Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

10 hours ago, Eq4bits said:

They are now counting the LA resident for here... other news... earlier today a LA vehicle ran the barricade on the txhwy21/la hwy 6 bridge, a ranger ran him down and got him stopped.... azzhole was sick sick sick with covid... ambulance was called and he was hauled to our hospital....

WTH??  Why didn't he go to Natchitoches?

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think I will watch a 2019 football game, those are pretty good!  It feels like an Alabama ass whipping kind of day!!! :LSU:        😀

LSU won again!!!  Good game, mostly.  We let them hang around, that's dangerous.  Anyone that thinks InbredGumps is on a decline is nuts.  They had 11 players drafted off the 2018 team that lost to Clemson in the natty.  Dylan Moses out for the season, he'll be back in 2020.  Don't know how good he'll be coming back from ACL though.  Najee Harris is scary good, #1 rated RB when he came out of high school, 6' 2", 230, fast, and showed he can catch.  He'll better, maybe the top back in the SEC.  Biggest question for them will be Mac Jones at QB, just don't know how he develops or if somebody passes him up before they play us.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 12:37 PM, houtiger said:

I think I will watch a 2019 football game, those are pretty good!  It feels like an Alabama ass whipping kind of day!!! :LSU:        😀

Hope you were sipping on an Old Fashion when you watched that old fashioned ass whipping. 33-13 at halftime. We had to threaten our players just to keep them interested in the second half.  😁

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Hope you were sipping on an Old Fashion when you watched that old fashioned ass whipping. 33-13 at halftime. We had to threaten our players just to keep them interested in the second half.  😁

I would liked to hear O's halftime speech.  When Saban walked off at halftime, they caught him for a few words, and he said they made too many mistakes, and they had to run the ball better.  They came out and ran the ball better.  I'm sure the one play he would like to have back was Tua's interception right before the half, that was a killer.  I thought it was a great play by Queen to slide over from his inside LB position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

And this play shortly thereafter was one of my favorite plays of the game!!!!!

It had to be shortly thereafter, there were only 11 seconds left on the clock after Queen intercepted!  Clyde showed how good a receiver he was, that is gonna help his draft stock.  After that game, O said Clyde was 6' 4" and weighed 270!  Burrow has said Clyde was his best friend on the team.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Coronavirus Kills More Americans in One Month Than the Flu Kills in One Year

ed40c0325194f3ed1644e50ebd40e635

Although there is still much we don’t know about the coronavirus, we know enough to say that it is far more dangerous and deadly than the flu. It took twelve months and 61 million infections for the H1N1 swine flu to kill 12,500 Americans in 2009–10. The Centers for Disease Control estimated that the seasonal flu killed 34,200 Americans during the 2018–19 flu season. In 2019, car crashes killed 38,800 Americans.

As for the new coronavirus? On March 20, the death toll in the United States was 225. By April 20, the coronavirus had killed more than 42,000 Americans.

Last week The New Atlantis produced a chart that starkly portrays just how quickly COVID-19 became one of the leading causes of death in the United States:

Despite the rapidity with which the coronavirus has killed tens of thousands of Americans, some on the right have continued to argue that the pandemic will end up being no more serious than a bad flu season. On Fox News last week, Bill Bennett said that “we’re going to have fewer fatalities from this than from the flu.” He pointed to the fact that the IMHE model from the University of Washington estimated that COVID-19 would most likely kill about 60,000 Americans and that the seasonal flu killed 61,000 Americans in 2017–18, a particularly bad flu season.

But as Rich Lowry pointed out last week, “if we are going to have 60,000 deaths with people not leaving their homes for more than a month, the number of deaths obviously would have been higher — much higher — if everyone had gone about business as usual.” Indeed, the IMHE model is making an estimate of the death toll only for a first wave of infections, and most of the country will still be vulnerable to infection after the first wave passes.

While there are 800,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States — that’s 0.24 percent of the U.S. population — former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb has noted that anywhere between 1 percent and 5 percent of Americans may have actually already been infected with the virus. But that’s far short of the 50 percent to 70 percent required to achieve herd immunity. The seasonal flu, by contrast, infected 12 percent of the American population last year because we have a flu vaccine and some more immunity from previous infections.

Not only does the new coronavirus have the potential to infect many more people than the seasonal flu does, it appears to kill a greater percentage of those infected. You don’t need to rely on various statistical models to come to that conclusion. You just have to look at the reality of what has already happened around the world and in our own country.

The seasonal flu kills 0.1 percent of people infected, but the new coronavirus has already killed 0.1 percent of the entire population of the state of New York. That may seem like a small percentage. But imagine the entire country getting hit as badly as New York state: 0.1 percent of the U.S. population is 330,000 people. And there’s no reason to believe that New York’s current death toll marks the upper limit of the virus’s lethality.

