Gameday Tigers

From The Start, #18, Matt Mauck

LSUDad

Former LSU football quarterback makes surprising revelation

Former LSU football quarterback Matt Mauck recently dished on his time in Baton Rouge.

Former LSU football quarterback Matt Mauck is one of three signal callers to lead the Tigers to a national championship this century (along with Matt Flynn and Joe Burrow).

Mauck was LSU’s starting quarterback in 2003 when the Tigers, led then by Nick Saban, beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

After the win against Oklahoma, Mauck, who was a redshirt junior, elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2004 NFL Draft. He was selected in the seventh round by the Denver Broncos.

Mauck only spent four years in the NFL (one with the Broncos and three with the Tennessee Titans). The former LSU standout eventually became a dentist in Colorado (where he still practices).

Recently, Mauck spoke with WAFB’s Jacques Doucet and revealed his biggest regret at LSU.

Mauck told Doucet that he should’ve returned for his senior season, because he felt the Tigers could’ve repeated as national champions.

"That's my one regret. I wish I would have. I really do."#LSU 2003 national championship QB Matt Mauck, years and years later, says he should've returned for his senior season.

"I think we would've potentially competed for the national championship again the next year."

Embedded video

Buy Now!

Marcus Randall ended up being LSU’s starting quarterback in 2004 (though Jamarcus Russell saw significant action, too).

The Tigers finished the season 9-3 (losing their Citrus Bowl game matchup to Iowa).

Had Mauck been the starter, perhaps LSU doesn’t lose 10-9 to Auburn. They still probably lose to Georgia, though (the Tigers lost that game 45-16….not sure Mauck would’ve made that big of a difference in that matchup).

That means LSU would’ve finished the season 10-1. That wouldn’t have been good enough to get the Tigers to the BCS Championship game (Oklahoma and USC, the two teams who met in the BCS championship game, were both undefeated….along with Auburn).

Ultimately, I don’t think Mauck’s decision altered LSU’s future. Saban was leaving for the NFL after the 2004 season either way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

They still probably lose to Georgia, though (the Tigers lost that game 45-16….not sure Mauck would’ve made that big of a difference in that matchup).

That game still gives me nightmares. Had a friend  at the game who called me from the stadium just before kickoff who predicted we would lose big. Remember him telling me how the crowd was unreal. 

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

That game still gives me nightmares. Had a friend  at the game who called me from the stadium just before kickoff who predicted we would lose big. Remember him telling me how the crowd was unreal. 

In the last 5 games Vs UGA, we are 4-1, the average score 35-19, so looks like Tigers got this. Overall, since we’ve been playing them through the years we are 18-13-1. 

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

In the last 5 games Vs UGA, we are 4-1, the average score 35-19, so looks like Tigers got this. Overall, since we’ve been playing them through the years we are 18-13-1. 

Yes we royally pissed them off in 2003 when we beat them twice. That's why they were laying in wait in 2004 'tween the hedges. One of the most arrogant fans I've ever encountered was a Georgia fan somebody brought to my tailgate in '03.  She was very rude with her comments and out of line. If she'd been a guy, I might have punched her in the mouth.  At first my wife was like " be nice", by the end of the tailgate it was "you gonna let her talk like that aboutt he Tigers!"  Made sure I knew where she would be after the game and could not wait to find.  BIGGEST sore loser you ever met.  Don't know many Georgia fans but if they are mostly like her, not impressed.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes we royally pissed them off in 2003 when we beat them twice. That's why they were laying in wait in 2004 'tween the hedges. One of the most arrogant fans I've ever encountered was a Georgia fan somebody brought to my tailgate in '03.  She was very rude with her comments and out of line. If she'd been a guy, I might have punched her in the mouth.  At first my wife was like " be nice", by the end of the tailgate it was "you gonna let her talk like that aboutt he Tigers!"  Made sure I knew where she would be after the game and could not wait to find.  BIGGEST sore loser you ever met.  Don't know many Georgia fans but if they are mostly like her, not impressed.

My family lives in Ga, I’ll be there in June, for about almost a month. I wear LSU all the time up there, just to pi$$ off the folks up there. 
That second beating of UGA, my brother-in-Law called me a few days before. Asked my thoughts, I told him, from Jimbo, he said we are going to kill them. The team had listen to UGA players saying we were luck to win. Jimbo knew we missed on a few plays. My family reserved a table at a bar they know the owner. They were the only folks with P&G, he bet just about everyone in the place, after listening to them run their mouth. Bought a round for everyone, using their money. He walked away with a handful of cash. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 11:36 PM, LSUDad said:

They still probably lose to Georgia, though (the Tigers lost that game 45-16….not sure Mauck would’ve made that big of a difference in that matchup).

tough to say really.

early that year we really struggled to find the right rotation/mixture of Randall and Russell.  Team chemistry was funky as hell too.
Maybe with a veteran that absolutely was the leader of the team, thing would have been completely different.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:42 AM, Hatchertiger said:

Had a friend  at the game who called me from the stadium just before kickoff who predicted we would lose big.

I had 2 people tell me the same thing about the 2007 National championship against Ohio State at a Christmas party in 2007.

My bet with them was simple: no point spread but whoever's team lost the game had to stand on a chair at the next Christmas Party and sing the Alma Mater of the opposing team.  Man it was good to see those 2 get up and sing "Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls...". My wife said afterwards that she had never seen a smile that wide on my face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1