Gameday Tigers

New PGC, Scott Linehan

LSUDad

LSU hires Scott Linehan as passing game coordinator

• by Shea Dixon
  • 29 minutes ago
(Photo: Kirby Lee, USA TODAY Sports) 8812775.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

LSU has found a replacement for passing game coordinator Joe Brady.

With Brady jumping on his first on-field NFL coaching job as the offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers, head coach Ed Orgeron has circled a longtime NFL coach as the next man up.

The Tigers have hired Scott Linehan to the offensive coaching staff, sources have confirmed with the Geaux247 staff. The Athletic's Bruce Feldman first reported the news.

Linehan most recently was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 2015-18, and he was the team’s passing game coordinator in 2014. Linehan was head coach of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-08.

Linehan entered the coaching professions in 1987 as an offensive coordinator at Sunset High in Oregon, then made his way to Idaho as a wide receivers coach from 1989-90. After a stop at ULNV and a return to Idaho as offensive coordinator, Linehan landed his first big gig with the Washington Huskies as the team’s offensive coordinator in 1996. Over the next three seasons, he would serve as offensive coordinator and also coach wide receiver and quarterbacks.

Linehan had a three-year stop at Louisville as an offensive coordinator before entering the NFL rankings, first as an offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings in 2002. He then joined Nick Saban’s staff as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins in 2005 before becoming the head coach of the Rams.

Between college and NFL, Linehan has been an offensive coordinator with seven different teams between 1992 and 2018.

Linehan joins an LSU coaching staff that returns offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, offensive line coach James Cregg, wide receivers coach Mickey Joseph and running backs coach Tommie Robinson.

Orgeron recently hired Bo Pelini away from Youngstown State to become the new defensive coordinator in place of Dave Aranda, who took the head coach job at Baylor. LSU returns defensive line coach Bill Johnson, cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond and safeties coach Bill Busch. Special teams coordinator Greg McMahon also remains on staff.

Cowboys weren't doing so great on offense recently.  Linehan fired January 2019.  Jason Garrett fired in January 2020.  Looks like Linehan was out of football in 2019.  He's had a LOT of jobs, many important jobs.  He's got plenty of experience.  Does he have the winning edge, whatever that is?  I don't recognize his NFL teams as championship teams.  Ensminger had better have learned a lot from Joe Brady.  Jerry Sullivan had a lot of NFL experience as passing game coordinator in 2018, and we were OK, but he "retired" after one season (or was retired).  O and E have made mistakes, and they have corrected the mistakes.  I just don't know how this will work out, but sitting here right now, it is not apparent that this is a slam dunk win.  I am sure Linehan was interviewed by E and his ability to work well with E was assessed, as well as his ability to get along with O.  But you have to be able to shake receivers loose, and get the ball out quickly to a safety valve when they are all out blitzing.

Coach O makes curious hire to fill passing game coordinator vacancy

February 10, 2020 Ron Higgins 0

LSU has hired former NFL head coach Scott Linehan as its passing game coordinator

LSU coach Ed Orgeron said last week he was looking for someone with pro experience to fill the Tigers’ passing game coordinator vacancy.

Late Monday afternoon, he hired Scott Linehan, a former NFL head coach and offensive coordinator who has been fired from his last three jobs,

Linehan, 56, was head coach of the St. Louis Rams for just more than two seasons, from 2006 until the fourth game of the 2008 season. That’s when he was fired after the team’s 0-4 start, finishing 11-25 in 36 games.

He was offensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions from 2009 to 2013 but was fired when head coach Jim Schwarz was fired at season’s end.

Linehan was then hired by the Dallas Cowboys in 2014 as a passing game coordinator and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2015. He held that position until he was fired at the end of the 2018 season.

With Linehan as offensive coordinator, the Cowboys struggled in the passing game. Dallas never had a passing attack rank better than 16th in the NFL, which was Linehan’s first season.

Also, Dallas had problems scoring. His predictable down and distance play calls resulted in the Cowboys averaging 22.1 points or fewer in three of his five seasons. In 2014 and 2016, the Cowboys averaged 29.2 and 26.3 points.

Linehan did not coach last season.

