Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

somewhere in the middle. 

this is the part that appears to have been completely forgotten by a HUGE chunk of this country. 

when i say this is an enormous overreaction, what people hear (including very close relatives of mine) is “ignore it”, “do absolutely nothing”, “bury our heads in the sand”. 

and that is simply not true. 

just like pretty much every other thing that has ever existed in our universe, there is a very large expanse between the two extremes. 

and just because you don’t want one extreme, does not necessarily mean the other extreme is the answer. 

right now there is a virus going around. and yes people are dying from this.
This does need to be taken seriously and protective measures do need to take place.

telling me i can’t have a fire in my own backyard without written permission from a fire chief does not in any way have any affect whatsoever on the spread of this virus. and is just plain fornicating stupid. but starting tomorrow, i’m under a burn ban to help control COVID-19.

seriously.

the answer is somewhere in between “nothing, it will blow over” and “OMG!!!!! close everything, lock it all down indefinitely, it’s the only way!!!!!!!!!”

12 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

this is the part that appears to have been completely forgotten by a HUGE chunk of this country. 

when i say this is an enormous overreaction, what people hear (including very close relatives of mine) is “ignore it”, “do absolutely nothing”, “bury our heads in the sand”. 

just like pretty much every other thing that has ever existed in our universe, there is a very large expanse between the two extremes. 

and just because you don’t want one extreme, does not necessarily mean the other extreme is the answer. 

This does need to be taken seriously and protective measures do need to take place.

telling me i can’t have a fire in my own backyard without written permission from a fire chief does not in any way have any affect whatsoever on the spread of this virus. and is just plain fornicating stupid. but starting tomorrow, i’m under a burn ban to help control COVID-19.

seriously.

the answer is somewhere in between “nothing, it will blow over” and “OMG!!!!! close everything, lock it all down indefinitely, it’s the only way!!!!!!!!!”

I'm so sick and tired of agreeing with you

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

seriously.

I don't get the fire ban either.  Only thing I could think of is to prevent the air from having particles in it since this is respiratory.  But even that doesn't make sense if you think about it.  The few people who may burn a fire wouldn't produce enough particulates to make any difference.  

51 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I don't get the fire ban either.  Only thing I could think of is to prevent the air from having particles in it since this is respiratory.  But even that doesn't make sense if you think about it.  The few people who may burn a fire wouldn't produce enough particulates to make any difference.  

we done left anything resembling "sense" a long time ago.
now we're just seeing how far into Dr. Seuss level ridiculousness we can go.

38 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Are we talking about a fire in your grill in your backyard?

i would have to look into the exact specifics, but typically grills used for cooking are listed as exceptions to burn bans. not always, but typically.

i have a fire pit.  round, roughly 2 foot across or so.

not under any trees, not close enough to catch anything else on fire, etc.

As of 8am this morning, I can't light it without a note.

Kinsa Health has a thermometer that reports temperatures back to them, they have 8 years of data.  They no what normal looks like, and what flu season looks like.  If you look at the map at the link below, on the "Atypical" setting on the right hand side of the map, Florida looks like it is heating up, at Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater and around Cocoa Beach, both spring break hotspots.

https://healthweather.us/

Southeast La. and Southeast Tx look like they are heating up.  New Orleans just had Mardi Gras on Feb. 25, a month ago.

Hou, don’t take this wrong, but i stopped reading when they contradicted themselves on the very first chart

13933BA6-313D-4CED-B1E8-19B217DA003F.jpeg

orange and red is observed, blue is expected. 

orange and red are clearly BELOW the blue. 

sentence says observed is higher than expected. 

which is literally the exact opposite of what their chart actually shows. 

yes, there was a brief stretch where it was higher, but the observed is dropping at a significantly faster rate than the expected (according to their own data). 

• Like 1

The data is the data.  Clearly for a couple of weeks, the temps were higher than normal.  That appears to be before all the lock downs started.  What the data suggests to me is that the lockdowns are working.  This is just one data item, temperature, and I don't think it is THE definitive study.  But the data could be explained by what is happening in the real world, the lockdowns.

