Gameday Tigers

OK to talk about the 2020 season now....

houtiger

Myles Brennan is LSU's lead quarterback after years of patience; 'This is my team now'

cfpclemsonlsu.011420 HS 3221.JPG

LSU quarterback Myles Brennan (15) stretches on the field before kickoff between LSU and Clemson in the National Championship, Monday, January 13, 2020, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

The next LSU quarterback has been waiting in plain sight, an heir to Tiger Stadium's most lofty throne for quite some time.

Surely, it feels every bit like the four years it's been since Myles Brennan became the hand-picked recruit of former offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, an assistant coach who wouldn't last long enough in Baton Rouge to see his prized quarterback sign scholarship paperwork.

It's been three years since Brennan was retained in the dramatic transition of head coaching eras — the firing of Les Miles, the hiring of Ed Orgeron — and entered an uncertain future that was murkier than a stagnant swamp.

Brennan was among the images of hope back then. Remember? A potential savior from a series of sub-par signal-callers that plagued the Tigers' backfield throughout the previous decade.

He had the will, the arm, the pedigree for a rejuvenation story that would've been nothing short of poetic had it come to pass.

A blue-blood of Louisiana's restaurant royalty, Brennan is the descendant of an Irish family that filled the streets and sidewalks and alleyways of New Orleans' French Quarter with aromatic promises of Creole cuisine and Bananas Foster, the great grandson of Owen Brennan, the founding father of the Krewe of Bacchus.

Hurricane Katrina forced Brennan and his immediate family out of nearby Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, and he'd eventually shatter all of Mississippi's high school passing records, offering up similar promises for Louisianans who craved to win again.

Those years do seem so far away, walled off by the highlights and memories of the Ohio State graduate transfer who delivered LSU's fourth national championship instead.

There is no ill will shared between Brennan and his family against Joe Burrow, the eventual Heisman-winner whom Orgeron signed in the spring of 2018, back when Brennan believed he was the starter-to-be.

In the next two seasons, Brennan and Burrow became competitors, roommates on the road, friends.

But even in the days before LSU's championship win over Clemson in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, the backup quarterback was ready to resume what he'd been in pursuit of all along.

"This is my team now," Brennan told his father, Owen III. "I love Joe and Joe did his job. But the day after the national championship, it's my team."

And so it is.

Spring football has begun, and, for the first time in these long four years, Brennan appears to have earned the full confidence of Orgeron, who often said his patient player would be a championship quarterback in a matter of time.

"I expect Myles to explode," Orgeron said Wednesday. "I expect him to do all the things that he needs to do to be a great quarterback."

Questions, questions

Will Myles Brennan be the next Joe Burrow?

Some of you have asked a variation of that question, perhaps even in the minutes leading up to now.

Orgeron has already given an answer, albeit an expected one aimed to temper pressure and expectation.

"We want Myles to just be the best Myles Brennan," he said on national signing day.

There was already enough pressure and expectation when Brennan was sitting on the bench.

By the end of his career, Brennan set more than 10 state records, including career passing yards (15,138) and career passing touchdowns (166) — records once held by Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre's nephew, Dylan.

"It was one of those things where it was, 'There's no way we're gonna break that record, it's stupid,'" Conides said. "And then we end up breaking the record."

'He believes in the process'

It was Tyler Allen's job to prepare his old teammate to be the starting quarterback at LSU in the summer of 2017.

Yes, the quarterback who started at Saint Stanislaus during Myles Brennan's freshman year, wound up getting hired by Cameron, then retained by Canada, as a student assistant at LSU.

Every day, for 45 minutes before lunchtime, Brennan went over to Allen's office and spent extra time learning LSU's new offensive playbook. A June arrival, it was going to take some cramming to beat out incumbent starter, Danny Etling, who had an underwhelming performance in 2016 season in which the Tigers went 8-4.

"He'd hammer everything he needed to know," said Allen, now a quarterbacks coach at Jacksonville State, "so when it came down for fall camp, he was ready to go and try and compete for the job and beat Danny out."

The tools and talent were there for Brennan once preseason camp began, but Orgeron ultimately sided with the experienced Etling, an investment of precaution in his true freshman quarterback.

"It would have been bad for Myles to go out there and then be awful and kind of ruin him for the future," Allen said.

