Gameday Tigers

What does the "modern era" of football mean?

Herb

You've likely heard and read a lot lately the term "modern era of football". Building up to LSU's national championship win, it seemed like every other pundit was dropping the term as though there is some distinct point in time that separates the "modern era" from some former or archaic era of football.

So...what is that point of demarcation that seperates the prehistoric era of football from the modern era?

It turns out that the definition of when the modern era begins depends on who you ask.

For discussion purposes, here are some of the significant timelines on the evolution of football as we know it. When possible, I am going to try to keep the discussion skewed to NCAA football, but keep in mind that innovations and changes in professional football often quickly find their way into college football and vice versa.

• 1906  -  the 1st forward pass is thrown in a college game (Bradbury Robinson was the QB for St. Louis University vs Carrol College)
  • 1912  -  Current scoring system established (minus 2-point conversion)
  • 1936  -  AP poll begins
  • 1939  -  First televised football game (Fordham vs Waynesburg)
  • 1949  -  NFL requires plastic helmets, marking the end of the "leather helmet era" 
  • 1950  -  Beginning of the Coaches Poll
  • 1965  -  AP final poll switches to after bowl games which made bowl games count for National Championship consideration
  • 1973  -  105 scholorship limit imposed marking the start of the parity rules for the NCAA
  • 1974  -  Final coaches poll moved to after bowl games
  • 1978  -  NCAA splits into two divisions: Div 1-A and Dev 1-AA, which later becomes FBS/FCS
  • 1978 -  Scholorship limit lowered to 95
  • 1982  -  End of transiti0n for teams between Div 1-A and Div 1-AA
  • 1982  -  Independence Bowl becomes 1st college football game broadcast live on ESPN
  • 1984  -  Landmark court case:  NCAA vs Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma
  • 1992  -  Scholorship limit lowered to 85
  • 1992  -  Beginning of Bowl Coalition
  • 1992 -  First FBS Conference Championship Game
  • 1995  -  Bowl Alliance Begins (due to SWC collapse, ending the Bowl Coalition)
  • 1998  -  Beginning of the BCS
  • 2014  -  Beginning of the College Football Playoffs

(Happy to add other milestones as the discussion develops.)

Given all of that, when did the so-called "modern era" begin?

Because people like easy numbers, one could say the modern era began in about 1950 because the Coaches Poll came into being and the leather helmet era officially came to an end. The only problem there is that the final polls (both the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll) came out before the bowl games were even played. (Imagine if Alabama was named #1 in both polls and LSU crushed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl that year.)

Does the modern era begin in 1965, when polls started to move AFTER bowl games? Or 1975 when both polls are after the bowl games?

How about sometime in the early 1980? ESPN is up and running, the DIV 1-A/Div 1-AA split is wrapping up, scholorships are lowered to 95, the landmark Supreme Court case between the NCAA and universities ruled the NCAA TV rights rules violated antitrust laws, and SMU got the death nail...serious stuff defining how the NCAA could operate and what would fuel the growth of college football.

What about some time in the 1990s?  Scholorship limits are lowered to 85 to allow more schools to be competative, conference championship games start happening, national championships start getting determined by the victor of a game instead of by poll voters.

Or, does the modern era only begin with an actual playoff system where it is truly decided amongst an expanded number of teams that fight it out?

How would you define the "modern era" and when it begins?

48 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i’ve always heard the Modern era to be synonymous with the AP Poll era.  

The only problem I have with that is that when the AP poll began, they were still playing with leather helmets, there were only 4 bowl games in existence, the wishbone wasn't going to be invented for about another 20 years, and Texas A&M did not have female cheerleaders (oh, wait...).

Clearly the game now and the landscape of college football resembles little at all to that time.

Does that mean the people using the AP poll as a yardstick are using that in reference to how the champuionship was selected?

When I was hearing the term "modern era" with respect to LSU and Burrow, the implication of its use was to reference the records in a comparable form of play, conditioning, etc.,.  I think that is the typical connotation the term is generally used.

