Gameday Tigers

OK to talk about the 2020 season now....

houtiger

Under-the-radar freshman could surprise for LSU football in 2020

by Zach Ragan1 day ago
LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU football’s 2020 signing class was one of the best in the nation.

LSU football‘s 2020 signing class, which was ranked No. 4 in the nation (247Sports composite), was loaded with plenty of talent that could contribute in a big way this upcoming season.

One of the reasons the Tigers’ class was ranked so high was five-star tight end Arik Gilbert, who was rated as the No. 5 overall recruit in the nation.

Gilbert is a freakish athlete who could immediately make an impact as a true freshman. He’s built like a tight end, but he can play like a wide receiver. He’s a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators.

Because of the presence of Gilbert, there’s one of LSU’s 2020 signees who’s being overlooked.

Three-star tight end Kole Taylor.

Taylor, a Colorado native, was one of the Tigers’ lower-rated signees in the 2020 class. He was rated above only three players that LSU signed during the last recruiting cycle.

But don’t let the rating fool you — he’s a talented kid. And Ed Orgeron brought him to Baton Rouge for a reason.

Buy Now!

Flying under the radar isn’t a bad thing for LSU football freshman

Taylor isn’t as athletic as Gilbert, but he’s still incredibly athletic for his size (6-foot-7). The former three-star recruit reportedly has a 32 inch vertical.

Not only is Taylor athletic, but he has good hands. He also has good body control, which is essential for tight ends.

A tight end can end up being a safety valve for a quarterback, which means they could often be on the receiving end of a bad throw (due to defensive pressure). That’s why body control is such an important attribute for a tight end.

I could see Taylor being used at the same time as Gilbert, which would create a matchup hell for opposing teams. Gilbert probably won’t be a decoy very often. But if LSU wants to put both tight ends on the field in a red zone or third down situation, they could probably steal an easy touchdown or first down with Taylor because of the presence of Gilbert.

247Sports reported this week that folks around LSU’s program expect Taylor to surprise this year. They also reported that Taylor “has a legit frame that he’s now bulking up”.

With Gilbert receiving all the attention, it should be easy for Taylor to keep his head down on focus on becoming a better player.

I don’t expect Taylor to be an All-SEC freshman team type player, but he could easily become a big part of the Tigers’ offense in 2020.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Opposing SEC coaches talk LSU, Myles Brennan

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Jun 29, 7:20 AM 

Undervalued once more despite last season's national championship, Ed Orgeron and the LSU Tigers will enter the 2020 season with a chip on its shoulder as the third-most likely team to win the SEC this fall. Most media media aren't taking LSU to reach the College Football Playoff and many are expecting drop-off after arguably the best campaign in program history.

Opposing coaches feel the same according to interviews with Lindy's Sports for its preseason preview.

"They knew they were losing some good players, but they've got a good roster," one coach said. "Comparing it to their magical year, you can't compare it to a magical year. No, they're not going to be what they were last year, but they've got good enough players and coaches to be LSU."

Motivation for Orgeron to use inside his locker room perhaps? LSU led all teams with 14 NFL Draft picks this spring, topping the previous program-record of nine selections in one year, which was done in both 2013 and 2014. 

The biggest loss was Heisman winner Joe Burrow, whose record-setting 5,671 yards passing and 60 touchdowns were jaw-dropping numbers for the No. 1 overall pick.

"Myles Brennan has got the talent, he just hasn't played very much. And it takes time in this league," another anonymous SEC coach told Lindy's Sports. "They are very solid at receiver. But there is only one guy that you have to know where he is on the field — Ja'Marr Chase. He's special.

"The return of Steve Ensminger as offensive coordinator was important. His fingerprints on that offense were grossly overshadowed.... (Former defensive coordinator Dave Aranda and new DC Bo Pelini) are great defensive minds, but different personalities. One coaches like the Pope. Another coaches like he's in a rock band."

