowhere to become the most productive quarterback in college football.

He won the Heisman Trophy.

00:24
04:39

00:08

He led his top-ranked team into the postseason with a national championship clearly in its sight.

Yeah, all of that applies to LSU’s Joe Burrow as he prepares to lead the No. 1 Tigers against No. 4 Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl on Saturday in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

But all of that also applied to one of the quarterbacks in the last LSU-Oklahoma game.

It was 16 years ago.

The Sooners’ Jason White had played very little in 3 seasons – partly due to injuries – before what was supposed to be his senior season in 2003. He opened eyes all over the country by passing for more than 3,800 yards with 40 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

He later was granted a 6th season of eligibility in the wake of time missed due to multiple injuries, but in 2003 he was a consensus All-American as he led OU to an undefeated regular season.

Unlike White, Burrow had a full season as a starter at LSU last season, but he still wasn’t on anyone’s Heisman radar before the season – and the Tigers weren’t considered the strongest of CFP contenders.

But Burrow has been even more productive this season than White was in 2003. The former Ohio State quarterback has thrown for more than 4,700 yards and has 48 touchdown passes and just 6 interceptions.

Burrow won the Heisman by a record margin and he and the offense represent the biggest challenge to the other Playoff participants, similar to the challenge that White and the Sooners’ offense presented to the 2003 Tigers.

White and OU were favored to beat LSU in the BCS Championship in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, but White couldn’t add a team trophy to his individual trophy as the Tigers prevailed 21-14.

Could a similar outcome be awaiting the climax to Burrow’s Heisman season – a disappointing team short-fall after the Heisman triumph?

Hardly.

Sure, the Sooners could beat the Tigers and Burrow could fall short of the near-perfection that he has demonstrated all season long.

But if Burrow and LSU do come up short, it won’t look anything like the last OU-LSU game with national-championship implications.

In that game in the Superdome, Nick Saban’s defense harassed White throughout the night.

White operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun because of limited mobility due to major knee surgery. LSU sacked him 5 times for 46 yards in losses. He completed 13-of-37 passes for a mere 102 yards. He didn’t throw a touchdown pass. He threw 2 interceptions.

One of the interceptions was returned 20 yards by Marcus Spears for a touchdown just seconds into the 3rd quarter.

That gave the Tigers a 21-7 lead. The Sooners got a 4th-quarter touchdown to make it a 1-score game, but they couldn’t catch up as White’s last 8 passes were incomplete.

This year’s Oklahoma defense is inconsistent. It’s not going to slow down Burrow the way LSU slowed down White. It won’t even come close.

For one thing, Burrow is far more mobile than White was. Burrow gets rid of the ball too quickly.

Burrow is completing nearly 80 percent of his passes. Anything approaching White’s 35 percent completion rate against LSU is unimaginable for Burrow.

The final score in this game isn’t going to be anything like 21-14. Both those teams had better defenses than these teams have. Both these teams have better offenses than those teams had – even with White’s remarkable regular season.

Jason White had an outstanding season in 2003. Joe Burrow has had an even more outstanding season in 2019.

LSU won that national championship primarily because of the way it shut down White and the OU offense.

If OU wins this semifinal game and moves on to the title game back in the Superdome, it will be because it overcomes an inability to shut down Burrow and the LSU offense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Joe Burrow won't repeat Jason White's performance in LSU-Oklahoma game

Les East | 20 hours ago

He came out of nowhere to become the most productive quarterback in college football.

He won the Heisman Trophy.

00:24
04:39

00:08

He led his top-ranked team into the postseason with a national championship clearly in its sight.

Yeah, all of that applies to LSU’s Joe Burrow as he prepares to lead the No. 1 Tigers against No. 4 Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl on Saturday in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

But all of that also applied to one of the quarterbacks in the last LSU-Oklahoma game.

It was 16 years ago.

The Sooners’ Jason White had played very little in 3 seasons – partly due to injuries – before what was supposed to be his senior season in 2003. He opened eyes all over the country by passing for more than 3,800 yards with 40 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

He later was granted a 6th season of eligibility in the wake of time missed due to multiple injuries, but in 2003 he was a consensus All-American as he led OU to an undefeated regular season.

Unlike White, Burrow had a full season as a starter at LSU last season, but he still wasn’t on anyone’s Heisman radar before the season – and the Tigers weren’t considered the strongest of CFP contenders.

But Burrow has been even more productive this season than White was in 2003. The former Ohio State quarterback has thrown for more than 4,700 yards and has 48 touchdown passes and just 6 interceptions.

