Gameday Tigers

Official: Bo Pelini new DC

Hatchertiger

9 hours ago, Fishhead said:

No offense Dachs, but this is the most overblown thing I keep reading everywhere. 

Joe broke records that stood for decades. Does nobody remember Tim Couch, Florida's fun and gun, the fact urban Meyer was at UF when Bo was here? 

Jamar broke a record from the 90s with his 20 TDs. Joe broke Colt Brennan's record gir passing TDs...not some recent record. 

The forward pass and even spread concepts are not new. 

They're just kinda new to us lol

No offense taken.  I admit this is what I have been reading.  I don t have the depth of knowledge you guys do about football so I trusted you could answer it.  🙂

4-3 vs. 3-4? It's Bo's choice.

On Tuesday morning, Orgeron joined ESPN 104.5's Off the Bench and opened up on the future of LSU's defensive looks - which will largely depend on what Pelini thinks of the current roster and how that is suited to defend the offensive attacks in the Southeastern Conference.

"We talked about it briefly," Orgeron said. "Obviously, when Bo was in the NFL with (Pete Carroll), they ran the 3-4, and then he ran the 4-3 here at LSU. So I think he knows how to do both. It's going to be his decision which way he wants to go, and we're going to follow his lead."

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/LongFormArticle/LSU-Tigers-football-defensive-coordinator-Bo-Pelini-hired-2020-season-Ed-Orgeron-replace-Dave-Aranda--142810962/#142810962_10

Further proof that O has learned not to micromanage, let your coaches coach.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Herb said:

Was that the game where a fight broke out when LSU was heading to the locker room after the victory?

2005 Peach Bowl Miami vs. LSU 40-3 = post-game scuffle

2018 Advocare Classic  Miami vs. LSU 33-17 = pre-game scuffle

CONCLUSION: Miami is tired of losing to LSU

Edited by Hatchertiger

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Imo 4-3 or 3-4 is dinosaur football talk at this point. It has to be multiple like the offenses are nowadays.  

Nickle is base quite often now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Imo 4-3 or 3-4 is dinosaur football talk at this point. It has to be multiple like the offenses are nowadays.  

Yeah.

That has all of the relevance of who "starts" a game...a running back can play ton the 1st play of a game and be a 'starter' even if they did not play another down in the game.  

Each play is different. Could be a 3-4, or a 4-3, or a 5-2, etc.,.  The offense dictates the formation of each play.  The "base" defense is just something to appease the limited attention span of pundits.

I don't care what defense we run as long as its effective!!!! Funny story about the nickel defense:

Have you ever learned something a little late in life and just had a “oh wait, that’s what that is!?” moment?

It happens to the best of us and also happens to the best-of-the-best in the sports world!

Turns out Brett Favre didn’t know what a nickel defense was and had to ask Ty Detmer.

According to Favre, Detmer’s first response to the question was simply, “are you serious?”

The explanation, for all of those who don’t quite know the specifics of sportsball, is basically “take out a linebacker and bring in a DB.”

Once Favre learned what he had been missing out on all that time he had a total “that’s it!?” moment and continued on to be a legend.

What did you learn way later than you should have? Let us know!

https://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/2019/07/22/brett-favre-tells-how-he-learned-about-nickel-defense-two-years-into-career/

And Brett, thanks again for making Curly Hallman possible :dancing-chicken:

Darry Beckwith's "take" on Bo Pelini:

“I love it. Coach Orgeron wants to go to a 4-3 defense, and wants his defensive linemen attacking,” “One thing I can say is those kids are going to know their defense. To this day I still remember my assignments. I know exactly what the buck linebacker is supposed to do in each formation.”

How does Beckwith believe that Pelini’s style will work with O’s?

“I think the last couple of years Coach O has always wanted to run a 4-3, so the personnel he’s been bringing in has been trending that way,” Beckwith said.

https://1045espn.com/darry-beckwith-talks-the-hiring-of-bo-pelini/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

33 minutes ago, Herb said:

Yeah.

That has all of the relevance of who "starts" a game...a running back can play ton the 1st play of a game and be a 'starter' even if they did not play another down in the game.  

Each play is different. Could be a 3-4, or a 4-3, or a 5-2, etc.,.  The offense dictates the formation of each play.  The "base" defense is just something to appease the limited attention span of pundits.

Look now, teams are playing a nickel, dime, Quarter and Dollar defenses. Depends on down and distance, time left on the clock, too many factors.

Aranda played a number of formations and packages, same with Steve on the other side of the ball. 

Third and a bus trip, you want speed on the field. 

47 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Speaking of a cab ride, when you gonna be on this side of the world? Lunch would be good. 

In San Marcos today, have been working the valley. 

Y'all need another hail storm. I'm in a flood certification class today, but I wish that on nobody, least of all Houstonians. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fishhead said:

In San Marcos today, have been working the valley. 

Y'all need another hail storm. I'm in a flood certification class today, but I wish that on nobody, least of all Houstonians. 

My younger son went to college at Texas State in San Marcos, so I was there quite a bit over 5 years.  That's a very nice town.  Easy access to San Antonio and Austin.

Another interview, Kyle Williams. 

I got invited to a Breakfast with Kyle Williams a while back, good speaker. A number of coaches and local high school players from the BTR area attended. 

274902DB-2734-4667-86D6-AFEA2FA5F228.thumb.jpeg.16e6fb2742bc8052003a34b0abd815e2.jpeg

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 2