Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

Thought I’d start this one, we have a number of movements that will be going on. But some folks look to be staying. I’m busy today, but will try and update, I would rather someone else, ESPN, LSU, Sports talk guys in town, release these things. It’s better that way. 

LSU assistant coach says goodbye to the Tigers, announces he's taking job at Old Dominion

Michael Wayne Bratton | 2 hours ago

John Decoster just confirmed he’s headed to Old Dominion.

The LSU assistant coach worked with the team’s tight ends last season, leading to a breakout season for Thad Moss and played a role in the Tigers landing five-star tight end Arik Gilbert during the 2020 recruiting cycle.

00:03
04:39

00:15

While he was technically listed as a graduate assistant for LSU, Ed Orgeron’s staff did not have a full-time tight ends coach listed among the 10 assistants on staff, indicating how valuable Decoster was this season to the team.

Decoster shared the following statementthanking LSU as he moves on to Old Dominion:

“Spent the past three seasons at LSU as a GA was blessed with the rare opportunity the past two seasons to also serve as the tight ends coach. It’s been one hell of a ride.

“To the LSU tight ends THANK YOU for trusting in me to be your coach. Playing tight end can be a thankless job at times, y’all kept grinding and made sure y’all had an IMPACT on the game catching passes and bodies. We made history and set the bar for the future of that position.

“Was fortunate to be a small part of a legendary team.

“Can’t wait to hit the ground running at ODU and work to bring a championship to the 757!

“Reign on and Geaux Monarchs!!!”

We can't hang onto top staff forever, they will move for a promotion.  Aranda was handsomely paid, the highest paid coordinator in the country I think.  And he delivered us a Natty.  He doesn't have anything else to aspire to at LSU except winning another.  But, he's got to ask himself if he really wants to do all the things a head coach has to do?  There is politicking with the AD and university president/board of supervisors.  Put together a staff, get them to work together cohesively.  Most important is RECRUITING.  Seems I read somewhere that Aranda didn't like to recruit, except linebackers.  Recruiting will be job 1.  Baylor has had occasional success, but it is not the platform that A&M or Texas is, or Oklahoma.  It's not centrally located, 100 miles south of Dallas, and 100 miles north of Austin.

But, if Aranda wants to test his skills, grow in the profession, may like a smaller town life, Waco could fit the bill.  Get a raise to boot.  The only deal then is you have to deliver the goods.  But, what does he have to lose?  If he flunks out as HC, he can go back as DC somewhere, but maybe not at $2.5 mil a year.

Aranda to Baylor is official.

Who's on your list to be LSU's DC in 2020? Here is a quick list from me:

Corey Raymond - keep the hire in-house and reward Corey Raymond for his efforts over the last several years. The only question is whether he is true DC material. 

Jeff Hafley - Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State. Hafley was a Broyles award finalist this year (Joe Brady won). 

Bert Watts - Fresno State DC. Watts is a fast rising star.

Bob Shoop - former DC at Mississippi State, wasn't retained by Mike Leach, subsequently hired at Michigan where his position is "TBD".

Jim Leonhard - DC Wisconsin...yeah, we should keep poaching their coaches. Lol. Seriously, Leonhard had the #3 scoring defense nationally in 2017 despite the highest drafted defensive player on his squad was a 4th round draft choice.  Imagine what he could do with LSU's talents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes like Coach Busch to Baylor w/ Dave.

Bingo. Remember you also have a support staff. Why not get folks familiar with your system. Folks you  are familiar with.  Makes the transition too easy. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

"Hot" list of candidates to replace Aranda

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2020/1/16/21010468/2020-lsu-football-defensive-coordinator-search-hotlist

Article points at that safeties coach Bill Busch, has been a DC and may be an avenue for some continuity with Aranda's defense. He could also follow Aranda to Baylor. But if we want him, LSU has more money than Baylor 🙂  I wonder if Coach O wants to continue with the 3-4 or switch back to the 4-3? Dunno, may impact who we hire though.

Ok, Brady wants to be Sean Payton, it was known, he followed him for two years. Remember, I’ve talked about one coach on here before, Doug Pederson, years back, he was coaching a high school team in North La. Now look where he’s at. Brady is the next up and coming coach. Every college and Pro team is looking for the next up and coming guy. 

