Gameday Tigers

GDT Podcast LSU vs OU Preview

Fishhead

• Fishhead pinned and featured this topic

Great job as usual guys, THANKS!!!  Ensminger, in the video below, at 5:09 says "I think Clyde will be there", meaning to me, E expects him to play.

Regarding the other RB catching passes, we have not seen that to have the faith in them, but that does not mean they don't have that skill set.  One or two of them could break out and show us something we haven't seen.  As far as running the ball, I think TDP can run the ball as well as Clyde, maybe even better as a straight line runner with power and speed.  I have not seen TDP as a cutter, nor a spin move, but straight line, I think he's very good.  Curry I see as a slower TDP.  Emery may be a good pass receiver, waiting to blossom.  But I think TDP can run the ball well enough to keep the OK defense honest.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

I was thinking, before the Ga. game, Kirby Smart was talking about defending LSU, and he said in one game, they ran 23 plays, up tempo, and never substituted a player.  That never gives the defense an opportunity to bring in a package for 3rd and long.  It is probably CEH that gives us the opportunity to do that, because he can do it all.   If we wanted to sub in a better pass catching RB on 3rd and long, it takes away the opportunity to play up tempo.

If a RB wanted to make a name for himself next year, over the summer I'd try to catch 5,000 passes.

8 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I was thinking, before the Ga. game, Kirby Smart was talking about defending LSU, and he said in one game, they ran 23 plays, up tempo, and never substituted a player.  That never gives the defense an opportunity to bring in a package for 3rd and long.  It is probably CEH that gives us the opportunity to do that, because he can do it all.   If we wanted to sub in a better pass catching RB on 3rd and long, it takes away the opportunity to play up tempo.

If a RB wanted to make a name for himself next year, over the summer I'd try to catch 5,000 passes.

we tend to. it have a ton of third and longs too

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Great job as usual guys, THANKS!!!  Ensminger, in the video below, at 5:09 says "I think Clyde will be there", meaning to me, E expects him to play

I think it's a bunch of coach speak. I mean, he'll be at the game, sure. He's in Atlanta with the team. But I don't see him actually playing. 

Hope the players all start game with the ‘long cleats’ on for that abominable turf that they have at MB stadium.

btw i saw where LSU was gonna practice at Grady High School field on one day in ATL....my BIL went to and played at Grady back in the ‘50’s...

• Like 1

Just as Fish noted in the podcast:

2. Great teams adjust like LSU did Saturday: With Clyde Edwards-Helaire limited, the Tigers had to find a way to provide another outlet for Burrow if Oklahoma loaded up on the back end to try to slow down LSU's stud receivers. Obviously, the Sooners didn't do a very good job of slowing them down, but LSU did throw in quite a few different looks underneath to make up for the absence of Edwards-Helaire as a receiver out of the backfield.

Tight end Thaddeus Moss had four catches for 99 yards and a touchdown. He did find his way upfield on several occasions, but offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and the rest of the staff had Moss leaking out into the flat often on Saturday, which gave Burrow the safety valve that Edwards-Helaire was prior to the hamstring injury that he suffered in practice last week.

The ability to adjust is a recurring theme for this staff. When Auburn loaded up the back end to slow down LSU's receivers in their meeting in Death Valley in October, Edwards-Helaire made a huge impact with seven catches -- his most in a single game of the season up to that point. Great coaches read and react. LSU's staff does just that.

• Like 2