Gameday Tigers

Jabril Cox To LSU

LSUDad

Position - Linebacker  Height - 6-3  Weight - 233  Class - Junior  Hometown - Kansas City, Mo.

HIGH SCHOOL: Three-year starter and two-time captain for Raytown South under coach Nick Adkins...Dual-threat quarterback who also played wide receiver, linebacker, safety and cornerback in his career...Accounted for 3,107 yards of total offense and 31 touchdowns his senior year...Passed for 2,103 yards and 18 TDs while running for 1,004 yards and 13 scores...First team all-district honoree...All-conference first team quarterback as a junior when he passed for 1,300 yards and 17 TDs and rushed for 830 yards...All-conference first team linebacker as a sophomore with 101 tackles and 13 tackles for loss...Also had 509 receiving yards and nine touchdowns that year...Four-year starter for the basketball team.

PERSONAL: Majoring in psychology with a minor in business...Son of James and Lotu Cox of Kansas City, Mo...Family includes three brothers and three sisters...Younger brother, Jasir, joined him as a linebacker on the NDSU football team in 2018.

He looks plenty athletic, good size for a LB, and he looks like he's a smart guy.  One year to play, but I like the commitment.  We lost a lot of good linebackers, and this guy comes in with 3 years of experience, looks like a smart move to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

One of the successful transfer (JUCO) guys I remember was defensive lineman Claude Wroten, back in the early 2000's.  Became a second team all american, drafted by the Rams and played for them 2 years.

Speaking of transfers, anyone remember the names Rudy Harmon and Jimmy Williams? These have a little history to them. Hope I got the names right. 😂 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I surrender!  Ya got me.

SMU gets the Death Penalty. Both transferred to LSU. DB and LB. 

Another good transfer, he did his freshman year at LSU, transferred out, then transferred back to LSU, for his Jr and Sr years. 

Zach Mettinberger was a very good transfer.  Was on the team for 3 years, sat one year, started for two years.  He's still trying to get an NFL gig again.

Feb 26, 2020

Whatever becomes of Zach Mettenberger’s professional football career, no one can say he did not try.

The former Tennessee Titans quarterback is one of the senior – at 28 years old – and most high-profile players scheduled to compete in The Spring League, a four-team developmental circuit that is set to begin its fourth season March 7.

It will be the second go-round in this particular league (he also played in 2018) for Mettenberger, who also competed in the short-lived Alliance of American Football last year. It has been nearly three years since he was on an NFL roster.

“I get sweaty talking about it,” Mettenberger told YahooSports. “It’s hard. You work at something your whole life. You base your self-value on football and how you perform, and a lot of people only look at you as a football player. When you’re done, it’s a tough transition, and a lot of guys get depressed.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/zach-mettenberger-the-spring-league-take-two

• Like 2

LSU Football: Bo Pelini’s comments about Jabril Cox in 2019 are foretelling

by Zach Ragan

LSU football defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will have a new stud linebacker to use in his defense in 2020.

When Bo Pelini walked off the field on November 2, 2019 after his Youngstown State squad lost 56-17 to North Dakota State, he had no idea he’d be back in Baton Rouge in 2020 serving as LSU football’s defensive coordinator.

Pelini also had no idea that he’d get the chance to coach North Dakota State linebacker Jabril Cox, the former Missouri Valley Football Conference Defensive Player of the year, in 2020.

Which makes his comments on November 2 about Cox even more interesting.

After Youngstown State lost to North Dakota State, Pelini found Cox on the field simply to tell the All-American linebacker that he was a special player.

According to The Athletic, Pelini told Cox he was a NFL player. Pelini then told reporters “I think he’s really good in coverage. He’s a good open-field tackler.”

The former Youngstown State head coach added “Sometimes I don’t know what the NFL guys look for, but how you’d watch this kid on film and say that you don’t want this kid on your football team, I mean, you don’t know much about football if anybody says that”.

Less than a year after saying those words, Pelini will get the chance to have Cox on his team — over a thousand miles away in Baton Rouge.

Cox announced earlier this month that he’ll spend his final season of eligibility at LSU, where he’ll instantly be a key part of the Tigers’ defense.

Pelini has one of best defensive minds in college football. He knows how to use players in an aggressive way that maximizes their potential. Cox is already an incredibly gifted football player, but I think we’ll see him flourish under Pelini in the SEC.NEXT: 5 best uniform combinations in the SEC

With key linebackers like Patrick Queen and Jacob Phillips heading to the NFL, the presence of Cox will provide much needed experience and production for LSU in 2019.

• Like 3