Gameday Tigers

How does Joe Burrow look to you, compared to LSU QB's

houtiger

I'm impressed with Joe.  I think he legitimately beat out McMillan and Narcisse.  Going back to Matt Flynn, I think he is a lot like Flynn, but I think Joe is a better runner.  With only 2 scholly QB's on the team, we don't want to make the QB run a staple of the attack, but he can do it.  I think Mett had a stronger arm, and at times he put the ball into some amazingly small windows, but he benefited from a better receiving corp.  I think Joe is developing before our eyes, he's better now than against Miami, experience and confidence are good for anyone.  I think Joe mentally reads the defense better than anyone we've had at the spot since Flynn.  Joe also benefits from operating in the Ensminger offense, and regardless of what you think of Steve, it looks more diverse and opened up than anything we had under Miles OC's.  I like the job Steve is doing.  I think all of the receivers are developing, it is surprising that they needed to develop, but for the same reason I thought the best QB's would not come to LSU under Miles, perhaps the best receivers did not want to come here either, no QB to throw to them.  Yes, we got some big bodies, but how was their route running, and if the team was not going to pass much, how hard did you want to work in practice if you were not going to see the ball (and how many talented receivers left the program because of it?).

I think it is all going better.  New OC, new receivers coaches.  Receivers more engaged in the game because the ball can be spread around.  Design of the passing plays is better.  And Joe Burrow is the best overall QB since Matt Flynn, IMO.

We have played some real teams in Miami and Auburn.  This is not a case of "yea, but they haven't played anyone".  Now we enter the meat grinder part of the schedule.  Fla. is coming off a win over ranked Miss. St. with their great QB.  I think we should be favored over Fla., underdog to Ga., pick it with Miss. St., and underdog to Inbred Gumps.

The experience Joe has gained is necessary for him to stand up to this meat grinder next 4 games.  He is developing, he looks more relaxed and confident, and I like that.  I don't think we'll win all those games, but I don't think you can eliminate the possibility of us jumping up and surprising someone.

I picked this team 9-3 and I'll stand by that.  There were a lot of question marks, but I thought that not all of them would be answered in negative ways.  I thought some of our talent would step up and be pleasant surprises and keep us competitive against most top ranked teams.  I planned for us to lose to Ga. and Inbred Gumps, and split with Auburn and Miss St.  I hope for better.

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think it is all going better.  New OC, new receivers coaches.  Receivers more engaged in the game because the ball can be spread around.  Design of the passing plays is better.  And Joe Burrow is the best overall QB since Matt Flynn, IMO.

I like your comment on hime developing before our eyes. Very true.

We had a bad time as fans last year. After Miles was let go, it seemed like we got an honorable mention award for a coach instead of the second coming of Saban. We lost to Mississippi State, Troy, Bama, and lost a bowl game to ND.  Our recruiting haul was panned by experts...yada yada yada.

Then a funny thing happened in the offseason. Things started falling our way. We filled some holes with graduate transfers including a QB from Ohios State.

Joe Burrow has been the best medicine for LSU.  He has pumped this program with competence at the QB position that we have not seen in a long time. 

LSU grew as a result of the lumps we took last year. We're seeing a lot of moving parts starting to work as a machine, and man does it feel good. Burrow is a huge reason as to why LSU's offense is clicking.

What I love best about Burrow are his leadership intangibles starting with his humility and matter-of-fact demeanor. How many times do we see QBs act like they are the center of the universe and whose egos cannot fit through any doorway?  This guy just seems like a level headed straight shooter who understands what is probable and works within that framework.

This also is a huge factor in his success. He understands his limitations, stays inside of those limitations, and does not ever try anything unrealistic. It's really refreshing.

Also...thanks for finding us.  You have been missed.

Archived