Brennan still played sparingly in six games in 2017. He showed the most promise against Syracuse, going 4-of-6 passing for 75 yards in the 35-26 win in which he led the offense toward a touchdown on one drive and threw an interception on another.

His playing time dropped significantly once consistent Southeastern Conference play began, after he threw a late interception in LSU's notorious 24-21 upset against Troy.

Still, the opportunities were "good for his growth," Allen said, and, even after Orgeron and Canada mutually parted ways after the season, Brennan entered the spring of 2018 as the apparent front-runner for the starting job under the newly appointed Ensminger.

However, Orgeron declined to name a starter after spring practice concluded, saying no one between Brennan and former LSU quarterbacks Justin McMillan and Lowell Narcisse separated himself.

Orgeron then signed Burrow away from Ohio State, the beginning of a four-man quarterback battle that led to the transfers of McMillan and Narcisse.

That summer, Owen said, was "probably the most difficult time" for Brennan, an unexpected adversity that, in hindsight, no one can argue with given the results for the program.

And Brennan had time to further develop. He bulked up the 6-foot-5, 177-pound frame he entered college with up to over 200 pounds. He pushed an eventual Heisman Trophy winner behind-the-scenes, enough to earn Orgeron's attention.

"Everything's starting to click for him in his third year," Orgeron said in August. "I feel like if he were to come in at any time this year, we'll feel comfortable.

And Brennan played more than he ever had in 2019, appearing in 10 games, completing 24-of-40 passes for 353 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

"He looks way more comfortable than he did his freshman year in the pocket," Allen said. Brennan is confident in his decision-making — no longer throwing the football, then backing away from hits. 

It seemed a passing of the torch when Burrow exited late the Texas A&M game to a standing ovation, giving way to Brennan's 58-yard touchdown pass to Racey McMath.

Brennan and Burrow embraced on the sideline.

"Myles has said this many times himself: He believes in the process," Owen said. "He believes God has a plan, and he's sticking to it. That's the way he justifies it to himself: God is not giving me this talent and not going to let me shine... Truthfully, that's what he believes, and that's why I know it's about to happen. I know that he's about to show people that he's the real deal."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_043cf796-6008-11ea-9eb1-1bde226a5c66.html

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite offensive losses, Steve Ensminger says LSU isn't changing: 'We found what fits us'

1 of 2
br.lsuspringfootball.030820 TS 43.jpg
5e6466cf7feb4.image.jpg?resize=200%2C159

Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Steve Ensminger strides downfield, on the first day of LSU spring football practice at Charles McClendon Practice Field, Saturday, March 7, 2020.

• STAFF PHOTO BY TRAVIS SPRADLING

br.lsuspringfootball.030820 TS 553.jpg
5e646923a8a5d.image.jpg?crop=1618%2C858%2C73%2C0&resize=200%2C106&order=crop%2Cresize

LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, right, speaks to quarterback Myles Brennan (15) as new passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, left, looks on during spring football practice on Saturday, March 7, 2020.

• STAFF PHOTO BY TRAVIS SPRADLING

If anyone wonders whether the loss of a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback, first-round draft choices at wide receiver and tailback and the driving force behind the changes in LSU’s record-setting 2019 offense would have the Tigers reverting back to their once plodding offensive ways, Steve Ensminger has answer for you:

No.

“We’re not changing now,” LSU’s offensive coordinator said Monday night on the school’s in-house radio program, “LSU Sixty.” “We found what fits us. If we tweak it, it will be to try to make us better.”

The biggest shock of LSU’s 15-0 2019season was not the fact the Tigers could win their fourth national championship or even that quarterback Joe Burrow was the school’s first Heisman Trophy winner in 60 years.

It was the way LSU, for years a power-running based offense, switched over to multiple receiver sets and attacked defenses through the air. With new plays brought in by then passing game coordinator Joe Brady (now offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers), the Tigers smashed numerous school and national marks, scoring an FBS record 726 points and leading the nation in points and yards per game (48.4 and 568.5).

“Two years ago we never used five-man protections,” Ensminger said. “We use it 90 percent of the time now. We’re headed in the right direction and we’re not going to change.”

With Burrow, wide receiver Justin Jefferson and starting tailback Clyde Edwards-Helaire all taken in the first round of last week’s NFL draft among eight departed 2019 starters, the offensive task before LSU looks daunting. But that hasn’t stopped Ensminger from throwing down a challenge to his offensive players.

