Gameday Tigers

Grant Delpit Wins Jim Thorpe Award!

Fishhead

LSU's Grant Delpit dubbed nation's best defensive back of the year, receives 2019 Jim Thorpe Award

in Sports
Source: WBRZ
By: WBRZ Staff

NEW YORK - And the awards keep coming for the Tigers. This time, safety Grant Delpit named the recipient of the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award. The award honors the best defensive back in all of college football.

The announcement comes from a ceremony in New York city Thursday evening following LSU's very own Joe Burrow who took away the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback award.

Some players are in the Big Apple for a slew of ceremonies including the Heisman Trophy,for which Burrow is the front runner. That award honors the best overall athlete in college football, and the winner will be announced Saturday evening. 

Edited by LSUDad

14 hours ago, LSUDad said:

LSU's Grant Delpit dubbed nation's best defensive back of the year, receives 2019 Jim Thorpe Award

in Sports
Source: WBRZ
By: WBRZ Staff

NEW YORK - And the awards keep coming for the Tigers. This time, safety Grant Delpit named the recipient of the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award. The award honors the best defensive back in all of college football.

The announcement comes from a ceremony in New York city Thursday evening following LSU's very own Joe Burrow who took away the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback award.

Some players are in the Big Apple for a slew of ceremonies including the Heisman Trophy,for which Burrow is the front runner. That award honors the best overall athlete in college football, and the winner will be announced Saturday evening. 

I thought last nght was in ATL..... 🤔

I know this position will be challenged by some, and don't get me wrong I am very happy for Delpit.

Having said that, Delpit was not even the best defensive back on his team, much less the best defensive back in the nation. This is what I hate about awards...they go to the  popular pick instead of the best pick. (IMHO, Ohio State's Jeffrey Okudah was the best DB in the NCAA this year and opponents simply stopped throwing the ball anywhere near him, otherwise he would have had more than 3 INTs.)

I firmly believe that Delpit should have won the Thorpe award last year instead of Deandre Baker, but this year he was just okay for most of the season. Jacoby Stevens and Derek Stingly both had better seasons than Delpit.

It doesn't matter if Delpit had a nagging injury all year and "would have" been the best DB in college football, the bottom line is that he wasn't and we all honestly know that to be true.

Sorry, Nootch, but I think even in your heart of hearts, you admit this also and on a few podcasts you have said as much.

• Like 1

oh i agree completely about Delpit. and like you said, have said as much multiple times. 
My boy Grant is probably 4th best DB on the team THIS season.  
Had he been healthy he may have been more worthy, but the award isn’t supposed to be a “what if” award  

I predicted Okudah would win this, but disagree that he was the best in the country. 

They gave the award to the right team, just the wrong Safety. 

Jacoby Stevens is the best DB in the country this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Good post Herb!  Joe, JaMarr, and Ed O are all well deserving of their awards.  Grant, this year, not so much.  Last year he did much better.  I am sure his injury affected his play this year.

yeah i question the Thorpe award regularly. 

this is the 2nd time an LSU guy gets it without even being best on team let alone the country. 

Mo Claiborne was NOT a better DB than Mathieu in 2011. 

If the award was “best cover corner”, then yes. 
But best defensive back? Not a chance. 

Honey Badger at Nickel or Safety dictates the flow of entire games. 

As in he told everybody else how that game was going to play out. And everybody listened. 

• Like 1

Agree with all posts, Matthieu did one thing better than anyone to ever wear the Purple and Gold, he demanded that the opposing QB look around to find him, if that QB didn’t know where he was on the field, there was going to be Hell To Pay. The first game he played in was in ATL, after the first half, I told my friends, he was by far the best player on the field. Watching him play, he could have played all three phases of the game, offense, defense and Special Teams. 
Stovall was one, Casanova was another, Todd Kinchen might be the third. Cannon is also in that group. 

I saw Cannon weeks before his death, TAF had a get together in the South Stadium Suites, I got an invite. They asked Billy to speak, the girl had to bring the mic to him in the audience, Billy in a joking manner then said, “If I would have had to walk upon the stage, someone would have thrown a flag for a delay!” Cannon was my wife’s orthodontist, back in her younger days. My Dad was often mistaken for Cannon, at times, folks would ask for his autograph at LSU games. 

When Bert Jones has his Cystic Fibrosis Tournament, Tommy and Jackie Casanova both try to attend, both brothers are so much similar in size. They too always like to give back. 

Coach Stovall, was asked to help oversee the United Way, I too was asked to help lead up this endeavor. Coach told a story about how he ended up at LSU. Those days you could sign as many players as you wanted, Coach was the very last player signed in his class, just did get in. He also talked about his speed, said he had deceptive speed, he was a lot slower than he looked.

Todd was just an athlete, a friend of his asked him to play tennis, they played boys doubles at school. Ended up winning state. Todd was so good of a basket ball player, he was offered a basketball scholarship to InbredGumps. 

TM, Stovall, Todd and Cannon, were those players, where they could play multiple positions on the field. 

• Like 1