Gameday Tigers

2020 Football Transfer Portal

LSUDad

• 4 months later...

Eric Monroe enters NCAA Transfer Portal

BySHEA DIXON 8 hours ago 

Another LSU player has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, and this time, it's a former Top 50 prospect on 247Sports.

On Friday, sources confirmed with 247Sports that LSU senior safety Eric Monroe had entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal. The new was first reported by AL.com's Matt Zenitz.

The news of Monroe's departure comes soon after the Tigers began voluntary summer workouts in Baton Rouge. Monroe is set to be a senior with one year of eligibility remaining after taking a redshirt at LSU during his first season in 2016. Monroe then saw the field across three seasons from 2017-19, where he saw action in 29 games with 21 tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass breakups.

Monroe appeared in all 13 games and made a start against Auburn during his redshirt freshman season in 2017, but was slowed in 2018 by injuries and appeared in just four games. During LSU's run to a National Championship this past season, Monroe played in 12 games, seeing time in the defensive backfield and on special teams. 

The Houston (Texas) North Shore product was one the No. 1 safety in the country on 247Sports coming out of high school in the 2016 class, choosing the Tigers over Texas A&M and double-digit other scholarships. He was ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 55 overall prospect and the No. 3 safety in the country.

While Monroe has entered his name into the transfer portal, he is able to remove his name and return to LSU, if he so chooses. It's unclear which programs Monroe might be looking at for a potential landing spot, though with his name into the transfer portal, coaches at other schools are now able to open lines of communication with the fifth-year LSU defensive back.

Earlier this month, Orgeron opened up on ESPN104.5's Off the Bench about the outlook at the safety position, which included Monroe as veterans battled with a new crop of talent on campus from recent recruiting cycles.

"Obviously, Jacoby Stevens, there's so many things that we can do with him. I'm so happy that he's back," Orgeron said. "I think pound-for-pound, Jacoby Stevens is our strongest player. He's a great rusher, he's strong in the weight room, he can do a lot of things. I know Bo is excited about him. We've been looking for a big safety and Jacoby is 6-1, 230. (LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini) talked to me, we looked at our safety board. He said, 'Hey, get LaRon Landry.' I said, 'I'm looking for him, I promise you.'"

Todd Harris, who had his 2019 season cut short to a knee injury, is also back in the fold. Kary Vincent, Jr., a track standout for LSU, has seen extensive time at cornerback and safety, most often as a nickel back. Maurice Hampton, a two-sport athlete who also competes on the baseball diamond, is also likely to see plenty of safety reps this season after playing a year ago as a true freshman.

"Having Todd Harris back there is going to help. He's going to come in, be a leader for us," Orgeron said. "Jordan Toles, mid-year graduate, has done phenomenal. Jordan's already 6-1, 206. Obviously, Kary Vincent can play the nickel position, he can play safety, one of the fastest players in the country. Mo Hampton, who started some games for us last year. Looks to be in great shape. Got Cam Lewis and Eric Monroe, so yea, we're deep.”

Monroe is set to graduate this summer from LSU, which would allow him to become a graduate transfer and become immediately eligible to play at another school this fall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LSU TE Jamal Pettigrew enters name in NCAA Transfer Portal

ByAUSTIN NIVISON 10 hours ago 

The LSU Tigers may be losing a veteran on their roster before the 2020 season begins. Sources tell 247Sports that LSU senior tight end Jamal Pettigrew has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Pettigrew classifies as a graduate transfer, so he will be eligible to play immediately if he does decide to go to a new program. However, the tight end also has the option to remove his name from the portal and return to LSU this fall.

Pettigrew, a New Orleans native, was a four-star recruit and the No. 9 player at his position in the 2016 signing class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Coming out of St. Augustine HIgh School, Pettigrew had offers from major programs like Alabama, Florida, and Arizona State. In his career with the Tigers, Pettigrew has caught just two passes for 17 yards. As part of LSU’s national championship team in 2019, Pettigrew was behind Thaddeus Moss on the depth chart and had one reception for a one-yard loss.

Former LSU TE Jamal Pettigrew chooses FCS transfer destination

Adam Spencer | 21 minutes ago

The LSU Tigers lost TEs Stephen Sullivan and Thaddeus Moss to the NFL this offseason, and then they lost more depth.

That happened when Jamal Pettigrew announced he was entering the NCAA transfer portal.

On Saturday, it was revealed that he had chosen a transfer destination, and he’ll stay in the state of Louisiana. As you can see below, the McNeese State Cowboys announced they had added Pettigrew to their roster:

Since he’s heading to the FCS level, Pettigrew will be eligible to play right away. He will be a senior.

In 2019, Pettigrew made 1 catch for the Tigers, but it went for -1 yards. In 2017, he had 1 catch for 18 yards.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Former LSU DL Justin Thomas reportedly lands with new team

Keith Farner | 22 minutes ago

About two weeks after his departure from LSU, defensive lineman Justin Thomas has reportedly landed with a new team.

According to Matt Zenitz of AL.com, Thomas will play at UAB.

00:04
05:39

00:16

Coach Ed Orgeron reacted to the move earlier this month.

