Gameday Tigers

Let's Open The Presents! 2020 Early Signing Day(s)

Fishhead

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Many times, it’s better to miss on a player, all too often. Thank God for unanswered prayers. 

Yeah, like I said Wednesday, I'm not concerned about missing on either Jarrett or Burton.  We have receivers and a loaded LA class of receivers next year.  Boutte may be the best of them all anyway.  I pretty much guarantee he'll have the better college career with our offense vs UGA or friggin Maryland lol. 

Same with Evans.  I'm tired of following that kid.  If he winds up a Tiger, so be it, but I hope he gets severely humbled once he arrives on campus...like, by Damone Clark or someone like that. 

I'm rooting for Gibbs for RB at this point.  Evans loves creating drama.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Yeah, like I said Wednesday, I'm not concerned about missing on either Jarrett or Burton.  We have receivers and a loaded LA class of receivers next year.  Boutte may be the best of them all anyway.  I pretty much guarantee he'll have the better college career with our offense vs UGA or friggin Maryland lol. 

Same with Evans.  I'm tired of following that kid.  If he winds up a Tiger, so be it, but I hope he gets severely humbled once he arrives on campus...like, by Damone Clark or someone like that. 

I'm rooting for Gibbs for RB at this point.  Evans loves creating drama.  

Maryland has been a bad team, in the last 9 seasons, they have had two 7 win seasons. 
As for UGA, when LSU is averaging over 20 ppg wins, you won’t be winning the SEC Championship. Smart is Richt 2.0

Early signing ends with nine top-100 prospects unsigned

8:12 PM CT
  • ESPN News Services 

College football's early signing period closed with several top-100 prospects still officially uncommitted.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're undecided.

Nine of the nation's top 100 prospects according to the ESPN 300 rankings are listed as uncommitted, but the majority of them plan to announce their college decisions over the next two weeks.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Cornerbacks Kelee Ringo (ranked No. 11 overall) and Dontae Manning (No. 23); tight end/athlete Darnell Washington (No. 6); wide receivers Gary Bryant Jr. (No. 98) and Xzavier Henderson (No. 74); and running backs Zachary Evans (No. 7) and Daniyel Ngata (No. 46) are scheduled to announce at their respective high school all-star games. The Under Armour All-America Game takes place Jan. 2 in Orlando, Florida, and the U.S. Army All-American Bowl is Jan. 4 at San Antonio, Texas.

While these all-star games have long served as showcases for elite recruits to announce their college decisions, the arrival of the early signing period two years ago has created a new wrinkle because it leaves open the possibility that a player could sign with a school and try to keep it quiet until he announces his decision on television.

ADVERTISEMENT

The all-star game announcements could provide good news for Georgia and Oregon since both schools are contending for a number of top players who haven't announced decisions, including Ringo and Manning. Georgia also is a contender for Washington and Evans.

Clemson closes the early signing period ranked atop the team recruiting rankings after landing five of the nation's top 29 prospects, but Alabama is close behind. Clemson and Alabama are followed in order by Ohio State, LSU and Auburn.

Sedric Van Pran at Warren Easton (4*) has been committed to Ga. for a while.  Their o-line coach left, Van Pran did not sign with Ga. yet.  With LSU offensive line winning the award as the top o-line in the nation, and credit to Coach Cregg, might that give LSU a second shot at Van Pran?  We wanted him all along, supposedly he said he wanted to play out of state.  To get to Ga., I am not sure how that is exciting or anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Sedric Van Pran at Warren Easton (4*) has been committed to Ga. for a while.  Their o-line coach left, Van Pran did not sign with Ga. yet.  With LSU offensive line winning the award as the top o-line in the nation, and credit to Coach Cregg, might that give LSU a second shot at Van Pran?  We wanted him all along, supposedly he said he wanted to play out of state.  To get to Ga., I am not sure how that is exciting or anything.

Some that didn’t sign in the early period have their reasons. Still got ways to go with some, but like I said, far from over. 

Dec 21, 2019

Editor’s note: This story has been udpated since it was originally published.

ARLINGTON -- Another top player will miss Saturday’s highly anticipated Class 6A Division I state championship rematch between Duncanville and Galena Park North Shore.

Zach Evans, a senior North Shore running back rated as the top Class of 2020 recruit in Texas by 247sports’ composite ranking, will miss Saturday afternoon’s game, according to multiple media reports.