Arik Gilbert and the Flex Tight End

By Max Toscano  Jun 24, 2020 

1203646951.0.jpgJamie Squire, Getty Images

So I’ll let you in on a little secret, tight ends don’t have to be just “tight ends” anymore. The position has evolved so much with the proliferation of the spread, that tight ends, if athletic enough, can essentially play both traditional tight end AND wide receiver. Not every tight end can do this, and not every tight end is in an offense that does this a ton (see George Kittle for that), but some of the more spread oriented minds in the NFL and college have revolutionized the position. In general terms, the flex tight end expands the matchup difficulty presented by a tight end. You don’t really want to split your linebackers out to cover receiver routes in space, and you don’t want your 195 pound corner getting absolutely bodied by a 250 pound lion of an athlete. 

Now, all offenses will split their tight ends into the slot at least a little bit, but in particular, the Chiefs take this a step further, lining Travis Kelce up at pretty much every receiver position. When you have a guy that big with that degree of ability to run routes, generate separation, and stretch the field, why wouldn’t you? 

Arik Gilbert arrives at LSU listed by 247 at 6’5, 253 pounds. In terms of frame and mass, he fits nicely, as a rising college FRESHMAN, into the size paradigm of NFL star tight ends. George Kittle sits at 6’4, 250, Zach Ertz at 6’5, 250, Mark Andrews at 6’5, 256, Travis Kelce at 6’5, 260. Arik Gilbert is no slouch athlete, and no slouch receiver, combining freak traits and production to the tune of 247’s best ever rating for a tight end. As much as we all love Thad Moss, he was limited as a downfield threat, being utilized in this offense primarily as a safety valve underneath or a quick game target, as well as an effective in-line blocker in the run game. Arik Gilbert is a completely different brand of player, someone you can essentially give any route to, whether it be Jefferson’s deep overs, JaMarr Chase’s X options, or Terrace Marshall’s sideline fades.

Gilbert_Kelce_Gilbert_basic.gif

This is just a little sample into Gilbert’s skillset, here he is running a basic route, which is just an in breaking route, common for slot receivers. He works effectively out of the slot and attacks the middle of the field well. If you really want to see the insane things he does, I suggest checking out his highlight tape because it looks like he’s playing with 7th graders.

Let’s take a look at the Chiefs to see exactly how Travis Kelce can serve as a blueprint for LSU’s usage of Gilbert

Gilbert_Kelce_seam.gif

So the best way to utilize an athletic tight end is to pop him up the seam on 4 verts. Honestly, it’s just the best play in football period. Now, LSU ran 4 verts this past year, but not actually all that much. With the addition of Gilbert, it’s something I’d like to see A LOT more. Here, Kelce has to make what is known as a “seam read.” If the defense has a high safety in the middle of the field, he bends his route underneath him, making it almost more of an over route. If, like in this case, he’s facing 2-high, he simply continues vertically to split the safeties. (Against 1-high he can stay vertical if the safety flies to the other side). This is a great way of adapting your concept, mid play, to the coverages you’re attacking. It’s just the best, easiest way to get your tight end down the field. 

A lot of times, you’ll get a defender trying to carry the TE’s seam route. If it’s a DB, he can body him and easily adjust to a back shoulder throw, his frame blocking the DB from having any chance on it. If it’s a linebacker, he can just dust him. That’s the matchup nightmare inherent to a big, athletic tight end. 

Here are a couple more examples of Kelce on 4 verts: 

Gilbert_Kelce_4_verts_Smith_hits_hill.gi

Here lined up in the slot to the field on their 3x1 4 verts (Chiefs most commonly run it from this alignment). The safety is reading Smith’s intentions, so he makes no effort to cap Kelce’s route and shades to the boundary, thus Kelce stays vertical. Alex Smith drops a dime, the safety never leaves his hash so the vert from the #3 is gonna be open, the read is correct by Smith, but Kelce was wide open too. 

