Gameday Tigers

2020 NFL Draft, Tigers, Notes, Dates

LSUDad

Kristian Fulton's NFL draft slide finally ends with Titans pick: 'Best moment I ever had'

BR.lsuutahstatemain.100619 HS 2374.JPG
5d98db5dd0d65.image.jpg?crop=831%2C489%2C633%2C36&resize=200%2C118&order=crop%2Cresize

LSU cornerback Kristian Fulton (1) in the first half against Utah State.

HILARY SCHEINUK

Kristian Fulton's NFL draft slide finally ended on Friday in a Titans hat.

The LSU cornerback was a popular projection as a first-round pick but didn't hear his name called after 32 picks on Thursday. Fulton then waited through 29 picks of the second round before Tennessee sent in his name at No. 61 overall.

Fulton was the seventh former LSU player selected in the virtual NFL draft, with teams and players connecting from remote locations due to social distancing requirements enacted to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.

"It was the best moment I ever had," Fulton said of hearing his name alongside his family in New Orleans after the long wait.

One family member who wasn't present physically was Louis Fulton Jr., Kristian's grandfather who passed away recently after a battle with coronavirus. But he was there in a way, Kristian said. 

"I feel like he was watching over me the whole time. … He knew where I was going to be at," Fulton said. "Especially at Tennessee, I’m definitely going to pay my respects for him when I touch the field.”

The New Orleans native joins the Titans after a senior season that saw Fulton star in LSU's secondary, flying somewhat under the radar across from freshman sensation Derek Stingley Jr. and with safety Grant Delpit, the winner of the Jim Thorpe Award for the NCAA's top defensive back. Delpit also fell out of the first round, landing at No. 44 with the Cleveland Browns.

Fulton's slide was similar to former LSU cornerback Greedy Williams and running back Derrius Guice. Both were potential first-rounders but slid in their respective drafts. Williamson eventually went at No. 44 to the Cleveland Browns in 2019. Guice fell all the way to the Redskins at No. 59 in the 2018 draft. 

Fulton logged 14 passes defensed and an interception as the Tigers ran the table, including a pass defensed in each of the SEC Championship, Peach Bowl and College Football Playoff Championship victories. Fulton also logged six solo tackles in LSU's 42-25 win over Clemson.

The Archbishop Rummel alum was the only LSU defensive back to work out at the NFL combine, measuring in at 6-foot, 197 pounds and running a 4.46-second 40-yard dash. 

DRAFT STATUS 

• PICKED BY: Tennessee Titans
  • PICK: Round 2, 61 overall
  • LSU IN THE DRAFT: 7th former Tigers player taken

THE KRISTIAN FULTON FILE 

• HOMETOWN: New Orleans, Louisiana
  • HIGH SCHOOL: Archbishop Rummel High School
  • POSITION: CB
  • CLASS: Senior

2019 SEASON

• GAMES: 15
  • TACKLES: 38 (28 solo)
  • PASSES DEFENSED: 14
  • INTERCEPTION: 1
  • AWARDS: Second-Team All-SEC (AP)

Tennessee Titans select Kristian Fulton in 2nd round of 2020 NFL Draft

Michael Wayne Bratton | 12 hours ago

LSU’s incredible run of selections in the 2020 NFL Draft keeps on rolling as defensive back Kristian Fulton was just selected in the second round by Tennessee Titans with the No. 61 overall selection in the draft.

Fulton’s rise to become a second-round selection is the latest in arguably the best redemption story in the country as the former five-star recruit was suspended for two years by the NCAA after providing a false sample when tested for substance abuse early in his time at LSU. Instead of giving up on his dreams, Fulton remained positive and continued to fight to earn his way back on the team and eventually had his two-year suspension cut down to one year.

That was huge news for the Tigers as Fulton developed into one of the best cover corners in the SEC during the last two seasons playing in Dave Aranda’s defense. Fulton defended 20 passes, registered two interceptions and made 56 tackles during that time.

Now the No. 1 corner from the reigning national champions has become the latest in what is expected to be a long line of Tigers taken in the 2020 NFL Draft and the latest member of DBU to earn his way onto an NFL roster.

• Like 1

Jacob Phillips to Browns: LSU's top tackler joins Grant Delpit on SEC-packed Cleveland roster

BR.lsunwstatemain.091519 HS 2874.jpg
5d7eff7a4837b.image.jpg?resize=200%2C124

LSU linebacker Jacob Phillips (6) on the field in the first half against Northwestern State, Saturday, September 14, 2019, on LSU's campus in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

LSU's leading tackler is headed to join a few familiar SEC faces with the Cleveland Browns after Jacob Phillips' named was called at the tail-end of the third round.

The Browns selected Phillips with the No. 97 overall pick, a compensatory selection awarded to the Browns.