The Houston Chronicle reported that Evans violated team rules regarding cell phone usage.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/21/star-galena-park-north-shore-running-back-zach-evans-reportedly-wont-play-vs-duncanville/

I'm happy for all of the players that want to be here.

I will take special delight if Dylan Moses declares for the draft after Alabama's bowl game knowing that he never won a national championship at Bama.  That was one of the reasons he spurned LSU in the 11th hour and the reason several other recruits over the years ditched LSU for Alabama.

It speaks to the advice for recruits that they should base their decision on the university and not one coach over another.

I don't wish any player ill will for their decisions to opt for what they feel are greener pastures, I just hope that what they could have had haunts them.

• Like 1

5-star recruit Rakim Jarrett calls out LSU for treatment of fellow Maryland native Demon Clowney

Michael Wayne Bratton | 3 hours ago

It’s been an incredible season on and off the field for LSU. The Tigers have already won the 2019 SEC Championship and advanced to their first-ever appearance in the College Football Playoff while Joe Burrow recently captured the second Heisman Trophy in program history.

All that success has also translated to recruiting, as the Tigers currently have a top 5 recruiting class for the 2020 cycle and led to many elite prospects around the nation giving LSU a more serious look than they might have otherwise.

00:01

But before LSU had its incredible run, one nationally elite recruit was already on board with the Tigers as Maryland native and five-star receiver Rakim Jarrett committed to Ed Orgeron’s program back in the spring. Despite overtures from Alabama, Tennessee and Maryland, Jarrett remained committed to the Tigers the entire football season.

Then came the Early Signing Period.

Of course, you likely know by now that Jarrett shocked the recruiting world by signing with Maryland during the first day of the Early Signing Period instead of sticking to his commitment with the Tigers. Now that he’s a Terrapin, it would appear Jarrett has turned full heel on the Tiger program.

Check out a recent comment Jarrett had following the decommitment of fellow Maryland recruit Demon Clowney from LSU’s program. Based on Jarrett’s comment, despite holding Clowney’s pledge for months, LSU didn’t have room for the long-time defensive commit come the Early Signing Period:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-24-at-10.26.26-AM.pn

That’s not likely a comment that’s going to go over well in Baton Rouge. At least Clowney now has several weeks to decide where he will play his college football given that the traditional National Signing Day doesn’t arrive until February.

For whatever reason, this comment, along with some other recent comments Jarrett had for LSU after signing with Maryland, shows that the receiver doesn’t have much respect for the program he was committed to for nearly a year.

My guess on Clowney is that LSU wanted to see him get his grades up.  He might still sign with LSU but Jarrett got butt hurt over this. These kids sometimes don't understand that there are academic standards they must meet if they want to play and programs like LSU have the luxury of cherry picking from larger pools of recruits.

Jarrett put his eggs in the basket of a program that was in shambles in the wake of Jordan McNair's death less than 2 years ago. I think he got sold on Maryland somehow thinking they are "WRU" and will be the successor to the Stefon Diggs/D.J. Moore legacy.

I like who we got and now it's about adding frosting to the cake.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herb said:

My guess on Clowney is that LSU wanted to see him get his grades up.  He might still sign with LSU but Jarrett got butt hurt over this. These kids sometimes don't understand that there are academic standards they must meet if they want to play and programs like LSU have the luxury of cherry picking from larger pools of recruits.

Jarrett put his eggs in the basket of a program that was in shambles in the wake of Jordan McNair's death less than 2 years ago. I think he got sold on Maryland somehow thinking they are "WRU" and will be the successor to the Stefon Diggs/D.J. Moore legacy.

I like who we got and now it's about adding frosting to the cake

This and what dad said. Clowney did not have the option to sign early with LSU

Top performers from Day 1 of the 2020 Under Armour AA Game

ByCHARLES POWER 14 hours ago 

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Sunday evening marked the first day of practices for the Under Armour All-America Game. Close to one hundred of the nation's top football prospects were at Disney's Wide World of Sports for the event's initial practice session. The roster is divided into two teams – Team Savage and Team Pressure. Both squads had a simultaneous non-padded practice on adjacent fields. While contact was limited, we were able to get an extensive first look at the prospects on hand in drills, 1-on-1, 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 situations.

