Gameday Tigers

Tonight Is The Night

Herb

Tonight is the night that the LSU program sheds an incomprehensible perception in the collective minds of the American psyche and will finally overcome a stereotype that has lasted for over 50 years.

When Burrow strikes the pose tonight and is awarded THE most iconic trophy in college football, it will mark the end of a drought for LSU that stretches back to 1959. During those 60 years - count them...60 years - LSU had a few token players over the years that may have been finalists for the award but were never really considered worthy of receiving it.

The Heisamn Trophy has long been a barometer of program strength and during most of this stretch of time, LSU was ignored for consideration as being a peer program to the Michigans, Notre Dames, Alabamas, Nebraskas, USC's, Penn States, and others. 

The stinging truth is that we were not peers to those programs. We were indeed inferior and had fallen from the one golden perch of being at the pinnacle of the college football world. The token players who were occasionally considered for the Heisman (Stovall, Alexander, Mathieu, Fournette...) were in reality "close but not quite" players. 

Worse yet, LSU was a program that was not considered an elite job for coaches. This extended right up to recent history where coaches like Fisher and Hermann spurned LSU for greener pastures.

Similarly, it wasn't until the last decade+ that LSU started becoming a destination for out of state talent.

Worst of all was the perception that LSU could not attract and develop talent at the QB position. Unfortunately, most perceptions are rooted in some kernels of truth and admittedly - ever since Perrilloux was kicked off of the team - LSU has had a well-documented and oft-repeated narrative of not being a program that was a desireable destination for QBs.

All of that changes tonight. 

LSU coaches took a kid that couldn't break into the starting lineup of one of the "Golden" programs, whose 1st season with LSU was good but not great, and transformed him into a record breaking QB that is leading an actual juggernaught of an offense. High school QBs across the nation are taking note and are now seriously considering LSU when in years past that discussion was a show stopper.

Burrow has (hopefully) 2 games left at LSU and we have an adequate QB waiting in the wings in the form of Myles Brennan. This is the 'perfect storm' for Orgeron's recruiting: we have the system to make any kid shine and we have the presumptive successor to Burrow with basically a 2 year window before Brennan's successor will be taking snaps.

The national media is now falling all over themselves to declare that LSU is indeed a peer to any national power and instead of fawning all over that team in Tuscaloosa are now narrating the possibility that their time in the sun might be passing before our eyes and that a passing of the torch appears to be happening to - of all teams - their chief rival, LSU. 

• Like 4

here is why tonight is so special to me, and why i almost choked up on the last podcast talking about it. 

my grandfather was a HUGE influence on my life. and the reason i’m an LSU fan. 

He was a student at LSU when Pearl Harbir happened and he quit school to enlist in the Navy (GEAUX NAVY! BEAT ARMY!)

Its his seats that my family still sits in to this day. 

as a kid a lot of games were only available on Tigervision. He would get every single one. 

If i wasn’t going to the game, he come pick me up at my parents’ house on Saturday afternoon to watch the game. 

He’d talk about Tigers of the past and compare them to the guys we were watching. 

I was enthralled with guys like Hodson, Davis, Tony Moss,  Fuller, Roger Magee, Sammy Martin, etc. 

He would bring up the usuals... Bert Jones, Stovall, Casanova, etc. 

And then in almost. hushed tone he would talk about Billy Cannon.  Swore up and down that Billy was the best to ever step foot on that hallowed ground.  He would often say stuff like “if only you could have seen him. he was special. there may never be another like that.”

My grandfather was 41 years old when Billy won his Heisman. 

Now here i am. 41 years old.  About to watch an LSU Tiger take home a Heisman. 

Paw, wish you could have seen this. This kid is special. May never be another like this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Heisman Venue: Behind-the-Scenes-Look

in News

Source: WBRZ - TV

By: Michael Cauble

NEW YORK CITY - Just hours before the Heisman ceremony in New York City where LSU quarterback Joe Burrow will win the 85th Heisman trophy WBRZ-TV was given a behind the scenes look at the set-up process in the Playstation Theater where the event will be held.

The room has been set up with place-holders for former winners to sit in the first couple of rows, this years finalists including Burrow will be seated just behind them.  The finalists families and support staff including Coach Ed Orgeron will be seated nearby.

All around the venue there are portraits of former winners including former Tiger legend Billy Cannon.  This will be the 60th anniversary of Cannon's Heisman win. 

The Heisman ceremony will be broadcast on ESPN starting at 7:00p.m. in Baton Rouge.

WBRZ will have live coverage from Burrow's acceptance speech following the show, and be sure to watch the accompanying video for a look inside the theater.

Where will Joe Burrow rank among the biggest Heisman voting blowouts?