His last college coaching job was as offensive coordinator & wide receivers coach for Louisville in 1999-2001 under John L. Smith.

His second pro coaching job was as former LSU coach Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator in 2005 when Saban took over the Miami Dolphins.

30 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Well he's not coming in to reinvent the wheel and he's not OC. The offense is installed. 

I hope he can bring some RPO knowledge and be a good fit for Brennan and Ensminger... and bring Nussmeier in. 

agreed. 

which is why i’m not necessarily against this hire.  

just not sure i’m for it either. 

Brady was a crucial part of 3rd down and redzone play calling.

21 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Does anyone know Brady's on field coaching experience prior to last season?

He was LBer coach at William and Mary 1 one year. That's it.  

Brady was a huge question mark. We didn’t know enough about him to give any sort of honest opinion outside of pure conjecture and guesswork. 

Linehan has experience.  Just that it’s a whole metric shyte ton of “meh”. 

nothing overly bad. 
but nothing all that brag worthy either. 

When I got Brady’s name, I got in touch with a few folks in NOLA, close to the Saints organization. Both said young, upcoming coach. Both said, don’t know how long you keep him. Both said, Payton doesn’t keep anyone around that doesn’t work. Won’t keep you if you don’t do your job. It’s also known, Brady wants to be Payton. The way to do that, get experience, move around. 

Now with the hire, Steve called a little over 80% of the plays this year, set up the game plan. Brady brought in new concepts. They meshed well together. Steve like I’ve said before, can work with anyone. 

When you look at passed hires. O has done a good job In this part. When you get coaches from the NFL, that’s a plus. Cregg, Bill Johnson (DL Coach), and a few more. Also, many have been hired and fired before. Many successful coaches have been fired. 

Back to the hire. While at Dallas,  Garrett knew his days were numbered, guess he could have fired himself. A coach will cut lose a coordinator, look what happened at UTx this season. You look at the QB and WR combinations Scott has coached. The best one, he was hired with the Lions, he gets there in 2009, by 2010 Calvin “Megatron” Johnson made 6 consecutive Pro Bowls, led the NFL pass reception yards.  

Edited by LSUDad

What might be most important is how well he synchs with Ensminger more than anything else.

I'll give Linehan the benefit of the doubt and see what he does with Brennan.  Linehan obviously was esteemed enough to be hired for an NFL HC gig at one point. I can't dish too much grief his way regarding Dallas because, frankly, I never thought Prescott was all that great to begin with. He was a decent college QB but he is kind of an average NFL QB at best in my opinion.

Statistically, Matt Staffords best years were when Linehan was the Lions OC. Stafford only played 10 games his rookie season (also Linehan's 1st season in Detroit) and had a season ending injury 3 games into the following season. But for Linehan's last 3 seasons in Detroit, Stafford passed for 5,038 yds (41 TDs); 4,967 yds (20 TDs); and 4,650 yds (29 TDs).  Those are not bad stats, per se.

At Dallas, Linehan was Passing Coordinator in 2014. That year Tony Romo passed for 3,705 yds and 34 TDs. Romo was injured off and on for the next couple of years and Prescott took over in 2016.  For the 3 seasons under Linehan, Prescott's stats were 3,667 yds (23 TDs); 3,324 yds (22 TDs); and 3,885 yds (22 TDs).

Linehan fared better in Detroit most likely because he had a better QB to work with there. 

We also need to keep our expectations in check. Burrow was a generational player for LSU and we need to check our expectations at the door and not assume Brennan will equal Burrow's success (but it could happen).

• Like 2

LSU hires Scott Linehan as new passing game coordinator

George Faust
2 hours ago

LSU Football adding to the staff today, and replacing Joe Brady. The National Champions and Head Coach Ed Orgeron hired the Former Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan. Linehan also served as the Offensive Coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys from 2015 to 2018.  
He’ll be tasked with bringing along Myles Brennan, and the rest of some very young quarterback talent.

He also worked in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions, and was the offensive coordinator for Nick Saban in Miami with the Dolphins.