Phillips will join LSU teammate Grant Delpit with the Browns, who have spent all four of their picks on SEC players. Cleveland picked up Alabama OT Jedrick Wills in the first round and Missouri DT Jordan Elliott earlier in the third. 

He also joins former LSU cornerback Greedy Williams, and a pair of former LSU wide receivers in Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry.

Phillips marked the fifth former LSU player picked on Friday, marking the second consecutive the program had that many players drafted. The 10 total picks broke the program record that had been set at nine in the 2013 draft and matched the following year in 2014.

Phillips joined Delpit, Kristian Fulton, Damien Lewis and Lloyd Cushenberry as Day 2 picks, a day after Burrow, K'Lavon Chaisson, Justin Jefferson, Patrick Queen and Clyde Edwards-Helaire went off the board in the first round.  

The middle linebacker started all 15 games for LSU and logged 113 tackles (56 solo), including 8 apiece in both the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and the College Football Playoff Championship. He logged double-digit tackles in four games. 

The Nashville native measured 6-foot-3 and 229 pounds at the NFL Combine and showed off his athleticism with a 4.66-second 40-yard dash, a 39-inch vertical leap and 126-inch mark in the broad jump. 

DRAFT STATUS 

• PICKED BY: Cleveland Browns
  • PICK: Round 3, No. 97 overall
  • LSU IN THE DRAFT: xxth former Tigers taken
image.png.4967a9d72eb62022cb160a2aa7621228.png
5daba5eb9aab1.image.jpg?resize=200%2C126

THE JACOB PHILLIPS FILE 

• HOMETOWN: Nashville, Tennessee
  • HIGH SCHOOL: East Nashville
  • POSITION: LB
  • CLASS: Junior

2019 SEASON

• GAMES: 15
  • TACKLES: 113 (56 solo)
  • SACKS: 1
  • FORCED FUMBLE/RECOVERY: 1
  • Like 1

So SEC Network has a draft special going on right now.  What they are doing is having Nick Saban breaking down all of our plays in the NC against Clemson that. Burrow did.  I think he will spend all his quarantine time dissecting our season to be ready to play us again.  :lmao:

• Haha 1

Jacob Phillips was a very solid player for the Tigers, never got the acclaim that others achieved here.  He was a 4*, committed to Oklahoma IIRC.  O and Aranda turned him over to LSU.  He won a natty at LSU, would not have at OK.  I hope he has a good career in the NFL.

• Like 1

LSU WR Derrick Dillon quickly reaches UDFA deal with Giants after going undrafted: source

BR.lsuutahstatemain.100619 HS 2498.JPG
5d98db6079d1a.image.jpg?crop=1350%2C861%2C114%2C13&resize=200%2C128&order=crop%2Cresize

LSU wide receiver Derrick Dillon (19) runs on the field in the first half against Utah State, Saturday, October 5, 2019, at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Derrick Dillon is headed to play on Sundays after all.

The LSU wide receiver didn't hear his name in the 2020 NFL draft, but he quickly reached an undrafted free agent deal with the New York Giants, a source confirmed to The Advocate's Brooks Kubena

Dillon was lightly used in his final season at LSU, catching 15 passes for 202 yards and two touchdowns. 

2020 NFL Draft - 14 Picks Record

Football 4/25/2020 6:35:00 PM Todd Politz | Director of Digital Media

LSU Ties Record For Most NFL Draft Picks

BATON ROUGE -- The 2019 LSU Football team continued to show that is was, in fact, The Best Ever. Four more Tigers were selected in the final rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft, giving LSU an NCAA record-tying 14 selections in the seven-round "virtual draft" that concluded on Saturday.

LSU, which defeated Clemson in the College Football Playoff championship game on Jan. 13, opened the draft with No. 1 overall selection - Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Joe Burrow - on Thursday. A school-record five Tigers were selected in the first round, with five more coming off the board during Friday's second and third rounds.

On Saturday, LSU tied Ohio State's 2004 NFL Draft success (14 picks in seven rounds) with four more picks including offensive tackle Saahdiq Charles (Round 4, Washington Redskins), defensive tackle Rashard Lawrence(Round 4, Arizona Cardinals), long snapper Blake Ferguson (Round 6, Miami Dolphins) and tight end Stephen Sullivan (Round 7, Seattle Seahawks).

The final three Tigers selected on Saturday were seniors and four-year letterwinners who helped the Tigers win the program's fourth national championship. 

The all-time record for picks in a single NFL Draft is 17, set by Texas in 1984 when the NFL Draft was 17 rounds. Along with LSU in 2020 and Ohio State in 2004, USC also had 14 selections in 1975 (17 rounds).

