Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

57 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Then why haven't big time schools that have had DC vacancies come knocking on his door the past five years?

Because Nebraska was paying him $150,000 per MONTH along with the $214,000/ year from Youngstown St... right there at home while his daughter was in high school. (He's from there)

So there ya go

45 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Because Nebraska was paying him $150,000 per MONTH along with the $214,000/ year from Youngstown St... right there at home while his daughter was in high school. (He's from there)

So there ya go

The way those buyout agreement are usually worded, if you have a smart attorney and most universities can come up with one, you must be actively seeking a job commensurate with your ability.  You can't just camp out on a low ball job and collect the money.  They could and should ask you each year, what jobs have you applied for, what jobs have you interviewed for?

I think LSU questioned Les Miles, was he pursuing head coaching opportunities when he was announcing.

Pelini collected his last monthly check from Neb. in Feb. 2019, after he collected $6.5 million.  Maybe he has enough money and he can just do whatever he wants to?

Arkansas has stopped paying Bielema for taking a lowball paying job.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-arkansas-has-stopped-paying-bielemas-buyout/ar-AAJmIPc

8 hours ago, houtiger said:

The way those buyout agreement are usually worded, if you have a smart attorney and most universities can come up with one, you must be actively seeking a job commensurate with your ability.  You can't just camp out on a low ball job and collect the money.  They could and should ask you each year, what jobs have you applied for, what jobs have you interviewed for?

I think LSU questioned Les Miles, was he pursuing head coaching opportunities when he was announcing.

Pelini collected his last monthly check from Neb. in Feb. 2019, after he collected $6.5 million.  Maybe he has enough money and he can just do whatever he wants to?

Arkansas has stopped paying Bielema for taking a lowball paying job.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-arkansas-has-stopped-paying-bielemas-buyout/ar-AAJmIPc

When you never win fewer than 9 games/year and get fired, you kinda get some lee way.

8 hours ago, houtiger said:

Bielema took an NFL job that literally paid him less than the average garbage man makes. 

Seriously. That’s how low his salary was.  Less than $50k a year. In the NFL.

THAT is intentionally trying to shaft your former employer. Contracts typically state you must make “a good faith effort” to find comparable job/pay.   I didn’t even go to law school and could win that law suit, because there was nothing good faith about Bert’s employment and salary. 

10 hours ago, COTiger said:

Then why haven't big time schools that have had DC vacancies come knocking on his door the past five years?

do you know for a fact they haven’t?
just because he never left, doesn’t mean no one came calling.  i admit i pay ZERO attention to coordinator hire/interview rumors that do not directly affect LSU. So i don’t know one way or another if he has been a candidate elsewhere.

he was at home (as in the actual town he grew up in), watching his kids graduate, and making pretty good money from two schools.  AND had nowhere near the pressure he would have had a big time gig. 

Brady, are you going to be at LSU next season, “Absolutely!”

Right now Bo is the coach, he’s recruiting, he has to sign a class, he wants his brother to take over the HC job. Bo hasn’t talked with LSU, but his agent might have. 

Ive told this story before, Jimbo had the MooU job before Croom. He had 3 days to decide, he asked a coach we both know how was working in Starkvegas? My friend said, you’ll make it, but the wife will hate it. My friend also said, if you are offering me a job, I have to pass, my wife would kill me. Jimbo passed, they hired Croom. In the business, the school went a different direction, a school doesn’t want it known, a coach turned them down. 
Jimbo knows, he has to fill a staff. Gonna be hard when the first guy you talk with, turns you down. 

At times when getting a coach, some of it is on his terms. We’ll see how this one plays out. 

There is some interest on both sides with the Bo talk, they have kept somewhat quiet. I have gotten a few names. But then again, I’m still enjoying the Clemson win. Haven’t got off that high just yet. 

• Like 2

I still think the hire will be someone whose name is familiar but we'll all have to Google to see what his record/qualifications are.

I also would not be surpised to see someone getting hired through the Pete Jenkins connection/coaching tree.

Another LSU staffer is reportedly on the move. AL.com’s Matt Zenitz is reporting that Vanderbilt is expected to hire LSU analyst Kenechi Udeze.

Udeze, 36, is a former USC defensive lineman and played in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings until 2008 when he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He got into coaching in 2009, starting as an assistant strength and condition coach at Washington.

00:05

Udeze’s most recent on-field coaching job was as defensive line coach at Southern Cal from 2016-18. He joined LSU staff ahead of the 2019 season as an analyst, reuniting with his former position coach at USC, Ed Orgeron.

Notable staff departures for LSU since winning the national championship game have included defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, passing game coordinator Joe Brady and graduate assistant John DeCoster.

Sources: Vanderbilt is expected to hire LSU analyst Kenechi Udeze as an assistant coach.

Former NFL defensive lineman who was USC’s defensive line coach from 2016-18.

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Another LSU staffer is reportedly on the move. AL.com’s Matt Zenitz is reporting that Vanderbilt is expected to hire LSU analyst Kenechi Udeze.

Udeze, 36, is a former USC defensive lineman and played in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings until 2008 when he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He got into coaching in 2009, starting as an assistant strength and condition coach at Washington.

00:05

Udeze’s most recent on-field coaching job was as defensive line coach at Southern Cal from 2016-18. He joined LSU staff ahead of the 2019 season as an analyst, reuniting with his former position coach at USC, Ed Orgeron.

Notable staff departures for LSU since winning the national championship game have included defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, passing game coordinator Joe Brady and graduate assistant John DeCoster.

Sources: Vanderbilt is expected to hire LSU analyst Kenechi Udeze as an assistant coach.

Former NFL defensive lineman who was USC’s defensive line coach from 2016-18.

IIRC, Udeze was who O tabbed to replace DJ after his injury, and that didn't work out or last very long.  

Bo Pelini UDATE:

On Monday, we reported that LSU has been vetting Youngstown State head coach Bo Pelini for their open defensive coordinator position and that he is considered a strong candidate for the job. At the same time, we noted Kris Richard and others have been in the mix as well. LSU also has a stockpile of more than capable coaches on staff already.

Pelini, sources tell FootballScoop, was willing to consider the possibility but also had both family and “football family” concerns that would have to be overcome before making a move. Pelini’s youngest daughter, we’re told, is in her junior year of high school and Bo would prefer to allow her to finish high school in Youngstown before moving. Furthermore, as we reported yesterday, Bo would want assurances from Youngstown that his brother Carl, and the rest of his staff, would be retainedFor the same reasons, Pelini has turned down at least one NFL defensive coordinator offer in order to remain at Youngstown, sources tell FootballScoop.

Last night, sources at LSU confirmed their belief he remains a candidate; however, Bo might have made his decision.

https://footballscoop.com/news/an-update-on-bo-pelini/

I'm thinking if there ever was a Bo Pelini ship to LSU it has already sailed.  To me we'd know something more concrete by now.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

From DandyDon today.  Not sure if it means anything but Coach O definitely is familiar with Bo Pelini:

Asked specifically about Bo Pelini as a candidate, Orgeron said: “Obviously, there are a lot of guys that will be top candidates. I don’t want to say nothing yet until we finalize any deal with anybody. Obviously, Bo is somebody that I know very well and have high respect for. He’s a great defensive coordinator. He did a great job at LSU.”