Gameday Tigers

Myles Brennan, The Next QB Up

LSUDad

Meet Myles Brennan: Joe Burrow’s LSU quarterback successor

January 13, 2020 | 9:10pm | Updated 

NEW ORLEANS — LSU was never short on stars. They came from out wide and in the trenches and in the backfield. They seemingly came from everywhere but under center.

Since 1973, the Tigers have had only one quarterback taken in the first two rounds of the NFL draft. He — JaMarcus Russell — may be the biggest bust in NFL history, the first overall pick in 2007, who played his final game in 2009.

It felt like prohibition would come to Bourbon Street before a quarterback would come to LSU who could match the country’s best, who could lead the Tigers past Alabama and to a long-awaited national championship.

Even Joe Burrow didn’t seem to fit the bill. He arrived from Ohio State and spent his first unimpressive season completing 57.8 percent of his passes, while throwing 16 touchdowns and five interceptions. He followed with perhaps the greatest season ever authored by a college quarterback, winning the Heisman Trophy by the largest margin of victory ever, while leading LSU to its first national title game in eight years.

Come Tuesday, Burrow will never again wear purple-and-gold, likely to be the next first overall pick in the NFL draft.

Come next season, sophomore Myles Brennan will be tasked with replacing the greatest LSU quarterback of all time.

“I don’t think we’ll miss a beat,” the backup quarterback said this weekend. “Right when the season’s over, we’re gonna get to work. Joe will be gone and I want to take what he’s taught me and what I’ve learned from him and instill it in this team. I want to take over and be that guy. And I will be that guy, and play with that chip that he’s played with and do great things.”
Advertisement

By now, Brennan expected to have been leading the Tigers for two years. The four-star recruit from Mississippi was the favorite to be named starter in 2018, before Burrow came south with two years of eligibility remaining. Even shortly before that season began, the quarterback competition between Burrow and Brennan hadn’t produced a clear-cut victor.

“We’re still gonna let it play out until there’s a clear winner,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said then. “We have two weeks to look at what Joe can do, look what Myles can do.”

Two seasons later, Brennan is still waiting to showcase his skills. He took a redshirt last season, then appeared in 10 LSU blowouts this season.

Next season, Brennan will return with several key pieces from the nation’s highest-scoring offense, including Biletnikoff Award winner Ja’Marr Chase. Perhaps most importantly, program-changing passing game coordinator Joe Brady will be back with his spread offense, which catapulted Burrow from mediocre afterthought to unlikely legend.

Advertisement

“He’s brought the offense and our guys have bought in, and as a quarterback, if you don’t like playing in this offense then you’re in the wrong place,” Brennan said. “That’s what’s given us the extra leap this year. The biggest thing is getting the ball into our playmakers’ hands and letting them do something with it.”

It may be impossible for any LSU quarterback to match the standard set by Burrow. But it can’t be harder than waiting.

“It’s been difficult,” Brennan said. “I’ve tried using this opportunity to learn as much as I can, so I can be ready for the future.”

image.gif

• Like 1

Brennan has a bit more zip on his throws than Burrow.  The question will be accuracy, and more importantly, his smarts and ability to read the defense and know where he wants to go with the ball.  With Chase and Marshall returning, and they are bound to have one more damn good receiver out of the excellent recruiting classes the last 2 years, Brennan will have targets.  There may be a drop off with RB catching the ball, as CEH was excellent.  Our drop off could be from excellent to very good, or no drop off if we are lucky.  The RB should catch 10,000 balls this summer.  We should find a TE, even if we have to play the true freshman coming in.

Burrow basically majored in football his two years at LSU, having graduated from OSU.  He was working on his masters, and I think you just have to take 6 hours a semester to be a full time student in grad school.  He got his masters in two years, that takes about 30 hours.

Brennan will probably be taking 12 hours during the fall, minimum to be a full time student as an undergrad.  So, he won't have quite as much time as Joe did to study film.  Miles will have some rust on him, not having played much in 3 years, just like Joe his first year here.

It is not fair to expect the level of play we saw from Joe in his second year, from Miles in his first year as starter.  Let's give Miles a chance to develop. 

• Like 3

I don't think we'll see too much of a dropoff with Brennan. Especially if we stick with the same or a similar basic system. I don't see Ensminger drifting far from the offense we had last year, regardless of who is hired to replace Brady.