The 2019 Heisman Trophy ceremony is Saturday at the PlayStation Theater in New York City.  

It will be televised at 8 p.m. on ESPN, a made-for-TV event that will try to create some drama around what most expect will be a landslide victory for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow.  The Ohio State tandem of Justin Fields and Chase Young also will be in New York along with Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts.  

This video will start in: 0:05

0:090:15

Will Burrow win by a record-setting margin? We take a closer look at the chances Burrow sets a few Heisman records along the way. 

Heisman Trophy odds 2019

Odds for Burrow to win the Heisman Trophy are at -30000. Fields (+2500), Young (+3300) and Hurts (+3300) would be huge payouts if they somehow pull an upset in New York.  

Why is Joe Burrow a heavy favorite?

Burrow set SEC single-season records in passing yards (4,715) and TDs (48), and he led LSU to a 13-0 records and SEC championship. That included a 393-yard, three-TD effort in a 46-41 victory at No. 1 Alabama on Nov. 9. Burrow has already cleaned up on the awards circuit. He won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Walter Camp, Davey O'Brien and Maxwell Awards.  

What is the Heisman record for most first-place votes?  

USC's O.J. Simpson (1968) received 855 first-place votes, and Ohio State's Troy Smith (2006) received 801 first-place votes. They are the only two Heisman winners to get more than 800 first-place votes. There are 870 media votes, 57 former Heisman votes and one vote from the fans.  

Biggest Heisman voting margins 

A total of seven Heisman winners have won the award by more than 1,500 points. Here is a look at those seven winners, which Burrow should join. 

1968: O.J. Simpson, USC (+1,750 points)  

Simpson (2,853) beat out Purdue's Leroy Keyes (1,103). Simpson rushed for 1,880 yards and 23 TDs for the Trojans.  

2006: Troy Smith, Ohio State (+1,662 points)  

Smith (2,540) led Ohio State to an undefeated regular season and a win against No. 2 Michigan in the season finale. He beat out Arkansas' Darren McFadden (878).  

1993: Charlie Ward, Florida State (+1,622 points)  

Ward (2,310) led Florida State to the national championship, and he had a commanding margin despite missing a game. Tennessee's Heath Shuler (688) finished second.  

1991: Desmond Howard, Michigan (+1,574)  

Howard (2,077) struck the Heisman pose after a fantastic season at Michigan, and he beat out Florida State's Casey Weldon (503) by a wide margin.

1998: Ricky Williams, Texas (+1,563)  

Williams (2,355) broke the FBS rushing record, and that was enough to beat Kansas State's Michael Bishop (792) by a convincing margin.  

1986: Vinny Testaverde, Miami (+1,541)  

Testaverde (2,213) beat out Temple's Paul Palmer (672) after leading the Hurricanes to a 11-0 regular season and Fiesta Bowl matchup with Penn State.

2013: Jameis Winston, Florida State (+1,501)  

Winston (2,205) led Florida State to an undefeated regular season. He finished with 40 TDs and 10 interceptions and beat out Alabama's A.J. McCarron (704).

image.gif

Joey Burriteaux at Zippy's, 'No. 9' at Brocato salon, more: Louisiana is obsessed with Joe Burrow

1 of 9
SEC Championship Football

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) celebrate with teammates after the Southeastern Conference championship NCAA college football game against Georgia, Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019, in Atlanta. LSU won 37-10. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) ORG XMIT: GAMS161

• John Bazemore

BR.joeburrowbillboard.adv. 0075 bfA.jpg

Electronic sign for LSU Joe Burrow's Heisman run. "HeIstheMan" sign in front of Raising Canes on Perkins Road near Bluebonnet Blvd Tuesday Dec. 11, 2019, in Baton Rouge, La.

• STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

image.png.88f7707be4b983cf5539c32ed5f89526.png

Ann Harris' friends surprised her with this Joe Burrow-topped cake in November for her 15th birthday.

• PHOTO PROVIDED BY ANN CLAIRE HARRIS

image.png.85ab1fa3a85ca0e391ffa57fb79d6493.png

Karen and Tracy McCord of Baton Rouge named their 8-month old female black-mouthed cur dog Jeaux Jeaux for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow.

• PHOTO COURTESY OF TRACY MCCORD

image.png.6aa3de9b43d02712dfb89fa392ebdd33.png

Burrow (left) and Gumbo, two puppies owned by former Baton Rouge resident Renee Dickhute and her family now living in suburban Atlanta.

