Gameday Tigers

Back In? Neil Farrell

LSUDad

LSU lineman Neil Farrell expected to opt back in for the coming season

Michael Wayne Bratton | 5 minutes ago

Good news for LSU on Monday as senior defensive lineman Neil Farrell Jr. is expected to opt back in down in Baton Rouge.

There is speculation that fellow lineman Tyler Shelvin could also opt back in but that news has not yet been confirmed.

News of Farrell’s return to LSU was first reported by Brody Miller of The Athletic.

Farrell appeared in all 14 games for LSU last season, starting three games. With the Tigers transition from Dave Aranda’s 3-4 defense to Bo Pelini’s 4-3 defense this offseason, LSU could use all the quality linemen they can get heading into a 10-game SEC schedule.

Last season, Farrell registered 45 tackles (the most among all linemen on the team) with three sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss and four QB hurries.

Farrell originally opted out back on Aug. 8 and was the first Tiger to make that decision. Since that time, LSU has suffered opt-outs from receiver Ja’Marr Chase, defensive back Kary Vincent and Shelvin.

Edited by LSUDad

More:

REPORT: LSU DT Neil Farrell opts back in for 2020 season

REPORT: LSU DT Neil Farrell opts back in for 2020 season

LSU defensive lineman Neil Farrell (No. 92) (Source: Josh Auzenne/WAFB-TV) 
By Josh Auzenne | September 14, 2020 at 5:17 PM CDT - Updated September 14 at 6:28 PM 

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - LSU defensive lineman Neil Farrell, who became the first Tiger football player to opt out, has returned to the team, according to Brody Miller with The Athletic.

Farrell posted a message on Twitter on Monday, September 14 that could possibly be interpreted as confirmation of his return.

Farrell opted out in early August while his grandmother was battling COVID-19 and in the hospital but he recently tweeted she is improving and doing better. He also admitted he has missed football. 

The 6-foot-4, 298-pounder from Mobile, Ala., led all LSU defensive lineman with 46 tackles, seven for loss, and three sacks.

• Like 1

Shelvin is allegedly considering opting back in. However, DandyDon.com is reporting today that there has not been official contact with him:

The news could get better, as reports indicate that Tyler Shelvin is also considering opting back in. However, an LSU source told me yesterday evening that they had not spoken to Shelvin about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

One thing Farrell, and Shelvin if he opts back in, brings to the table is experience and you can't coach experience.

Farrell was an easy back into the program. Shelvin has more to do, to get back in. Remember when a player opts out, LSU still honors their Scholarship, they still allow them to finish up their schooling. The finishing adds to numbers, this comes into play in a few ways. 
So yes, an opt out player, still is encouraged to continue their education. 

Looking at the numbers, we have around 15 Sr’s. We are 15 short this year. Then you have Jrs that could leave. Yep, looks like a probationary year. 

Just my personal opinion, Chase won the Belitnichoff Award, he has proven elite skill, and I think if he works out this year at a combine training company, he will do fine in the draft next April, and he avoids the possibility of an injury that could cost him millions.  I understand that decision.

Shelvin on the other hand is an entirely different story.  We are not talking about an all american (yet), we are talking about a good d-lineman, who probably has an issue controlling his weight.  He played 2 seasons for LSU.  I think he would do better to come back to play for LSU, learn what he can from Pelini's 4-3 scheme, improve his skills, show he can control his weight, and try to make all american.  I think that would serve him much better going into the draft than working out at a combine prep place.  Aranda made a comment about Shelvin, he had the most dexterity Aranda had ever seen in a big man!  That's strong.  I think he could make all american, and keep it real fresh for the pro's just what he can do, by showing it on the field each week against top flight SEC competition.  Come on back Tyler!

• Like 1

More:

Ed Orgeron says another LSU defender has reached out about opting back in for 2020

SDS Staff | 37 minutes ago

On Tuesday, Ed Orgeron shared that LSU welcomed back defensive lineman Neil Farrell Jr., a senior who had previously opted-out. Orgeron shared that the Tigers could be getting more help on the defensive line.

In late August, Tyler Shelvin informed the coaching staff he was opting out of the 2020 season. Shelvin, a starter on LSU’s national championship squad, has reportedly reached out to his Tigers teammates while his family has had communication with Orgeron.

00:04
03:18

00:00

“His family has called me,” Orgeron said Tuesday, according to Shea Dixon of Geaux247. “I have not spoken to Tyler. I know some of his teammates are talking to him.”

As was the case with Farrell, Shelvin would be welcomed back.

“We’d take him back, obviously,” Orgeron said, per Brooks Kubena of The Advocate. “We want him back. I don’t know where he’s at in his mind. If he doesn’t want to come back, obviously we wish him the best. If he wants to come back, like any member of our family, we’ll take him back.”

Shelvin recorded 39 tackles (3 for a loss) and 2 pass breakups last season on the defensive line.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, houtiger said:

Just my personal opinion, Chase won the Belitnichoff Award, he has proven elite skill, and I think if he works out this year at a combine training company, he will do fine in the draft next April, and he avoids the possibility of an injury that could cost him millions.  I understand that decision.

Shelvin on the other hand is an entirely different story.  We are not talking about an all american (yet), we are talking about a good d-lineman, who probably has an issue controlling his weight.  He played 2 seasons for LSU.  I think he would do better to come back to play for LSU, learn what he can from Pelini's 4-3 scheme, improve his skills, show he can control his weight, and try to make all american.  I think that would serve him much better going into the draft than working out at a combine prep place.  Aranda made a comment about Shelvin, he had the most dexterity Aranda had ever seen in a big man!  That's strong.  I think he could make all american, and keep it real fresh for the pro's just what he can do, by showing it on the field each week against top flight SEC competition.  Come on back Tyler!

We had a discussion along these lines on FB.

I think if Shelvin stays "opted out" he likely will fall out the 1st day of the draft.  That could be worth millions of dollars even for his "rookie" contract that he would need to set the world on fire to recoup in his "free agency" contract.

As you note, his struggles with keeping his weight down will also benefit by having the staff stay on him.  If his weight balloons, he could risk becoming a very late round pick or an undrafted free agent. Again, that could mean millions.

What I read into Dad's comments here is that his grade situation could hinder his ability to "opt back in" if he changes his mind. Hopefully, he's been working out and keeping up with his grades.

But, college students will be college students and might not always make the best decisions.

Shelvin’s problems has stayed with him. I too think he should opt back in. He needs structure. You know he’s in the 300 lb range, that’s a big range. I agree Herb, weight will play a part, a big part. 
Playing under Bo, gives him experience in a 3-4 and a 4-3. NFL teams likes guys that can do both. There are a number of Tigers in the Pro’s that have seen coaches come in and move from a 3-4, 4-3. Kyle Williams and Bennie Logan are two that have made those transitions, adding to their value. 
Speaking of Bennie...

763F95F8-76B5-47B2-9E41-6B5ED9D02612.thumb.png.c2721b38aa3092e21df33ce029aa97dc.png

• Like 1

One of the things I have to remind myself about when players are evaluating whether to play, go pro etc. is the school part of the equation.  Some of these players may be barely cutting it in the classroom and that in part may drive their decision. No idea if that is the case for Shelvin.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

One of the things I have to remind myself about when players are evaluating whether to play, go pro etc. is the school part of the equation.  Some of these players may be barely cutting it in the classroom and that in part may drive their decision. No idea if that is the case for Shelvin.

Like I said, most of his problems are off the field.