Burrow won the Heisman by a record margin and he and the offense represent the biggest challenge to the other Playoff participants, similar to the challenge that White and the Sooners’ offense presented to the 2003 Tigers.

White and OU were favored to beat LSU in the BCS Championship in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, but White couldn’t add a team trophy to his individual trophy as the Tigers prevailed 21-14.

Could a similar outcome be awaiting the climax to Burrow’s Heisman season – a disappointing team short-fall after the Heisman triumph?

Hardly.

Sure, the Sooners could beat the Tigers and Burrow could fall short of the near-perfection that he has demonstrated all season long.

But if Burrow and LSU do come up short, it won’t look anything like the last OU-LSU game with national-championship implications.

In that game in the Superdome, Nick Saban’s defense harassed White throughout the night.

White operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun because of limited mobility due to major knee surgery. LSU sacked him 5 times for 46 yards in losses. He completed 13-of-37 passes for a mere 102 yards. He didn’t throw a touchdown pass. He threw 2 interceptions.

One of the interceptions was returned 20 yards by Marcus Spears for a touchdown just seconds into the 3rd quarter.

That gave the Tigers a 21-7 lead. The Sooners got a 4th-quarter touchdown to make it a 1-score game, but they couldn’t catch up as White’s last 8 passes were incomplete.

This year’s Oklahoma defense is inconsistent. It’s not going to slow down Burrow the way LSU slowed down White. It won’t even come close.

For one thing, Burrow is far more mobile than White was. Burrow gets rid of the ball too quickly.

Burrow is completing nearly 80 percent of his passes. Anything approaching White’s 35 percent completion rate against LSU is unimaginable for Burrow.

The final score in this game isn’t going to be anything like 21-14. Both those teams had better defenses than these teams have. Both these teams have better offenses than those teams had – even with White’s remarkable regular season.

Jason White had an outstanding season in 2003. Joe Burrow has had an even more outstanding season in 2019.

LSU won that national championship primarily because of the way it shut down White and the OU offense.

If OU wins this semifinal game and moves on to the title game back in the Superdome, it will be because it overcomes an inability to shut down Burrow and the LSU offense.

i mean Jason White has to go up against an all-time great defense. 

Burrow has to face Oklahoma. 

• Haha 1

A bag of grass? Yes, LSU's Joe Brady plucks a few blades 'at every field no matter what'

ATLANTA — Inside Bryant-Denny Stadium, less than an hour after LSU beat Alabama for the first time in eight years, Joe Brady returned to the field. The celebration had settled down, but before LSU began its trip home, Brady walked into the end zone.

Brady placed his leather briefcase against a nearby wall. He bent down and pulled a tuft of crimson-painted grass from the ground. Brady looked around, pausing for a moment during a historic season. Then Brady placed the grass in a plastic sandwich bag, dropped it into his briefcase and walked out of the stadium.

When Brady arrived home, he labeled the bag with LSU’s opponent, the stadium and the score: 46-41. He tossed it in his closet, continuing a tradition that has lasted almost his entire coaching career.

“I do that at every field,” Brady said. “No matter what.”

Throughout the season, Brady has redesigned LSU’s once-archaic offense with coordinator Steve Ensminger, giving LSU the third-highest scoring average — 47.8 points per game — in the country ahead of the Peach Bowl against No. 4 Oklahoma. The Tigers have moved to the front of college football’s offensive revolution, partially because of Brady, the 30-year-old passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

“I think it's important for coaches to put together a scheme and a system that fits the players,” Brady said. “We were fortunate that we were able to find what our players do well and put them in the best position to have success this year.”

Brady’s players did not describe him as a superstitious man, but he has routines. Before every game, Brady has walked the perimeter of the field, spinning a football as he listened to music. He shook the wide receivers’ hands during warmups, asked them if they felt ready, then went to the press box. He sat next to Ensminger, and together, they directed the offense.

“He's very confident as a coach,” junior Justin Jefferson said, “and we believe in him.”

After games, Brady has returned to the field, where he grabbed clumps of grass. The tradition began when he worked as a graduate assistant at Penn State from 2015-2016. He noticed Ricky Rahne, the Nittany Lions’ passing game coordinator at the time, plucked grass from every stadium. Rahne displayed it in his basement in small jars. Plaques underneath them marked the game.

Brady liked the collection, so he took grass, too. When teams played on artificial turf early in his career, he thought about cutting off pieces with scissors.

“What I'll do with it one day,” Brady said, “I have no idea.”

Brady continued the tradition during his two years as an offensive assistant with the Saints, snipping grass from NFL stadiums throughout the country as he absorbed terminology and schemes.