“Justin Thomas is no longer with us, he’s left the team,” he said. “It’s unfortunate.”

Thomas appeared in 5 games last season with 8 tackles, a sack and 2 tackles for a loss. In 2018, Thomas played in 4 games, recording 4 tackles and half-sack for a 4-yard loss. He had a career-high 3 tackles to go along with half-sack in home-opener against Southeastern Louisiana. Thomas also chipped in a tackle in the win over No. 2 Georgia.

Thomas was expected to be in the mix as a backup defensive end, and possibly challenge for a starting position, under new coordinator Bo Pelini.

Along with the NFL departures, and players lost to graduation, Thomas also joined other departures from last year’s team, including players who opted out, like Ja’Marr Chase, Neil Farrell and Kary Vincent, Jr.

LSU DE TK McLendon enters transfer portal

ByCHRIS HUMMER 44 minutes ago 

9879654.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Billy Embody, Getty)

LSU defensive end TK McLendon entered the transfer portal Monday afternoon, a source told 247Sports. McLendon had been battling for a starting role in Bo Pelini's 4-3 defense, but had been overtaken in fall camp by others.

When fall camp kicked off in Baton Rouge earlier this month, defensive line coach Bill Johnson had seniors Andre Anthonyand Travez Moore as the first-team players on the edge of the line.

"We have Andre Anthony doing very well, then young guys behind him like Phillip Webb and BJ Ojulari,” LSU head coach Ed Orgeron told reporters this month. “I think they are outstanding pass rushers. Travez Moore is doing great at left end, and he’s actually starting at left end. Those guys are doing phenomenal.

“I feel good about Andre Anthony and I feel good about the direction we are going with the 4-3.”

Former five-star Arik Gilbert has drawn plenty of attention to begin camp as one of LSU's top new weapons on offense, but it's been his high school teammate Ojulari who has helped give the Tigers an immediate 1-2 punch out of Marietta High. And when coupled with another Top 100 signee in Phillip Webb, the Tigers have some immediate help coming from out-of-state signees.

"Yesterday (Ojulari) had four or five sacks," Orgeron said. "You are going to see him on third down. He is definitely considered a starter in the rotation. Phillip Webb is doing well. Those guys are looking good."

McLendon, a former junior college signee joined the Tigers ahead of the 2019 season, catching one pass for 12 yards across three games. McLendon ranked as the No. 47 overall player and No. 2 tight end in the 2019 junior college class, per the 247Sports Composite. Orgeron switched him to defensive end to help him potentially see playing time.

The NCAA introduced the portal on Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name. Usually, it takes 24-48 hours for a player to appear following their request. Schools are free to contact a player without restriction once their name appears in the portal.

While a player entering their name in the transfer portal means they intend to explore their options, it does not necessarily mean they will leave. A player is free to withdraw his name at any time. However, schools are under no obligation to keep a player on scholarship once they enter the portal.

The first portal cycle saw 1,942 FBS players enter in the initial calendar year of its existence, per a source.

• 1 month later...

Source: LSU defensive tackle Siaki Ika entering transfer portal

ByBLAIR ANGULO 3 hours ago 

One of the marquee recruiting wins for Ed Orgeron in the 2019 class appears set on departing from LSU.

Former four-star defensive tackle Siaki Ika, who played in 13 games in a back-up role as a true freshman last fall and helped the Tigers claim a national championship, is entering the transfer portal, a source informs 247Sports.

With the Tigers shifting to a 4-3 defensive front from a 3-4, the 6-foot-4, 340-pound nose tackle has seen his reps diminish. According to Geaux247 reporter Shea Dixon, Ika met with Orgeron on Tuesday to discuss his playing time.

The nation's No. 159 overall prospect and No. 11-rated defensive tackle in the 2019 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, the Salt Lake City (Utah) East product also took official visits to Florida, USC, Oregon and Utah during the recruiting process before ultimately signing with LSU.

"He wants to go wherever he fits best," a source told 247Sports, "location doesn’t matter."

Maybe I'm old school and I certainly don't have all the facts but you don't quit on your team in the middle of the season. You gut it out and make the best of it. This year doesn't even count toward eligibility. 

And wouldn't it benefit him regarding his future in the NFL if he can show that he can play in both the 3-4 and 4-3?

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

And wouldn't it benefit him regarding his future in the NFL if he can show that he can play in both the 3-4 and 4-3?

Seems like it to me.  The 49'ers had acquired Glen Dorsey from the Chiefs and  Due to an injury they put Dorsey at NT.  I thought he was too light for NT, I don't think he was over 300 lbs., but he played it very well for one year.  The second year he tore his bicep and was out the rest of the season, and never got back.

9 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Maybe I'm old school and I certainly don't have all the facts but you don't quit on your team in the middle of the season. You gut it out and make the best of it. This year doesn't even count toward eligibility. 

True. 

Many players in the NFL have a team go from 3-4 to 4-3, and the other way. Two former Tigers did this many times. Kyle Williams and Bennie Logan never missed a beat. Kyle and Bennie had DC come in changed up the defense. Haven’t talked with anyone on what’s going on. But we’ll see. 

It adds to your value. To think a 4-3 doesn’t use a NT? Look in the NFL, many do.