Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

3 hours ago, Herb said:

Baylor is a private university with a ton of money. I don't think there is necessarily a "step down" in pay for Thomas.

Thomas has been there with Jimbo since he arrived. Sometimes you move to pad your resume, sometimes other reasons. 

I enjoy games at Baylor, it’s only about 2 hours from my house. A fairly new stadium. I’ve made a number of games there. A shopping and bar area, less than a mile from the stadium, follow a river walk to the stadium, cross a footbridge into the stadium. 

A free Saturday, and I could make a drive up to see a game. 

7 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Who is the most trusted coach on the staff, who does O trust more? I’m going with within the staff, Steve Ensminger. Bo was the DC at LSU from 2005-2007. Where was Steve during that time, in the SEC, working at Auburn. Steve held these jobs, TE, OC and QB’s coach from 2003-2008. So Steve knew what Bo does. 

When I first got with someone outside the staff, but hewas getting the same info, I was getting. His reply, thosetwo would clash. 

Above is from your post in the bo pellini thread guess i posted my question to you in wrong thread

51 minutes ago, Eq4bits said:

Above is from your post in the bo pellini thread guess i posted my question to you in wrong thread

Those two clashing, was his thoughts on O and Bo. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The guy making this statement, that was his view. I know Bo and O would be good, Bo wants the same thing O wants in a defense. 

Every former Tiger that played under Bo, loves his type of defense. The ones I know, love his return. 

As to some wondering if Bo has kept up with offenses. As a coach, you never stop doing what you know. 

Bill Snyder retired, K St never recovered, he returned, started back winning again. Bill never lost it, even at his age. Bill asked a friend of mine to return with him to K St, Bills offer, a HCIW. But my friend passed on the job. 

A couple names have come up for the opening on the offensive side of the ball. O is handling this hire very well. I like the direction as to who he’s interviewing.

With the recent hirings within the SEC, we have to keep up. If he should happen to get either one, it would be an upgrade. 

Like I said in an earlier post, the hire tells you the direction we are heading, how much of a change in the offense we will see. Still early in the process. But the folks that have put their names into the hat, I like. What LSU is paying, having a true AD overseeing the operation, makes the job more appealing. 

Remember, QB development is key. 

GEAUX TIGERS. 

Edited by LSUDad

2 hours ago, cul2969 said:

Is that a subtle hint that the Joe Lombardi rumors are true? If so, that would one heck of a get by Coach O.

That is one, but another name might be as good or a better catch. Once the job is taken, I’ll post a few videos that I’ve looked over. Give a little more insight into the coach. Some talk Lombardi won’t leave till Drew leaves. But might just be that, talk. 

O has gotten some good names in the hat. 

A little old news. 

Lane Kiffin confirms LSU football related rumor from 2016

Current Ole Piss head coach Lane Kiffin almost ended up in Baton Rouge in 2016.

For the last several years, there have been rumors/rumblings that Lane Kiffin was set to become Ed Orgeron’s offensive coordinator at LSU in 2016.

But there had never been any confirmation of that rumor.

Until this week.

1.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=169&width=300

Kiffin, in an interview with Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger, said he had an agreement with then LSU athletic director Joe Alleva that he would become the Tigers’ offensive coordinator on two conditions.

If Coach O was promoted to the full time head coach and as long as Kiffin didn’t receive an opportunity to become a head coach.

Of course, it wasn’t long after making that promise that Kiffin, who was serving as Alabama’s offensive coordinator at the time, agreed to become the head coach at Florida Atlantic. After being hired by FAU, Kiffin famously coached Alabama’s offense in the first game of the College Football Playoff, and then was “fired” by Nick Saban before the championship game against Clemson (which Alabama lost).

(Lane Kiffin in Baton Rouge would’ve been fun.)

Buy Now!

This wasn’t the first time, by the way, that Kiffin almost took a job as Orgeron’s offensive coordinator.

Coach O tried to bring Kiffin with him to Oxford in late 2004 when he took over as the Rebels’ head coach. Kiffin was serving as USC’s wide receivers coach at the time. He told Sports Illustrated that his wife (now ex-wife) didn’t want to move from Los Angeles to Oxford. Kiffin ended up staying at USC and was promoted to passing game coordinator/offensive coordinator.

Kiffin and Orgeron eventually worked together again at Tennessee and USC.

It’s funny how things work out, though. Kiffin and Orgeron have remained good friends over the years and now they’ll get to face each other on a yearly basis in the SEC West.

Report: LSU hiring FCS offensive coordinator as analyst

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

The offseason coaching carousel saw LSU lose various assistants from both the on-field and off-field staffs. SEC Network analyst Cole Cubelic is reporting that the Tigers are bringing in an FCS offensive coordinator as a new off-field analyst.

Per Cubelic, LSU has hired Samford offensive coordinator Russ Callaway as a senior offensive analyst. Callaway was on the Samford staff for five seasons (2015-19) including the last four as the team’s offensive coordinator.

Callaway has some previous SEC coaching experience as an analyst. Before his two seasons at Murray State (2013-14), Callaway was a defensive analyst at Alabama during the Crimson Tide’s back-to-back national championship wins in 2011 and ’12.

Callaway also served as Samford’s quarterbacks coach. In 2018, Bulldogs QB Devin Hodges earned the Walter Payton Award for the top offensive player in all of FCS football. That season, Hodges set a school record with 4,283 yards. A three-time SoCon Offensive Player of the Year and All-American, Hodges passed for an FCS-record 14,584 yards in his career, breaking the old record set by Steve McNair.