Gilbert_Kelce_Seam_td_v_Tampa_2.gif

Here, lined up as a traditional tight end, he doesn’t have a MOF (middle of field) safety capping, and the defense is playing Tampa 2 (ILB carries the middle third of the field) so he stays vertical to split the coverage. 

Gilbert_Kelce_seam_read.gif

Your tight end, if he’s athletic and talented enough of a receiver, doesn’t have to be limited to the traditional tight end spot or slot. The Chiefs actually put Travis Kelce at X receiver quite a bit. This past year, LSU was pretty rigid with receiver roles, and the X was JaMarr Chase’s spot. I don’t expect to see Gilbert play the X if Chase is on campus, but it’s a creative way to force a corner to defend your 250 pound tight end, and shows the versatility of players like Kelce. Above is 4 verticals again, with Kelce making what is known as a “streak read.” This entails Kelce running 10 yards or so, and if he has vertical leverage, continuing, if not stopping and coming back for the ball. This is something done mostly with outside receivers.

On tape, you can see Travis Kelce running a lot of routes that LSU wide receivers run, which suggests to me that you can just sub Arik Gilbert in for a lot of these over the next few years. We’ve already seen 4 verts, which LSU has in the playbook, but there are a few more concepts run by the Chiefs that are familiar to LSU fans. 

Gilbert_Kelce_doubles.gif GIlbert_Kelce_lsu_doubles.gif

Here are the Chiefs and LSU running LSU’s favorite pass concept, doubles, with Travis Kelce playing Justin Jefferson. 

GIlbert_Kelce_slop.gif Gilbert_Kelce_CHASE.gif

Here are the Chiefs with Kelce and LSU with Chase running slot option to the boundary out of empty. The option receiver can break in or out based on defender leverage. 

Gilbert_Kelce_spear.gif GIlbert_Kelce_lsu_spear.gif

Here are the Chiefs and LSU running a concept known as “spear,” with Kelce and Chase at the X. LSU only ran this concept sparsely last year but I hope they run it more because it is a GREAT man beater. 

This all goes to show the versatility of the flex tight end, and how Arik Gilbert can fit into the system LSU runs. He is versatile and talented enough to run any wide receiver route in LSU’s playbook, and Travis Kelce is a great example of how such a player is able to run receiver routes and fit into a drop-back, spread passing game.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen this, sorry to see a 5* recruit leave after one year.  Sounds like a casualty of the switch from 3-4 to 4-3.  I guess its going to happen.

June 26, 2020

LSU sophomore linebacker MARCEL BROOKS has entered the NCAA's transfer portal.

Brooks appeared in 11 games as a reserve last season for the national champion Tigers, recording eight tackles and 1.5 sacks. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Brooks played mostly safety in 2019 but also showed promise in pass-rushing situations. LSU converted him to linebacker this spring to play in the scheme under new defensive coordinator Bo Pelini.

ESPN rated Brooks, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, as the No. 86 overall player and No. 12 Texas prospect in the 2019 recruiting class.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29371850/lsu-tigers-sophomore-lb-marcel-brooks-enters-transfer-portal

Speculation he will call Dave Aranda and see if he has a spot for Marcel, and petition the NCAA to let him play right away.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Suppose:

1. Myles Brennan has gained strength, matured as a player, has a good head on his shoulders, and while not quite as good as Burrow he lights it up week after week
  2. Coach Cregg finds some guys that can play on the o-line, finds a left tackle and a center, coaches them up through the first 5 games
  3. Racy McMath does a good impersonation of Justin Jefferson, and T. Marshall plays up to his full potential
  4. Arik Gilbert performs like a 5* freshman
  5. All 3 of our running backs are productive, can pass block, and catch a pass out of the backfield

This team should be a lot of fun to watch on offense.  It can happen.  Not saying it will, but it might.  Lot of question marks based on inexperience, but the talent is there and it could come in better than many think.  I'm getting an optimistic vibe in my bones, getting excited about the season, in case we have one this fall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LSU freshman TE Arik Gilbert named to Mackey Award watch list

usatsi_14447932.jpg?w=534&h=401&crop=1
4 hours ago

ADVERTISEMENT

The defending champion LSU Tigers had an opening at tight end in 2020 after Thaddeus Moss and Stephen Sullivan completed their collegiate careers and went on to the NFL.

