Gameday Tigers

Let's Open The Presents! 2020 Early Signing Day(s)

Fishhead

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

So is that Zach Evans kid playing games or what. He has signed with someone but doesn’t want to announce it?  He was supposed to announce tonite and now he isn’t 

Like I always say, worry about the ones you get, move on. 

Early enrollees Kole Taylor and Max Johnson report to campus, join LSU football team

27d8ff54-0489-5cf1-8243-f53b77e31e4c

Oconee County's Max Johnson (14) passes the ball to a receiver during a GHSA high school football game between Madison County and Oconee County in Watkinsville Ga., on Friday, Nov. 8, 2019. Oconee County defeated Madison County 42-14.[Photo/Austin Steele, for the Athens Banner-Herald]

Austin Steele

Incoming freshmen Kole Taylor and Max Johnson reported to campus on Thursday, and they will soon practice with LSU.

Johnson, a four-star quarterback from Georgia, and Taylor, a three-star tight end from Colorado, must complete a few academic requirements before they can practice.

Johnson and Taylor joined quarterback TJ Finley as early enrollees on campus. Finely practiced with LSU for two days before the team left for the Peach Bowl. He practiced again on Thursday afternoon.

"I don't know when they're going to start," Orgeron said. "They're going to practice as soon as they can. They got a couple things in school they've got to finish."

These are some interesting comments about recruiting in Texas in 1978-1979, trying to get Eric Dickerson to sign a LOI.  The recruiting part is the first 6 minutes, then there is 4 min. on his SMU career, but the best of his career runs come right after that, his first 3 years with the Rams.

Edited by houtiger

Georgia mod today:

Made a change to Foggy, I have no clue where this kid is going to end up, but I have had 3-4 trusted sources in the last two hours tell me he would not be in Athens as a part of the program.

My guess is LSU or A&M.

This has been unlike anything I have covered so, we will just all sit back and watch it unfold and see where he ends up.

18 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

This has officially moved to the top of the strangest recruit ever list

Yep I think we've entered the Twilight Zone on this one.

Note to Georgia mod: Is it 3 or 4 trusted sources in two hours. Make up your mind!!!!!  Seriously, this recruiting stuff has become a sideshow. 

5-star RB Zach Evans will reportedly not play for Georgia despite signing with the Bulldogs

Keith Farner | 2 hours ago

Zach Evans has had among the most drama of any recruit in this recruiting cycle, and there appears to be another chapter in the recruiting saga for the 5-star running back.

A one-time Georgia recruit, Evans is now looking to another program, according to a report from 247Sports.

Evans told reporters at the Under Armour All-American Game that he signed with a college team during the Early Signing Period. That program was Georgia. However, Evans did not announce his college decision as previously scheduled during the all-star game. Evans said postgame he “can’t answer” questions about his college decision.

The signed letter does not necessarily bind him to Georgia. The Bulldogs are expected to grant Evans an unconditional release, which would allow Evans to explore other options. Other schools are prohibited from contacting Evans while he’s bound by an NLI, per NCAA regulations.

Evans is the the No. 14 overall prospect and No. 1 running back in the 247Sports Composite for the 2020 cycle. He won MVP honors at the Under Armour All-American Game and rushed for 1,600 yards and 20 touchdowns on just 127 carries as a senior for North Shore High School (Texas).

It’s unclear which direction Evans is leaning, but it appears down to LSU and Texas A&M. Evans has been linked to at least six programs behind the scenes.

The five-star running back cannot sign another NLI during this recruiting cycle, according NCAA rules, which means Evans will verbally commit to his next school with no official paperwork tying him to that program. A similar situation occurred in 2018 with Ale Kaho and Washington. Kaho signed an NLI with the Huskies but never actually enrolled with the school. That August the Huskies granted him an unconditional release and soon after Kaho enrolled at Alabama without penalty.

Evans will be free to enroll anywhere he wants and will be eligible to play next season with a full release. It’s unclear if Evans will be an early enrollee at his next stop as he previously planned.

So is this just a case of buyer's remorse or is this a potential character issue?

The articles I read say that he's expected to go to TAMU now.

16 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Joe McKnight recruitment had a lot of drama, but not this much.  We may do well to pass on this kid (Evans), he does not seem settled.

Evans maybe too big for his britches? 
note it says he can go play elsewhere IF UGA gives a full release and that may not happen till next august....

Where is Paul Harvey when you need him? There is a rest of the story here. I'm hearing lots of rumors but nothing concrete.  Supposedly under one scenario he waited late to take ACT, took it and now doesn't have a high enough score to qualify. Apparently the test isn't offered again until some time in February after signing day. This lead Georgia to not accept his SLI. Is that even possible? I haven't verified any of that, just passing on what a fellow LSU fan who follows recruiting told me.  Anyone hearing anything else :popcorn:

Edited by Hatchertiger

Did some digging, here is an article about what may have transpired:

Evans told reporters at the Under Armour All-American Game that he signed with a college team during the Early Signing Period. That program was Georgia. However, Evans did not announce his college decision as previously scheduled during the all-star game. Evans said postgame he “can’t answer” questions about his college decision, per 247Sports’ Brian Dohn.

247Sports reached out to Evans and his family for comment but did not receive a response prior to publication.

Evans signed an NLI during the Early Signing Period. But that does not necessarily bind him to Georgia. The Bulldogs are expected to grant Evans an unconditional release. That will allow Evans to explore other options. Other schools are prohibited from contacting Evans while he’s bound by an NLI, per NCAA regulations.

The five-star running back cannot sign another NLI during this recruiting cycle, according to NCAA rules, which means Evans will verbally commit to his next school with no official paperwork tying him to that program. A similar situation occurred in 2018 with Ale Kaho and Washington. Kaho signed an NLI with the Huskies but never actually enrolled with the school. That August the Huskies granted him an unconditional release and soon after Kaho enrolled at Alabama without penalty.

Evans will be free to enroll anywhere he wants and will be eligible to play next season with a full release. It’s unclear if Evans will be an early enrollee at his next stop as he previously planned.

https://247sports.com/Article/Zach-Evans-recruiting-Georgia-Texas-AM-LSU-National-Letter-of-Intent-141733722/