Just a few things, Scott was brought in to assist Steve, much like Brady. Steve worked with Brady breaking down film. But to add, that was a waste of time. Every team we played this year, changed up their defense to try and stop, or at least slow down our offense. 
Steve, with Brady, set up the game plan. The play cards you see, break down downs and distance. If you lookin a press box, most times you see  Steve, Brady and 5-6 other guys. If you notice, we ran a number of formations early, just to see what a defense was doing. Once a formation was used a few times. Steve knew what to call and when to call it. 

It’s known Steve made around 80% of calls. Once the game was in hand, Steve sat back and had Brady handled the offense. Brady had never called plays before getting to LSU. 

Most OC, script the first 15 to 20 plays,  a few OC I know, have a card for 2 minute drills. 

Now Scott will get incorporated into the mix with Steve, as much as Brady was. 

Another young PGC, might not be here long. Using it as a stepping stone. 

I contacted a few folks on the hire, let’s see what Scott brings to the table.  Looking at who he worked with and under, a wealth on knowledge will be added. 

• Like 2

I am certainly willing to give O the benefit of the doubt.  But, he has missed on some coaching hires, and hit home runs on others.  When he hired Joe Brady, I didn't know what to think, and I think the offense surpassed almost all LSU fans expectations for "opening up the offense"!  Man, that was wide open!

As Herb said, at least Linehan was promoted to a head coach in the NFL, so somebody saw something.  On the other hand, so was Cam Cameron, but Cameron was fired by the Dolphins after one season, when they won only one game.  Linehan has to be better than that.

I have long hated LSU's passing plays close to the goal line, 10 yards and in.  Seems they tried a lot of fade routes to the corner of the end zone, and while beautiful when they work, to me its a low percentage pass because the timing and ball placement has to be so exact.  I much preferred the TD to Moss, standing up in the end zone in the championship game against Clemson.  LSU had at least 10 new ways to get a receiver open in the end zone and hit him, man that was great to see.  Like a real offense!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I am certainly willing to give O the benefit of the doubt.  But, he has missed on some coaching hires, and hit home runs on others.  When he hired Joe Brady, I didn't know what to think, and I think the offense surpassed almost all LSU fans expectations for "opening up the offense"!  Man, that was wide open!

As Herb said, at least Linehan was promoted to a head coach in the NFL, so somebody saw something.  On the other hand, so was Cam Cameron, but Cameron was fired by the Dolphins after one season, when they won only one game.  Linehan has to be better than that.

I have long hated LSU's passing plays close to the goal line, 10 yards and in.  Seems they tried a lot of fade routes to the corner of the end zone, and while beautiful when they work, to me its a low percentage pass because the timing and ball placement has to be so exact.  I much preferred the TD to Moss, standing up in the end zone in the championship game against Clemson.  LSU had at least 10 new ways to get a receiver open in the end zone and hit him, man that was great to see.  Like a real offense!

The offense isn't changing. It's installed. 

Cam Cameron was OC. Linehan is the PGC. 

He's being brought in to handle situational plays.  

One thing both LSU fans and analysts should consider is the affect that Burrow had on boosting the reputations of the coaches he played under. Is Brady an offensive wizard or did having a QB who rewrote the record books on school, conference, and national levels make him appear better than he actually was/is? Was Brady a one hit wonder or will he prove his wizardry on the professional level now? Did Burrow elevate Orgeron to an "elite head coach" level or was Orgeron really that good all along and just needed the right opportunity to shine? 

You may recall me saying it many times, but Nick Saban and Les Miles did not make LSU a national power, LSU made them famous coaches. He who awakes a sleeping dragon has the dragon to thank for them looking badass.

Just as LSU made Saban, Miles, and now Orgeron national championship rings, it also made Brady, Aranda, and others household names. I suspect LSU will also give Linehan the platform to make him succeed.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, Hatchertiger said:

I have maintained for a very long time that if LSU can get most of the talent in Louisiana, we will compete for championships. 

My observation was that when we sign 12 out of the top 15 players in the state, for 3 consecutive years, we are a top 10 team.  This year we only signed 7 of the top 15, but we did much better out of state than we normally do.  Bringing in 5* talent like Elias Ricks and Arik Gilbert, you want those kind of kids.  Van Pran (#4 in state) always wanted to go out of state, don't know why, but some kids do.  Maybe La. was down a little this year.