Fortunately for LSU head coach Ed Orgeron, he had a pretty good replacement lined up. Arik Gilbert, the No. 5 overall player — and No. 1 tight end — in the 2020 recruiting class, per 247Sports, committed to the Tigers last October.

Gilbert also happens to be the highest-rated tight end in 247Sports history.

This week, Gilbert was named to the Mackey Award watch list. The Mackey Award is given annually to college football’s top tight end.

Gilbert has yet to play one snap of college football.

The Tigers are replacing a host of starters on the offensive side of the ball in 2020. Heisman-winning quarterback Joe Burrow is the most notable departure and he will be replaced by junior Myles Brennan.

Brennan will have plenty of talented weapons around him. Receivers Ja’Marr Chase and Terrace Marshall are arguably the best duo in the country. In Gilbert, Brennan has a tight end who can not only beat defenders down the field but become a safety valve in the short passing game, too.

Regardless of whether or not Gilbert wins the award, making the watch list ahead of his freshman season is indicative of the massive expectations he has before him.

• Like 1

47 scholarship players return for this season, players that have game experience. What the staff did, played for a 15 game season, at the same time, got players with in game experience. Sat players when needed, bumps and bruises, sit out. Let backups play. 
I truly hope we get a full season. I did get to sit down with a few folks that had made a few practices, before the Covid hit. All 4 that I talked with, liked what they saw in practice. Not to settle on a one hit wonder, but a continuation of what had worked. 
What Bo adds, is what O wants, pressure the QB. An attacking defense. 

Scott Linehan brings a wealth of knowledge. Steve will mesh what worked last season, but also take what Scott has in his years of experience. Scott likes a number of sets that involve two TE’s, some with two RB’s, neither being a FB. The two TE’s are ones that should give defenses fits. Do you put in personal for the TE’s in tight, or both split out wide? Too many things can be done within a formation with the personal we have at our disposal. 
I want to see what Cregg does with his OL. His 5 best players will be on the field. 

Lets get this Party started!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

"Not so fast my friend."

Sincerely,

COVID 19

I haven’t stopped, I can’t seem to catch it, wonder why? 

What’s really going on? 

Ive been all over before, during and after this has started. Just got back from Atlanta and Charleston, Sc. 
Am I immune, too fast for it? Not hanging out in the right places? 

Charleston is supposed to be a hotbed. 

Something is not adding up? 

3 SEC punters named to preseason watch list for Ray Guy Award

Adam Spencer | 12 minutes ago

SEC punters have won the last 2 Ray Guy awards, which is given annually to the best punter in all of college football.

In 2018, Texas A&M’s Braden Mann won the award. Then, in 2019, Kentucky’s Max Duffy kept the award in the SEC.

00:16
03:44

On Wednesday, the Ray Guy Award named 19 players to its 2020 preseason watch list, and 3 of them are SEC punters, including Duffy going for a second-straight trophy:

Georgia’s Jake Camarda and LSU’s Zach Von Rosenberg are the other 2 SEC punters on the preseason watch list.

The last back-to-back winner of the award was Utah’s Tom Hackett, who won the Ray Guy trophy in 2014 and 2015.

I know there is a lot of stress about whether we will actually have a season this year, but if it is cancelled the silver lining for me will be that I get an extra year to enjoy the greatest LSU football season ever.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Herb said:

I know there is a lot of stress about whether we will actually have a season this year, but if it is cancelled the silver lining for me will be that I get an extra year to enjoy the greatest LSU football season ever.