2020 NFL Draft – LSU Draft Picks

Round Pick Player (Position) Team
1, 1 Joe Burrow (QB) Bengals
1, 20 K'Lavon Chaisson (OLB) Jaguars
1, 22 Justin Jefferson (WR) Vikings
1, 28 Patrick Queen (LB) Ravens
1, 32 Clyde Edwards-Helaire Chiefs 
2, 44 Grant Delpit (S) Browns
2, 61 Kristian Fulton (CB) Titans
3, 69 Damien Lewis (OG) Seahawks
3, 83 Lloyd Cushenberry III (C) Broncos
3, 97 Jacob Phillips (LB) Browns
4, 108 Saahdiq Charles (OT) Redskins
4, 131 Rashard Lawrence (DT) Cardinals 
6, 185 Blake Ferguson (LS) Dolphins 
7, 251 Stephen Sullivan (TE) Seahawks

LSU's Free Agent Signings (as of 6:45 p.m. CT on April 25; confirmed by player representatives)
Derrick Dillon (WR), Giants
Breiden Fehoko (DT), Chargers
Thaddeus Moss (TE), Redskins
Badara Traore (OT), Bears

PLAYERS MENTIONED

#9 Joe Burrow

QB   6' 4"   216 lbs   Senior

#18 K'Lavon Chaisson

OLB   6' 4"   250 lbs   Sophomore

#77 Saahdiq Charles

OT   6' 4"   295 lbs   Junior

#7 Grant Delpit

S   6' 3"   203 lbs   Junior

#19 Derrick Dillon

WR   5' 11"   186 lbs   Senior

#22 Clyde Edwards-Helaire

RB   5' 8"   209 lbs   Junior

#91 Breiden Fehoko

DL   6' 2"   291 lbs   Senior

#48 Blake Ferguson

SNP   6' 3"   235 lbs   Senior

#1 Kristian Fulton

CB   6' 0"   200 lbs   Senior

#2 Justin Jefferson

WR   6' 3"   192 lbs   Junior

Adam Schefter explains why Joe Burrow is expected to compete right away for Bengals' starting job

Adam Spencer | 20 hours ago

The Cincinnati Bengals had the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and used that pick on LSU QB Joe Burrow.

The Bengals knew they were going to take Burrow for a few weeks, which gave them a huge advantage, as they were able to get Burrow his playbook and give him a head start learning the offense.

00:13
03:44

00:06

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Burrow is expected to compete for the starting job right away this season due to his comfort with the offense:

No. 1 overall pick Joe Burrow has been studying the Bengals’ offense for weeks now, and one source said that he is so far ahead that he will be able to challenge for the starting QB job right away.

Currently, the Bengals still have Andy Dalton on the roster, so Burrow will compete with Dalton for the starting job, unless Dalton is traded.

The hype will be big for Burrow whenever the 2020 season begins, so we’ll see if he can live up to expectations.

• Like 1

John Elway, Lloyd Cushenberry talk Broncos drafting Cushenberry

ByBILLY EMBODY Apr 24, 11:27 PM 

LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry went in the third round to the Denver Broncos and general manager John Elway was thrilled to take the National Champion with their pick.

"Lloyd Cushenberry is a strong, powerful center that we’ve drafted in the third round from LSU," Elway said in his tweet. "He gives great effort, is from a championship program and has outstanding leadership qualities."

When talking with reporters after being drafted, Cushenberry said he's excited to meet his teammates, even if he wanted to go a little higher.

"I can't wait to get up there and meet my new teammates and everyone [that's] a part of the organization," Cushenberry said Friday. "The future's bright for the Denver Broncos. I can't wait to be a part of it and try to do my part to get some wins.

"I was expecting to go a little bit higher [in the draft], but I'm glad to be a part of this organization now. It is what it is, and I'm happy to be a part of such a great group of people. I can't wait to get to Denver and just go to work."

Shortly after arriving at LSU, he learned to snap through his own research. After redshirting in 2016, he went on to start the final 28 games of his LSU career at center, winning a National Championship in the process.

"Shortly after I signed to go to LSU, I knew I was either going to play guard or center," Cushenberry said on a teleconference. "In high school, I played tackle, but didn't really have the height to play tackle at the next level so I definitely had to learn how to snap the ball. I never had. I just went on YouTube one day and found videos of old Washington Redskins O-line coach teaching people how to snap.

"Really just watched the video and right after that, went outside and started taking some snaps. After a while through a lot of repetitions, it just became a habit and I got it down pat."

On the basketball court, a point guard runs the calls and with a basketball family, the Dutchtown High product likens the center spot on the football field to the floor general spot on the hardwood.

"At center, it's the head guy. You're making the calls, making sure everything's straight and growing up, I was a huge basketball fan," Cushenberry said. "My whole family pretty much played basketball. I'm the first guy to really take football seriously. Now looking back and me playing center, it's like playing point guard.

"I love having that responsibility of communicating with everyone and having that burden on your shoulders to get everyone aligned and everything go accordingly."

• Like 1