Gameday Tigers

Coach O, How Good Was This Year?

LSUDad

Good speech, y'all listen. 

I am definitely still in "enjoying the championship" mode.  I think I'll stay this way until fall camp starts.

My eye is now on Feb. 5th, signing day.  I hope O can get us some good players that day.  I think we've got 6 spots left, and I've seen 2 verbal commitments.  That leaves 4.  Geaux Tigers!

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 3

corseaux.jpg

AMERICA’S TEAM: National Love For LSU Reaches Unprecedented Heights

JANUARY 24, 2020

America loves a great story. And America loved LSU.

The proof is in the numbers.

It is one thing to purchase exposure for a football program. It is another thing entirely to reap its benefits for free.

The state’s flagship university, according to analytics firm Joyce Julius and Associates, reportedly earned $200 million in free advertising during the national title run, being mentioned 150,061 times across TV, internet, and print media from December 1 through January 21.

In that time period, LSU was busy beating three top-4 teams in Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson to finish the first 15-0 season for an SEC program.

“It was the perfect storm of exposure for LSU football from the SEC Championship game through the Heisman Trophy ceremony and all the way up and beyond the National Championship Game, ending at the White House.  Those are some premier events all generating major national coverage.”

Also in early December, another firm concluded that the LSU football team was the most talked about group in the country.

LSU typically seems to be a well-liked team in the media. ESPN Gameday personality Lee Corso picked them to win all five times the Tigers were featured in his headgear-of-the-week pick.

ESPN colleague Rece Davis called LSU’s season the greatest in the history of the sport. ESPN’s Mike Greenberg seconded that argument in convincing fashion in a video posted on Twitter.

And of course, Scott Van Pelt simply loves LSU.

LSU won a national championship, and is now seeing that it was not just a regional victory, not just a perfect season enjoyed by Tiger or SEC fans. The popularity of LSU football has never been higher, and I would like to think it is because of a combination of its explosive abilities on both sides of the ball–and its cast of characters that all reached their pinnacle at the same time in one perfect, shining moment.

2019 LSU was an American story. That is why America loved these Tigers. And they did since the Alabama game. Maybe even the Texas game.

We could go on and on about all the underdogs on this team, the players who overcame athletic adversity in the years leading up to this fairy tale, storybook finish. Much has been documented on the stories of Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Joe Burrow.

But this story, this American tale, starts at the top with head coach Ed Orgeron. He has been teased because of his accent and cast off time and time again by other programs who felt they could do better. He was always the butt of the joke, not the respected general who has brought a title to Baton Rouge.

Now he’s the one laughing.

His redemption story is a microcosm of them all. It is representative of so much that was good on that Tiger football team this past fall. It is representative of the second chance, the underdog, the kicked out puppy dog waiting for a bone in the rain.

And America loves the second chance.

They love the fighter who comes back again and again. It is why we love Rocky. It is why we love Cinderella Man. It is why we love Rudy.

The numbers don’t lie.

It is why America loved LSU this past fall. And why this past season will be hard-pressed to ever be repeated again.

• Like 1

The 2001 Miami team is admired because they also put so many highly successful pros in the league and some of them went into the pro hall of fame.  One announcer said, yes, but they were not all seniors, so it took 20 years to find out what they really had done.  He said come back and compare them in 20 years, after Stingley, Burrow, Delpit are finished their pro careers.  He's got an interesting point.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

The 2001 Miami team is admired because they also put so many highly successful pros in the league and some of them went into the pro hall of fame.  One announcer said, yes, but they were not all seniors, so it took 20 years to find out what they really had done.  He said come back and compare them in 20 years, after Stingley, Burrow, Delpit are finished their pro careers.  He's got an interesting point.

i said the same thing in the podcast. 

we need a lot more time before we can accurately compare these two teams. 

i’ll have to find that Miami roster for those two seasons (2000 & 2001) again. It was ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i’ll have to find that Miami roster for those two seasons (2000 & 2001) again. It was ridiculous. 

Running backs
Clinton Portis
Najeh Davenport
Willis Magahee
Frank Gore

Wide Receivers
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
Reggie Wayne 

Tight End
Jeremy Shockey
Kellen Winslow

O-Line
Jerome McDougle
Bryan McKinnie

D-Line
Vince Wilfork

Linebackers
Jonathan Vilma
DJ Williams

DB
Phillip Buchanan
Ed Reed
Antrelle Rolle

That roster is just absurd how much high end NFL talent they had.

I mean this isn’t just guys that made it to the league. These were stars in the NFL.  Multiple Hall of Famers even.

• Like 2

Column: LSU can now claim the ultimate record- the best of all time

LSU Defeats Clemson

LSU senior quarterback Joe Burrow (9) arrives on January 13, 2020 before LSU's 42-25 win against Clemson in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Abby Kibler

Sometimes everything falls into place.

Sometimes you can look at the puzzle pieces on the ground and instantly make the image on the box.

The accumulation of this LSU football team is exactly that; as they built a perfect storm which resulted in the first SEC team to finish 15-0 and defeat the Clemson Tigers (14-1, Atlantic Coast Conference).