I have Auburn, InbredGumps, aTm, Georgia, and Clemson games on DVR, and i watch one a week.  If the Texas game comes on SECN I will record that one.  I have 2 "specials", one is 30 min. on the Clemson game, the other is one hour on the season.

But yes, if they had to pick a year to skip, this is the best one for us.

In the locker room right after the natty win, someone says "RB on one" and everyone responds "RB!", then they spell TIGERS.  Anyone know what RB stands for?

Edited by houtiger

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I have Auburn, InbredGumps, aTm, Georgia, and Clemson games on DVR, and i watch one a week.  If the Texas game comes on SECN I will record that one.  I have 2 "specials", one is 30 min. on the Clemson game, the other is one hour on the season.

In the locker room right after the natty win, someone says "RB on one" and everyone responds "RB!", then they spell TIGERS.  Anyone know what RB stands for?

I just texted a friend on the staff. That’s, “Heartbeat on one!”

I had forgotten you asked this, glad to get you an answer! 

• Like 1

Arik Gilbert named Gatorade Male High School Player of the Year

ByBILLY EMBODY 22 hours ago 

Former five-star tight end Arik Gilbert, the highest-rated tight end in 247Sports history, was named the Gatorade Male High School Player of the Year on Friday, Gatorade announced in a release. Gilbert enrolled at LSU in January and is poised to begin his freshman season.

Gilbert is the first tight end in history to win. UCONN signee Paige Bueckers is the 2020 Gatorade Female High School Athlete of the Year – the first female basketball player to win the award since 2014.

Historically, Gatorade reveals the winners at a special in-person ceremony. This year, the winners were surprised by a congratulations video from several pro athletes. Peyton ManningJJ WattTodd GurleyJoe BurrowMichael Thomas and George Kittle delivered the good news to Gilbert, while Sue Bird, Nneka Ogwumike, Brittney Griner and Karl-Anthony Townshelped surprise Bueckers.

Gilbert ranked on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 5 overall prospect in the country, No. 1 tight end in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in Georgia. The 6-5, 253-pound prospect picked the Tigers over Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and others when he committed in the fall out of Marietta High.

With the departure of tight ends Thad Moss and Stephen Sullivan, Gilbert is expected to factor in right away to a tight end room without a proven contributor on the roster. Jamal PettigrewTory Carter, Nick Storz and fellow freshman Kole Taylor are also expected to compete for the starting job.

Here's a look at his 247Sports scouting report from director of scouting Barton Simmons:

"Long-limbed, muscular, v-shaped athlete with a frame that can continue to add lean mass naturally. Rare body. Has played both sides of the ball for his high school and brings consistent effort in each role. Brings mismatch ability to the tight end position with both size and athleticism. Can play attached, split out as a wide receiver or as a 'move' tight end .

"Adequate hands and ball skills that have improved steadily over HS career. Can sink hips and change directions as a route-runner with receiver proficiency. Catches in traffic effectively. Highly competitive. Has elite verified combine athleticism.

"Once looked like a higher upside prospect at defensive end but has honed his offensive skill-set to become one of the most unique tight end prospects in years. Best tight end prospect we've seen since OJ Howard. Power five impact player on either side of the ball with first-round NFL Draft upside."

Gilbert and Bueckers beat out roughly 3.3 and 2.3 million other kids, respectively, who compete in the 12 Gatorade Player of the Year program sports. They will be featured in a special, advance flip-cover release for the September 2020 issue of Sports Illustrated.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:31 PM, houtiger said:

And if the season is indeed cancelled, we'll be reigning champions for another year.

• Thanks 1

LSU Tigers 2021 Quarterback Commit Garrett Nussmeier SI All-American Player Profile

Glen West

Jul 25, 2020

The first quarterback prospect to commit to the new look Tigers offense is Marcus High School product Garrett Nussmeier. One of the top pro style quarterbacks in the entire 2021 class, the commitment of Nussmeier marked what the program hopes can be sustainable change in the recruitment of quarterbacks.

