Gameday Tigers

SOS Talks How Soon After The Smoke Clears, We Can Play

LSUDad

Steve Spurrier explains to Paul Finebaum how long it realistically would take to get teams ready to play

Adam Spencer | 60 minutes ago

Steve Spurrier knows his way around college football more than most, having coached in the Division I ranks for 26 seasons before retiring in 2015.

So, he knows more than most exactly how long it would take to get a team ready to play football at a high level.

00:26
03:44

00:09

On Tuesday, he joined “The Paul Finebaum Show” and discussed how many weeks coaches would need to get their teams ready to play if we do indeed have a 2020 season:

Legendary coach @SteveSpurrierUF joined me earlier and gave some insight into how long it should take to get a team ready to play

Embedded video

“Most all coaches would tell you that the staffs that have been there for 2, 3, 4 years or more that it’s not that big a deal not having spring football,” Spurrier said. “Maybe if you had competition at quarterback or some other positions, it would be important, but preseason, if you can get a month in before you play, I certainly think everyone would be capable of playing — maybe not quite their best, but pretty close to playing the best they can.

“Right now, I think that’s what we’re all hoping and praying that colleges can get 3-4 weeks of preseason and then, hopefully, we’ve gotta have fans in the stands. I don’t know how you play college football without the fans. They make it what it is. To me, that’s why it’s the greatest sport in the world. The fans talk about it year-round.”

Amen, coach! Let’s hope teams can indeed get some preseason work in and we have a 2020 season.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eq4bits said:

Will there be an increase of injuries due to shortened strength/conditioning? I would think so

LSU does as good a job with S&C, as anyone. Moffitt and Marucci has this section of the team ahead of the game. Most kids aren’t just sitting around. They get classes online, same with workouts. We need one good month, then freshmen arrive early August. Kids that age, can shorten the turnaround time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, LSUDad said:

LSU does as good a job with S&C, as anyone. Moffitt and Marucci has this section of the team ahead of the game. Most kids aren’t just sitting around. They get classes online, same with workouts. We need one good month, then freshmen arrive early August. Kids that age, can shorten the turnaround time. 

Moffitt puts in his two cents. 

LSU strength coach explains how long it would take Tigers to get ready for Week 1

Adam Spencer | 9 hours ago

The COVID-19 outbreak has cast a pall of uncertainly over all major sports, not just college football, but there has been a lot of discussion about the start of the 2020 campaign recently.

Many are wondering if things will start on time, which will likely depend on how quickly teams can get themselves ready to go this summer.

00:05
03:44

LSU strength coach Tommy Moffitt said on Monday that he thinks the Tigers would need a month to prepare for their first game (via The Advocate😞

“My biggest concern is player safety,” Moffitt said Monday night on LSU’s in-house radio show, “LSU Sixty.” “It’s my responsibility to make sure they’re in shape before we start any form of training camp.

“For me to do my job, I feel I would need at least a month to prepare.”

Will teams end up getting that much time or not? That remains to be seen, as there is no plan to resume football just yet.

However, it seems a month is a common choice for how long it will take to get players ready for action.