Having said that, to me there are 2 main factors that I think are pertinent: 1) the style of football played (which includes equipment, training, coaching, etc) and 2) the NCAA system itself (including the structural landscape of football seasons, bowl games, and playoff games as well as the "big business" that the NCAA has become - including the TV spectacle as we know it today.

@COTiger , I think you are right about a big part of it. But I think the other part of it is that the style of play kind of predates the rise of sports coverage on cable TV and the contract dollars that flow from that.

Ultimately, I'd have to say - for example - that Bert Jones and Joe Burrow belong in the same "modern era". Joe Burrow and Y.A. Tittle, probably not so much?

I can tell you that in the 1960's, they talked about the "modern era" of football also, so to them, and to me, I would start the modern era with the start of the AP Poll.  As Herb said, it has to do with many things.  Training is one of them.  Billy Cannon said weight lifting started for football players in the mid '50's under Fuzzy Brown at Istrouma High.  Paul Dietzel introduced platoon football at LSU, with the White Team, the Go Team and the Chinese Bandits.  Prior to that the starting 11 played both ways, so we got to the era of specialization.  Also, the emergence of the forward pass as an important part of the game marked the modern era.  Guys like Joe Namath at Alabama, Steve Spurrier at Florida and a host of others changed the face of the game.

• Like 1

After thinking about this for a bit, I think my timepoint of when the modern era of football begins - especially with respect to college football - starts in (somewhat arbitrarily) 1970.

My reasoning is this...up until the 1970s, there were only 9 bowl game (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Sun, Cotton, Gator, Citrus, Liberty, and Peach). During the 1970's, the number of bowl games jumped to 12 but that jump triggered the bowl expansion movement. The ones added in the 1970s were the Fiesta, Independence, and Holiday Bowls.

This made determination of a national champion much harder for poll voters and as more and more bowls got added in the 1980s and 1990s. As Bowls got added, so did the appetitte of the American public for more and more football.

The other big development in the 1970s were the emergences of the modern offenses - not only the increased use of passing attacks but also the emergence of the wishbone and 'option' offenses. (It pains me to describe the wishbone as a "modern" offense but these were brought into wide spread use by coaches like Darryl Royal and Bear Bryant and were dominant for the next couple of decades.)

The NFL was the cutting edge of passing attacks in the 1970s with Ernie Zampese, Don Corryell, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, John Madden and others creating what is generally considered modern passing attacks powered by QBs like Fran Tarkenton, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw, and others.

Perhaps the best point in time to define the "modern era" might be the AFL-NFL merger and the creation of the Super Bowl, which set the example for the NCAA to eventually follow of having a final game determine the championship.

That coincides somewhat with the changes in the NCAA in terms of bowl expansions, big TV contracts, the rise of conferences as power units, and NCAA football becoming the cash cow spectacle it is today.

5 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Its an arbitrary line almost regardless of where you draw it and dependent on how you define "modern era".  I'd say somewhere in the late 60's early 70's. 

5 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

the future?

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

Paleolithic???  I heard you could stay in school longer back then!

In the NFL, a former LSU QB. Y A Tittle, he started this in 1948. 

• Like 1

I meant no disrespect to Y.A Tittle at all.

Y.A. is a Tiger and NFL Legend.

I was using Y.A. Tittle and Bert Jones as a comparison of how the style of game changed between the 1940s and the 1970s.  In my mind, those are 2 completely different eras - especially for the NCAA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herb said:

I meant no disrespect to Y.A Tille at all.

Y.A. is a Tiger and NFL Legend.

I was using Y.A. Tittle and Bert Jones as a comparison of how the style of game changed between the 1940s and the 1970s.  In my mind, those are 2 completely different eras - especially for the NCAA.

No problem Herb. 

Yep, Bert having to split time at the QB position. I see and help Bert with his Cystic Fibrosis Golf Tournament every year. It’s great to see so many former Tigers and Pros  come in to help in this worthy cause. This year, Bert and I might talk a little too long about this past season. 

As for Tittle, I often say, he was the best player to come out of Marshall, Tx. As for the second best, my friend Phil Bennett, I give that honor. Phil has retired after spending time as the DC at Zona St, working with Herm Edwards. 