Since announcing his commitment in May, Nussmeier has been one of the pillars of the class and has taken it upon himself to try and lure as many big time targets as he can. 

"Being a quarterback, you're almost like a step down to the coaching staff recruiting wise. They kind of tell you who we're looking at, who to go after so that's a lot of fun,” Nussmeier told LSUCountry a few weeks back. “Trying to help guys come play with us and we have a really good core of commits right now who do a great job of reaching out to guys. It's paying off and I think we're gonna come out with a really, really big class."

One such case was offensive tackle Garrett Dellinger, who committed to LSU on June 24. Nussmeier had been in Dellinger's ear for weeks about joining the LSU program. 

That meant a lot to Dellinger at the time and Nussmeier is excited to have an elite player added to the mix. With Dellinger now in place, the goal is to still try and bring a few more offensive linemen as well as another receiver to an already stacked class.

ADVERTISING

"It was really cool getting to know Garrett and kind of give him a pitch as to why you should choose us," Nussemeier said. "I'm really excited. He's a really, really good kid, a really, really good football player. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I'll have him protecting me for four years."

Already proving to be a leader in the class, here's Nussmeier's SI All-American player profile and scouting report.

Frame: Relatively tall with lean muscle build. Long arms with room to add weight in upper and lower half. 

Athleticism: Rock solid athlete with considerable mobility both in the pocket and out. Uses full body mass to generate deep power with efficiency. Can quick set with accuracy and flashes extreme comfort while throgin on the run, especially towards his right side. Can keep a defense honest with good instincts as a runner. 

Instincts: Willing to take risk with high trust rate among teammates. Enough raw arm strength and grit to push ball 60 yards through the air in an actual game from his own end zone. There’s a lack of panic in his game that players rally around, almost built for big moments. It helps when you can shorten an already quick release and manipulate the arm angle while on the move like he can. Willing to take the big hit to push the ball down the field. 

Polish: As mechanically sound as a prep passer can be when it comes to throwing the football. Strong footwork and a swift release makes for a true point guard on the football field. He can manipulate the speed and release point as needed. Stands tall in the pocket, occasionally extending the time needed to escape. 

Bottom Line: Nussmeier is a mature passing prospect with the mentality one would expect from an NFL and college coach’s son, but he counters it with a gunslinger’s DNA when the lights are bright. The combo makes for an ultra productive talent in the state of Texas who can challenge defenses to all three levels and from well beyond the pocket. As his physical maturity matches where he is between the ears, a starting Power Five caliber leader should emerge.

• Like 1

LSU reloading on offense: Ed Orgeron talks up his freshman class on the offensive side of the ball

Michael Wayne Bratton | 21 minutes ago

The talk all offseason when it comes to LSU’s football team has been all the star power lost this offseason in Baton Rouge but the way Ed Orgeron tells it, the next generation of Tigers that have arrived in Baton Rouge are poised to create legacies of their own starting this fall.

There’s no way LSU replaces the production lost when Joe Burrow exhausted his eligibility, as the reigning Heisman Trophy winner put together arguably the great individual season in college football history, but Orgeron and his LSU program have all the confidence in the world when it comes to Myles Brennan’s ability to step into the lineup and produce at a high level.

When it comes to the uncertainty behind Brennan on the QB depth chart in Baton Rouge, that’s a fair question to ask but Orgeron spoke highly of the two freshman quarterbacks LSU signed this offseason in Max Johnson and TJ Finley. If you were unaware, Max is the son of former NFL quarterback, Brad Johnson.

“Backing up Myles will be Max Johnson and TJ Finley. I really believe those two guys are very, very talented and are going to push Myles,” Orgeron said during a Wednesday virtual appearance speaking with the Rotary Club of Baton Rouge. “This is an open competition, Myles is going to have to earn the winning job but I think he’s going to do it. But that doesn’t mean the other guys can’t beat him out. So, it’s going to be great to see in August.”

