Gameday Tigers

Congratulations to Joe Brady!

LSUDad

Joe Brady calls LSU OC Steve Ensminger co-winner of Broyles Award

Dave Holcomb | 2 hours ago

LSU coach Joe Brady may have won the Broyles Award on Tuesday, but he has decided to share the honor with fellow Tigers offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger.

“This award should say Joe Brady/Steve Ensminger,” Brady said. “I’m only at LSU because of Steve Ensminger. I’ll never forget that …

00:18

“There is not a greater person to work for than Steve Ensminger, and there is not a greater person that cares more about LSU and the success of this program. He doesn’t want to take credit for anything. I’m so grateful for Steve, and I hope to be him one day.”

The Broyles Award usually goes to coordinators, but Brady’s impact in just one season on LSU’s passing game made him the obvious choice for the honor. Brady currently serves as the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at LSU.

Under his tutelage, Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow has experienced an historic season, throwing for 4,715 passing yards, 48 touchdowns and six interceptions. He’s averaged 10.7 yards per attempt and posted a 77.9 completion percentage in 13 games this season.

Ensminger has served as LSU’s offensive coordinator the last two seasons. He’s been on the LSU coaching staff since 2010.

• Like 1

LSU's Joe Brady was once 'an assistant to an assistant'; now he's the Broyles Award winner

Joe Brady
Joe Brady accepts the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in college football. BY BROOKS KUBENA | Staff writer

Dec 10, 2019 - 7:30 pm

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — The top assistant coach in college football stepped off the ballroom stage, closed his eyes and shook his head with a whispered laugh.

That's the title Joe Brady had earned just moments before — college football's top assistant coach — when the LSU passing game coordinator's name was read from an envelope as the winner of the Frank Broyles Award.

No assistant coach had ever won the award in his first season with a team.

Heck, each of the previous 23 winners were all coordinators. They'd all been fully responsible directors for either the offensive or defensive side of the ball.

So why wouldn't Brady shake his head?

In his eyes, he was just the 30-year-old wide receiver coach, the guy who only a year ago was "an assistant to an assistant with the New Orleans Saints," the man in the shadows who'd really only been a graduate assistant at the college level.

Now he was the owner of the most prestigious award given to college assistants, one of the masterminds behind a record-breaking LSU offense that vaulted the No. 1 Tigers to an SEC championship and the program's first berth in the College Football Playoff.

"Honestly," Brady told a group of reporters near the stage, "it's tough to put into words."

He'd crafted his Broyles Award speech carefully, telling the hundreds of people slicing their pork tenderloins inside the Little Rock Marriott Tuesday afternoon that "God had a plan for me this year that was bigger than my dreams."

RELATED

Dave Aranda is in serious talks to leave LSU to become UNLV coach, report says

Remember how this all started?

Back in the summer of 2018, Brady tagged along with Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael to do a presentation in front of the LSU coaching staff.

Brady "took over" the meeting at one point, LSU coach Ed Orgeron said, impressing the entire Tigers staff with his command of scheme.

So, when former passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan retired in January, Orgeron had his replacement in mind, and after a few formalities, the unknown assistant from New Orleans was introduced as the guy who was going to bring LSU's offense into the modern era with West Coast and run-pass option schemes.

And in just one season's time, the Tigers have put up final scores and statistics that once never seemed possible in Baton Rouge:

• LSU ranks third nationally, scoring 47.8 points per game — more than two touchdowns more than what the Tigers averaged in 2018 (32.4).
  • The Tigers are first nationally in total offense (554.3 yards per game) and third in yards per play (7.79).
  • Quarterback Joe Burrow is a front-runner to win the program's first Heisman Trophy since Billy Cannon in 1959, running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire is up for the Hornung Award and wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase could win the Biletnikoff Award.

So, it seems fitting that the voice-over at the Broyles Award announced Brady as the "boy wonder."

"If he was a stock, he'd be like Tesla," Hall of Fame offensive guard and ESPN analyst Mark May said, introducing Brady at the ceremony. "You'd go out and buy it today."

RELATED

LSU's Ed Orgeron has been named finalist for Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award

Brady's stock has soared, and LSU will likely have to reinvest at a higher price than its initial contract with the "boy wonder."

The athletic department is already in negotiations with Brady, who signed a three-year deal in February that paid him an average of $435,000 per year — a deal that made him the seventh-highest-paid assistant on Orgeron's 10-member staff.

Orgeron has said LSU is a "step ahead" of other programs trying to lure Brady away from Louisiana, and Brady said after LSU's 37-10 victory over Georgia in the SEC title he "absolutely" sees his future being in Baton Rouge.

Brady told The Advocate in a sitdown interview Tuesday morning "nothing's been done in my eyes," regarding a new contract.