The Wall Street Journal reported that confirmed coronavirus cases in the Italian province of Bergamo (population 1.1 million) had killed 0.2 percent of the entire population in one month. The true percentage may be higher: There were 4,000 more deaths in Bergamo in March 2020 than the average number of deaths in March in recent years, but only 2,000 of those deaths were attributed to confirmed COVID-19 cases.

We are talking not about statistical models of what might happen in the future but about the reality of what has already happened. The virus has killed 100 Italian doctors. That doesn’t happen during a bad flu season. The virus has killed 30 employees of the New York City Police Department. That doesn’t happen during a bad flu season.

And then there’s the experience of China, where the official death toll in Wuhan is 2,500, according to the Communist regime. But there are reports that the true death toll in Wuhan (a city of 10 million) was more than 40,000 people. That’s 0.4 percent of the city’s entire population.

Almost all conservatives are skeptical of Communist China’s official coronavirus death toll. Why, then, do some think that the coronavirus is not much more deadly than the flu? Did Communist China, a regime not known for valuing human life, shut down much of its economy for a couple of months because of a bad flu? Or did Communist leaders fear that without the costly shutdown the virus would inflict much greater harm on their nation and threaten their grip on power?

You don’t have to have a Ph.D. in epidemiology to answer those questions.

No nation can afford to endure a lockdown until a vaccine is developed for the new coronavirus. But having a proper understanding of the virus’s past and present danger matters. Knowing that it is extremely unlikely that the threat will be gone once the first wave passes will help guide the government, businesses, and individuals to take precautions that will limit the virus’s death toll in the months to come.

LSU hopes to start phased return to campus around May 15 after coronavirus order expires

BR.empty LSU campus 006.JPG
5e823ab6df249.image.jpg?resize=200%2C133

Universities across the state have shifted to online classes, which is not as easy as it sounds. LSU starts today, March 30, 2020. LSU has been shut down a couple of weeks due to the Coronavirus.

STAFF PHOTO BY JOHN BALLANCE

A day after Gov. John Bel Edwards extended Louisiana's coronavirus stay-at-home order, LSU has announced it hopes to return to campus around May 15.

The new order is set to expire on May 15.

Interim LSU president Tom Galligan says the phased return would be "deliberate" and the university would be sure to follow state and federal guidelines. The full return could take "weeks or even months," he wrote.

"We must continue to follow the Governor’s orders and remember that Louisiana is one of the states that COVID-19 has hit the hardest," Galligan wrote. "What we’ve been doing has made a difference; I believe we have slowed the spread of this dangerous virus and helped to keep each other safe by staying home. Now let’s see this effort through and take heart that we are quite possibly turning the corner."

Some faculty and staff members will return to campus now, however, due to the governor's new order. Those members are part of research initiatives, Galligan said.

"Meanwhile, the Governor’s order did relax a few restrictions, giving us the opportunity to allow certain research initiatives to continue or restart based upon the plans previously submitted," Galligan wrote. "This will bring a handful of faculty and staff members back to campus now. "

Non essential employees have been working remotely.

image.png

• Like 1

Now that many cities, states, stores and restaurants are starting to open, have you made any change to your routine? 

Im holding off, not rushing into anything, going to let the smoke clear. Going to dip my foot in the water, before jumping into the pool. 

I did get a haircut yesterday, I called the girl that cuts my hair, asked if she could help, we were the only two in the place. 

What you say? 

Edited by LSUDad

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Now that many cities, states, stores and restaurants are starting to open, have you made any change to your routine? 
Im holding off, not rushing into anything, going to let the smoke clear. Going to dip my foot in the water, before jumping into the pool. 
I did get a haircut yesterday, I called the girl that cuts my hair, asked if she could help, we were the only two in the place. 
What you say? 

+1

Encouraging news on Remdesivir, but look closer and it was not that great.  Average hospital stay reduced from 15 days to 11 days.  In this trial it was given to already sick corona patients in the hospital.  Death rate was reduced from 11% to 8%.  Progress, but not that great IMO.  The earlier it is administered, the better the result.  There are not that many doses available nationwide, I think 140K, that's not very many.  Gilead is trying to ramp it up with partners, to be ready for the fall.  The second and better study concludes in late May, we'll see then.

My wife is supposed to get a haircut on Sat.  Her lady works alone and now only allows one customer at a time.  My wife will pay her for 2 haircuts, the one she missed and the one she gets.  Lady is a single mom.

My golf course is open, man I would like to play a round.  Son and his family coming for dinner tonight, that will be nice.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Going the DIY route either tomorrow or Saturday for a haircutt.

On state openings...wish people had the balls to open their own governors mansions and statehouses simultaneous to opening businesses. What better way to lead by example?

8 hours ago, LSUDad said:

i never had a routine. just kinda went with the flow.
I will say I'm loving having an excuse not to go to Walmart when my wife asks.

working from home most days. go to office couple times a week.
definitely need a haircut though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Cannot stand Walmart. Would rather stick needles in my eyes rather than go there.

I freaking HATE that place with a burning passion equaled by very few others.

not going there is literally the only part of this corona lock down didley-poo that I'm good with.