Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

11 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Hou, 

for starters,  my lockdowns would be a lot more isolated vs wide spread country wide. 

we have the advantage of having a wide spread out country with a very diverse landscape.

How to isolate/lockdown an area with the population density of New York metro will be considerably different that of even upstate new york which is much more spread out and rural. 

The parades all happened prior to us knowing severity, so we can’t use hindsight on those. 

HOWEVER we do now know that area was basically a petri dish begging to be overflowing with it. Large numbers of people from around the globe squeezed together in a small area.   So NOLA gets a lockdown too.   But rural Sabine parish doesn’t get the same treatment, because they are so drastically different situations.

etc.  

I would not have based US projections on what happened in Italy (like was being screamed ad nauseam by the media) because again we are not very similar to each other. 
Italy is much more densely populated (532 per sq mi) than we are (90 people per sq mi). 

Bingo. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, Hou? The country does not = NYC. Hell, even LA is vastly different than NYC due to geographic size. 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

1. the top experts advising the president

2. We could have been better prepared

I wanna discuss this too. 

The top experts advising the president... have done a 180° in a matter of DAYS.  The damn surgeon general flat out said about 10 days ago saying masks don't help and may actually HURT asymptomatic individuals. didley-poo, of course.  Now he's saying we should all be wearing masks. 

#2... I'll just finish the sentence for you. 

...had the criminal W H O been honest instead of being in lock step with China. Both should be punished. The W H O shouldn't get a DIME from the US going forward. Instead we finance that criminal operation!

The W H O, of course,  is where the surgeon general got his didley-poo info. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Bingo. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, Hou? The country does not = NYC. Hell, even LA is vastly different than NYC due to geographic size. 

Just a reminder that it was governors who ordered the shutdowns, not the President.  It was recommended, but not ordered

1 minute ago, dachsie said:

For the record, I think the re-opening of America, may look like Nootch and Fish described

as it should.

there will be areas that just cannot open yet. 

But there are areas that could be open NOW. 

both types of areas would need to be monitored and situations would have to be fluid. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

as it should.

there will be areas that just cannot open yet. 

But there are areas that could be open NOW. 

both types of areas would need to be monitored and situations would have to be fluid. 

WAAAAAY too much common sense in that approach. 

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

The top experts advising the president... have done a 180° in a matter of DAYS.  The damn surgeon general flat out said about 10 days ago saying masks don't help and may actually HURT asymptomatic individuals. didley-poo, of course.  Now he's saying we should all be wearing masks. 

...had the criminal W H O been honest instead of being in lock step with China. Both should be punished. The W H O shouldn't get a DIME from the US going forward. Instead we finance that criminal operation!

Please someone double check my thought process.... china is into various departments (politics and tech) via monetary influence cough cough <bribes>.  So you have china influencing the WHO to say it’s not that bad of a virus, when it is.   Then china won’t let “American companies in china sell PPE gear to the USA... allegedly.  

https://www.dailywire.com/news/china-allegedly-blocked-u-s-companies-from-exporting-medical-safety-gear-as-pandemic-exploded-report-says?via=webuproar

Next china wants Italy to buy the PPE supplies they just donated.   

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-italy-coronavirus-supplies-buy-back

Several other events that china has done to the world and especially the USA does not have the friendliest of perceived intentions.  They, china, are hostile and do not have reciprocal intentions of good will, especially in view of their business rules to foreign “partners”... which we should be imposing on them in the USA.  

The USA must protect itself from china... especially monetarily.  The banks must be strengthened and the dollar.    

• Like 2

Now ever death can be wuflu, why?   Do the numbers have to be greater to say the administration is poor?   china and this hydrochloriquine halt by governors is the weirdest thing ever.   If hcq can’t be produced or other wise effectively fill the supply chain, that’s fine, but to not use it at all sounds stupid.   Why would a governor block this?

Im afraid politics has gone way too far in bitterness, hate and spite... all for power.   

None of this makes sense. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, watson said:

Now ever death can be wuflu, why?   Do the numbers have to be greater to say the administration is poor?   china and this hydrochloriquine halt by governors is the weirdest thing ever.   If hcq can’t be produced or other wise effectively fill the supply chain, that’s fine, but to not use it at all sounds stupid.   Why would a governor block this?

Im afraid politics has gone way too far in bitterness, hate and spite... all for power.   

None of this makes sense. 

It'll be like it has been. They'll say trump is reckless, a bigot/xenophobe/racist etc....

Then in a couple weeks they'll come out endorsing whatever he said a couple weeks prior like he never said it. Just like the China travel ban. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

You should look at the lies your President has said about Coronavirus and hold him to the same standard you hold the World Health Organization:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/

1 hour ago, Herb said:

You should look at the lies your President has said about Coronavirus and hold him to the same standard you hold the World Health Organization:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/

He's an idiot. I've never stated otherwise. 

But he happens to be right a lot. 

I read down to the part where it talked about suicides and then started giving the now faulty death numbers from Corona virus. The same people who gave those numbers changed them downward yesterday.  

That story you linked quotes the WHO too much. It only quotes one of their predictions per issue, although they change their predictions all the time. Kinda like  " Masks aren't helpful for asymptomatic people and may in fact be harmful" to now  "People need to be wearing masks if they're going outside".

I have never liked Trump as president.  That said, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, you can blame the democrats for him being the president. They ran Hillary Clinton against him in 2016 and are now running a sadly challenged Biden against him.