• PHOTO COURTESY RENEE DICKHUTE

image.png.24143cbc1099f40b2ea5bd9311a1599c.png

Signs showing support for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow can be seen in the windows of a downtown business, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, in Baton Rouge, La. Burrow will travel to New York this week as he was named one of four finalists for the coveted Heisman Trophy.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

image.png.788a73a95eebfad06faa24722a1f1976.png

Signs showing support for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow can be seen in the windows of a downtown business, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, in Baton Rouge, La. Burrow will travel to New York this week as he was named one of four finalists for the coveted Heisman Trophy.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

image.png.fc9611319b5d062108999418c8a5c44c.png

FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2019, file photo, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) gestures thanks to the student section after playing his last game in Tiger Stadium, an NCAA college football game against Texas A&M, in Baton Rouge, La. Heading into this year’s slate of conference title games a case could be made that No. 1 LSU (No. 2 CFP), No. 2 Ohio State (No. 1 CFP) and No. 3 Clemson (No. 3 CFP) have all done enough already to lose their conference championship games and still get in the College Football Playoff. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File) ORG XMIT: NY168

• Gerald Herbert

image.png.e60847cac3d8c071328203e2bec73352.png

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) gives LSU coach Ed Orgeron the game ball after LSU's SEC Championship Game win against Georgia at Mercedes-Benz Stadium Saturday Dec. 7, 2019, in Atlanta, Ga. LSU won 37-10.

• STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

NEW YORK — On CNN last week, Baton Rouge native Don Lemon was doing his show a few blocks from where LSU’s Joe Burrow will likely be lifting the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, talking about the issues of the day with a panel that included CNN congressional reporter Phil Mattingly

“Phil Mattingly, I hope you can see air,” Lemon said, holding up a purple LSU coffee mug. “Can you see that?”

Mattingly, a former Ohio State baseball player, replied: “You’re welcome for your quarterback. You’re welcome. Joe Burrow’s an Ohio guy.”

Lemon smiled and replied: “Go Tigers.”

Lemon is hardly the only LSU fan enjoying Louisiana’s newest favorite import. As the Tigers have marched to victory after victory to the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoffs, and as Burrow has gone from a preseason 200-to-1 Heisman shot to overwhelming 1-to-300 favorite, Burrow’s fame has grown to almost mythic proportions in his adopted Louisiana home.

And he hasn’t even won the darn trophy yet.

Students at St. Joseph’s Academy smitten with Burrow have him as their wallpaper on their laptops. At a rare whiskey raffle at Calandro’s supermarket this week, a signed Burrow jersey went for $20,000 in a silent auction.

Burrow has made his way onto birthday cakes. People have named their dogs for him, and his name inspired a specialty at a local restaurant that has become immensely popular even though it isn’t on the regular menu. Just imagine how many more Josephs are going to be born in Louisiana over the next couple of years.

Burrow, who admits he lives a pretty insular life at LSU between football practice and watching film and his online graduate coursework has gotten wind of some of these tangible tributes. Like a lot of the awards he’s won and the big one he’s likely about to win, it all sounds like it’s a bit surreal to him. Like it’s happening to someone else. 

“People have mentioned it to me once in a while,” Burrow said here Friday at a pre-Heisman media availability. “I don’t really see a lot of things like that, but people send them to me through texts and stuff like that.”

Even what Joe wants to eat has become a way to pay homage to LSU’s record-setting quarterback.

Back in October, Burrow placed a Waitr order to Zippy’s restaurant on Perkins Road. When general manager Louis Mykoff saw the Athens, Ohio, number attached to the order, he knew it was from THE Joe.

image.png.d7e903be26089565a68ca6d56c8a6602.png

The Joey Burreaux burrito plate at Zippy's restaurant on Perkins Road in Baton Rouge.

Courtesy photo

“We were like, ‘Oh my God, Joe Burrow us ordering a burrito from us!’ ” Mykoff recalled. “We were all freaking out.”

It was a build-your-own order, not something from the menu. The ingredients? Steak, rice, cheese, corn, grilled onions, sour cream and salsa.

Mykoff quickly got an idea to play off Burrow’s name and, voila, the “Joey Burriteaux” was born. It comes in, as you can imagine, regular and Heisman sizes.

No surprise, but the restaurant has sold hundreds of Joey Burriteauxs, so many it’s soon to be going on Zippy’s permanent menu board.

When he wanted to go to Nebraska and they said no, then he sat at Ohio St. for 3 long years, then he made a decision to transfer, and to then enjoy the teamwork and success he has at LSU, that would make you emotional.  In his speech, I think the most feeling went out to Orgeron, it looks like there is a real connection there.  That was a special moment.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2019 at 9:12 AM, Herb said:

Many LSU fans lived their entire lives (literally were born and have died) never seeing an LSU player win the Heisman in their lifetime.

I was 11 years old when Billy won his.  I listened to that game along with most others on the radio.  I vaguely remember a weekly coaches highlights show that was on TV.