Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Miss St

Nutriaitch

It should be an interesting game.  We hear a lot about Leach's Air Raid offense gaining lots of yards, but he has probably not run it against a defense with 2 pre-season all americans in the secondary, Stingley and JaCoby Stevens.  I read that Leach has probably not had a running back as good as Hill, it will be interesting to see if he uses Hill more than he has other backs.  From recruiting, I think LSU has more talent overall, and deserves to be the favorite in the game.  I suspect it will not be as easy as last year.  O has mentioned that he likes the o-line.  It just returns one starter, Austin Deculus.  But, Ed Ingram started as a freshman before sitting out a year, then was a backup last season, but what a luxury it was last year to have Ingram come back and he played a lot for a backup.  I think Ingram will be very solid as a starter.  Chasen Hines at a guard played a lot and he should be fine.  Dare Rosenthal at left tackle, good resume, pretty green, lets see.  Then Liam Shanahan grad transfer from Harvard, lets see what he does against an SEC d-line.  If Coach Cregg puts him out there, he must believe he can do the job.  Most of the backups are young, but hopefully they get some playing time and perform well (meaning we got a big lead).

I'm very much looking forward to the game.  I guess we have to move on from the best season in my memory, the 2019 edition.  Such is life.

• Like 1

Should be a great game to open with, then next week, Vandy follow up helps. 

On the O side of the ball, LSU went down the field very aggressively last year. They would chunk it all over the field. Now, the loss of Chase, we will feel it. Marshall can hang with anyone, McMath is really good, true freshman Boutee has been one folks within have talked about, to me. The loss of Chase also helps Gilbert into getting a few more touches. How much Scott Linehans influences the offensive transition, we should see early. Scott likes to incorporate the TE, and RB’s. A big TE like Gilbert, is the new kid on the block. I’ve seen a number of TE’s, never have I seen one with his skill set, not even close. This was a major get by the staff. I know, last year with Clyde and Moss, we had two really good ones, but Gilbert is a major step up, we are looking at first round talent as a true freshman. The RB’s, none are Clyde as for now, how these backs are used, within this offense, gonna be fun. Scott will add his parts into the playbook. In his NFL offense over the years, he’s used RB’s and TE’s fully. Last year, we used a number of formations, lots of motion. Allowing the staff and Burrow a presnap hint into how they were going to defend. 
I like HT, like the OL, an early look, the 4 players from last year, should do fine. The addition of Liam Shanahan adds to a needed position player. What a transformation with Cush. I can see much of the same with Liam. 

On the other side of the ball, Sting is out today, hospitalized, but looks to be released today. This is a major loss, one as a DB, the other as a Punt Returner. 

GEAUX TIGERS 🐅 

• Like 1

True!

Ed Orgeron after LSU's loss to Mississippi State: 'We have no excuse'

SDS Staff | 32 minutes ago

For the first time since 2018, Ed Orgeron’s LSU Tigers are on the losing side of a college football game. Coach O’s squad saw its 16-game winning streak snapped Saturday as the Mississippi State Bulldogs pulled off a 44-34 upset in the debut of Air Raid guru Mike Leach as an SEC head coach.

After the game, Orgeron addressed numerous topics in his press conference. He discussed miscues on defense, issues with pass protection, the absence of star defensive back Derek Stingley Jr. and more:

• “They beat us. We have no excuse. We couldn’t stay with their guys. Didn’t protect the quarterback. Just way too many mistakes.”
  • On what he told his team: “We’re going to find out what we’re made of.”
  • Jay Ward was out for two weeks and had to play today, so he was behind.
  • “When you lose a player like Derek Stingley, it really hurt us. It was a scheme (issue), but we just couldn’t cover the guys. Thoughts we pressured them well, just didn’t cover man-to-man well.”
  • “We had too many missed assignments.”
  • On his message to the team: “I told the team, put it on me. When we win, It’s on them. When we lose, it’s on me. Let’s stick together as a football team. I still believe we have a good football team.”
  • On protection in the passing game: “We got beat up front.”
  • On Ali Gaye and Jabril Cox: “I thought they were both all over the field. That’s what we’ve been seeing all offseason. Those two guys are big additions to our football team.”
  • On playing at home again: “It was great to be back. I thought there was some energy on the field. I thought the fans did as good of a job as they could.”
  • On Myles Brennan’s performance in his first start: “I saw some inconsistency. I thought he threw the deep ball well.”
  • On youth and inexperience in the defense: “Welcome to the SEC. You’ve got to get better.”

Well, that was ugly.  We back to human again, nobody wearing a red cape this year.  Brennan looked like he was not used to the speed of the game, looked like if they got close to him, he was rattled.  He took too many sacks, threw away a lot of balls.  Seems he did not have that ability to read the defense, know if it was a hard rush coming, and know where the hot receiver was and he just had a second or two to get the ball off.  No, he's no Burrow, we can forget about it.  When he ran, he was not quick, that part of the game is gone also.  The coaches know and are adjusting the play calling to what he can do.

The o-line has issues, blitzers not picked up.  That may be addressed by coaching.  How many drops did Marshall have?  Maybe they need to catch 10,000 balls in the summer, worked last year.

Secondary had issues.  We were spoiled last year with Sting, Fulton and Vincent.  Some experience will help, and getting Sting back.

I wonder how much improvement we can make in week 2?

I agree with @paducahmichael...Brennan looked like a deer in the headlights. Hope he snaps back.

