Gameday Tigers

OK to talk about the 2020 season now....

houtiger

Who are you looking to see step up?  Who had a good season but you think may breakout?  What is your area of concern?

I'll take the obvious one.  How well will Myles Brennan play?  We know he has a cannon for an arm, he can really zip the ball.  Can he read the defense like Joe?  Can he throw the ball with some touch, not just fire it in?  How's his accuracy?  Can he run a little?  How's his leadership?  Will Myles Brennan graduate in May and be able to spend time studying film?

I think we are all pulling for Myles.  He has put in his time, learned the offense, played a bit, and he should be ready to go.

• Like 3

Re: Brennan

I think his running ability is overlooked. He's pretty damn good in that department. 

I wanna see Damone Clark and Marcell Brooks with another year in the system. I am looking forward to the return of Justin Thomas and Todd Harris. 

Not a concern, but wanna see who steps up opposite Sting. Flott seems like the easy call, but I think Raydar shocks some folks. Ricks ain't a slouch with his ball skills. 

The concern is, who's replacing Cush?  O doesn't seem too thrilled talking about Hines, which is disappointing.

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

The concern is, who's replacing Cush?  O doesn't seem too thrilled talking about Hines, which is disappointing.

When I saw Cush in the Spring Game, I said, they better find another center. How he had improved from Spring to the Miami game was about a biggest transformation I’ve ever seen by a OL. Let’s see if they can work more of that magic. Rose looked to get better each game, he has the tackle frame, a Spring will settle him down. Deculus will man the other side, Ingram one guard position. 

I just want to see a little Spring game, might be able to make a practice also. 

Someone said this year, we didn’t have a scoop and score or a pick 6. With Bo, I’d look for that to change. 

I found some more interesting facts, will post them later. 

Don't look now, but our RB stable is pretty stocked again. My early focus offensively will be on OL and RB play and - oh yeah - we have this kid at TE that may be worth paying attention to.

Defensively, some guy returned to the team after a few years away that is going to make a few adjustments like moving players to new positions and ignite the fire in their bellies. Like Fish, I will pay keen attention to the LB position also. But the biggest person I look forward to watching next year on defense is Jacoby Stevens...the kraken will be released.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Don't look now, but our RB stable is pretty stocked again. My early focus offensively will be on OL and RB play and - oh yeah - we have this kid at TE that may be worth paying attention to.

Defensively, some guy returned to the team after a few years away that is going to make a few adjustments like moving players to new positions and ignite the fire in their bellies. Like Fish, I will pay keen attention to the LB position also. But the biggest person I look forward to watching next year on defense is Jacoby Stevens...the kraken will be released.

The TE from Ga will sit out the Spring game. Having shoulder surgery. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Elias Ricks AND Arik Gilbert having surgery.  Non-leg stuff though, which is good. They'll be ready for fall

Both had shoulder surgery. Ricks played his senior year with a torn labrum ... ouch. Being reported that Ricks should be good to go by the middle of spring whereas Gilbert will miss the entire spring.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

ESPN early ranking for 2020, says LSU lost a lot, including Brady and Aranda:

1 Clemson

2 Ohio State

3 Alabama

4 Georgia

5 Penn State

6 Oregon

7 Florida

8 LSU

9 Oklahoma

10 Notre Dame

11 Texas A&M

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28726502/way-too-early-college-football-top-25-lsu-loses-ground-clemson-no-1

We can still kick the asses of every team ranked in front of us.

Bring it on.

• Like 2

LSU football won’t be taking it easy on their top players.

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron made it clear on Tuesday that there won’t be any special treatment for the Tigers’ top players.

In fact, Orgeron said he’ll actually be tougher on LSU’s premier players.

Coach O, who was appearing on 104.5 in Baton Rouge, said on Tuesday that players like wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase will be held to a higher standard. Orgeron said he “will not let it slide” if those players mess up. 

1.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=169&width=300

Ed Orgeron says players like Ja'Marr Chase have a higher standard, if they mess up "I will not let it slide."

Learned from Jimmy Johnson: "Coach your best players the hardest, and the rest of the team will respect you." #LSU

This is a tremendous approach by Orgeron. This is how championships programs operate.

There are far too many teams, both at the collegiate level and the pro level, where star players receive preferential treatment.

Coach O, however, has established a culture where everyone is coached hard. Star players are held to a higher standard, which in turn earns the respect of the entire team.

RELATED PRODUCT
Tailgate Women's LSU Tigers Slub Jersey T-Shirt Purple L
Tailgate Women's LSU Tigers Slub Jersey T-Shirt Purple L
Buy Now!