The third best to come out of Marshall, OBS, and I’ve told him this. Mike Archer signed him in the late 80’s. The next staff to come in, I was friends with a number of those coaches, and to this day, am still friends with a few, see some from time to time. As for the Sr to the Jr Beckham’s. Heather Van Norman had a lot to do with OBJ. More on this. 

https://richathletes.com/heather-van-norman-biography-age-facts-about-odell-beckham-jr-s-mother/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

well that’s cheating. 

we talking about college no way in hell i was gonna guess an NFL guy 

Well this thread went from IHS, high school football, college and Pro. 

To add when talking about IHS. Alvin Roy started the S&C phase in La. Roy was the first S&C Coach in the NFL. Roy was with the Chargers. Roy trained Gayle Hatch, who trained Tommy Moffitt. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up...this topic sprang from the question I had  immeiately after we beat Clemson and won the National Championship where I asked if any other team has ever won Notional Championships under 3 consecutive head coaches.

I went back and researched all NCAA football championships since 1960 and the answer to the question is that LSU stands alone in this accomplishment.

As I dig further back, exactly what a "national championship" is gets murkier with many teams being recognized as national champions by various organizations. 

Personally I could care less who won the Aunt Jemima Syrup national championship in any year.  IMHO, the ones that count are the NCAA Playoffs, BCS Championships, AP final poll, and the coaches final poll.  Any others are BS in my eyes.

So...having gone back to 1960 there have been zero other teams win the Division 1/FBS under 3 consecutive head coaches. I only stopped at 1960 because my wife and I had plans with friends and I did not go further back.

Take pride in your Tigers in that we have accomplished a feat no other team in the "modern era" has (or at least in 60+ years) and that includes the "blue blood" programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC, Miami (Fla), Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, or anyone else.

I don't see that being equaled anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, Herb said:

Just a heads up...this topic sprang from the question I had  immeiately after we beat Clemson and won the National Championship where I asked if any other team has ever won Notional Championships under 3 consecutive head coaches.

I went back and researched all NCAA football championships since 1960 and the answer to the question is that LSU stands alone in this accomplishment.

As I dig further back, exactly what a "national championship" is gets murkier with many teams being recognized as national champions by various organizations. 

Personally I could care less who won the Aunt Jemima Syrup national championship in any year.  IMHO, the ones that count are the NCAA Playoffs, BCS Championships, AP final poll, and the coaches final poll.  Any others are BS in my eyes.

So...having gone back to 1960 there have been zero other teams win the Division 1/FBS under 3 consecutive head coaches. I only stopped at 1960 because my wife and I had plans with friends and I did not go further back.

Take pride in your Tigers in that we have accomplished a feat no other team in the "modern era" has (or at least in 60+ years) and that includes the "blue blood" programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC, Miami (Fla), Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, or anyone else.

I don't see that being equaled anytime soon. 

Schnellenberger (‘83), Johnson (‘87), and Erickson (‘89 & ‘91) did it consecutively at Miami in the 80s. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Schnellenberger (‘83), Johnson (‘87), and Erickson (‘89 & ‘91) did it consecutively at Miami in the 80s. 

***Except for Miami...***  lol

Don't know how I missed Dennis Erikson...I swear I looked at Miami specifically 1st because they were the one I thought had done it. Must have been partying with him at the bar.

9 minutes ago, Herb said:

***Except for Miami...***  lol

Don't know how I missed Dennis Erikson...I swear I looked at Miami specifically 1st because they were the one I thought had done it. Must have been partying with him at the bar.

they came REALLY close to going 5 guys in a row. 

they should have gone in 2000, where i think they would have beat OU.  Which would have mad Butch Davis #4 in a row. 
Then Coker did win it in ‘01 which would have been 5. 

27 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

they came REALLY close to going 5 guys in a row. 

they should have gone in 2000, where i think they would have beat OU.  Which would have mad Butch Davis #4 in a row. 
Then Coker did win it in ‘01 which would have been 5. 

Was that before the pay for play scandal involving Nevin Shapiro?