This is the one for Clearwater, FL

image.png.8a6a286f6ec07433003cb7d7f6467740.png

Spring break, crowd on the beaches.  The proof will be if Florida in fact becomes a hot spot like NYC.

The hotspots are localized, the entire nation is not hot, yet.  Don't know if it will be.

Edited by houtiger

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

Southeast La. and Southeast Tx look like they are heating up.  New Orleans just had Mardi Gras on Feb. 25, a month ago.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 5.57.50 PM.png

am i just colorblind or something?

not a single county/parish in this map (dated yesterday) is "heating up"
in fact, just the opposite is happening in the VAST majority of them.

Note: I clicked Terrebonne just as a zoom in point.

18 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The data is the data.

correct.

I'm reading the data and not anyone else's interpretation of said data.

Trending DOWN is not heating up.  sorry if that goes against the narrative, but down (with some steady) is simply not up. never has been and never will be.

Based on our data, influenza-like illness levels in Terrebonne Parish are higher than what we’d expect at this time of year.

according to their own chart, 22 of the 38 data points (including the most recent) are within the "typical range"
Typical Range does not equal above average.

And just for shits and giggles, here is the entire state of Florida:Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.06.16 PM.png

literally every single county is trending downward

18 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The data is the data.

indeed it is.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 5.55.48 PM.png

I have a question, just my thinking. Could some states, hospitals, towns, just chalking up a death as Corona-virus caused? Raising the number, allowing to get more Federal dollars? Maybe so, maybe not? 

Edited by LSUDad

4 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

I have a question, just my thinking. Could some states, hospitals, towns, just chalking up a death as Corona-virus caused? Raising the number, allowing to get more Federal dollars? Maybe so, maybe not? 

I mean I'm nearly certain that's what got The Gambler last week

1 minute ago, Fishhead said:

Yep. Where he died, less than 30 mins from where my family lives. Sandy Springs, Ga. I just wonder how many, this virus is taking? I know less than the Flu.

The Gambler he broke even.

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Kenny Rogers’ Ex-Wife Reflects on His Health Decline Before Death: ‘He Felt Like His Life Was Over’

Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm·
Exclusive
kenny-rogers-wife-marianne-talks-health-decline-before-death

Bei/Shutterstock

Country music icon Kenny Rogers “felt like his life was over” before he died, his ex-wife Marianne Gordon exclusively tells Closer Weekly. “Our son [Chris] said he thought Kenny associated retirement with death,” the Hee Haw star, 74, reveals. “He was always so up and positive and then he was in a depression.”

More from Closer
Katie Holmes And Jamie Foxx Have Split!

More from Closer
‹‹
››
Katie Holmes And Jamie Foxx Have Split!

Marianne says for a person like Kenny, “who [was] positive and always up … to be down, even a little bit … you notice it,” she continues. “But he still had his sense of humor.”

The late “Coward of the County” crooner’s loved ones confirmed his death on social media on Saturday, March 21. “The Rogers family is sad to announce that Kenny Rogers passed away last night at 10:25 p.m. at the age of 81,” the statement read. “Rogers passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family.”

kenny rogers marianne gordon chris rogersBei/Shutterstock

Throughout their 16-year marriage from 1977 to 1993, and even leading up to his death, Marianne tells Closer the “Islands in the Stream” singer didn’t seem to take care of his health. “He also never exercised,” she adds.

“When I met him, he only played golf and we started playing tennis,” explains the Rosemary’s Baby actress, who welcomed her and Kenny’s only son, Chris Rogers, in 1982. “He was great about playing tennis, but then he wouldn’t exercise and doctors said he needed to.”

Marianne says the Grammy Award winner’s health was “never the same after” having to undergo “surgery on a heart valve” within the last few years. “He got an infection,” she reveals. “About two years ago, he had the surgery … that’s when he started going downhill. I don’t know if [his] body was strong enough to take it.”

The doting mom tells Closer she got word of Kenny’s death when her son, 38, called her with the sad news. “I knew that he was not in great health,” she says, adding that Kenny’s wife Wanda Miller called Chris and “wanted to tell him that things were not looking good and the end was near. I think they thought he had a couple more weeks, but he didn’t.”