FREE DOWNLOAD FROM SDS

Enter your email below and we will send you the LSU records graphic to be used for your phone background.

By adding your email address, you agree to receive emails with LSU football related news. You can unsubscribe at any time.

LSU-WallpaperMock-1.png

Arguably LSU’s biggest win on the recruiting trail last cycle came when the Tigers pulled off a stunning victory beating out Kirby Smart’s Georgia program and Nick Saban’s Alabama program for tight end, Arik Gilbert.

Prior to his public commitment to LSU, the Peach State native was expected to be picking between Georgia and Alabama. Both programs had big holes at the tight end position, but the opportunity to play in Baton Rouge was too much for Gilbert to pass up.

That’s something that has Orgeron smiling to this very day.

“Tremendous young man from Georgia, tremendous talent,” Orgeron said of Gilbert. “We going to play him at tight end, wide receiver. You are going to be excited to see him play. 6-foot-5, 250-pounds, very athletic, runs like a wide receiver.”

Losing Burrow is the departure most typically point to when discussing LSU entering the 2020 season but local Baton Rouge native Clyde Edwards-Helaire was the heart and soul of the Tigers offense in 2019. Replacing him will be incredibly difficult but Orgeron spoke very highly of the team’s most recent running back signee.

“I want you to remember this name now, Kevontre Bradford. He is a talented young man,” Orgeron commented.

Finally, after claiming the receivers his program is returning may be the best group in the nation, LSU’s coach talked up receiver signees Kayshon Boutte, Koy Moore and Alex Adams.

“I’m really excited, I get excited by a lot of things, but Kayshon Boutte, Koy Moore and Alex Adams. Three outstanding young receivers,” Orgeron concluded.

There has been a lot to be excited about in Baton Rouge in recent years but the best may be yet to come based on these comments from the leader of the LSU program.

Ed Orgeron on defensive changes, 'playing in a pasture' and more: Highlights from his Rotary Club appearance

BR.lsusigningday.020520. 0034 bf.jpg
LSU coach Ed Orgeron smiles while discussing the remainder of LSUÕs signing class during a press conference in the Lawton Room Wednesday Feb. 5, 2020, in Baton Rouge, La. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Jul 29, 2020 - 2:00 pm

Ed Orgeron's appearance with the Baton Rouge Rotary Club annually marks the beginning of football season. The novel coronavirus pushed the speech online this year, but through a screen in the football operations building, Orgeron still broke down LSU's roster and gave his outlook on the upcoming season.

Though the Southeastern Conference has not made a decision on football this fall, Orgeron said LSU continues to prepare for its season opener against UTSA. The team is scheduled to begin preseason camp Aug. 7.

Here are highlights from Orgeron's appearance with the Rotary Club.

On how the team adjusted during stay-at-home orders...

You know, with this, the times that we’re in with the COVID-19, our team didn’t blink. Our guys went home for about 11 weeks. Our coaches were home. We worked on Zoom meetings like we’re doing now. We gave them tips and reminders, daily.

Our guys were doing the drills on their own. Some of them were hitting the back of their shed. Making dents in the shed. Getting their momma mad at them. Some of them were pushing trucks up the hill. Bench pressing logs. Whatever it took, our guys did it. And our coaches kept on installing. Kept on football.

We had an academic task force led by (special assistant) Derek Ponamsky. He did a tremendous job keeping our guys eligible. So, we said "This is the hand we’re dealt with and we’re not going to blink."

Our guys came back (June 8). (Director of strength and conditioning) Tommy Moffitt has had six weeks with them. They’re in tremendous shape right now. We have a couple of guys who are overweight, but we’re going to get it down on them. I think our team right now is about ready to play, to be honest with you.

On defensive changes...