Brady moved the bags of grass to Baton Rouge when LSU hired him last January. The Tigers picked him to change their offense. He helped Ensminger install run-pass option plays and spread schemes. He taught the wide receivers drills to reduce drops, and Brady incorporated a game with tennis balls to improve hand-eye coordination. He has played it with the wide receivers every Thursday afternoon.

As LSU completed an undefeated regular season, Brady added to his grass collection from schools throughout the Southeastern Conference. When the Tigers played for the SEC Championship, he grabbed confetti because Mercedes-Benz Stadium used an artificial turf field.

"He has what?" sophomore wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase said. "He moving in silence right now. We don't see that."

Brady labeled each bag, then stashed them in his closet with the rest from his career. At the end of every season, Brady has thought he would create a way to display the blades of grass. He hasn’t yet, but maybe one day, he said, he’ll put them in a man cave.

“I might just throw them all out at some point, but right now, they're just in a bunch of sandwich bags,” Brady said. “I'm not very normal.”

If Brady, who won the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach, remains at LSU next season — the athletic department has already started contract negotiations to keep him on staff — he will have to design an offense without quarterback Joe Burrow, the winner of the Heisman Trophy. Brady can also collect grass from Florida, Arkansas, Auburn and Texas A&M.

But as LSU makes its first appearance in the College Football Playoff, Brady will try to help win the Tigers' first national championship since 2007. He has encouraged players to approach the season one game at a time, and he does the same thing, writing “1-0” on Twitter after each win. The mindset has not changed for the Peach Bowl.

“We have an ultimate goal,” Brady said. “I'll be fulfilled on Jan. 13.”

On Saturday afternoon, Brady will return to Mercedes-Benz Stadium. He has coached inside the venue multiple times, both with the Saints and LSU. But needing scissors for clips of the artificial turf, he has no grass from Atlanta. For now.

“I tried getting Atlanta when I was in New Orleans,” Brady said. “Atlanta is an empty bag. I just have some confetti in it right now from the last time we played there.”

image.png

image.png

image.png

From www.tulsaworld.com:

Sooners take an intense, introspective approach to Peach Bowl practice to change playoff fate

ATLANTA — It was finals week at Oklahoma, and the Sooners had just started recovering from their grueling Big 12 championship win over Baylor. Linebacker Kenneth Murray didn’t expect a text message from his head coach, but there it was.

“We all got it. Coach Riley wanted to have a team meeting,” Murray said Thursday from Peach Bowl media day. “Usually during that time, coaches are out recruiting and stuff like that. I was kind of surprised.”

Then Murray joined his fellow captains for a half-hour pre-meeting chat with Riley and understood. The third-year coach, tired of losing in the College Football Playoff, was ready to change his routine.

“Coach Riley called it ‘Fall Camp No. 2,’” fullback Jeremiah Hall said of OU’s revised approach to bowl practice. “It was our mentality. We needed to go in thinking it’s the beginning of the season, come in fast and just be prepared mentally more than anything.”

There were physical adjustments included.

“Practices were extremely competitive,” safety Pat Fields said. “We did a lot of good-on-good, a lot of one-on-ones.”

“We were real physical and had a lot of competition out there for about a week and a half,” inside receiver Lee Morris said.

“No going through the motions, put it like that,” left guard Marquis Hayes said. “Also, working on ourselves instead of working on LSU. Bettering ourselves.”

There was more attention to detail in the film and weight rooms, and a lot more out on the field.

“We practiced things over and over again,” cornerback Tre Brown said. “We were so in sync. Everybody was on the same page.”

The Sooners suffered from some gaps in fundamentals against Alabama and Georgia the past two playoff semifinals. Why not try a more introspective approach in this year’s playoff buildup?

OU was physical against the Crimson Tide and Bulldogs, but not physical enough. Why not get a little tougher in preparations this time?

Why not promote a bunker mentality like you do every August in preseason camp? The cohesion couldn’t hurt, especially when tasked with toppling a 14-point favorite.Players were around each other more this month than past Decembers. They were home less.

“If not going home before the game or not having as much down time means we win this game, and we go on to win the next game and do what we need to do, don’t send me home ever,” Murray said. “That’s how I feel.”

That’s how Murray and the captains met Riley’s revised plan back on finals week, signaling it would be just as well received at the full team meeting.

“Everybody bought in — young guys, older guys, whatever position they were in,” defensive tackle Neville Gallimore said. “Guys knew that we had an opportunity to do something special. Let’s make the most out of it.”

That was certainly a big part of the idea, taking full advantage of a chance afforded only four of 130 FBS teams every year.

But this was also about owning up to the notion it was time to change.

“We’ve been so close the last couple years,” Hayes said.