“I challenged out offense last year with the goal of being No. 1 in the country,” he said. “I challenged this group to break every record we set last year. I don’t know if we can achieve it, but we’re going to go after it.”

What Ensminger doesn’t want is for new starting quarterback Myles Brennan to try to be what Burrow was.

“I’ve told him, ‘You don’t have to be Joe Burrow. Just be the best Myles Brennan you can be and it will be good enough, I promise you,’ ” he said.

Ensminger said he has seen a lot of growth in Brennan as Burrow’s understudy.

“I think it’s his composure, competitiveness and his study of football,” he said. “I know he can throw the ball. In the three (spring) practices we had he was patient in the pocket and had a great demeanor, checking to plays and sliding the center to put us in the right protection. I look forward to him keeping it going.”

Ensminger said he anticipates a running back by committee approach to replacing Edwards-Helaire from sophomores Chris Curry, Tyrion Davis-Price and John Emery. As for finding someone to replace Jefferson at receiver alongside returning Biletnikoff Award winner Ja’Marr Chase and Terrace Marshall, Ensminger said senior Racey McMath “can have a breakthrough season.”

The Tigers were hampered by the fact they only got through three spring practice sessions before practices were shutdown by the coronavirus pandemic. But Ensminger said LSU has made good progress on offensive instillation with what is now eight hours of NCAA-permitted video meeting time per week.

“The last two weeks we installed red zone, tight zone, goal line (offense) and third downs,” Ensminger said. “We just need to come back in shape.”

image.png

image.png

LSU Football: Steve Ensminger expecting breakout season from senior

LSU football offensive coordinator is expecting a breakout season from one of the Tigers’ senior wide receivers.

LSU football offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger is expecting a breakout season from one of the the Tigers’ seniors.

Ensminger said on Monday evening that he believes wide receiver Racey McMath will have a breakout season for LSU in 2020.

McMath is a former three-star recruit that LSU signed out of New Orleans (Edna Karr) in 2017.

The Louisiana native didn’t see much action in 2017 and 2018, but he showed a lot of potential last season, playing behind Ja’Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson and Terrance Marshall Jr.

In 13 games last year, McMath caught 17 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns. The highlights of the season for McMath included a 60 yard touchdown reception from Joe Burrow against Mississippi State and a 58 yard touchdown reception from Myles Brennan against Texas A&M.

While there were a lot of targets to go around last year in the Tigers’ high octane offense, there weren’t enough to properly showcase McMath’s abilities. But Ensminger clearly saw enough in practice to be impressed with the rising senior.

Another reason Ensminger could believe a breakout season is in the works for McMath?

Buy Now!

Well, McMath probably saw a lot of second team reps in practice with Brennan, which likely gave the duo the chance to develop some important chemistry together.

That should help McMath’s chances to climb the depth chart.

Chase and Marshall will undoubtedly be the top two wide receivers for LSU in 2020.

Beyond that, though, it’s wide open.

McMath should have the advantage to be the Tigers’ No. 3 wide receiver, but he’ll face some stiff competition for that spot. Former four-star wide receivers Trey Palmer and Devonta Lee will be entering their second seasons with the program. Then there’s also true freshman Kayshon Boutte, a five-star recruit, who will battle for targets.

And we can’t forget about incoming five-star tight end Arik Gilbert, who will likely be used in a variety of ways in LSU’s offense.

(Side note: it’s insane how much talent LSU has right now, even with the losses they suffered this offseason.)

The Tigers probably won’t replicate their offensive success from 2019, but if McMath and others are able to step up, we should still see a very prolific offense in Baton Rouge in 2020.

Brennan will be a 4th year Jr., should be plenty of experience, and I think he looked good when he did get in to run the offense last year.  But, if he gets hurt, he is backed up by two true freshmen, Johnson and Finley.  Add a loss or two if anything happens to Brennan, IMO.

The LSU receivers improved a LOT from 2018 to 2019, in terms of catching the ball, eliminating drops.  We heard stories that they were tasked to catch 10,000 balls over the summer using the Jugs machine to throw.  Will that now be part of the "LSU standard of performance" in the summer?  Seems like it should be.  It worked.

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

...  Will that now be part of the "LSU standard of performance" in the summer? ...

