Gameday Tigers

LSU vs OU

Nutriaitch

50 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

From post game presser:

Q. Joe and Justin, you guys both set a lot of records today. Are you aware of them? Do any of them mean any more than others? They handed us a whole sheet of all the records you all set today.

JOE BURROW: January 13 is the record we're worried about.

I aint sliding.

12 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Moving forward, Damien Lewis has an ankle injury.  No details yet.  

Terrace Marshall was ready to come back in after his shoulder injury.  Likely was just a stinger.  

Thank God for Ed Ingram. 

Early word, both will be ready

I was over confident that the Tigers would win.  I never worried about that game for a second.  When I heard OK was not that good on defense, I figured we'd win.  I almost hate feeling that way.

That game was enjoyable to watch, really enjoyable.  I was surprised Curry started at RB, but not surprised that he ran well.  He has run hard whenever he has been handed the ball.  CEH looked good, I think he will be full strength for the championship game, and we are going to need everything he can give us.  We didn't see much of Emery, but whenever he touches the ball, he looks like a slick ball carrier.

The next game will be much harder.  I put the Clemson game like playing InbredGumps over again, with a better QB than the injured Tua.  It should be an exciting championship game.

Marcus Spears had an interesting comment about the OU DC after the game on SECN.  He said OU went with a 3 man rush against Burrow and he ate them up.  He said the plan never worked and they should have switched and brought pressure against Burrow.  If you had less DB's in coverage, it would not have hurt OU, because they were being beaten anyhow.  I wonder if Clemson will play LSU different, I'm guessing they will.  And, I think Marcus is right, OU secondary was getting beat, they should have brought pressure, they may have made some big plays, and they would probably not have gotten beat any worse.

Hurts did not look very good.  We got pressure on him, and our secondary coverage was good.  Despite him being the Heisman runner up, I don't see him going very high in the draft, not sure he will ever play QB in the NFL.  RB, LB, or safety in the NFL, like Marcus Randall?

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Marcus Spears had an interesting comment about the OU DC after the game on SECN.  He said OU went with a 3 man rush against Burrow and he ate them up.  He said the plan never worked and they should have switched and brought pressure against Burrow.  If you had less DB's in coverage, it would not have hurt OU, because they were being beaten anyhow.  I wonder if Clemson will play LSU different, I'm guessing they will.  And, I think Marcus is right, OU secondary was getting beat, they should have brought pressure, they may have made some big plays, and they would probably not have gotten beat any worse.

Hurts did not look very good.  We got pressure on him, and our secondary coverage was good.  Despite him being the Heisman runner up, I don't see him going very high in the draft, not sure he will ever play QB in the NFL.  RB, LB, or safety in the NFL, like Marcus Randall?

OU simply doesn’t have the personnel for it.  they are the very epitome of the Big XII. Sink all of your resources on one side of the ball and pray for the best. 

Jalen was never a good passer. His numbers at Alabama were very pedestrian at best. It’s why Tua passed him up. 

Lincoln Riley did not fix him and turn him into a good one. Playing against those shyte defenses just made it look like he was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Most dominating performance by an LSU offense that I've ever seen. Game was over at half time.

Gene Chizik said Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia all would have beaten Oklahoma.  He's probably right.

Now Clemson has beaten someone.  That will be good for them, got in a dog fight and managed to prevail.  Clemson does not have the dominant d-line that they had last year.  But Clemson has recruited well for the last 5 years, plenty of stars over there.  It should be a very good game to watch, maybe a nail biter.

3 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Most dominating performance by an LSU offense that I've ever seen. Game was over at half time.

I was at a bar - yes I was imbibing as only a Louisiana native can - when halftime arrived I had almost forgotten that we had another half of the game left.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

Yeah, Clemson will play us differently because they normally blitz... a lot. I don't think it will matter though, they seem slow at LB and safety. Burrow will eat them alive.

Behind the Box Score: The Peach Bowl Massacre

Somebody hide the children

By Poseur@ATVSPoseur  Dec 30, 2019, 1:00pm CST

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: DEC 28 CFP Semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - Oklahoma v LSU

Well, that was fun.

The problem with winning a game so thoroughly and so quickly is that the box score starts to become sort of useless. The two teams spent an equal amount of effort in the second half trying to run the clock out so we could all go home.

Such is the nature of blowouts.

692. LSU’s total yards. 497 of those came in the first half, so imagine if LSU put forth a full throated effort in the second half. Oklahoma gained 322 yards, split almost evenly between the two halves: 160 and 162. LSU essentially put up a full game’s worth of offense in one half.

15-31-217. Jalen Hurts’ line. Unfortunately, almost every game now gets billed as a comparison between the two starting quarterbacks and how they compared to Joe Burrow. Hurts was a Heisman candidate and… well, he didn’t measure up. He got smacked around all game, though he did add two touchdowns on 14 of 43 rushing. Not a good day, mind you, but a little bit better.

7. Second half possessions. The two squads went back and forth in the first half. Hell, LSU scored seven touchdowns in the first half, but in the second, no stat shows how the two teams let the air out of the football more than the lack of drives. Oklahoma had just one third quarter drive and three in the second half. LSU’s shortest drive that didn’t end in the victory formation was 4:40. LSU ran 35 plays in the second half, of 74 total, and simply contented themselves to move the ball slowly down the field. Their three longest drives by number of plays and time were all in the second half. 

2. Clyde Edwards-Helaire carries. He gained just 14 yards, but he was a cool decoy on the first TD and he drew one of the more egregious targeting fouls you’ll see, as the Oklahoma defender decided to go for the cheap shot instead of, you know, stopping the guy running for a third down. But in limited duty, he looked healthy, which bodes well going forward. Chis Curry went 16-89 in his absence, and looked great doing it.

14-227-4. Justin Jefferson’s line. Wow. That’s really all you can say. Wow.

4-119-0. CeeDee Lamb’s line. On a day in which most of the OU team looked hopelessly outmatched, let’s take a moment for the guy who looked like one of the best players on the field. He was the Sooners offense for the most part and he’s going to make all of the money in the NFL. Good for him. 

8. Patrick Queen tackles. 1.5 of them for a loss. Backing up that talk with the walk. It ain’ bragging if you can do it. He led LSU in total tackles.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:42 AM, dachsie said:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2019/12/29/steve-ensminger-lsu-carley-mccord-death?__twitter_impression=true

good article about tragedy. Apparently Steve Jr wasn’t able to go to game. He was at home

I just read an article that said it might take NTSB investigators up to a year to determine a probable cause for the crash.  Their investigation will be hampered by the fact that the aircraft wasn't equipped with a flight data recorder.  I would speculate that the crash was caused by a combination of three factors.  Weather, mechanical failure, and pilot error.