"I don't know what the future holds," Brady said. "I think it's, I'd love to be at LSU, and when I say, 'Absolutely,' it's because I absolutely love being there. I don't think of another job. I never have no matter what."

RELATED

Part of the love, Brady said, is working in tandem with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger — a 61-year-old former LSU quarterback who said he encouraged Orgeron to bring someone in to improve the offense's transition to the spread after the Tigers went 10-3 in 2018.

Ensminger is the coach who is constantly forgotten and undervalued, Brady said, a humble coordinator who should be receiving just as much credit.

"This should just say, 'Steve Ensminger,'" Brady said, standing close to the Broyles Trophy. "But if it says, 'Joe Brady,' it says, 'Joe Brady/Steve Ensminger,' next to it."

Joe Brady exclusive Q&A: LSU assistant coach talks Broyles Award, future with Tigers

The friendship that stretches across generations was clear.

Ensminger, who had only posted on Twitter eight times since 2016, tweeted toward Brady on Tuesday: "Congratulations. You earned this."

Both sit in the coaches booth on game day, and from the very beginning of the 2019 season, there was a root question in the offensive coaches' working relationship: Just who exactly calls the plays?

Brady said it's more nuanced than that, a fluid relationship, changing game-to-game, that still gives Ensminger the ultimate responsibility.

"Steve's the play-caller," Brady said. "It's just my job up there to, if I have any ideas, for him to take them and run with it if he wants. If not, keep doing what he's doing, and we've had a lot of success this year with Steve.”

There will be times, Brady said, when Ensminger will say during a game, "Hey look, you've got it," or, "Hey, whatever you want to do here, you've got it," and Brady is always prepared with a play to call.

Brady said he spends Wednesday nights studying every touchdown that was scored in the NFL the previous weekend — a routine that produced the in-game moment he was most proud of this season.

LSU led Alabama 26-13 when the Tigers had the ball at the Crimson Tide 13 with 11 seconds left in the first half. Burrow threw a touchdown to Edwards-Helaire near the pylon, which provided the winning points in a historic 46-41 victory in Tuscaloosa.

That's the fulfilling part, Brady said, to see what was working for the Oakland Raiders and the Houston Texans "to come full circle" and have his players "execute it just like they're seeing some of their favorite players do."

RELATED

Strange enough for you? LSU has the offensive edge against Oklahoma in Peach Bowl semifinal

Brady said if you watch Justin Jefferson's touchdown reception in the third quarter of the SEC championship game, you'll see that Saints receiver Mike Thomas scored the exact same touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brady's only just beginning to reflect on what's been a whirlwind of a year.

It's only been six years since he began his coaching career as a linebackers coach at William & Mary, his two-year stop before leaving to be a graduate assistant under former Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead, who taught Brady the RPO scheme.

It's enough to make the walk down from the ballroom stage overwhelming.

Enough to make someone close their eyes and shake their head.

"I'm just so grateful, so thankful to just be a part of this Broyles family," Brady said, "and I can't wait to just think about this experience and how much it's going to impact my future."

Joe Brady is the 247Sports Offensive Assistant of the Year

ByCHRIS HUMMER 23 hours ago 

Joe Brady didn’t utter a word in front of the media between LSU’s season-opening win over Georgia Southern and the Tigers’ SEC championship victory over Georgia. He didn’t have to. LSU’s record-smashing offense did all the talking for him.

No single college football unit underwent a transformation quite like the Tiger offense this season.

LSU averaged 5.5 yards per play in 2018, good for 84th nationally. This year, the Tigers’ offense jumped to 7.8 yards per play, which ranks third in the FBS. LSU went from a ground-and-pound, 20th century offense to a points-scoring juggernaut in less than 12 months. Brady arrived at LSU as a virtual unknown. Ed Orgeron snatched up the New Orleans Saints off-field analyst to usher in a dynamic spread attack. Brady, who landed on our 30Under30 list this offseason, exceeded any and all expectations with his performance.

As we began discussing who should be named the "247Sports Offensive Coordinator of the Year", there was no question Brady needed to be recognized. A hangup, though, is that Brady is listed as LSU’s passing game coordinator and doesn't call plays. So we changed the title of the award, just this year, to "offensive assistant." It's obvious Brady's voice has helped transform LSU's offense into a juggernaut this season. 

For more than a decade, LSU was home to a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offensive sentiment under Les Miles’ direction. Part of Orgeron’s hiring in 2017 was an imperative to change that. It took a few years and a Matt Canada misstep, but the Tigers have found their offensive identity within Brady's scheme – skill.

LSU never lacked for talent. The Tigers had Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry on the same roster and still never finished better than 45th nationally in passing yards per game. Scheme prevented offensive explosions. Brady, pairing with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, ensured that would no longer be an issue.