Better be... if we are gonna have the same success.  Don’t forget the glasses and charting the catches and drops to see what kind of rout combo is best for the individual 

51 minutes ago, watson said:

Better be... if we are gonna have the same success.  Don’t forget the glasses and charting the catches and drops to see what kind of rout combo is best for the individual 

200 balls per day, caught over 50 days would do it.  That is a lot, but within the realm of reason.

Edited by houtiger

James Cregg looks ahead to 2020 position battles

ByBILLY EMBODY May 3, 12:50 PM 

LSU offensive line coach James Creggjoined 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge Off The Bench last week to talk about the outlook of the 2020 offensive line group, which has to rebuild after losing four of five starters off the National Championship team.

Here's some of what he said on some of the key players to watch, position battles and Harvard transfer Liam Shanahan.

On the center position: "There's some good guys. A guy, Chasen Hines. He played as a true freshman here. He came in the Auburn game in a critical game and he came in there as a young freshman not really knowing much, but he came in there and he battled. He battled in the Georgia game. Shoot, he played left guard for us in the Georgia game 2018 and he fought now. We got to get that fight back in him. I've really, really liked where he's going on right now.

"When we had those three practices, I liked where he was headed. There was signs he really showed me he can do it, but he's got to continue to fight, continue to prove himself and there's some good slew of young guys coming in and there's guys, Joseph Evans came over from defensive line. We got Charles Turner that was an IMG kid that's battling for it, but we got some good kids coming in too as well. Marlon Martinez is one guy I can see battling inside for that position too. It's going to be great competition and that's what it's all about."

On Dare Rosenthal"I tell you what, he's been phenomenal. The young man, he's in it. When we first got him, he was a little distant about not really knowing what was going on and all the sudden that light clicked in. Having that success of him going in that Mississippi State game last year, he played a little bit against Utah State and having success really triggers him to start to do the right things. I really, really feel good about Dare.

"He's just got to keep continuing to grow and one thing that I really like about Dare, he's real football savvy and smart. He understands football. He'll be telling Saahdiq what to do last year and Saahdiq would look back and say, 'Hey man, you shut up' (laughs). He's got that savvy and I'm fired up about Dare."

On Marcus Dumervil and a chance to contribute: "No question. I tell you what, it's funny. He's down there in South Florida and he and Marlon (Martinez), they're always working out together so they do drills together. They got their offensive line coach pushing them in the park and doing stuff. His dad's right out there with him, working him. To be quite honest, I have not see anybody work harder as two guys coming in as true freshmen than those two guys right there."

On signing Liam Shanahan"Obviously, when you lose Lloyd and you lose Saahdiq, you didn't really know number-wise, you were going to lose those guys at the time and we had one available and coach made a point to say, 'Let's look and see if there's any offensive linemen.' I wanted to get a certain guy in the room. Me in particular is I wanted to get a guy that sort of has a chip on his shoulder, smart, played some football and more of experience.

"We got relatively a young room besides Ed Ingram and Austin Deculus, we've got a lot of guys that haven't played a lot of football so I wanted to get somebody that had a little bit of edge and played some football and what's great with this portal thing is it's sort of like free agency in the NFL. The only thing is you don't get to work them out.

"I started talking to Liam a while back and we've had great conversations and I've had a great deal of success, I've coached at Colgate. I know what kind of kid comes from the Patriot League and the Ivy League. I know their work ethic, the way they approach the game and this kid just hit me the right way.

"What's neat about the deal is I ended up interviewing the offensive line coach and coach Moffitt got on there with the strength coach and we started formulating all the good things positive things about this kid. There wasn't one bad thing anybody said about this guy. This guy's a blue collar worker.

"He benches like over 400 pounds. He cleans over 350. He's going to be a good leader for these guys in the weight room. He's just going to be a role model for some of these younger guys. Everything's all about competition. We only had three guys coming in. We wanted to get a fourth cause we lost five and we wanted to get some guys coming in and contributing and pushing the rest of the group."

• Like 1

April 30, 2020.  Bill Busch, I keep seeing his name when we have gotten some top recruits committed to LSU.  He mentions he coached Joe Burrow's two older brothers at Nebraska, been friends with Jimmy Burrow for 20 years.  Bill eventually gets around to talking about safeties.  I was afraid he may go with Aranda, but he stayed at LSU.

