Gameday Tigers

SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023 Season

LSUDad

Report: SEC football leaving CBS after 2023 season

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

It appears the days of the “SEC on CBS” are numbered. Sports Business Journal Daily is reporting that CBS is walking away from the bidding war for the packaging after the 2023 season.

According to John Ourand and Michael Smith, CBS’s bid was in the neighborhood of $300 million per year to broadcast the weekly top conference game. The network pays $55 million per year under the current agreement. The bidding is now “well over” $300 million according to the report.

00:00

“We made a strong and responsible bid. While we‘ve had success with the SEC on CBS, we are instead choosing to aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward,” CBS Sports PR told SBJ.

SBJ indicates that ESPN/ABC is now in the “final stages” of negotiating a deal, even though the report notes that FOX Sports was still planning to make a presentation at SEC headquarters in Birmingham.

According to the report, ESPN won the SEC over by pitching more creative scheduling by owning all the rights:

With ESPN owning all of the SEC’s football rights, it’s possible that more than one game will be produced for broadcast TV; more top-tier games can be moved to primetime; and the conference can schedule more late afternoon games without having to worry about running into CBS’ exclusive window.

As of right now, CBS is set to air SEC games for the next four seasons, but the report states it is possible that the SEC or ESPN/ABC could buy out CBS’s remaining years.

Obviously, SEC fans everywhere will be following the developments in the negotiations. For now, it appears CBS is officially out of the bidding war.

7 hours ago, COTiger said:

I must be in the minority.  I don't have a problem with Gary.  I'll admit I pay a lot more attention to what I'm seeing take place on the field than what I'm hearing the announcers comment on.

I join you in the minority, I am good with Gary.  He had a 12 year career in the NFL, was the Lions starting QB for quite a few of those years.  I think he knows his stuff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

I join you in the minority, I am good with Gary.  He had a 12 year career in the NFL, was the Lions starting QB for quite a few of those years.  I think he knows his stuff.

may one time Gary was one of the best in the business. 

those days have passed him by as he has been slipping further and further away from that every year. 

he now botches names on a regular basis, gets teams backwards, get plays straight up wrong, etc. 

we won’t know whether this is good or not until we see it in action. 

positives:  beat games of the week will now be in prime time every week. on one of 3 channels. This should increase number of night games for LSU. 

negatives:  a LOT more day game slots available to fill as well. this could increase number of shitty kick times for LSU. 

Show me the money...

SEC

Massive TV payday: Clay Travis reports estimated figures SEC to receive from ESPN/ABC

Keith Farner | 2 days ago

One of the more interesting television rights deals in sports in recent memory may have another twist to it, according to Clay Travis of Outkick the Coverage.

The SEC on CBS package, reportedly switching hands to ABC/ESPN as CBS was out of the running, a deal termed as “likely” by the Sports Business Journal, may change before the contract expires in 2023.

00:19

Travis reported the deal was close to $400 million per year for the 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday game. It would air on ABC. He termed it a “monster” deal for Disney investing that much money into the SEC. It’s equally a big loss for CBS, which reportedly had the deal previously for $55 million per year. The audience is unmatched, as the LSU-Alabama game this season drew about 16 million viewers, he said.

“Credit to Disney/ABC/ESPN for getting this rights package done,” Travis said. “This is a monster win for them that locks up the SEC for years and years to come. And it gets them the preeminent rights package in the entirety of college football.”

Travis said the CBS-SEC relationship went down hill when CBS didn’t re-negotiate the agreement when Missouri and Texas A&M joined the league in 2012.

While the CBS contract has years remaining, Travis said there are negotiations underway to switch the marquee game to ABC/ESPN ahead of 2023. He added that there could be tweaks to the coverage, such as a simulcast, and possibly a lead-in to the Game of the Week. Value could be added with a lead-in noon game, which doesn’t exist on the current SEC on CBS schedule.

“Right now it’s an island in the CBS television contract,” Travis said.

Finally, Travis added that ABC/ESPN should negotiate for right to the SEC on CBS jingle, which he said is nearly as iconic as the Masters theme.

“Credit to Disney/ABC/ESPN for getting this rights package done. This is a monster win for them that locks up the SEC for years and years to come. And it gets them the preeminent rights package in the entirety of college football.”—@ClayTravis

Embedded video