Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

O doesn’t mind getting input from coaches he knows and trusts. Remember who is on the staff, and who he has in a support staff. 

Many times a name won’t come out, that coach will notify family and friends, let the people within his circle know first. An agent is involved, now more than ever. 

Right now, LSU is the new kid on the block. The Big Kid. You go out to see if their is an interest, some coaches will notify their agent, the agent, then notifies the school. You may also need permission from a school. Too many things come into play. 

To iron out the details, this too plays a part. LSU most coaches have been treated more than fair. One I know, was paid a year after they were let go. He had another job, not paying a great salary, but the AD at LSU, continued checks into his account. One coach told me, never burn bridges, you may get a call from the same school, just a different coach. 

All too often, money is in the list, but not at the top. The folks I know, the wife and family come into play. Once you got the coach, the wife comes into play. Moving across states, schools, culture, too many things come into play. 

Many coaches kids I’ve seen grow up over the years, they like the wives, seem to fit in well. One kid, wanted to attend a school, this was one of her dad’s stops in the SEC. Three states over from where they were living. The moving part in a coaches family, that’s the only life they know. The wife keeps the family together, they have to. The husband is gone by 6, and back home after 10. They miss so much of their kids growing up. But the kids, most wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Friend just texted me and said don't be surprised if Bo Pelini is the next DC. Asked for a source and he said from a paid site. So TIFWIW.  I realize LSU's connection with BP, but does Coach O have any connection with him?  I'm not aware of any.  We will find out soon enough, friend says LSU has made an offer. Again, no idea if this is accurate.  I'm more than ready to find out who our DC is gonna be.

36 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Friend just texted me and said don't be surprised if Bo Pelini is the next DC. Asked for a source and he said from a paid site. So TIFWIW.  I realize LSU's connection with BP, but does Coach O have any connection with him?  I'm not aware of any.  We will find out soon enough, friend says LSU has made an offer. Again, no idea if this is accurate.  I'm more than ready to find out who our DC is gonna be.

Hint Pete Carroll. A little more than that. 

Edited by LSUDad

26 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

If it is BP, I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Haven't really kept up with him after he left Nebraska. I know he had a very volatile relationship with the admins there.  Don't think he ever won less than 9 games there.

Never won less than 9, every year, 4 losses. Nebraska never recovered after Bo left. 

• Like 1

Lots of names out there.

Wonder if we sent an inquiry to Bud Foster's agent. You might recall that Foster was the presumed heir apparent to Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech, but he was passed over in favor of Fuentes a few years back. Bud worked for the remainder of his contract then "retired".

He's been the HC at Youngstown State, a FCS school for the past five years where he compiled a record of 33 - 28.  Not an impressive record which suggests to me why he hasn't moved on to a better position.  That and he's a jerk both on & off the field.  O can do a lot better than Pelini.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, COTiger said:

He's been the HC at Youngstown State, a FCS school for the past five years where he compiled a record of 33 - 28.  Not an impressive record which suggests to me why he hasn't moved on to a better position.  That and he's a jerk both on & off the field.  O can do a lot better than Pelini.  

well we’re not hiring him to be HC of an FCS school, so his record at that position isn’t that crucial to me. 

we’re hiring him to be a DC. a position at which he has a VERY good track record.

Bob Stoops and Les Miles both kept his attitude in check. I’m sure O could too.

and just for the record, he had a pretty good record as HC at Nebraska. Won 9+ games every single year, won division 3 times in 7 years. They have had ZERO winning seasons in the 5 years since he left.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

well we’re not hiring him to be HC of an FCS school, so his record at that position isn’t that crucial to me. 

we’re hiring him to be a DC. a position at which he has a VERY good track record.

Bob Stoops and Les Miles both kept his attitude in check. I’m sure O could too.

and just for the record, he had a pretty good record as HC at Nebraska. Won 9+ games every single year, won division 3 times in 7 years. They have had ZERO winning seasons in the 5 years since he left.

If he's that damn good, why hasn't he moved past Youngstown State?

2003 DC at Nebraska: 297.1 ypg 
2004 DC at Oklahoma: 299.1 ypg
2005 DC at LSU: 266.8 ypg
2006 DC at LSU: 242.7 ypg :shocked:
2007 DC at LSU: 288.7 ypg

Dave Aranda’s best year here (statistically): 314.4 ypg

since 2000, here are the only LSU defenses better than the worst defense Bo produced:

2003: 252 ypg
2004: 254.6 ypg
2011: 261.5 ypg

2 minutes ago, COTiger said:

If he's that damn good, why hasn't he moved past Youngstown State?

why was our current head coach unemployed and literally begging on local radio for a position coach spot on Miles’ staff? 

Maybe he hasn’t been approached for a coordinator position because he’s currently a HC. And not a lot of HC voluntarily take a demotion (even for more $). 

Maybe he enjoyed being out of the limelight at the lower division for a few years. 

Maybe Youngstown, OH being the town he was born and raised in kept him there. 

14 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

2003 DC at Nebraska: 297.1 ypg 
2004 DC at Oklahoma: 299.1 ypg
2005 DC at LSU: 266.8 ypg
2006 DC at LSU: 242.7 ypg :shocked:
2007 DC at LSU: 288.7 ypg

Dave Aranda’s best year here (statistically): 314.4 ypg

since 2000, here are the only LSU defenses better than the worst defense Bo produced:

2003: 252 ypg
2004: 254.6 ypg
2011: 261.5 ypg

Today's offenses are drastically different than they were in the early 2000s.

19 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Today's offenses are drastically different than they were in the early 2000s.

That’s actually a myth

The passing TD record Joe Broke this year was set in 2006

The NCAA passing yardage record he broke was set in ‘98

The NCAA total yardage record he broke was set in 2003

Bo has a front 7 that puts pressure on a QB, gang tackling, both of which, have been missing since he left. Yes his off the field is a lot off from Amanda. Chief was a great DC when he had the players, but he hated to recruit. Off the field, I could tell you where he was eating every weekday, show me a lunch special, you’d see chief. 

To mesh Bo and Canada together, far from it. Canada would make his game plan, not allowing any input from the staff. Would not acknowledge Steve. 

Bo knows what he’s doing. He puts pressure on a QB, he highlights his players strong points. He has so much to work with at LSU. Look at his numbers at LSU, hard to dispute. 

If folks remember the 2005 Peach Bowl Vs Miami. Many of the team got into a spar with Miami at the 50 yard line before the game during warmups. Bo got into it with one of the Miami coaches. After going back into the dressing room, before kickoff. Bo went on a tantrum, told the team, those SOB’s will not get into our end zone. They didn’t, in fact, after their field goal in the first quarter, they never scored a point in the final 3 quarters. Their total offense was 153 yards. We had 468 total yards. A game that was never close. Bo has fun with his player, allows them to shine. 

O could do a lot worse. 

• Like 2