Although Marianne and Chris weren’t there to say goodbye when Kenny died, the Georgia native says she believes “Wanda and his twin boys” were by his side. “I think they probably needed nurses with him and probably said maybe it’s a good idea to put him in the hospital, but decided to have him stay at home,” she notes.

kenny rogers marianne gordon 2005Bei/Shutterstock

Despite going separate ways with the Country Music Hall of Famer almost three decades ago, Marianne is still heartbroken over his unfortunate death. “He was an incredible person,” she gushes to Closer. “It’s very upsetting when I start talking about him … for 17 of 21 years, every day, he was so sweet.”

20 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

i wouldn't put it past anyone.

• Thanks 1

So I found out yesterday that my cousin and his wife got the virus up in Ketchum, Idaho.  They had 14 health workers get it up there as well.  They also think their son got it but he wasn't tested.  Chuck is pretty much over it and his wife is almost there.  Then I found out another cousin let her kid go play with a friend and the friend's mom is having symptoms.  I can't believe how incredibly stupid she was.  I told my aunt to tell them to stay away so they won't get it.  

Hope no one else is getting family members with it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

So I found out yesterday that my cousin and his wife got the virus up in Ketchum, Idaho.  They had 14 health workers get it up there as well.  They also think their son got it but he wasn't tested.  Chuck is pretty much over it and his wife is almost there.  Then I found out another cousin let her kid go play with a friend and the friend's mom is having symptoms.  I can't believe how incredibly stupid she was.  I told my aunt to tell them to stay away so they won't get it.  

Hope no one else is getting family members with it.

Can you find out what the  treatment that was used on them? Thanks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/entire-senior-home-new-jersey-94-people-presumed-have-coronavirus-n1168701

Entire senior home in New Jersey, 94 people, presumed to have coronavirus 

St. Joseph’s Senior  Home in Woodbridge already has 24 people who tested positive, with 70 more expected to also test positive.

A resident of St. Joseph's Senior Nursing Home in Woodbridge, New Jersey, being moved to another facility for treatment.A resident of St. Joseph's Senior Nursing Home in Woodbridge, New Jersey, being moved to another facility for treatment.NBC 4 New York
By David K. Li

An entire New Jersey nursing home is presumed to be infected with coronavirus, forcing everyone from the facility to be evacuated on Wednesday, officials said.

At least 24 of 94 residents and patients of St. Joseph’s Senior Home in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of Newark, have tested positive for coronavirus and the other 70 clients are also believed to have the virus, authorities said.

The first positive came back on March 17 and at least one positive test has come back "everyday thereafter," said John Hagerty, a spokesman for the city of Woodbridge.

NC_robot0324_1920x1080.focal-860x484.jpg

While not every patient has been tested, and not all results have returned yet, officials said they had no choice but to assume the worst.

"This is the presumption," Hagerty told NBC News. "That all have been exposed and would be positive."

And several workers at St. Joseph's, including a nun, also tested positive, leaving staffing shortages that forced Wednesday's move, according to CareOne, which runs a chain of senior facilities in New Jersey.

All of the St. Joseph's patients and residents were taken to CareOne at Hanover, in Whippany, about 30 miles away, on Wednesday.And to make room for the incoming St. Joseph's patients, all 61 people at CareOne had to be moved on Tuesday in a plan by developed state health authorities, a CareOne representative said Wednesday.

Thirty were transported to a CareOne facility in Morristown, 20 to Parsippany, 7 to Livingston and one more was hospitalized for a condition not related to the coronavirus, the CareOne rep.

"So (the St. Joseph's patients) tested positive, so they couldn't co-mingle" with the CareOne Hanover residents, the company rep said.

"The (CareOne) families were understanding. Certainly it was an inconvenience, but this is a national health emergency."

12 hours ago, COTiger said:

I guess calling it as it is isn't allowed in this thread.  On second thought, she does look like a dog.

I didn't see anyone disagree with you lol.  What are you talking about?  That it changed the word?  It does that automatically. 

fornicate

shyte

bloviator

femaledog

InbredGumps

Ole goldenshower

See?