I don't exepect Brennan to be Burrow, I expect him to be Brennan.  This past season was a season for the ages and I don't think MB15 will equal that (but I'm willing to be proven wrong :LSU:).  What is NOT out of the realm of possibilities is that Brennan gets close to Burrow's 2 year average at LSU and if that happens, we're doing alright. I think that goal for Brennan is doable providing he stays healthy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herb said:

I don't think we'll see too much of a dropoff with Brennan. Especially if we stick with the same or a similar basic system. I don't see Ensminger drifting far from the offense we had last year, regardless of who is hired to replace Brady.

I don't exepect Brennan to be Burrow, I expect him to be Brennan.  This past season was a season for the ages and I don't think MB15 will equal that (but I'm willing to be proven wrong :LSU:).  What is NOT out of the realm of possibilities is that Brennan gets close to Burrow's 2 year average at LSU and if that happens, we're doing alright. I think that goal for Brennan is doable providing he stays healthy.

i guess that depends on what you consider “too much of a drop off” 

We also lose 4/5 on the o-line. Which may be as crucial as any other factor.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i guess that depends on what you consider “too much of a drop off” 

We also lose 4/5 on the o-line. Which may be as crucial as any other factor.  

Good point.

My overall thinking is that Burrow only had one season under the "new" offense and Brennan will have two. Given that I think Brennan can get close to Burrow's 2 year average.

But you're right, the OL is probably the biggest question mark going into next season. Ironically, it was the biggest worry going into 2019 also.

RE the O-line, yes we lose some "hosses" but we have a good amount of experience returning. Scott Long from today gives a pretty good analysis:

Left Tackle:

51 Dare Rosenthal 6-7, 314, SO
65 Jackori Savage 6-6, 294, SR
61 Cameron Wire 6-6, 300, SO
Marcus Dumervil 6-5, 305, FR

Left Guard:

58 Kardell Thomas 6-3, 329, RSFR
or 75 Anthony Bradford 6-7, 355, SO

Center:

57 Chasen Hines 6-3, 336, JR
69 Charles Turner 6-4, 266, SO
Marlon Martinez 6-4, 287, FR

Right Guard:

70 Ed Ingram 6-4, 295, JR
71 Donavaughn Campbell 6-5, 360, SR
Xavier Hill 6-3, 325, FR

Right Tackle:

76 Austin Deculus 6-7, 322, SR
78 Thomas Perry 6-6, 341, RSFR

LSU loses four of five starters on the offensive line (LT Saahdiq Charles, LG Adrian Magee, C Lloyd Cushenberry, and RG Damien Lewis). That sounds devastating until you consider who all is coming back. Starter Austin Deculus returns at right tackle and three of the other projected starters saw a lot of significant playing time. Dare Rosenthal is very talented and gained experience with three starts last year. Ed Ingram started 12 games as a true freshman in 2017 before missing the 2018 season, and then played in ten games last season including two starts. And really, “two starts” is a bit misleading since Ingram played a large number of snaps in several other games. Where LSU lacks experience is at left guard, but there’s no lack of talent there. We anticipate a battle of true freshmen Anthony Bradford and Kardell Thomas for that role, which will be something to watch this spring.

One thing you have to factor into this year's  o-line success is Joe's ability to move around in the pocket and take off and run.  This helps out an o-line tremendously and what separates him from other QBs like a Mettenberger.   I'm not sure Brennan is going to be as mobile as Joe but from what we've seen, I think he will move around more than Mett.

And f! it anyway  WE ARE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS :LSU:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

RE the O-line, yes we lose some "hosses" but we have a good amount of experience returning. Scott Long from today gives a pretty good analysis:

One thing you have to factor into this year's  o-line success is Joe's ability to move around in the pocket and take off and run.  This helps out an o-line tremendously and what separates him from other QBs like a Mettenberger.   I'm not sure Brennan is going to be as mobile as Joe but from what we've seen, I think he will move around more than Mett.

And f! it anyway  WE ARE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS :LSU:

You think way too much like me, at times, that can be a bad thing. Was going to revisit this one. We had 7-8 players that played in games this year. Want to see the Spring game, go from there. 

Edited by LSUDad

I liked what I saw.  He has good zip on the ball, he threw a 10 yard downfield ball to the sideline, it got there fast.  His accuracy looks good.  I liked one of the most simple passes he threw to a running back flaring out to the sideline, it looks easy, but he threw it on time, and put the ball right out in front of the running back who caught it in stride and picked up a nice gain.  It was like a long handoff.  There is reason to be hopeful.  Heck, he can even run a little.  We just need a QB that can get us 5 yards for a first down if all his receivers are covered and part of the field is wide open.

• Like 2