LSU Football: Analyst views Myles Brennan as a lower tier QB

LSU football quarterback Myles Brennan before a game against Ole Miss (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

LSU football quarterback Myles Brennan before a game against Ole Piss (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

Myles Brennan will be LSU football’s starting quarterback in 2020.

Redshirt junior Myles Brennan has the unenviable task of following Joe Burrow as LSU football’s quarterback in 2020.

Brennan will inevitably be compared to Burrow all season, which isn’t fair. Burrow’s 2020 season was a once-in-a-lifetime season that surpassed any season from a SEC quarterback ever.

But while Brennan likely won’t replicate Burrow’s incredible 2019 season, he still has the tools to be a great quarterback for the Tigers.

Brennan has a stronger arm than Burrow, and he likely a learned a thing or two about leadership while sitting behind the former LSU quarterback for two years.

In fact, offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger hinted at that earlier this offseason.

“The best thing that happened to him (Brennan) was sitting in a room and watching film with Joe and studying Joe and everything else. I saw the difference in Myles Brennan in three practices this spring that I have not seen since he’s been here”, said Ensminger to 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge last month.

There are still some analysts, however, that are very much in wait-and-see mode with Brennan.

Buy Now!

247Sports national writer Charles Power, for example, recently put the expected top quarterbacks in the nation in various tiers.

Tier one included the usual names, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Trey Lance.

Brennan was placed in tier three, along with JT Daniels, Mac Jones, Adrian Martinez, etc.

Power didn’t necessarily put Brennan in tier three because he doesn’t think he’ll be good, he put him there because Brennan still has to “prove it”.

Which is completely true. Brennan has all the potential in the world. He has the ability to be great in Baton Rouge.

But he hasn’t proved a thing yet. And just because he’s on a team loaded with playmakers doesn’t mean Brennan can take anything for granted. He needs to use his status as a “tier three” quarterback as motivation to be great in 2020.

As Ed Orgeron has said several times this offseason, Myles Brennan just needs to focus on being the best Myles Brennan he can be.

• Like 1

Much of our success will rest with Brennan.  I think he can be good, and I hope very good.  He won't be Burrow, only one of those a decade or two.

But looking at his passes, he zips the ball well.  I saw him put it in a small window once.  I'm starting to get a good feeling about Brennan.  I think he will be good.

I'd be more concerned about who plays center and left tackle.  I'm not concerned about our guards, I think we have guys that will succeed there.

Losing all the starters we lost, and NFL caliber players, I thought last year was our year or else.

This coming season, I am feeling 10-2.  I think we can win one or two tough games, and I think we can lose one or two tough games.

Texas, Florida, InbredGumps, Auburn, and possibly aTm will be tough.  Jimbo is recruiting better than Sumlin and will be in his third season.  But if Jimbo still has to go with Kellen Mond at QB, I will take that as not a good sign, he has not yet developed his next star QB, unless Mond surprises me and takes a BIG step.

SDS Roundtable: LSU's over/under is 9.5 wins. How many games will the Tigers win in 2020?

Chris Wright | 30 minutes ago

Each SDS roundtable discussion involves the SDS staff providing individual answers and comments to questions covering a wide range of sports and non-sports topics. In this discussion, we ask the question: How many games will defending champion LSU win in 2020?

A bit of background …

Nobody has repeated as national champion since Alabama in 2011-12. Since then, Alabama and Clemson both made it back to the championship game to defend their title, but lost.

00:43
03:44

LSU will be the next to try.

Our friends at BetOnline.ag set the Tigers’ over/under win projection at 9.5. Is that too high? Too low? Our staff weighs in with how many regular-season games LSU will win in 2020.

Connor O’Gara, Senior national columnist

Over. I think LSU’s floor is higher than people realize. There seems to be a belief that the Tigers are destined to revert back to a 9-3 season with all of that turnover. I get that. But I also think they have one of the best defensive lines in America, and in an era when passing is king, they have the top pass-catcher and the top cover-man in the country. I’ll take my chances on LSU splitting those 4 SEC games vs. Alabama, at Florida, at Auburn and at Texas A&M. A 10-2 season would confirm my belief that the Tigers are yearly Playoff contenders from now on.