We can all say that we saw it coming, but the future prediction could not possibly prepare for the feeling that came when Joe Burrow kneeled the ball with 50 seconds left to secure the National Championship.

Nothing could prepare Tiger fans for that moment.

Coming back after a 10-win season with a coach and a quarterback that no one wanted made the win that much sweeter.

Not only did the duo of Ed Orgeron and Burrow defeat a team that was boasting a 29-game win streak, they defeated Clemson 42-25 against the projected first overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft in Trevor Lawrence.

Even with these accomplishments, the win cemented one thing: the 2019 LSU Tigers are the best college football team to ever play the game.

A bold statement but there has never been a team like this one.

To start, LSU swept every major award by winning the Heisman, multiple Coach of the Year awards, the Biletnikoff for the nation’s best wide receiver and the nation’s best assistant coach.

With all these talented players, this offense delivered the most explosive season of all time, scoring the most points in the AP era with 726, including a whopping 95 touchdowns.

The biggest contributor had the best season for an offensive player in NCAA history, and it was not even close.

Burrow finished the season with the most passing touchdowns in a season with 60 while only throwing six interceptions. In addition to the passing touchdowns, he also ran for five more which gives him the record for most touchdowns responsible for in a season.

Burrow will also go down as the second most accurate passer ever with a completion percentage of 76.3. Just missing a record he held all season.

Burrow will be the first one to tell you he could not do this alone, though his scrambling magic might give you the illusion that he can. He said in a podcast that he could have thrown the ball with his eyes closed and his receivers would go and get it.

The championship game illustrates this point exactly as Ja’Marr Chase seemed to always be one step ahead of the opposing defense.

The Biletnikoff winner caught nine passes for 221 yards and two touchdowns to help LSU secure their fourth title.

The crazy part is, that it’s not that outrageous of a day for a man who averaged 21.2 yards a catch. This was just another day at the office for him.

Chase carried the load in the Superdome, but another receiver stepped up in Atlanta against Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl and deserves to be mentioned as to why this offense will never be forgotten.

Justin Jefferson quietly had one of the best seasons as a wide receiver as he hauled in an NCAA-leading 111 passes and came in second in touchdowns with 18. Only behind fellow Tiger Chase.

Jefferson played when the lights were brightest and did exactly what was needed in the slot. No other game demonstrates this like the Peach Bowl against Oklahoma where he always seemed to be in the end zone.

He finished that day with fourteen catches for 227 yards and — this is not a typo — four touchdowns which included some tough grabs in tight coverage.

While he did not win the best receiver in the nation, he deserves every part of that championship ring and adds to the greatest team to ever touch a college football.

Lastly, the two most underrated factors contributed to the undeniable success of the Tiger offense: the offensive line and running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

The offensive line was awarded with the Joe Moore Award for the nation’s best, and they constantly gave Burrow time to find any route available.

Most importantly, they allowed LSU to become balanced by making easy running lanes for the hard-nose running of Edwards-Helaire, who won the award for best all-around player.

Add in a defense consisting of All-American Derek Stingley Jr. and the rest of the defensive cast that includes Kristian Fulton, Grant Delpit and JaCoby Stevens, and you get a perfect storm that comes once in a lifetime

Yes, most of these names are leaving for the NFL and two of LSU’s best assistant coaches — defensive coordinator Dave Aranda and passing game coordinator Joe Brady — will be moving on to other jobs; but that does not matter.

If you see anyone from this team, look them in the eyes and shake their hands because they supplied the best team ever and one that will not be topped for the foreseeable future.

As long as Coach Orgeron is still around, maybe lighting will strike twice, but until then, enjoy living in a time where LSU is the best college football team ever.

From Ron Higgins: 

One more LSU national championship fact I researched.
With LSU winning the 2019 national championship, it became just the second college football program since the inception of the first wire service poll in 1933 to hire three consecutive coaches who won national championships (AP, UPI, Coaches Poll, BCS, CFP). LSU's Nick Saban, Les Miles and Ed Orgeron joins Miami's Howard Schellenberger, Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson.

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

From Ron Higgins: 

One more LSU national championship fact I researched.
With LSU winning the 2019 national championship, it became just the second college football program since the inception of the first wire service poll in 1933 to hire three consecutive coaches who won national championships (AP, UPI, Coaches Poll, BCS, CFP). LSU's Nick Saban, Les Miles and Ed Orgeron joins Miami's Howard Schellenberger, Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson.

:classic_ninja:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eq4bits said:

My friends, my sister & her family (all die hard UGA fans) have all told me (even after the SECCG) that they ‘adore Coach Orgeron’.

Most of the folks I came in contact with before the game really thought UGA would  win. This was in Ga, their fans. After, there was a bigger hate. The last two years, we haven’t been kind to them. I told some of them after the game, if they continue with that offense, their troubles would continue. I said they need and will make changes. They have, but Smart is still Kirby. 

UGA has an arrogant fan base.  Friend brought this UGA fan to my tailgate (for the whoooooole) day in '03. I promise I would NEVER but she talked so much sh*t, I wanted to punch her in the mouth. Fast forward to after the game, you all know the result. Sorest loser I have EVER met, man we blasted her. She finally just left. If you gonna talk sh*t your team better back you up.

• Haha 2