Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

When in Ga, I made this call, Smart was going to change his Lesladen offense. Talking with a number of UGA fans, some are married into my family. I said, you have talent out the wazoo, you need an overhaul. The East just got way better. 

Kirby Smart reportedly hires NFL coordinator Todd Monken to help modernize Georgia's passing game

Michael Wayne Bratton | 1 hour ago

Has Georgia just found its Joe Brady?

That’s the hope down in Athens as Kirby Smart has hired former Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken. This news was first reported by Radi Nabulsi of Rivals.

00:19

Monken spent last season as the Browns OC after serving in that role for three seasons with Tampa Bay. According to Rivals, it’s unclear what exact role Monken will be serving in on the Georgia staff as the Bulldogs already have an offensive coordinator in place in James Coley.

However, ESPN is reporting that Monken will serve as Georgia’s offensive coordinator next season. ESPN was also the first to report Georgia’s interest in hiring Monken this offseason.

Monken also has plenty of college experience as he previously served as Southern Miss head coach and as an assistant coach at Oklahoma State, LSU, Louisiana Tech, Eastern Michigan, Notre Dame and Grand Valley State.

With a new playcaller and new starting quarterback, Georgia’s offense could be unrecognizable next season. If you ask most members of Dawg Nation, that’s probably a good thing.

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

Hadley took the Boston College HC job

Shoop just hired on at Michigan like yeaterday. 

Missed the news on Hafley.  It'll be interesting to see what Michigan does with Shoop.  We'd likely give him a pay raise.

LSU will do fine...hiring good DCs is something we do in our sleep.

20 minutes ago, Herb said:

Missed the news on Hafley.  It'll be interesting to see what Michigan does with Shoop.  We'd likely give him a pay raise.

LSU will do fine...hiring good DCs is something we do in our sleep.

oh we’d definitely give Shoop a raise. I think he’s just an analyst at Michigan. 

But some guys won’t ditch a job les than a week into it. 

13 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

I think he’s just an analyst at Michigan. 

DC would be a step up from what he's being hired to do at Michigan and we'd pay him more money. No idea if he would leave Michigan now given his recent hire.

Shoop’s role remains to be seen but it’s likely he’ll be coaching safeties and/or linebackers for Michigan.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2020/1/16/21069719/michigan-football-bob-shoop-mississippi-state-don-brown-jim-harbaugh-jan-16

Edited by Hatchertiger

2 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Remember that Matt Canada guy, some might have missed it, he’s in the NFL, with the Steelers.

Canada sat out 2019 on the beach in N. Carolina.  Hired by the Steelers as QB coach.  2018 he was the interim HC at Maryland but they did not offer him the job.  Something does not look right with that guy.  Yes, we heard he is hard to work with, I wonder if that is all.  But, the Steelers must see something still there.

4 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

DC would be a step up from what he's being hired to do at Michigan and we'd pay him more money. No idea if he would leave Michigan now given his recent hire.

If you have not shown up at the office yet, it is pretty common to see somebody take a different offer.  If you were out looking, chances are good you were talking to two or three different opportunities, and you took the one that made their mind up first (any port in a storm).  But if the other guys get their mind made up, they may make a new offer at higher dollars.  They you look at the two situations, and if the higher dollar offer also is a better situation, many times you see them switch, at least in industry it happens often enough to "be a thing".

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

If you have not shown up at the office yet, it is pretty common to see somebody take a different offer.  If you were out looking, chances are good you were talking to two or three different opportunities, and you took the one that made their mind up first (any port in a storm).  But if the other guys get their mind made up, they may make a new offer at higher dollars.  They you look at the two situations, and if the higher dollar offer also is a better situation, many times you see them switch, at least in industry it happens often enough to "be a thing".

oh it definitely happens. 
but i think it depends on the person just as much as the situation. 

I don’t know enough about Shoop to accurately guess what he’d do. 
He may be willing to jump or if he’ll feel compelled to work at least one season before bolting. 

There are plenty of good candidates out there to replace Aranda. 

Another name to think about is Thom Herman's scapegoat, Todd Orlando. Some will say that his defense wasn't that good, but that was one of the few games where we didn't pulverize our opponents offensively.

There were only 3 games we played this year where the final score was 7 points or less of a difference.  Texas, Alabama, and Auburn were the only 3.

Orlando is another coach that was hired by another team once he bacame available. Texas Tech hired him as their LB Coach/Assistant Head Coach, but I'm guessing he's another that would come running to LSU.

Personally, I think there are better candidates out there but he is one to keep an eye on.

At what money that has been left on the table, LSU is in a great spot. What way does Ed go. We know this, he like coaches he’s been with before. He doesn’t mind from within, or looking outside the box. There are a number of names floating around. I’ve gotten at least 6 names. But this has been a busy week. Got a few calls and text, most coaches keep a short list. If you talk with 5 coaches, ask for their top 5, more often, you get 5 names in somewhat order. I know of 3 right off. One told me he would come to LSU in a heartbeat. Right now, LSU is a major step up from 99% of the schools. Ed likes input, from within his staff, the second thing, the right fit. 

• Like 1

Report: LSU assistant turns down offer from SEC West rival

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

DBU’s position coach is reportedly staying put.

AL.com’s Matt Zenitz reports that LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond turned down an offer from Texas A&M. Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher is looking to replace cornerbacks coach Maurice Linguist who left for a position with the Dallas Cowboys.

A former LSU standout who spent six years playing in the NFL, Raymond completed his eighth season with the Tigers in 2019. Widely regarded as one of top secondary coaches in the sport, Raymond turned down an offer from Georgia roughly a year ago.

LSU’s secondary has produced nine NFL Draft picks under Raymond, including Jamal Adams and Tre’Davious White, who were both selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. This season, LSU’s Grant Delpit won the Jim Thore Award for top defensive back in the country.

Sources: LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond has turned down a job offer from Texas A&M.

A&M had been targeting him for the opening on its staff created by cornerbacks coach Maurice Linguist leaving for a job with the Dallas Cowboys.

• Like 1