Gameday Tigers

Let's Open The Presents! 2020 Early Signing Day(s)

Fishhead

5 minutes ago, dachsie said:

have we had any surprises that joined us?

LB Webb and OT Dumervil were not verbally committed to LSU, but were generally considered "leans" to LSU and both signed.  While not exactly a surprise, I consider it "very good news" that did not have to go that way.  The other wild card is Burch, announcing soon, not a verbal to LSU.

LSU officially inks nation's No. 1 tight end recruit out of Georgia

Keith Farner | 1 hour ago

One day after he was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year, Arik Gilbert of Marietta, Georgia made it official and signed with LSU.

Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan surprised Gilbert with the award in front of family, friends, teammates and coaches at his school, and Gilbert was visibly shocked to see Ryan. Gilbert is the top-ranked tight end recruit in the country, and committed to LSU in October as the Tigers reportedly beat out Alabama and Georgia.

00:22

The award covers athletic, academic and character accomplishes for the high school athletes.

Gilbert topped the list of 51 state winners in football, including 9 All-American Bowl Game participants, 27 All-State players, 7 SEC school committees and nearly all volunteering with at least two organizations.

The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder led the Blue Devils to a 13-2 record and the Class 7A State Championship. Gilbert caught 102 passes for 1,735 yards and 14 touchdowns through 15 games.

The founder of a campus-wide initiative called “Whisper,” which urges students to have device-free conversations and supports diversity and inclusion efforts, Gilbert has also volunteered on behalf of the East Atlanta Kids Club, Habitat for Humanity and March of Dimes.

A parishioner at the Life Revolution Church, Gilbert has also donated more than 50 hours to Marietta elementary schools and the Marietta Youth Football program. “Arik Gilbert is one of the best players I’ve ever coached against,” said John Reid, head coach at Rome High School. “He’s huge, fast and has great hands. He’s the best player on the field at any position he lines up.”

Hold That Tiger

Arik Gilbert, the Gatorade National Player of the Year, is Callin' Baton Rouge #GeauxTigers

Embedded video

OK, regarding Rak Jarrett.

He's been saying his school wouldn't let him sign today, had to wait til February.  

Clearly that was a lie, and the LSU coaches knew it. 

LSU pressed him to sign today knowing he could, and he said no.  When that happened, LSU coaches said "dueces", and he was left with Maryland. 

(Just another theory)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishhead said:

OK, regarding Rak Jarrett.

He's been saying his school wouldn't let him sign today, had to wait til February.  

Clearly that was a lie, and the LSU coaches knew it. 

LSU pressed him to sign today knowing he could, and he said no.  When that happened, LSU coaches said "dueces", and he was left with Maryland. 

(Just another theory)

When you are on a secret visit to another school and a coach from LSU asks where you are, then you tell him something else, bye. You will never be able to trust him from then on.

1 minute ago, LSUDad said:

When you are on a secret visit to another school and a coach from LSU asks where you are, then you tell him something else, bye. You will never be able to trust him from then on.

Well wouldn't that eliminate Burton?  The LSU coaches didn't know about his UGA visit(S) until they were underway. 

Looking like we may get neither.  Not good.  Still holding out hope for Burton but the coaches are having to work their asses off today for a kid that last night said he was in. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fishhead said:

Well wouldn't that eliminate Burton?  The LSU coaches didn't know about his UGA visit(S) until they were underway. 

Looking like we may get neither.  Not good.  Still holding out hope for Burton but the coaches are having to work their asses off today for a kid that last night said he was in. 

Like I said, trust. Remember the 5 for 5? How many turned out great or even good, that we didn't get?

9 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Like I said, trust. Remember the 5 for 5? How many turned out great or even good, that we didn't get?

That's not the point I was making though. 

You mentioned a guy (Jarrett) taking secret visits as a reason he was "processed".  Burton did the same thing. 

And regarding the 5-5, I'm not upset about who chose to go elsewhere.  That's their decision and LSU will be fine with those that choose NOT to be Tigers. 

But it's a little disconcerting that there are actually guys that wanted to be Tigers that were advised to look elsewhere because we had bigger fish to fry.  And now we're still fishing for those bigger fish lol. 

No big deal I guess, but it's a real thing when a guy like Major Burns is advised to look elsewhere and we don't actually land those "bigger fish". 

• Like 1

Just now, Fishhead said:

That's not the point I was making though. 

You mentioned a guy (Jarrett) taking secret visits as a reason he was "processed".  Burton did the same thing. 

And regarding the 5-5, I'm not upset about who chose to go elsewhere.  That's their decision and LSU will be fine with those that choose NOT to be Tigers. 

But it's a little disconcerting that there are actually guys that wanted to be Tigers that were advised to look elsewhere because we had bigger fish to fry.  And now we're still fishing for those bigger fish lol. 

No big deal I guess, but it's a real thing when a guy like Major Burns is advised to look elsewhere and we don't actually land those "bigger fish". 

I have no problem with kids going to other schools. So many were down when Joe McKnight went to USC, we came out good on that one also. Right now, LSU is in a spot that we have never been in, TOP DOG. When was the last time LSU Football was in this spot? How about never.

When kids start playing games, odds are, you are better off without them. We are in a better spot than I can ever remember.

One LSU Coach use to say, don't worry about the ones you missed, worry about the ones you got.

1 minute ago, LSUDad said:

I have no problem with kids going to other schools. So many were down when Joe McKnight went to USC, we came out good on that one also. Right now, LSU is in a spot that we have never been in, TOP DOG. When was the last time LSU Football was in this spot? How about never.

When kids start playing games, odds are, you are better off without them. We are in a better spot than I can ever remember.

One LSU Coach use to say, don't worry about the ones you missed, worry about the ones you got.

Again, point being, Burns and others weren't playing games.  They wanted to be Tigers and were advised to look elsewhere.  

I agree about those playing games like Burton and Rak.  Let em go.  But just don't throw out the baby with the bath water thinking you need room you may not need.