I’m so excited that (defensive coordinator) Bo Pelini chose to come back. As you know, Bo had some of the top defenses in the SEC and the country. We’re a 4-3 defense. We’re an attacking defense. I felt that this is what we needed to change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 because it fit our style and also fit our players.

You’re going to see more blitzes. You’re going to see safeties coming; corners coming; defensive line in the backfield; better pass rush; putting our athletes in space and letting them play. So I’m really excited about Bo Pelini.

On offensive continuity...

I’m really excited about (passing game coordinator) Scott Linehan. Joe Brady did a fantastic job for us. But let me make sure everybody knows this: (offensive coordinator) Steve Ensminger led this offense. Now, Joe Brady taught us the spread offense. Steve Ensminger led this offense and called about 70% of the plays. So, we have the same offense.

On LSU's approach during an uncertain season...

We get asked all about the time, "What about the season?" Well here's our mindset: obviously that's out of my control. I know what's in our control is we're going to prepare. We're preparing that we're going to kickoff Sept. 5.

I'll have our team ready. We're not going to blink, and we're not going to change our mindset. If they move it back, if they change it, who cares? It doesn't matter. You call us at midnight, we'll go play in the pasture.

On keeping players safe during the COVID-19 pandemic...

When the guys came back we tested everybody. We told them the protocols. We had Zoom meetings. We have rooms. Everybody wears a mask. And then we test our guys. Some guys got tested, not as many as they say, but we put them into quarantine. We put them by themselves. And anybody that's had contact, (senior associate athletic trainer Shelly Mullenix) and them trace everything.

We had a little spike, and then we came down. I think we have two guys right now that have the COVID. We feel that we've done very well. When we're practicing, we're practicing with masks on. The coaching staff masks in the office. I really think we've handled it about as well as anybody in the country.

On players opting out of the season because of health concerns...

I haven’t heard that. None of our players have talked about that. I know that they have the option. Our players are eager to play. These guys are elite. These guys want to win championships. They believe in each other. I don’t expect much of that to happen.

On learning from the 2019 championship season...

We’re always looking to get better. We analyzed our season. I think one of the things we need to get better at from last year is defense. We didn’t play good defense. That’s why Bo is here.

I do believe we’re able to use our athletes more to play better defense. There were too many points scored on us last year. I think you’re going to see a big improvement.

On the challenges of preparing freshmen this year....

First of all, we’ve had an advantage in that in the month of July we’re usually not practicing. These freshmen are getting more practices than any freshman group has ever had. They’re going to get about 12-13 practices that no other freshman group has ever had.

They’re getting indoctrinated, they’re getting acclimatized, they’re learning. I think walk-throughs and the meetings that have allowed them to see the older guys and how they do it has been very beneficial.

I expect a lot of freshmen will be playing this year.

On the recruiting impact of high school football cancellations...

It’s tough. Obviously I support high school teams playing. We have already evaluated the players off of junior film.

We have 16 commitments. If they don’t play, a guy who’s a marginal player or we have to see more of them, if he misses his senior season, he’s probably not going to get a scholarship to LSU.

On using technology to communicate...

“Well, I’m glad I have a lot of smart people working for me. They turn on the machine and I talk.”

• Like 1

I was talking with a Mom over here in Tx, her oldest is being recruited by a number of schools for soccer. She’s only a Jr, but the Covid has kind of messed up visits. 
I was texting a football staff member, he said both transfers had never taken a visit to LSU. Both had did the virtual tours, talking with O and staff. 

Oh, LSU is recruiting the daughter for soccer. 

In reply to the article just above, the long one by O, I have to admire his upbeat and optimistic outlook.  I am not sure how much help he gets covering the completeness of the program, but it looks very complete.  It sounds like they have organized player testing, COVID prevention, conditioning, coaching the offense and defense.  Others may be doing as well, but I doubt others are doing things a lot better than LSU.

Congrats to O and the staff for pulling together to address all the player needs!

• Like 1