Gameday Tigers

Dave Aranda rumors

Nutriaitch

54 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I don't expect a Power 5 team, but hell, I didn't even know UNLV had a football team.  They were always a basketball school

They'll be playing in the Raiders new stadium. Facilities ain't lacking. 

I don't think this happens though. 

Whenever you can't figure something out, track the money. There's someone's agent pulling these strings. I don't think it's Aranda's either. I dunno what's going on, but somebody's pulling a play. 

Per @ESPNRittenberg - Adam Rittenberg, senior CFB writer.

quote:
Sources now telling me #LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda is not expected to be the next #UNLV coach. There were some initial talks from both sides but no offer was made. #Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo remains a strong candidate for the UNLV job.

The last coach didn’t make a ton of money. What LSU is paying coaches now, is major. Smaller schools, give the Head Coach a set amount, how he divides it among his coaches, his choice. The HC may bring someone from his former job, sometimes a GA, then make him a position coach.  Like I said, the last HC at UNLV, came from the high school ranks.

In Tx high schools, they pay some Head Coaches for two jobs, HC and AD of a school, giving them a bump in pay. They make good money, plus they have a great retirement. 

Edited by LSUDad

21 minutes ago, dachsie said:

So is there discord with him and O.?  And what did his last contract say?  Assistant head coach?

I think they are different philosophically (from a defensive football perspective). I wouldn't call it "discord", per se. 

It's perfectly normal to have assistant coaches move on.... if you're a good, great, elite team.  Aranda won't be here forever, neither will Brady.  The cool thing is, it's a helluva lot easier to attract top notch replacements when you're a juggernaut like LSU currently is. 

• Like 1

What LSU is doing as a team, what LSU is paying, with the top talent they are bringing in, who wouldn’t want to coach at LSU ? As of late, O has hired a few guys that has worked with him before, or guys that have worked with others on the staff. He’s dipped into the NFL ranks, done his homework. People have noticed the job O and his assistants have done this year, just look at the job done last year to get us to 10 wins. 

Put it this way, when word gets out, a coach might be leaving, a number of coaches will be throwing their names in the hat. 

After the UGA win, O and his staff has hit the recruiting trail, not just this years talent. The big win is still on recruits minds. 

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I think they are different philosophically (from a defensive football perspective). I wouldn't call it "discord", per se. 

It's perfectly normal to have assistant coaches move on.... if you're a good, great, elite team.  Aranda won't be here forever, neither will Brady.  The cool thing is, it's a helluva lot easier to attract top notch replacements when you're a juggernaut like LSU currently is. 

But didn't O advocate for Aranda to get a raise?  He knew what kind of defense he ran then.  I just think this is odd - esp the timing of it

Just now, dachsie said:

But didn't O advocate for Aranda to get a raise?  He knew what kind of defense he ran then.  I just think this is odd - esp the timing of it

Yes he did. Doesn't mean they'll be together forever though. 

There is actually nothing odd at all about the timing.

This is the time that all of these coaching jobs get filled.
Big name schools first, then it starts trickling down to the smaller ones.

8 hours ago, dachsie said:

So is there discord with him and O.?  

Doesn't have to be any discord.
Top level assistants don't stay with the same head coach for forever (unless we talking about Bud Foster).

Put it to you this way:
This is the longest amount of time Aranda has ever spent with a single head coach.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Doesn't have to be any discord.
Top level assistants don't stay with the same head coach for forever (unless we talking about Bud Foster).

Put it to you this way:
This is the longest amount of time Aranda has ever spent with a single head coach.

Just a guess, but the average stop for coaches is around 4 years. The part is, when the Head Coach gets fired, or takes another job, the assistants might interview with the new HC or get taken to the new school. If not, they are looking for a job. 

They make good money, but when the ax falls, they have to get answers quickly. How long do they continue to get paid by the school, how about health insurance, what about the cars that they are using, when do they turn them in? A good friend of mine, LSU payed him for a year after they were let go. The AD covered his pay fully, even though he got a lesser paying job. The LSU AD, could have offset the difference, but he didn’t. 

I'll even argue that fluidity in coaching is a very good and necessary thing.

New, effective schemes take time for opposing teams to figure out and effectively counter.  Eventually all schemes get "check mated" by one or more opponents.  When that happens, a team needs to adapt.

A prima fascia exaple of this is when LSU brough Joe Brady in and fully committed to modernizing the LSU offense.  We've all seen and enjoyed the result.  However, if the Brady/Ensminger system remains static, coaches like the evil dwarf will figure out how to counter and effectively shut it down.

Periodic changes in coaching personnel are one way that schemes and systems are dynamic and ever-evolving instead of static.

Does that mean every coaching change is a good thing?  No...look at our Matt Canada experiment and almost every OC under Les Miles.

But we have had some pretty good DCs over the years.  The Pellini|Steele|Aranda years have been overall good and kept LSUs defenses overall pretty good.

I'm glad this bullet appears to have been dodged on the eve of early signing period, but losing Aranda won't mean the sky is falling when that day arrives. 

4 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Arroyo to be UNLV HC power "sources"

So, wonder if he and aranda have the same agent? 

That's how this shyte works. Agents pull strings and stunts to get more money. 

That Agent needs to go to the B's in his Rolodex next time.