One thing I do like about him though. When he talks about looking into the WHO and how much we finance them, I believe it and believe he will do something about it.  I bet we wind up with a new surgeon general soon as well.

He can take his stimulus check and shove it up his ass though.  Instead I'll take a tax cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I'm not even a little political, I don't watch political news, but I can chop most of those "lies" up:

When: Friday, February 7, and Wednesday, February 19
The claim: The coronavirus would weaken “when we get into April, in the warmer weather—that has a very negative effect on that, and that type of a virus.”
The truth: It’s too early to tell if the virus’s spread will be dampened by warmer conditions. Respiratory viruses can be seasonal, but the World Health Organizationsays that the new coronavirus “can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather.”

this is a prediction. Predictions can absolutely be wrong, and this one may very well end up being wrong. But they by definition cannot be lies.

When: Thursday, February 27
The claim: The outbreak would be temporary: “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”
The truth: Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned days later that he was concerned that “as the next week or two or three go by, we’re going to see a lot more community-related cases.”

another prediction. one that is most likely accurate. considering literally every other pandemic in human history has pretty much disappeared once we get it figured out. 

When: Monday, March 23; Tuesday, March 24; and Sunday, March 29
The claim: If the economic shutdown continues, deaths by suicide “definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about” for COVID-19 deaths.
The truth: The White House now estimates that anywhere from 100,000 to 240,000 Americans could die from COVID-19. Other estimates have placed the number at 1.1 million to 1.2 million. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. But the number of people who died by suicide in 2017, for example, was roughly 47,000, nowhere near the COVID-19 estimates. Estimates of the mental-health toll of the Great Recession are mixed. A 2014 study tied more than 10,000 suicides in Europe and North America to the financial crisis. But a larger analysis in 2017 found that while the rate of suicide was increasing in the United States, the increase could not be directly tied to the recession and was attributable to broader socioeconomic conditions predating the downturn.

yet another prediction.  How the hell can this article call something a lie that they themselves do not yet know the outcome to?

When: Friday, March 13
The claim: Google engineers are building a website to help Americans determine whether they need testing for the coronavirus and to direct them to their nearest testing site.
The truth: The announcement was news to Google itself—the website Trump (and other administration officials) described was actually being built by Verily, a division of Alphabet, the parent company of Google.

seriously? Idid not see/hear that speech/interview/whatever, but this one seems like a relatively easy mistake to make. 
A lie is an intentional misleading or inaccuracy.

When: Tuesday, March 24, and Wednesday, March 25
The claim: The United States has outpaced South Korea’s COVID-19 testing: “We’re going up proportionally very rapidly,” Trump said during a Fox News town hall.
The truth: When the president made this claim, testing in the U.S. was severely lagging behind that in South Korea. As of March 25, South Korea had conducted about five times as many tests as a proportion of its population relative to the United States. For updated data from each country, see the COVID-19 Tracking Project and the database maintained by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Oooooh, we're going by per capita NOW? 
Why don't we use per capita in anything else? total case? deaths? etc.?
Because nobody every freaking does. That why.  

soooooo, TOTAL tests. just like we count TOTAL cases.

• Like 4

When: Monday, March 23; Tuesday, March 24; and Sunday, March 29
The claim: If the economic shutdown continues, deaths by suicide “definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about” for COVID-19 deaths.
The truth: The White House now estimates that anywhere from 100,000 to 240,000 Americans could die from COVID-19. Other estimates have placed the number at 1.1 million to 1.2 million. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. But the number of people who died by suicide in 2017, for example, was roughly 47,000, nowhere near the COVID-19 estimates. Estimates of the mental-health toll of the Great Recession are mixed. A 2014 study tied more than 10,000 suicides in Europe and North America to the financial crisis. But a larger analysis in 2017 found that while the rate of suicide was increasing in the United States, the increase could not be directly tied to the recession and was attributable to broader socioeconomic conditions predating the downturn.

newest model is out:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Projected American deaths is now 60,000.

47,000 average suicides. studies show an additional 10,000 possibly linked to financial crisis puts you at 57,000

sounds waaaaaay too close to call one direction r the other.

• Like 1

Cuomo (pretty sure has a (D) next to his name since (R) is frowned upon...)

"Governor Cuomo came out hard against the people spreading lies that they do not have the protective equipment they need saying, "We have enough PPE and the New York City officials say they have enough PPE for the New York hospitals." His panel confirmed they spoke with the hospitals directly and the NY Post article called, "Cuomo claims NYC hospitals have enough protective gear-nurses say he's lying," is not true.

Cuomo also verified President Trump's claim about ventilators. Trump said Cuomo has ventilators in a stockpile. Cuomo admitted he has them in a stockpile, but he insisted he's not sitting on them — rather, no hospital needs them!

No hospitals have called the state to request ventilators, according to Cuomo. He is still saying he needs 30,000 more, however, based on a projected need that may or may not become reality. The president and the governor seem to have worked out their tiff after a phone call and Cuomo now says he feels confident he will get the ventilators he needs now that Trump has forced GM to make the ventilators through the Defense Production Act."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

newest model is out:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Projected American deaths is now 60,000.

47,000 average suicides. studies show an additional 10,000 possibly linked to financial crisis puts you at 57,000

sounds waaaaaay too close to call one direction r the other.

It'll continue to drop

Almost like "disappear"

• Like 2