One year into LSU’s modern spread experiment, the Tigers are the first team in SEC history to feature a 4,000-yard passer (Joe Burrow), 1,000-yard rusher (Clyde Edwards-Helaire) and a pair of 1,000-yard receivers (Ja’Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson).

It’s within Burrow you see the scale of LSU’s transformation.

The Ohio State transfer put up middling numbers in his initial Tiger season (2,894 yards, 16 TDs, 5 INTs, 57.8 CMP%, 7.6 YPA). Given nine months of work with Brady and the opportunity to turn the ball loose, Burrow’s transformed into a historic Heisman lock: 4,715 yards, 48 TDs, 6 INTs, 77.9 CMP%, 10.7 YPA.

Burrow is very much the same player. He’s more comfortable with his receivers and a year older. But he’s still the passer who struggled at times last year within a scheme that didn’t highlight his strengths – anticipation, timing, and the ability to dissect a defense. Brady built an offense that emphasizes what Burrow does best. That’s what the elite play-callers and coordinators do. They create systems that maximizes their best players. That means LSU’s elite skill talent is finally playing within a system that augments their advantages instead of attempting to crush them into an old-school schematic box.

Saturday evening after LSU scored 37 points against Georgia – 20 more than anyone had in regulation this year – Brady spoke to the media for the first time this fall. “It felt like everything happened so fast,” Brady said.

The rest of the SEC can identify with that sentiment, Joe.

Previous winners: Mike Locksley(Alabama – 2018); Josh Heupel (Missouri - 2017), Joe Moorhead (Penn State - 2016), Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma - 2015), Tom Herman (Ohio State - 2014), Mike Bobo(Georgia - 2013)

• 3 weeks later...

One and done for Joe Brady at LSU? Assistant coach mentioned as OC target for NFL coach

Keith Farner | 2 hours ago

LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady has had one of the most dramatic career launches this season as he’s received plenty of credit for the Tigers’ offensive showcase. While coach Ed Orgeron has said there have been discussions to improve Brady’s contract with LSU, and that LSU is “a step ahead,” however, the NFL may also come calling.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported: “Ravens DC Don “Wink” Martindale is emerging as a top candidate as the coaching carousel spins, and his top choice of OC is a fascinating one. Sources say Martindale would be paired with #LSU wunderkind Joe Brady who set the field ablaze against Oklahoma.”

00:02
04:39

00:00

Brady, who also coaches receivers, won the Broyles Award earlier this month to become the first assistant who isn’t an offensive or defensive coordinator to receive the honor. The award, which has been handed out since 1996, is given to the top assistant coach in the country.

It’s been a meteoric rise for Brady, who was previously an offensive assistant with the New Orleans Saints, William & Mary and Penn State.

Brady has largely shared credit with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, but many have said brady brought a difference to the LSU offense not seen in recent memory. The results were immediately noticeable as LSU set school records for points (621), points per game (47.8), total yards (7,206), 50-point games (six) and 40-point games (10).

As the NFL coaching carousel moves, it’ll be a matter of weeks before a decision about his future is known.

19 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Agents are crafty. 

A guy that has no head coaching job ties his name to a guy that has been an on the field assistant for 4 months and this is a thing? 

Funny

Brady needs to be smart about managing his own career.  He has to be sure he doesn't move ahead too fast, and fail to pick up lessons on how to handle many situations from experience.  When you move ahead too fast and lack the experience, you can make mistakes that then put you behind.  Let's just mention Ed Orgeron.  He lacked experience as a head coach at OM, he failed, but he was young enough and smart enough to learn from his mistakes, and fate smiled on him.  When Les was fired, Ed was in a good position to take on the interim head coach, using experience he gained in that role at USC, and knowledge he gained from his failure at OM.  Not all coaches get that second chance.

If LSU will pay him the chips we've heard, over a million a year to stay, and probably be OC in waiting, that would be hard to pass up.  If LSU offered that to him, they should try to get a high buyout if he leaves to make that decision harder.  We're committing to you, we want you to commit to us.  My personal belief, he should stay.  He also has good decent people to work with, E and O, and you don't always find that at your next gig.  LSU looks like a very good deal to me, for the next 5 - 7 years, if I'm Joe Brady.  I think O has bought some credibility with the program regardless of what happens on Jan. 13, and the situation should be stable here for at least the next 5 years.  Stability, good decent people, top pay, opportunity for advancement, without having to uproot and move, and an excellent recruiting platform to sustain the program indefinitely, that is a lot of positives to walk away from.