Remember that Matt Canada guy, some might have missed it, he’s in the NFL, with the Steelers. 

Coaches are funny, some rather college, others, the Pros. Both are way different, Pro’s, someone gets hurt, Midseason, you can pick up a replacement. 

Remember when that high school stuff wouldn’t work in college, and the college stuff wouldn’t work in the Pros? Yea, me too. 

I’ll be at Pocorellos for lunch, with the Friday lunch bunch, if anyone needs me. Then a drive back to Tx, been a wild last couple months, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

My friend that loaned me his condo for the NCG said, you can have the place for a month if you want it. I wish I had the time, I need a vacation. Two trips to Atlanta, a few days South of the Border in Mexico, then 4 days in Nola. 4 days in BTR, got a roof put on my cousins house, made a trip up to Lake Rosemound, another cousin bought a lake lot, looking to build, wanted my opinion. Today after lunch, a friend is looking at a house, wants my opinion on it. Then the drive back to Tx. 

I need a vacation, or just run away from home? Continue to enjoy the NCG, don’t know when we will see another one. But this is a season to remember. 

10 hours ago, Herb said:

Aranda to Baylor is official.

Who's on your list to be LSU's DC in 2020? Here is a quick list from me:

Corey Raymond - keep the hire in-house and reward Corey Raymond for his efforts over the last several years. The only question is whether he is true DC material. 

Jeff Hafley - Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State. Hafley was a Broyles award finalist this year (Joe Brady won). 

Bert Watts - Fresno State DC. Watts is a fast rising star.

Bob Shoop - former DC at Mississippi State, wasn't retained by Mike Leach, subsequently hired at Michigan where his position is "TBD".

Jim Leonhard - DC Wisconsin...yeah, we should keep poaching their coaches. Lol. Seriously, Leonhard had the #3 scoring defense nationally in 2017 despite the highest drafted defensive player on his squad was a 4th round draft choice.  Imagine what he could do with LSU's talents.

Hadley took the Boston College HC job

Shoop just hired on at Michigan like yeaterday. 

32 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

"Hot" list of candidates to replace Aranda

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2020/1/16/21010468/2020-lsu-football-defensive-coordinator-search-hotlist

Article points at that safeties coach Bill Busch, has been a DC and may be an avenue for some continuity with Aranda's defense. He could also follow Aranda to Baylor. But if we want him, LSU has more money than Baylor 🙂  I wonder if Coach O wants to continue with the 3-4 or switch back to the 4-3? Dunno, may impact who we hire though.

Remember this, look how much money this frees up with the loss of Aranda and Brady. As a coach, you always keep a short list. With the addition of the support staff, you can pull from within. Winning the NC, coaches have already thrown their hats into the ring. Lots of talk was on Brady, Steve and Munoz were both heavy into this offensive transformation. Munoz was the QB Coach, Burrow will tell you that. 

Bringing in a formation, use of personnel, but remember this, knowing when to call a certain play. The TE got two TD’s, I called both, the long pass to Marshall, another call. To start every game, we use a number of formations, you then see what the defense uses, then you know what to call, and when to call it. 

Joe was great, the calls made and what he did, made this team. A scout told me after attending the Manning camp, Joe has it all, can make all the throws, field awareness. Joe checks down as well as any QB, he knows where every players is on their route. He knows if all are covered, Clyde will be coming across the middle, on a drag route, let’s dump it off to him, move the chains. 

Myles is very good, arm strength is off the charts, he’s got a gun, got that whip. The OL returns a good bit. 57, should move to OC, Ingram and Pancake will be your OG’s, Deculus at ORT, Rose at the OLT. Cregg did great with this past OL, look for more continuation. 

If you look at the signing class, they filled needs at certain positions. We Red-Shirted a number of players, but still got some in 4 games. We are bringing in two top TE’s, Moss stays? Wow, who do you cover? Two TE sets just got a little more interesting. You bring back two top WR’s in the nation, a couple RB’s that know the system, the sky is the limit. 

• Like 1