It’s remarkable what Orgeron has built in the last few years at LSU. He took a program that was on solid ground and helped it reach the next level.

Of course, now that LSU has reached the summit, they have to figure out a way to stay there.

Orgeron, along with the rest of the program, is motivated to prove that 2019 wasn’t a fluke.

The Tigers will be doubted in 2020, as evidenced by ESPN’s recent FPI rankings.

But that’ll just make it even more fun when LSU proves everyone wrong next season.

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I still don't get the love for Kellen Mond.

Clearly you've been living under a rock.  🙂 This is from July 2019

"In my opinion I'm the best one," Mond said of the SEC's returning quarterbacks. "That's not just because I'm a confident person. I actually believe that."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2019/07/23/texas-am-s-kellen-mond-i-m-the-best-qb-in-the-sec/

Psssst. Kellen. I believe in Santa Claus.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I still don't get the love for Kellen Mond.

If you don’t think he’s great, just ask him. He will tell you he is. 

To add, aTm should be somewhat better this year, they had a bunch of Jrs on their team last year. The loss of the two WR’s, DT and DB, will knock them back a little. What LSU did this year, knocked them back a few notches. That was a total beat down, wasn’t close. 

LSU’s 2020 Season Will Look Different, but It Won't Be for a Lack of Talent

Harrison Valentine

15 hours ago

It’s not hyperbole to say LSU’s 2019 season will never be duplicated.

After posting a perfect 15-0 record and winning the program’s fourth-ever national championship inside the friendly confines of Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Ed Orgeron’s team, and coaching staff specifically, is going to look a lot different after last year’s historic run. 

Despite nine early NFL draft entrants and multiple key coaching vacancies that have since been filled, the Tigers are still loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. The general consensus this offseason has been that LSU’s dominance is soon to be over, but it’s not far fetched to think the Tigers can stay in the College Football Playoff hunt in 2020.

The schedule is similar to last season, and it has a 5-0 start written all over it if LSU can survive Texas in their early-September meeting in Baton Rouge. The away games do get tougher, with road trips set for Florida [Oct. 10], Auburn [Nov. 21], and Texas A&M [Nov. 28] down the stretch.

Notable home games include Texas, Ole Piss, Mississippi State and Alabama.

It seems cliché, but it will all most likely come down to the play of quarterback Myles Brennan, who we have only seen in late-game situations with the backups. First, it’s not fair to compare Brennan to Heisman-winner Joe Burrow. The Athens, Ohio native, and soon-to-be No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL draft is the greatest player in LSU history and will have a statue outside Tiger Stadium next to Billy Cannon some day. Brennan is here to set his own legacy, and fans should judge that as such. It’s also not fair to assess what we’ve seen from him since his reps were always limited, and never with the starters.

Brennan threw for 353 yards, a touchdown and an interception behind Burrow in 2019.

The offense returns a ton of key talent from last season, starting with Biletnikoff award winner Ja’Marr Chase and junior receiver Terrace Marshall. It is also gaining reinforcements from LSU’s No. 4 rated recruiting class, highlighted by five-star tight end Arik Gilbert and five-star wideout Kayshon Boutte out of Westgate. And even though Joe Brady is gone, many forget the offensive coordinator in 2019 was really Steve Ensminger, who will be back in the booth with new passing game coordinator Scott Linehan going forward.

"We wanted to bring in someone who will expand our passing game and with Scott's experience as an NFL head coach and offensive coordinator we feel this is the best move for our offense,” Orgeron said on the hire of Linehan in an official release. “After talking to numerous people with NFL experience and interviewing Scott we knew he was the right fit for the LSU Tigers."

Can LSU remain one of the top offenses in college football under Ensminger and the NFL veteran Linehan? The post-Joe Brady era should be fascinating.

On the other side, the defense probably took the biggest hit in draft departures, but the returns of senior safety JaCoby Stevens and sophomore corner Derek Stingley Jr. ensure a secondary that will be one of the best in the country once again. In fact, the defensive line also returns Tyler Shelvin, Glen Logan, Neil Farrell and Apu Ika, which may be considered one of the top interior line units itself under Bo Pelini and his new 4-3 scheme.

“I thought it would be best to shift to the 4-3 with more of an attack-style defense,” Orgeron said at his Signing Day presser. “I think [Bo] is going to put us in the best position to attack.”

Contrary to popular belief, the sky isn’t falling. But there are some areas to be worried about. 