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Brady needs to be smart about managing his own career.  He has to be sure he doesn't move ahead too fast, and fail to pick up lessons on how to handle many situations from experience.  When you move ahead too fast and lack the experience, you can make mistakes that then put you behind.  Let's just mention Ed Orgeron.  He lacked experience as a head coach at OM, he failed, but he was young enough and smart enough to learn from his mistakes, and fate smiled on him.  When Les was fired, Ed was in a good position to take on the interim head coach, using experience he gained in that role at USC, and knowledge he gained from his failure at OM.  Not all coaches get that second chance.

A guy that moved up real fast like that was a GA at LSU Jeff Jagodzinski, bounced around, now in a lower football league now. Coached Matt Ryan in college. 

Coaches are funny, some think of only themselves, others think of their families. The family guys for the most part, seem to do better. 

Ed Orgeron addresses speculation that Joe Brady could move on to the NFL

Keith Farner | 2 hours ago

LSU continues to remain in the sports headlines even outside of the national championship as the Tigers have seen their passing game coordinator, Joe Brady, come up as a possible candidate for an NFL offensive coordinator position.

Ed Orgeron was asked how he keeps that from being a distraction during a segment on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge on the “Off the Bench” program. Orgeron reiterated similar comments he’s made before as he noted that Athletics Director Scott Woodward began discussions about Brady’s future with LSU during the first open week of the season.

00:20

“The school made a good plan, and I believe that we’re in great shape,” Orgeron said. “Joe is happy here at LSU and obviously things can happen. But I think we’re in great shape. We’re going to discuss his final situation after we finish. I believe Joe is going to be a LSU Tiger. Obviously he’s going to be a head coach one day, he’s a hot ticket, great young man, but I’m glad we’ve got him as an LSU Tiger.”

A report from the NFL Network earlier this week suggested Brady could be paired with Baltimore defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale if Martindale lands a head coaching job.

Orgeron added that OL Damien Lewis’ early prognosis was more positive that they thought. Lewis was carted off against Oklahoma.

“Maybe we’d have to do some work on him but it looks like we won’t,” Orgeron said. “Obviously he’ll have to have a lot of rehab, we’ll know more next week but he ain’t going to practice this week. We think we may have him for the game but we’ll have to see how far he gets this week.”

Orgeron added that things appear positive about Michael Divinity returning to the team, but a final decision has not been made. Divinity tweeted, “See Y’all Back in My City on January 13th.”

Orgeron was asked about offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger coaching in the Peach Bowl after he learned the news that his daughter-in-law died in a plane crash on the way to the game. Orgeron called Ensminger the “John Wayne of our staff,” and a general leading the offense.

“He was very hurt, very distraught,” Orgeron said. “But he was going to do his job for the Tigers. I’m so proud of Steve and our team.”

Ensminger received the game ball as Orgeron said the coaches told the players after the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Sources: Matt Rhule interested in Joe Brady for Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator

By Scott Roussel - 
 January 10, 2020

Joe-Brady.jpg?zoom=2&resize=355%2C245&ss

Sources tell FootballScoop new Carolina head coach Matt Rhule is interested in speaking with LSU’s Joe Brady about the offensive coordinator position with the Panthers.

LSU officials have repeatedly stated throughout the season they expect Brady to return, and had no concerns about him leaving for another college job.

However, the opportunity to become an NFL offensive coordinator would seem to be something Brady would have to strongly consider. LSU has maintained confidence throughout the fall it could keep Brady away from other college programs, but the thought of an NFL team coming after him has been a nearly unspoken, yet ever present, concern for those who bleed purple and gold.

Brady, as we all know, has been an overnight success. His one season on campus has seen LSU leap from 38th to first in scoring, from 84th to second in yards per play, and from 65th to second in passing efficiency. As a result, the 30-year-old has won the Broyles Award and shared the FootballScoop Offensive Coordinator of the Year award with Steve Ensminger.

It should be noted that Brady and Rhule share the same agent (Trace Armstrong), which only adds to the intrigue. Is Armstrong helping make the right connection between Brady and Rhule, or is Armstrong simply ensuring that his client (Brady) will get the best possible deal from LSU?

Sources tell FootballScoop neither party wishes to explore this before the National Championship game Monday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Obviously, LSU would like to close the deal on a historic 2019 campaign on Monday night, then close a new deal with Brady thereafter, demonstrating this new-look program will have staying power among college football’s elite with the impending departure of Joe Burrow.

8 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Most coaches bring their playbooks from past years with them. 

Correct. But the idea that there is a single "copy" of an actual "book" is a false idea. Additionally I don't think any traditional concept of 'copyright' applies.

Any plays Brady developed at LSU I think would be considered technically to be intellectual property of LSU or some kind of shared IP between the 2 parties.  At the end of the day, they are in LSU's database of coaching data.

I don't think there is a concept of 'exclusivity' that attaches at all.  Kind of like one artist using the brush stroke technique of another.

I mean...imagine if the forward pass was copywritten by the 1st coach to use it.