Here are our top performers for the day, headlined by an SEC signee who turned in a dominant performance.

Alpha Dog

On a field with several blue-chip defensive linemen and jumbo athletes, it was Florida defensive tackle signee Gervon Dexter(25) who was the runaway top performer on Sunday. The Lake Wales (Fla.) standout is a menacing physical presence on the inside and was unblockable during Sunday's practice. At 6-foot-6.5, 286 pounds, he has a unique blend of length, first step quickness and strength on the interior. Dexter flashed in multiple segments of the practice, first getting penetration on consecutive plays in the initial 11-on-11 portion. During 1-on-1's, the Gator signee made easy work of the Team Pressure offensive line, utilizing a rip move or simply walking back the offensive lineman with a bull rush. He later caught our eye in the final 11-on-11 segment, chasing down a running back over twenty yards downfield. Simply put, Dexter did whatever he wanted on Sunday. He's already within the five-star striking range in the Top247 (there will be 32 final five-stars) and turned in Sunday's showing on the heels of a highly productive senior season. Dexter is still relatively new to football and continues to improve at a rapid pace, pointing to a potential continued rise, should he keep this up throughout the week. 

Top Five on Offense

OT Broderick Jones (41) – Perhaps the top unsigned prospect in the game, the Georgia verbal commitment both looked and played the part of a top offensive tackle prospect on Sunday. The Lithonia (Ga.) lineman has an ideal build for the position with a long lean frame and thick lower half, while carrying no bad weight. Jones looked the part of a high-upside athletic blindside tackle in practice, impressing with his quickness both off the snap and in mirroring pass rushers during 1-on-1’s and 11-on-11. He was able to get into his pass set with ease and was unbothered off the edge for most of the day. In addition to his movement skills, Jones also showed some pop in his hands on contact. No other offensive lineman in attendance appears to challenge Jones’ unique combination of feet and length on the edge. He's set to take January officials to Georgia, Auburn and Tennessee before signing. 

WR Julian Fleming (4) – Fleming enters the week as the highest-rated prospect in attendance and lived up to that billing during the first practice. The Ohio State signee is a physical mismatch for almost anyone he lines up against and had his way with the Team Savage defensive backs in 1-on-1’s. Fleming is able to win with both speed and physicality, using his body to box out defenders in contested situations, particularly when working across the middle of the field on Sunday.

WR Kayshon Boutte (49) – Sunday provided one of our most extended in-person looks at Boutte to this point. We knew the LSU signee to be a versatile offensive weapon with advanced speed based on his high school football and track resume. Boutte brought those skills to the table but also flashed some pleasantly surprising ball skills, elevating to make a few contested grabs. His explosiveness both off the line of scrimmage and in-air was more than evident. In all, Boutte was the most impressiveTeam Pressure wideout on Sunday. 

OL Nate Anderson (50) – Anderson has always been more of the more athletic and light-footed offensive line prospects in this cycle. The Oklahoma signee has typically been one of the lighter offensive linemen at national events and has been understandably overmatched at times from a strength standpoint. That wasn’t the case on Sunday, with Anderson showing the ability to anchor and win at the point of attack in 1-on-1’s. After Jones, he was our pick for the next best offensive lineman from Team Pressure. This type of strength development is typical of lean, athletic offensive linemen and Anderson looks to be progressing on that front. 

WR Marvin Mims (344) – No wide receiver had a bigger senior season than Mims, who set the national single season record for receiving yards with 2,646 yards (and 31 touchdowns). The Oklahoma signee continued his hot streak on Sunday, using his quickness to create separation within his routes while also showing the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Mims rebounded from a few early drops in 1-on-1's to catch multiple touchdowns in red zone work.

Next Five on Defense

DB Enzo Jennings (155) – No defensive back made more plays on the ball than the Penn State signee. While he’s ranked as a safety, Jennings worked at corner for Team Savage and used his length and tracking skills to make a number of pass break ups, including a few acrobatic deflections. Sunday was the most we’ve seen him tested in this type of setting and Jennings came up big on seemingly every occasion.

DT Jaquelin Roy (46) – The LSU signee has some of the quickest hands in this cycle. Roy’s explosiveness off the snap was evident in 1-0n-1’s when he emphatically won a few reps on Clemson signee Walker Parks – one of the more athletic offensive linemen in attendance. Roy’s advanced technical skills and hand quickness allowed him to get into the backfield before the offensive linemen were out of their stance. 