At the time of publishing, Callaway still lists himself as “Samford University OC/QB” on his Twitter account, using Samford photos for his profile and header images.

LSU has hired @SamfordFootball offensive coordinator @russcallaway as a senior offensive analyst.

Report: Youngstown State staffer following Bo Pelini to LSU

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

Bo Pelini is back at LSU to coach the Tigers defense. It only makes sense he’ll have his right-hand man on staff in Baton Rouge.

FootballScoop is reporting that Youngstown State defensive coordinator Donald D’Alesio will join the LSU staff as a defensive analyst. D’Alesio played at Youngstown State from 2010-14 and then joined the program’s coaching staff in 2016.

D’Alesio also coached the team’s defensive line while holding the coordinator title. Per his Youngstown State bio,  D’Alesio had two standout defensive ends in NFL Draft picks Derek Rivers and Avery Moss in 2016. Rivers was drafted in the third round of the NFL Draft by the New England Patriots with the No. 83 overall pick while Moss was selected in the fifth round by the New York Giants as pick No. 167. Both players were first-team All-MVFC selections.

This past season, D’Alesio-coached Youngstown State defensive end Justus Reed earned first-team All-MVFC honors while Ma’lik Richmond was a second-team selection. Reed was returning from an injury that forced him to miss the 2018  season. He bounced back to have the best year of his career, finishing with 42 total stops with an impressive 19 TFLs and 13 sacks. He was the first YSU defensive player to earn first-team all-league honors since Rivers in 2016.

Reports: LSU coach Ed Orgeron adding analysts Russ Callaway, Donald D'Alesio to football staff

cfpchamppresser.011520 HS 049.JPG
LSU head coach Ed Orgeron speaks Tuesday, January 14, 2020, during the champions press conference following LSU's 42-25 win over Clemson in the National Championship in New Orleans, La. STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Feb 2, 2020 - 6:09 pm

LSU coach Ed Orgeron has added two analysts to his coaching staff, according to multiple reports.

The additions include Samford offensive coordinator Russ Callaway and Youngstown State defensive coordinator Donald D'Alesio, and the newest members of LSU's coaching staff come after multiple former analysts left for other full-time coaching positions.

RELATED

Callaway is joining LSU, SEC analyst Cole Cubelic reported, after five seasons at Samford, where he spent his first two seasons as the team's receivers coach. Under Callaway, quarterback Devlin Hodges set a school record 4,283 yards in 2018, and when Hodges also won the Walter Payton Award for top offensive player in FCS football.

In 2019, Samford ranked 28th nationally in scoring offense (32.3 points per game) and 44th nationally in total offense (403.7 yards per game).

Loading video

D'Alesio heads to Baton Rouge, according to FootballScoop, after spending five seasons on staff at Youngstown State. He began as a defensive quality control coach in 2015, under then head coach Bo Pelini, who was hired last week as LSU's new defensive coordinator. He was elevated to defensive line coach in 2016, and he has been the defensive coordinator for the past three seasons.

Orgeron, who has placed a high value on his analyst staff, has begun to replace the analysts who were a part of the 2019 national championship.

Joe Burrow from the Super Bowl in Miami: On how he wound up at LSU, his confidence, more

The analyst departures include former offensive analysts Jorge Munoz (Baylor), Blaine Gautier (McNeese State), plus defensive analysts Dennis Johnson (Baylor), Kenechi Udeze (Vanderbilt) and Ronnie Wheat (Nevada).

Former graduate assistant John Decoster also left LSU to be a full-time tight ends coach at Old Dominion.

Browns quality control coach Tyler Tettleton leaving for LSU

Another member of the Freddie Kitchens coaching staff is moving on from his Browns experience. Offensive quality control coach Tyler Tettleton is heading to the college ranks after his one season in Cleveland.

Tettleton will join the coaching staff under Ed Orgeron at LSU as an offensive assistant. The exact role is not yet specified, as reported by FOX’s Bruce Feldman.

The former Ohio University quarterback worked on the offensive staff under Kitchens after being a scout for the New York Jets for one season. He heads to LSU to join the national champs and help advance his coaching career. Tettleton was not retained by new Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski.

To shed a little light on the analyst departures. Before analyst, when a coordinator took a head coaching job at another school, often, he was given a total amount for coordinators and position coaches. Once coordinators were hired, then position coaches, what was left, he often hired a GA, most times a GA that was with him at his previous school. A GA that knew the system. Someone he had worked with before. With analyst, you can pick up someone a little higher up the totem pole, so to speak. Years ago you had GA’s and INTERNS. 

To go into more detail, a new Head Coach, may also dip into the High School ranks, for a position coach. Aranda did this a Baylor. It does a couple things, that high school coach, more times, is well respected, knows the recruiting areas, can get the Head Coach into a high school easier. Arnsparger when hired years ago, hired Jessie Daigle as his RB coach, gave Bill a upper hand into the La schools. 

The hires O is using to replace these positions, all seem to be a step up in the staff. When you read the resumes, who they worked under, with, and who they coached, you see why they were hired by O. 

Often in sports, the words Coaching Tree is used, meaning, coaches whom someone has worked under. Since last nights Super Bowl win, let’s look into the winning coaches Coaching Tree...

Edited by LSUDad

2 hours ago, Herb said:

There have been some articles that detailed Brady's duties as helping coach WRs as well.

Sure he helped. But Joseph just turned down Nebraska (his alma mater) for what would've been a promotion to stay at LSU as wide receivers coach. I think we should give him his due respect lol. 

• Like 1