Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

On 4/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, Nutriaitch said:

you would have to look at long term averages per month of your typical health related deaths.

example (these are completely made up numbers)

Heart Disease - 1,500
Diabetes - 1,000
Auto-Immune - 2,500
Respiratory issues - 3,000

lets just say the above is the average month. that's 8,000 deaths.
if this month there are 9,000 deaths it's not because

CoronaVirus - 7,300
Heart Disease - 500
Diabete - 350
Auto Immune -425
Respiratory - 425

more likely it will be something closer along the lines of:
Corona - 1,000
Heart - 1,500
Diabetes - 1,000
Auto-Immune -2,500
Respiratory - 3,000

Those other issues didn't suddenly stop killing people. 

just to sort of clarify this using actual numbers I do have access to.

from 2014 through 2019, we averaged 12,090 pneumonia deaths per year for the first 3 weeks of March (Mar. 1 - Mar 21).
Low of 11,520 and High of 12,595, so relatively consistent for last 6 years.

this year however 9,537.

This number is simply out of whack. That is a 17% drop from the previous low number.
Prior to 2020, there was only an 8% from the highest to the lowest.

But now we have a drop of more than double that.
Which statistically speaking, isn't right.
And remember, by stopping Mar. 21, the effects of the social distancing and shutdowns hadn't kicked in yet, so that would have a very minimal effect on these numbers.

This is what I mean by at some point in the future the numbers will all be adjusted.
This pneumonia number will be adjusted upwards closer to the statistical averages.
Which in turn will also lower something else. Not saying it will necessarily be COVID that gets decreased , but something will.

the same will be done for other diseases that we know their historical averages.

NOW , most of these will be lower than normal, because we fully expect COVID to actually eat into some of these numbers as it does affect many of the same demographics of people. 

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

Good dude right there. Met him couple times.

He did an article on youth baseball many years back and interviewed and photoed my sons for it.

Do you follow him on Facebook?  He's been putting up the numbers he's getting.  I have enjoyed his stuff

Too early to declare victory.  Date is April 8.  I gave my email to NYT and have free access to limited articles, if you have it there is a good time lapse map of the infection spread at the link below.

Grace Rhodes was getting worried last month as she watched the coronavirus tear through New York and Chicago. But her 8,000-person hometown in Southern Illinois still had no reported cases, and her boss at her pharmacy job assured her: “It’ll never get here.”

Now it has. A new wave of coronavirus cases is spreading deep into rural corners of the country where people once hoped their communities might be shielded because of their isolation from hard-hit urban centers and the natural social distancing of life in the countryside.

The coronavirus has officially reached more than two-thirds of the country’s rural counties, with one in 10 reporting at least one death. Doctors and elected officials are warning that a late-arriving wave of illness could overwhelm rural communities that are older, poorer and sicker than much of the country, and already dangerously short on medical help.

Everybody never really thought it would get to us,” said Ms. Rhodes, 18, who is studying to become a nurse. “A lot of people are in denial.

With 42 states now urging people to stay at home, the last holdouts are the Republican governors of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa and Arkansas. Gov. Kristi Noem of South Dakota has suggested that the stricter measures violated personal liberties, and she said her state’s rural character made it better positioned to handle the outbreak.

“South Dakota is not New York City,” Ms. Noem said at a news conference last week.

But many rural doctors, leaders and health experts worry that is exactly where their communities are heading, and that they will have fewer hospital beds, ventilators and nurses to handle the onslaught.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/08/us/coronavirus-rural-america-cases.html

Our best hope is that the warm weather will kill off the virus.  Most doc I have heard do not know, but suspect it will recur in the fall.

Ton of good info at the Harvard site link is below:

April 8: Even as deaths mount, officials see signs pandemic’s toll may not match worst fears (Washington Post)

Although 1,800 people in the U.S. died from COVID-19 on April 7—the highest daily death toll so far—the number of new hospitalizations in New York, the state hardest hit by the virus, was starting to plateau. Some computer models suggested that the overall death toll from the disease in the U.S. will be lower than originally thought. But experts warned that the nation should not let up on social distancing anytime soon, because doing so could prompt infections to spike. They also said that states beyond New York could soon experience a surge in disease. “The pandemic is only just getting its boots on in other places,” said William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology. He said he is “incredibly anxious” about smaller communities around the nation, which have fewer resources than cities “and probably won’t be testing until too late.”