The biggest area for concern stands at linebacker, where LSU lost both Jacob Phillips and Patrick Queen to the NFL after each had breakout seasons. Queen was named national championship game MVP after recording eight tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss, and half a sack against Clemson. The current expectation is that sophomores Damone Clark and Micah Baskerville will fill the void, but it’s normal to feel a little uncertain about it given their inexperience. Clark tallied 49 tackles (17 solo) and 3.5 sacks in a solid freshman campaign.

After winning the Joe Moore Award for the nation’s top offensive line in 2019, LSU will have to replace four of five players from that unit, returning right tackle Austin Deculus. Dare Rosenthal and Kardell Thomas will likely fill a few spots, but with a first-year starting QB, protection will be key.

There are many reasons to feel both excited and nervous about LSU’s upcoming season, but it’s clear the positives outweigh the negatives. 

With spring practice around the corner on Thursday, March 7, LSU’s quest to defend its title soon begins. The Tigers will without question look a lot different in 2020, but expectations surrounding the program shouldn’t take a dive because of it.

• Like 3

Good write up, Dad.

Defensively, I'm really looking forward to see how Pelini utilizes JaCoby Stevens. I'm also excited and hopeful to see Ika come into his own. I think the rest of the defense will be just fine.

Brennan - barring injury - will shush the constant 'question marks' from sports writers. He'll do fine. The running game will open up a bit more than it did in 2019, which will make a segment of the LSU fan base complain even while we keep knocking off opponents and notching up wins. Some people just can't be happy with success because its more important to them 'how you succeed'.

(This is Paul Harvey.                  Good Day!)

• Thanks 1

It's not too early for LSU to look ahead to its 2020 opponents

Les East | 5 hours ago

The seniors and early entrants into the NFL Draft from LSU’s national championship team have moved on. Many were in Indianapolis this past weekend getting measured and weighed and interviewed at the NFL Combine.

The players who will comprise the 2020 Tigers begin spring practice next weekend.

The opponents on LSU’s fall schedule also have turned the page from last season and positioned themselves to begin preparation for next season.

This is the time off year that head coaches look ahead to the schedule to find the most challenging teams, those with the least familiar schemes and those with new head coaches or coordinators.

That’s because now is the time that the coaching staff can get a head-start on fall opponents that might require additional preparation beyond what can be handled in a game week.

Here’s an early look at what awaits the defending national champions in the fall.

Sept. 5 vs. UTSA 

LSU coach Ed Orgeron might have had a pretty good idea of what to expect from former Tigers assistant Frank Wilson, but he was fired as head coach in December after 4 seasons and replaced by Jeff Traylor.

It might be hard to anticipate what Traylor will run because he’s never been a college head coach before, but Orgeron and his staff aren’t going to spend any extra time on the Roadrunners.

Sept. 12 vs. Texas

Bo Pelini is beginning his 2nd stint as the Tigers’ defensive coordinator and he’s busy making the transition from Dave Aranda’s system to his own in time for the start of spring practice.

He’ll try to find time to also look at what the Longhorns did to Aranda’s defense last September – 530 total yards and 31 2nd-half points – and get a head-start on what his defense can do to slow down Sam Ehlinger and the Texas offense.

Sept. 19 at Rice

It’s rare that LSU plays a non-Power 5 opponent on the road, but Houston is a major stop on the recruiting trail for the Tigers.

If Orgeron and his staff spend any offseason time thinking about this game it will be to map out a game plan for recruits in the area.

Sept. 26 vs. Ole Piss

The Rebels have a new coach in Lane Kiffin, but Orgeron should have a pretty good handle on what to expect from him. Orgeron was an assistant under Kiffin at USC before Kiffin was fired and Orgeron was named interim head coach during the 2013 season.

Orgeron and Pelini should be relieved that they don’t have to prepare for another dose of former offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez’s offense after the Rebels gained 614 yards and put up 30 2nd-half points last season.

Oct. 3 vs. Nicholls

The Colonels have a very good FCS program, but coach Tim Rebowe’s team won’t be able to sneak up on the Tigers since their campus is a mere 70 miles south of LSU’s.

Oct. 10 at Florida

There shouldn’t be many unknowns with the GayTurds as head coach Dan Mullen enters his 3rd season. But Orgeron is just 1-1 against Mullen at Florida and 2-2 against the GayTurds overall.

Oct. 17 at Arkansas

The Razorbacks have a new head coach in former Georgia associate head coach Sam Pittman, so the Tigers can look at recent Bulldogs team for a hint of what to expect.

But until Pittman is able to string together some recruiting classes like the ones Kirby Smart has had at Georgia, Arkansas isn’t going to command much offseason attention.

