Gameday Tigers

2 Point Conversion with Fish and Nootch

Fishhead

• Fishhead featured and pinned this topic

Once again, good job on the Podcast, I know some talk of Shelvin, this might answer a few questions. The majority of Shelvin’s problems, have been off the field. When called by NFL team representatives, a coach, being position, coordinator or head, must give truthful answers. I happened to be at one of those conversations, this was involving a former LSU player. The coach told the good and the bad. Oh, the NFL team did sign the Tiger. 
The coach told me, he was always honest, good or bad. 
Ok, Shelvin...

Shelvin releases statement on opting out of season

BySHEA DIXON 56 minutes ago 

It's now official

LSU redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin has decided to opt out of the 2020 season and prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft, he confirmed in a statement posted on his Twitter account.

"Over the last few weeks I have given much thought and consideration for my options," Shelvin said. "I had not planned to make a public statement but I feel it is necessary to address the rumors that have been circulating about me.

"With the ongoing nature of this pandemic and after consulting with my family, I am opting out of the 2020 season. I will also begin training for the NFL Combine as I prepare to enter the 2021 NFL Draft."

The news of Shelvin's decision to opt out first surfaced on August 31, but the past few weeks have brought chatter that Shelvin might decide to return to the team, though he squashed any possibility of that ahead of LSU's opener on Saturday.

Shelvin put the college football world on notice in 2019, plugging up the middle of LSU's defensive line with his breakout college season as the Tigers went 15-0 and captured a National Championship. ESPN's Todd McShay released his updated 2021 NFL Mock Draft in August, and after circling Shelvin as one of his Top 32 prospects in May, McShay doubled down with his thoughts on LSU's top defensive line prospect.

McShay pegged Shelvin to be drafted with the No. 19 overall pick in the first round to the Tennessee Titans.

"Addressing either pass-rusher (Vic Beasley Jr. is on a one-year contract) or wide receiver (while A.J. Brown is the real deal, there isn't much behind him) here would have been a reach," McShay said. "If Clemson receiver Justyn Ross' health were a little more clear, he would have been in the mix. Instead, the Titans can take one of the best available players. Shelvin isn't much of a pass-rusher -- though he is better than his zero sacks suggest -- but he is very stout against the run. And with DaQuan Jones signed only through 2020, Tennessee could use another run-stopper up the middle to hold it down with 2019 first-rounder Jeffery Simmons."

Shelvin appeared in 14 games with 13 starts at nose tackle in 2019, and he closed out the season with 39 tackles and three tackles for loss.

Shelvin left high school in the 2017 class ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 4 defensive tackle in the country and No. 1 prospect in Louisiana.

Shelvin is LSU’s fourth player to opt out. He joins wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase, cornerback Kary Vincent Jr. and defensive tackle Nelson Jenkins. Only Jenkins said he plans to return to LSU in 2021, while the others will all begin preparations for the NFL Draft.

With the move to a 4-3 defense under defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, the Tigers will put two defensive tackles on the field this fall, and one of those spots is locked up by senior Glen Logan, who has made double-digit starts in each of the past two seasons. With Shelvin out, sophomore Siaki Ika has been taking first-team reps alongside Logan. Orgeron said said Joseph Evans and Soni Fonua are working as backup defensive tackles, with Eric Taylor and Jaquelin Roy also battling for playing time as true freshman. 

“First of all, Glen Logan has been stellar," Orgeron said. "Glen is a senior for us, he has been here a while, he knows what to do, he has played very well.

“Apu Ika has made tremendous improvement. He is in good shape.”

LSU opens the season on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. against Mississippi State in Tiger Stadium.