April 6: The covid-19 crisis is going to get much worse when it hits rural areas (Washington Post)

“It’s only a matter of time before the virus attacks small, often forgotten towns and rural counties. And that’s where this disease will hit hardest,” wrote Dean Michelle Williams, Bizu Gelaye, assistant professor in the Department of Epidemiology, and Emily M. Broad Leib of Harvard Law School in an opinion piece about the spread of COVID-19. They wrote that rural communities could fare worse than urban and suburban areas because they have older populations with poorer overall health; because many rural hospitals have closed and others are in dire financial straits; and rural counties don’t have many intensive care beds and may not have enough health care workers to care for an influx of patients. The authors recommended expanding telemedicine and social safety net programs to alleviate the burden on rural health systems.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/the-latest-on-the-coronavirus/

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Gates helped fund ($100 million) development of a vaccine for COVID-19 by Inovio, and it has been given to the first humans in the test phase.  He talks to the epidemiologists and researchers, and knows a lot more than us typical folks about COVID-19.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill-gates-says-hell-spend-billions-on-coronavirus-vaccine-development-2020-04-06

Edited by houtiger

That dude couldn't even keep viruses down on windows.  😂

That's a joke, but seriously, we're using bill gates to lead us through this shyte now? 

It ain't over, but it's going to be sooner and the death toll will be vastly lower than reported even yesterday. I'm certain the social distancing measures play a part in that, no doubt. 

But it is not so bad we can just destroy the economy over it, leading to far worse issues along the way. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

That dude couldn't even keep viruses down on windows.  😂

That's a joke, but seriously, we're using bill gates to lead us through this shyte now? 

It ain't over, but it's going to be sooner and the death toll will be vastly lower than reported even yesterday. I'm certain the social distancing measures play a part in that, no doubt. 

But it is not so bad we can just destroy the economy over it, leading to far worse issues along the way. 

In defense of Bill Gates, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has been focused on worldwide health issues for decades.  He has funded literally hundreds of millions of his own fortune dedicated to medical research.

The guy - like or not - is a true genius who has been keenly involved in medical research for 20+ years.

He is way more competent than most on this issue and has literally dedicated a fortune of his own money (plus donations from other billionaires like Warren Buffet) to fund medical research and to eradicate diseases like Polio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herb said:

In defense of Bill Gates, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has been focused on worldwide health issues for decades.  He has funded literally hundreds of millions of his own fortune dedicated to medical research.

The guy - like or not - is a true genius who has been keenly involved in medical research for 20+ years.

He is way more competent than most on this issue and has literally dedicated a fortune of his own money (plus donations from other billionaires like Warren Buffet) to fund medical research and to eradicate diseases like Polio.

I agree he is probably more equipped to lead us through this than the WHO or those that follow the WHO lead. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

Too early to declare victory.  Date is April 8.  I gave my email to NYT and have free access to limited articles, if you have it there is a good time lapse map of the infection spread at the link below.

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

With 42 states now urging people to stay at home, the last holdouts are the Republican governors of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa and Arkansas.

Hou, I know you didn't write this, but why did the above (BOLD RED) have to be included?

That stuff like this is almost constantly being included in reports is why so many people are saying this is all political.

Without this I would have no clue (nor would i care) what party any of those governors belong to.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Good dude right there. Met him couple times.

He did an article on youth baseball many years back and interviewed and photoed my sons for it.

and coincidentally, that article popped up on my memories this morning.
8 years ago today

461022_2016027857260_174107379_o.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

That stuff like this is almost constantly being included in reports is why so many people are saying this is all political.

Without this I would have no clue (nor would i care) what party any of those governors belong to.

Well, if you do the math the Republican governors don't add up to 8 (if we assume they are referring to 50 states) so they conveniently left some governors out. Who are the other 3?