Oct. 24 vs. Mississippi State

Orgeron knows what to expect from first-year head coach Mike Leach because Orgeron’s time at USC came during Leach’s tenure as head coach at Washington State.

Still the Tigers might want to brush up on Leach because he brings an approach different from what the Bulldogs have traditionally done.

Nov. 7 vs. Alabama

Everyone knows what to expect from Nick Saban’s team, which will be coming off a loss to LSU for the first time since the BCS Championship Game after the 2011 season.

Nov. 14 vs. South Carolina

The Gamecocks have a new offensive coordinator in former Colorado State head coach Mike Bobo.

Head coach Will Muschamp and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson are both entering their 5th seasons, but the Tigers haven’t played South Carolina since the season before they arrived (2015).

Nov. 21 at Auburn

The whole SEC is curious to see what head coach Gus Malzahn and new offensive coordinator Chad Morris come up with.

LSU will have lots of film to refer to during game week as it plays Auburn much later than normal, thanks to the SEC moving up the Georgia-Auburn game.

Nov. 28 at Texas A&M

Little has changed with the Aggies as Jimbo Fisher enters his 3rd season with the same coordinators (Darrell Dickey and Mike Elko) and quarterback (Kellen Mond) that he began his tenure with.

LSU Football Moving Joseph Evans to Center, Coach Ed Orgeron Talks Spring Practice

Multiple players already asserting themselves as leaders on the field
By Glen West , UPDATED: Mar 3, 2020 | ORIGINAL: Mar 3, 2020
n2E0eE8o-720.jpg

It's March which means that for LSU, spring football is right around the corner for the defending national champs. On Wednesday, coach Ed Orgeron joined Baton Rouge radio show "Off the Bench"to talk all things LSU football as the Tigers will officially hit the field for the first time in the 2020 season on Saturday

Spring ball is meant for tinkering with different positions and Orgeron dropped a few nuggets on one particular player that will be switching positions for the 2020 season.

One of the decisions Orgeron said the Tigers decide to make was move defensive lineman Joseph Evans to center. Evans, a 6-foot-2, 288-pound lineman, played both offensive and defensive line at a high level in high school and hopes it can be a smooth transition for the sophomore. Evans provides more depth to a center position that lost veteran leader Lloyd Cushenberry to the NFL draft.

"When we recruited him out of Haynesville, he was a very good two way player, he could explode out of his hips so we moved him to center," Orgeron said. "We have Chasen at center but Joe's right behind him ad is going to compete with him."

Along with Evans, Chasen Hines and Anthony Bradford will be competing for snaps in the spring with Hines having the clear advantage after spending most of the 2019 season as a backup to Cushenberry.

The running back position is another one that's up in the air as the Tigers currently have three guys--John Emery, Tyrion Davis-Price and Chris Curry--competing for snaps. At the moment, Orgeron said he considers all three backs starters and will use the spring to see if any can separate themselves above the rest.

One of the elements of the offense the Tigers want to continue to do is throw the ball out of the backfield and Orgeron believes that's an area all three backs could improve on this spring.

"All three of those guys are a little bit different, we're going to play all three of them and we're excited about them," Orgeron said. "Chris Curry really showed me a lot about his tenacity and perseverance when he played against Oklahoma. He's becoming the running back we know he can be, Tyrion Davis is a force and John Emery has improved on the things he needed to work on. It'll be a great spring for those guys."

The new man leading that group, Kevin Faulk, was promoted to running backs coach just over a week ago and Orgeron gave his thoughts on the move and how Faulk has done in his new role.

"Homerun hire," Orgeron said. "From his first day, we have a list of guys we invited for junior day and he was 100% on his guys attending junior day. He'll do a tremendous job for us in recruiting, the team gave him a standing ovation when we named him running backs coach. It's great for the state of Louisiana, great for LSU. Kevin's a force."

LSU also wrapped up its "Fourth Quarter" program recently, a string of preliminary workouts that sets the table for what spring ball will look like. Orgeron said one of the biggest revelations that came out of that series of workouts was the emergence of different players from a leadership standpoint.

"Guys like Myles Brennan, Andre Anthony, JaCoby Stevens, Damone Clark, Tyler Shelvin is doing a fantastic job and then the offensive line because those guys have got to come together," Orgeron said. "Ja'Marr Chase is doing some leadership, he's looked fantastic out there. We've got a good group but we've got to have guys step up and continue to lead throughout the spring."

Tide turned: Former LSU player predicts 'a lot more wins' for Tigers over Alabama

SDS Staff | 10 hours ago

In sports, no streak lasts forever.

