Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

11 minutes ago, Eq4bits said:

Million dollar question... is this due to the fact of more tests being available & administered or due to just more infected despite quarantine measures being used?

We will see a huge spike in positive tests due to processing productivity increases.   The self quarantining is gonna help a little.  

8 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

A combination of things. If you look, what we call quarantine and what the younger folks call it, that’s two different things. 

All the young adults partying on Florida beaches & St Simons Georgia are idiots. Its not a fugging hurricane! Maybe this damn virus is to weed out the stupid....

j/k but i had to say it

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eq4bits said:

Million dollar question... is this due to the fact of more tests being available & administered or due to just more infected despite quarantine measures being used?

Most likely due to more tests being given - more people have it than we know

Welp as set forth above looks like the malaria drug is being given a look:

BREAKING|239,367 views|Mar 19, 2020,12:02pm EDT

Updated: Trump Says FDA Approved Anti-Malaria Drug Chloroquine To Test As Coronavirus Treatment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/19/trump-says-fda-approved-anti-malaria-drug-chloroquine-to-test-as-coronavirus-treatment/#1b0866c303d9

6 hours ago, Eq4bits said:

All the young adults partying on Florida beaches & St Simons Georgia are idiots. Its not a fugging hurricane! Maybe this damn virus is to weed out the stupid....

j/k but i had to say it

Governor stepped in:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is shutting down spring-break festivities in his state amid the coronavirus pandemic and as footage trends of tourists and Floridians crowding beaches and concert venues. 

"The message I think for spring breakers is the party is over in Florida," DeSantis told "Fox and Friends" on Thursday morning.

"You're not going to be able to congregate on any beach in the state," he added. "Many of the hot spots that people like to go to, whether it's Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Clearwater Beach are closed entirely for the time being." 

On Tuesday, DeSantis banned gatherings with more than 10 people, closed bars and nightclubs for 30 days, and forced restaurants to shift to 50% capacity.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-florida-gov-ron-desantis-ends-spring-break-partying-2020-3

3 hours ago, dachsie said:

Most likely due to more tests being given - more people have it than we know

yep. 

think of it as a baseball player. 

if you throw him 10 pitches today and he hits 3. 

tomorrow you throw his 30 and he hits 10. 
he’s not suddenly 7 hits better. 
he just saw more pitches. 

basically what’s happening now in a ridiculously oversimplified way. 

Silver lining. Son lives in Houston and will be working from home for the foreseeable future. Cleared with boss that he can work from "home" here in Louisiana and is on his way here. Wife cooking crawfish étouffée tonight. Man I'm going to eat well this week.

I have been praying every single day and began a Novena this morning for everything related to this virus.  This virus is living proof that no matter how "advanced" we are as a civilization and despite all the technology we now have, life can be very tenuous as we know it. Personally (and to each his own) I find great comfort in my faith in times like these.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 4

The virus has me nervous, not about catching it, more about income.  I am still looking for a full time position.  Currently working a full time temp job in the hospitality industry and  have deemed I’m essential and have been working from home since Wednesday.  

On Thursday, had two interviews.  One had to be in person (due to the type of industry, I understand why), we maintained social distances.   The second was a two hour Skype interview with 6 people.   Praying that I find something soon.  

Sending love, prayers and virtual hugs to my GDT family.   

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 9:23 PM, LSUDad said:

Teva Pharmaceuticals is under scrutiny by DOJ for price fixing in the generics market.  I guess they are trying to curry favor with the US, maybe negotiating a lower settlement.  I guarantee this is not out of the goodness of their heart.  They have been ripping us off for years.

Nov. 26, 2019 - Federal prosecutors have been probing alleged generics price fixing for years, and, over the summer, lawmakers urged them to get moving with the investigation. Now, Teva and other drugmakers are in talks for possible settlements, a report says. 

Teva, Taro and other generic drug makers have been discussing possible settlements with federal prosecutors over the past six months, Bloomberg reports, citing people familiar with the discussions. Of course, the talks could still fail to yield deals, as the news service points out. 

A Teva representative told the news service the company is cooperating with the investigation and would be open to a deal it makes sense for shareholders and patients.  

<snip>

Aside from the federal investigation, Teva and other generic drug makers face a lawsuit from 48 state attorneys general alleging pricing collusion on hundreds of medicines over several years. States say the companies divided up markets and drove prices higher. Humana and UnitedHealthcare each piled on with their own lawsuits.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/feds-consider-deferred-prosecution-agreements-years-long-generics-price-fixing-probe

Where it says Teva is open to a deal, that's a tacit admission of guilt.  But, I would accept their chloroquine pills, and give them some credit for them in the settlement talks.  I would not forgive the price fixing.  Any port in a storm!

10 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

LA now under a state-wide stay at home order until April 12th. 

I saw a graphic yesterday that show the rate of infection in Louisiana is over 13% - highest in the nation.  Yes, even more than NY.  Less people but more percentage wise are  infected

16 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I saw a graphic yesterday that show the rate of infection in Louisiana is over 13% - highest in the nation.  Yes, even more than NY.  Less people but more percentage wise are  infected

that is the formula i’d like to see. 

13% of what (were not anywhere close to 13% of our population having it)? and how do they arrive at that percentage?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

that is the formula i’d like to see. 

13% of what (were not anywhere close to 13% of our population having it)? and how do they arrive at that percentage?

You are on to something, it’s going to come out. The more you know? 

As for now, this may help in the fight. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418/amp