“It was necessary. It was very necessary,” safety Brendan Radley-Hiles said. “Sometimes you have to make more sacrifices to get more blessings.”

“I think it was extremely important,” Murray said. “It was a common sense approach. You can’t keep going into the same situation doing the same things over and over again. You’re only going to get the same results.

“It was good for us to take a different approach this time. It was good for us to get a different mentality. As a result we’re in great position to feel confident going into this game. I’m just ready to play.”

See our staff picks for the OU vs. LSU in the Peach Bowl

Didn't want to start an unnecessary new thread. My wife's Christmas present came in two days late, but just in time for the Peach Bowl. I ordered a white one for myself, but it hasn't shipped yet (from China). Hopefully mine, which is supposed to be white, will be here in time for the Natty. (Photo below. I have no idea why she wanted purple. I think I need to talk to her about home whites.)

On a side note, I haven't got tickets yet, but a friend of mine here in Atlanta who attended LSU at the same time I did in the late 80s, is supposed to call in a bit. We are hoping to make the game at the Mercedes Benz Stadium tomorrow, but if not, we'll find a way to get on chat and irritate the hell out of all y'all.

Geaux Tigahs!

Burreaux Jersey.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Swamp Angel said:

Didn't want to start an unnecessary new thread. My wife's Christmas present came in two days late, but just in time for the Peach Bowl. I ordered a white one for myself, but it hasn't shipped yet (from China). Hopefully mine, which is supposed to be white, will be here in time for the Natty. (Photo below. I have no idea why she wanted purple. I think I need to talk to her about home whites.)

On a side note, I haven't got tickets yet, but a friend of mine here in Atlanta who attended LSU at the same time I did in the late 80s, is supposed to call in a bit. We are hoping to make the game at the Mercedes Benz Stadium tomorrow, but if not, we'll find a way to get on chat and irritate the hell out of all y'all.

Geaux Tigahs!

Burreaux Jersey.jpg

The crew and I will be there around noon. 

• Like 1

LSU Fans Have Already Drunk The Team Hotel Out Of Beer Bottles

LSU's mascot celebrating with fans.GLENDALE, ARIZONA - JANUARY 01: LSU Tigers fans cheer with mascot Mike the Tiger during the first half of the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl between LSU and Central Florida at State Farm Stadium on January 01, 2019 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images)

LSU fans have a reputation for drinking the places they visit dry. With the Tigers vying for a national title, Atlanta might not have been prepared for their visitors from the Bayou.

The Atlanta Marriott Marquis is serving as the team hotel, so plenty of fans have booked rooms there. The hotel bar needs to get its distributor on the phone.

According to Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the LSU team hotel is already completely out of bottled beer. The Peach Bowl between the Tigers and Oklahoma doesn’t kick off until 4 p.m. ET tomorrow.

The lobby restaurant of the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, #LSU’s designated team hotel, has already run out of bottled beer.

It is 5 pm. Kickoff is in 25 hours.

— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) December 27, 2019

That is impressive, but not even the most impressive drinking feat that the Tiger fans have had this season.

Back in September, visiting fans completely drunk Vanderbilt Stadium out of alcohol before halftime. That was after doing the same to a nearby Nashville bar by 9 a.m. the morning of the game.

Obviously, in-stadium drinks are a relatively new thing for SEC schools. Bars hosting major fan bases like LSU’s ahead of their biggest game in nearly a decade should probably be a bit more prepared, but LSU fans have a special talent for imbibing.

The Tigers and Sooners face off in the Peach Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The winner will take on the Ohio State-Clemson winner for the national championship on Jan. 13.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Swamp Angel said:

Hey, Dad. I live 35 miles north of Mercedes Benz Stadium and have several bottles of very nice single malt Scotch here. If you're out of refreshments let me know. 

Thanks for the offer, we are spending time here in Woodstock, great little town. 35 miles? So you are not too far from me? We had a big Tiger Party at the best restaurant in town. Plus we met up with more Tiger Fans. Tomorrow is going to be wild. 

GEAUX TIGERS 🐅 

15 hours ago, The Swamp Angel said:

Geaux Tigahs!

Burreaux Jersey.jpg

Where did you order them?  I want a white one

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

Where did you order them?  I want a white one

Ordered it online through ArtFire.com. The purple one made it here first. The white one I ordered hasn't yet shipped. I have a feeling they're having to make more of the white ones than they anticipated. They each ran $39.99 and there was no shipping charge. Of course, they're made in and shipped from China, but those are the same folks who make these jerseys for Nike anyway, so it's essentially the real McCoy without all the Nike mark-up. Took about two weeks for this one to arrive after ordering.