In the LSU-Alabama rivalry, the Tigers won the “Game of the Century” regular-season showdown in 2011 only to then lose the next eight games (BCS rematch; 2012-18 regular-season meetings). On Nov. 9, 2019, the streak was snapped with the eventual national champions beating the Crimson Tide 46-41 in Tuscaloosa.

At last week’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, the 2020 NFL Draft class was often asked about the more memorable games and plays from the 2019 season. When Rashard Lawrence was asked about the future of the Tigers-Tide rivalry, he shared a bold prediction.

“We’re not used to beating ‘InbredGumps the last 7 or 8 years,” Lawrence told reporters, per Mike Rodak of AL.com. “So to get that back going, I think you’ll see a lot more wins for LSU over InbredGumps.”

LSU’s longest win streak over the Crimson Tide is five games (2003-07). Everyone on both sides of the rivalry is sure to circle Nov. 7 on this year’s calendar, when the rivalry renews in Death Valley. The last home win for LSU over Alabama came in the 2010 season, a 24-21 win for the Les Miles-coached Tigers.

Lawrence was just one of 16 former Tigers participating in the Combine. He’s confident LSU can reload.

“I think LSU is gonna be fine next year,” Lawrence said. “We have talent off the charts. Coach O, he loves to recruit and he loves to bring in the best coaches across America. They’ll be fine. There will be a little bit of [a difference] but guys will take over in leadership roles and step up.”

More thoughts from many of Lawrence’s teammates on the Tigers in 2020 can be found in Rodak’s article.

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

They have us losing to FL and Auburn and beating InbredGumps?  I don't get it

Yep, barn lost it’s starting OL, all 5 were Sr’s, plus the TE. They lost a ton on defense. Fla will be one I need to see operate. 

Myles Brennan is LSU's lead quarterback after years of patience; 'This is my team now'

cfpclemsonlsu.011420 HS 3221.JPG

LSU quarterback Myles Brennan (15) stretches on the field before kickoff between LSU and Clemson in the National Championship, Monday, January 13, 2020, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

The next LSU quarterback has been waiting in plain sight, an heir to Tiger Stadium's most lofty throne for quite some time.

Surely, it feels every bit like the four years it's been since Myles Brennan became the hand-picked recruit of former offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, an assistant coach who wouldn't last long enough in Baton Rouge to see his prized quarterback sign scholarship paperwork.

It's been three years since Brennan was retained in the dramatic transition of head coaching eras — the firing of Les Miles, the hiring of Ed Orgeron — and entered an uncertain future that was murkier than a stagnant swamp.

Brennan was among the images of hope back then. Remember? A potential savior from a series of sub-par signal-callers that plagued the Tigers' backfield throughout the previous decade.

He had the will, the arm, the pedigree for a rejuvenation story that would've been nothing short of poetic had it come to pass.

A blue-blood of Louisiana's restaurant royalty, Brennan is the descendant of an Irish family that filled the streets and sidewalks and alleyways of New Orleans' French Quarter with aromatic promises of Creole cuisine and Bananas Foster, the great grandson of Owen Brennan, the founding father of the Krewe of Bacchus.

Hurricane Katrina forced Brennan and his immediate family out of nearby Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, and he'd eventually shatter all of Mississippi's high school passing records, offering up similar promises for Louisianans who craved to win again.

Those years do seem so far away, walled off by the highlights and memories of the Ohio State graduate transfer who delivered LSU's fourth national championship instead.

There is no ill will shared between Brennan and his family against Joe Burrow, the eventual Heisman-winner whom Orgeron signed in the spring of 2018, back when Brennan believed he was the starter-to-be.

In the next two seasons, Brennan and Burrow became competitors, roommates on the road, friends.

But even in the days before LSU's championship win over Clemson in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, the backup quarterback was ready to resume what he'd been in pursuit of all along.

"This is my team now," Brennan told his father, Owen III. "I love Joe and Joe did his job. But the day after the national championship, it's my team."

And so it is.

Spring football has begun, and, for the first time in these long four years, Brennan appears to have earned the full confidence of Orgeron, who often said his patient player would be a championship quarterback in a matter of time.

"I expect Myles to explode," Orgeron said Wednesday. "I expect him to do all the things that he needs to do to be a great quarterback."

Questions, questions

Will Myles Brennan be the next Joe Burrow?

Some of you have asked a variation of that question, perhaps even in the minutes leading up to now.

Orgeron has already given an answer, albeit an expected one aimed to temper pressure and expectation.

"We want Myles to just be the best Myles Brennan," he said on national signing day.

There was already enough pressure and expectation when Brennan was sitting on the bench.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1