Michael Bratton, News editor

This is a stay-away for me. Many are predicting LSU to slide back to the pack, but I’m not convinced it happens. There’s still plenty of talent on that roster and Ed Orgeron has elevated himself into the conversation as the SEC’s best coach (keep in mind I’m talking about in 2020).

If I had to pick one side, though, I would take the under.

I’ve got LSU right at that 9.5 number as well, but when you consider the staff turnover after losing Joe Brady, switching not only from Dave Aranda to Bo Pelini but from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3 and LSU featuring a new starting quarterback next fall, losing spring football could affect the Tigers more than some others.

I’ve got LSU winning 9-10 games next season, but given the loss of spring, I’ll lean the under here.

Chris Marler, The SDS Podcast co-host

LSU, and specifically the LSU QB and LSU offense, were almost a running joke of underachievement for about a decade before last year. They return the 3rd fewest amount of production in the entire country, lost 14 players to the NFL Draft, and basically 1.5 coordinators with Dave Aranda and Joe Brady leaving.

I’m having a hard time believing that with the Tigers are getting to double-digit wins with all of that and the loss of a Heisman trophy winner with InbredGumps, Texas and Florida on the schedule.

Chris Wright, Executive editor

How often has a defending champion failed to reach 10 regular-season wins in the following season?

I’m glad you asked.

Not often is the general answer.

In the BCS/Playoff era (1998-), only 7 national champions failed to win 10 regular-season games the following season. The most recent was Auburn, which went 7-5 in 2011 after winning it all in 2010. That matched 2008 LSU for the fewest regular-season wins following a natty. Five other teams won 9 regular-season games in the year after.

In other words, nobody falls off the mountaintop.

Not everybody had LSU’s obstacles, however.

LSU just lost an SEC-record 14 players to the NFL Draft. Its new starting QB, Myles Brennan, has thrown all of 70 career passes. His second career start will come against nationally-ranked Texas. His first road start will be at Florida. Both opponents have Playoff aspirations and LSU didn’t exactly dominate either last year. LSU could have 2 losses before the SEC West gauntlet begins.

The over/under win projection is 9.5. I can’t see the Tigers winning 10 regular-season games, but they’re not going to fall far, either. I think 9-3 or even 8-4 is much more realistic.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:54 AM, houtiger said:

This coming season, I am feeling 10-2.  I think we can win one or two tough games, and I think we can lose one or two tough games.

Texas, Florida, InbredGumps, Auburn, and possibly aTm will be tough. 

I'll stick with 10-2.  We've recruited well the last 2 years.  We'll have to count on these guys to step up, but I think many of them are capable of stepping up.

Would I be shocked if we went 9-3?  No, not shocked, but a little disappointed.

If Brennan got hurt, and we had to play a true frosh QB, then 9-3 or 8-4 become a possibility. 

Ed Orgeron gives his take on what LSU is getting in Harvard graduate transfer Liam Shanahan

Michael Wayne Bratton | 31 minutes ago

This time last year, LSU had a major question mark when it came to the team’s offensive line. Of course, those questions were answered as the unit led the way for arguably the greatest offensive unit in college football history but now the LSU staff is dealing with the challenge of rebuilding the unit for the second offseason in a row.

To help that effort, the Tigers added an interesting addition this offseason via Harvard graduate transfer Liam Shanahan.

00:14
03:44

A first-team All-Ivy selection in 2019, Shanahan started every game for Harvard last season and made 30 total appearances during his time with the Crimson. Shanahan was a second-team All-Ivy selection in 2018.

Now he comes to Baton Rouge hoping to finish out his college career on the field for one of the best teams in the SEC.

How realistic is it that Shanahan makes an impact on the field for the Tigers in 2020?

Here’s what Ed Orgeron had to say in his first public comments regarding the graduate transfer from Harvard during a Tuesday appearance on ESPN Baton Rouge radio show “Off The Bench.”

“The young man from Harvard, first of all, he can play center, guard or tackle. That was very important for us, obviously,” Orgeron said of Shanahan. “We are very young at all three [positions]. Who knows, he may come in and start, but we brought him in so at least we could have a backup at those positions. We have some young freshmen coming in but we unstabilize at some spots, as far as depth. For sure, he can bring some depth for us.”

Based on that comment, if nothing else, LSU added some quality depth on the line of scrimmage by adding Shanahan. As anyone that knows SEC football will tell you, you can never have too much depth on the line of scrimmage in this league.

• Like 1