DT Demonte Capehart (35) – The Clemson signee had the best day of the defensive linemen on a strong Team Savage front. Capehart had the most wins in 1-on-1’s, making use of a nice swim move and batted a pass that was intercepted in 11-on-11 work. 

CB Andre Seldon (355) – At 5-foot-8, Seldon is the shortest defender on hand but played big on Sunday. Seldon had the most deflections we saw for a Team Pressure defensive back, getting his hands on the football with regularity, lined up both on the outside and as a slot corner. The Michigan signee didn’t back down when facing bigger wideouts and played with aggression and confidence. 

DB Jaylon Jones (27) – The Texas A&M signee continued to show his advanced instincts on Sunday. Jones is capable of playing multiple spots in the secondary but worked at corner. He was able to use his feel for reading the passing game to jump routes and put himself in the position to make plays. Even when Jones lost a rep to a talented receiver like Julian Fleming, the Texas native was not out of position. 

Best of the Rest

Alabama signee Thaiu Jones-Bell (92), Clemson signee EJ Williams (101) and Georgia signee Marcus Rosemy (79) were other wideouts who flashed at times. Jones-Bell would’ve been our next pick for top receiver after Mims. The South Florida product got behind the defense and turned in a strong 1-on-1 session. Williams came on as the practice progressed and was open for much of the day, even when he wasn’t always targeted. Rosemy wasn’t overly flashy but was one of the more consistent wide receivers on Team Savage. Penn State tight end signee Theo Johnson (72) also flashed in limited targets, highlighted by a nice grab on a deep corner route.

We liked what we saw from Georgia commit Sedrick Van Pran (250) on the interior offensive line. The New Orleans native has a stout base and was able to drop the anchor on contact in 1-on-1’s while working at center. The Team Pressure offensive line appears to be a good bit ahead of the Team Savage front, but Miami signee Jalen Rivers (251) turned in a solid 1-on-1 session. 

The Team Savage defensive front looks quite strong with Jordan Burch (8), Chris Braswell (31), and Jalen Carter (20) teaming with Capehart. All three had their moments on the day. Burch was working at end and looked quick despite carrying 275 pounds on the edge. Braswell is a lean edge rusher and showed a nice first step in drills. In 11-on-11, Braswell was able to create some disruption off the edge and had at least one would-be sack. Carter is built like a brick house and pairs high-level strength and athleticism on the interior.

Much of Saturday’s practice was inconclusive for the running backs and linebackers. That should change once the pads come on. With that said, we liked what we saw from EJ Smith (303) on the pass catching front. The Stanford signee has some of the best hands among running backs in the 2020 cycle and actually won the one-handed catch contest on the JUGS machine at the end of practice. At linebacker, we liked how Penn State signee Curtis Jacobs (34) and Auburn signee Wesley Steiner (68) looked when dropping into space. We should know more about both positions tomorrow and as the week progresses. 

8COMMENTS

Demorie Tate (37), Kitan Crawford (181) and Jordan Toles (114) also flashed at defensive back. Tate (FSU signee) has supreme length at corner and made some nice plays on the ball. Crawford (Texas signee) was fluid in coverage and had a nice interception in the end zone. Toles (LSU signee) isn’t the listed 6-foot-3, but looks the part both in build and movement in coverage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Top performers from Day 1 of the 2020 Under Armour AA Game

WR Kayshon Boutte (49) – Sunday provided one of our most extended in-person looks at Boutte to this point. We knew the LSU signee to be a versatile offensive weapon with advanced speed based on his high school football and track resume. Boutte brought those skills to the table but also flashed some pleasantly surprising ball skills, elevating to make a few contested grabs. His explosiveness both off the line of scrimmage and in-air was more than evident. In all, Boutte was the most impressiveTeam Pressure wideout on Sunday. 

6 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Top performers from Da 

DT Jaquelin Roy (46) – The LSU signee has some of the quickest hands in this cycle. Roy’s explosiveness off the snap was evident in 1-0n-1’s when he emphatically won a few reps on Clemson signee Walker Parks – one of the more athletic offensive linemen in attendance. Roy’s advanced technical skills and hand quickness allowed him to get into the backfield before the offensive linemen were out of their stance.