Edited by The Swamp Angel

122919%20peach%20bowl%20photo%20HS29.JPG
122919%20peach%20bowl%20photo%20HS11.JPG
122919%20peach%20bowl%20photo%20HS42.JPG

View Gallery

STAT: LSU QB threw more TDs at Mercedes-Benz Stadium than Matt Ryan 

STATE REPORT 
Dec 30, 2019
By 
  • The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In just two games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium this season, Heisman winner Joe Burrow outscored resident pro QB Matt Ryan. 

Burrow decimated Oklahoma’s defense with a seven-passing touchdown performance in Saturday’s Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. (He added one rushing touchdown.) Weeks earlier he scorched Georgia with four touchdown throws for the SEC title, making his two-game touchdown passing total 11. 

In seven home games, the Falcons’ $150 million arm had just eight scoring throws against four teams — the Eagles (3), Saints (2), Panthers (2) and Jaguars (1). Ryan went scoreless against the Titans, Rams and Buccaneers at home. 

Here is how Burrow notched big points for the Tigers in Atlanta: 

SEC Championship scores 

(9:09 - 1st) — Burrow completes 23-yard touchdown pass to Ja’Marr Chase
(0:12 - 1st) — Burrow throws 7-yard TD pass to Terrace Marshall Jr. 
(2:18 - 3rd) — Marshall catches 4-yard TD reception from Burrow 
(0:45 - 3rd) — Burrow completes 8-yard TD pass to Justin Jefferson

Peach Bowl scores 

(12:03 - 1st) — Burrow completes 19-yard TD reception by Jefferson 
(4:24 - 1st) — Burrow pass complete to Marshall for 8-yard touchdown 
(1:16 - 1st) — Burrow to Jefferson for 35 yards for a TD 
(12:13 - 2nd) — Burrow to Jefferson for a 42-yard score 
(9:17 - 2nd) — Burrow to Jefferson from 30 yards for a TD 
(4:18 - 2nd) — Burrow completes 62-yard pass to Thaddeus Moss for a TD 
(0:50 - 2nd) — Burrow 2-yard TD pass to Marshall

U.S. NEWS

Husband of reporter killed in Louisiana plane crash: 'I'll always love her'

Carley McCord sent her husband a message the morning of the crash, telling him that she loved him. He still messages her back every day.
nn_sbr_la_plane_crash_family_200102_1920x1080.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

nn_sbr_la_plane_crash_family_200102_1920x1080.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

Jan. 2, 2020, 4:30 PM EST / Updated Jan. 2, 2020, 6:57 PM EST
By Doha Madani and Sam Brock

Steven Ensminger Jr., the husband of Carley McCord, a sports journalist who was among the five people who died in a Louisiana plane crash, will always love the woman he fell for after just months of dating.

He described his wife as a completely stunning woman, someone whose passion for work and others made her a one-of-a-kind person. McCord, 30, sent her husband a message the morning of the crash, telling him that she loved him.

He still messages her back every day, Ensminger said in an interview Thursday.

"Words can't describe the kind of person she is. There's so many — I can't even begin to tell you how much of a special person she was," he said. "How much she cared about other people, how much she wanted me to care about other people."

McCord was on a small eight-passenger plane that went down after takeoff from Lafayette Regional Airport on Saturday. She was on her way to attend the Peach Bowl college football playoff semifinal between the University of Oklahoma and Louisiana State University.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

Her father-in-law, LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, coached through tears during the game.

"I could see Carley telling him, 'Go coach, get out there,'" her husband said. "Because she loved him, they would bicker back and forth. I could see her just being with him."

Ensminger said his father was one of the interviews his wife always wanted but wouldn't ask for.

Image: Carley McCordCarley McCord.Courtesy of WDSU-TV

McCord, a Louisiana native, was a sports reporter for NBC affiliate WDSU of New Orleans. She previously worked as a digital media reporter for the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and as the in-game host for the New Orleans Pelicans of the NBA and the New Orleans Saints of the NFL.

In addition to her work in sports, McCord was an online teacher for children in China who were learning English.

She wanted to be the best at every job she took on, her husband said.

"She would keep in touch. She had a relationship with those kids," he said. "Because she cared, she cared so much. She was just one of the most caring people I ever will meet."

The couple met while she worked at a radio station where Ensminger's sister worked, and within a few months he knew she was the woman he wanted to marry. He recalled how he was drawn to her competitive nature and her love of sports and how easy she was to talk to, even from their first date.

"She was the greatest. And that's why it didn't take me long to propose," Ensminger said. "I knew it. I loved her. I'll always love her."

• 2 weeks later...