The guys we thought were all world were out of step and looked confused today. Covid has taken away the power of Death Valley. Defensively, we looked too tentative to tackle.

We've got Vanderbilt and Missouri to right the ship before we meet Florida.

• Like 1

I saw flashes of  promise with the offense, but that oline.  And I have no idea why Marshall had grease on his hands today.  He's much better than that.  Jacoby was awesome!  He was all over the place but he cant be the only one.  Hope these guys get into a groove quickly.

Looking for a positive.  When Brennan had time to throw, he did throw the deep ball pretty well.  He hit Marshall and Jaray Jenkins with some nice throws.

TV analysts question Pelini not making any adjustment with coverage in the secondary.  If you play man coverage and you don't have the personnel for it, and you're getting beat regularly, maybe you should switch to zone coverage.

Ricks got beat a few times, then when he stayed with his man and turned his head when the receiver looked back, he made a very nice interception.  Coaching needed.  Game experience needed.  But, I saw potential there.

9 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Looking for a positive.  When Brennan had time to throw, he did throw the deep ball pretty well.  He hit Marshall and Jaray Jenkins with some nice throws.

TV analysts question Pelini not making any adjustment with coverage in the secondary.  If you play man coverage and you don't have the personnel for it, and you're getting beat regularly, maybe you should switch to zone coverage.

Ricks got beat a few times, then when he stayed with his man and turned his head when the receiver looked back, he made a very nice interception.  Coaching needed.  Game experience needed.  But, I saw potential there.

Ricks really got beat twice. 

on the Touchdown, he got rubbed. An experienced CB probably avoids the rub and keeps up with the WR.  I think (hope) he’ll learn from that one and be able to avoid it in the future. 

on a deep sideline pass, Costello dropped it right into WR basket. Ricks had great coverage. But Costello put it exactly where it needed to be. 

I don’t give Ricks an “A” grade for this game, but he’s at worst a B-. He played Press Man all game and for the most part they avoided his guy. 

Jacoby gets an “A”. 

everyone else in the secondary gets D or lower

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think the ultimate question is "Where does the needle fall for Brennan on the sliding scale between Jarret Lee and Joe Burrow?"

I put him somewhere between the two.  In this game he looked closer to Jarret Lee but he has 9 more games to pull that needle closer to Burrow.

Well I'm not for excuses but despite the poor play, if Stingley plays we probably don't lose. We would still have all of the same criticisms we have today though.  I was most surprised by the defense. I realize its a new scheme and all that but we were straight up getting beat physically. In fairness to BP he may have made adjustments but I didn't notice them. Figured w/o JB, Clyde, Jets AND Chase the offense would struggle but today, I'm more concerned about the defense. Lots of football to be played and LOTS of room for improvement.  Everything has to get better, coaching, scheme, players. 

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

Sting doesn’t change the outcome. 

if they had just picked on/burned one guy in secondary, then MAYBE i would agree. 

If Stingley plays we probably sit Ward to heal up some. 
Which means Evans still gets abused. 

Flott did not play well, and Ricks made a couple rookie mistakes that gave them big plays. 

it was obvious Todd Harris hasn’t played in a year and was VERY hesitant to get dirty. His confidence in that knee doesn’t look to be there yet. 

Mo Hampton took some horrendous angles and missed a few tackles. 

Stingley is good, but he doesn’t fix all of the above. 

53 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Well I'm not for excuses but despite the poor play, if Stingley plays we probably don't lose. We would still have all of the same criticisms we have today though.  I was most surprised by the defense. I realize its a new scheme and all that but we were straight up getting beat physically. In fairness to BP he may have made adjustments but I didn't notice them. Figured w/o JB, Clyde, Jets AND Chase the offense would struggle but today, I'm more concerned about the defense. Lots of football to be played and LOTS of room for improvement.  Everything has to get better, coaching, scheme, players. 

The overall defense, but I'm concerned about the o-line.  They gave up too many sacks.  Some may have been on Brennan indecision, but I saw Rosenthal get beat of the outside, he didn't even try to get in the blitzers way, never touched him.  Then there was the blitz in the gap between center and right guard.  Center went left, rt. guard went right, LB shot the gap, QB sacked in 2 seconds.  Not on Brennan.  But if you are going to get those mistakes, you are going to get them in the first game.  That is fixable this week, at least mostly fixable.  They need to work on blocking assignments.

Same thing on defense, but in the secondary.  They had players running free, busted coverage.  That can be improved a lot in one week.

That's what I will look for, o-line blocking assignments and secondary coverage assignments.  If the o-line improves, maybe we'll get some production from the running backs.

I think Brennan can improve in his comfort with the game.  He needs to get game experience.  Let's see what happens.  When he had time, he threw some nice balls.

9 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The overall defense, but I'm concerned about the o-line.  They gave up too many sacks.  Some may have been on Brennan indecision, but I saw Rosenthal get beat of the outside, he didn't even try to get in the blitzers way, never touched him.  Then there was the blitz in the gap between center and right guard.  Center went left, rt. guard went right, LB shot the gap, QB sacked in 2 seconds.  Not on Brennan.  But if you are going to get those mistakes, you are going to get them in the first game.  That is fixable this week, at least mostly fixable.  They need to work on blocking assignments.

Same thing on defense, but in the secondary.  They had players running free, busted coverage.  That can be improved a lot in one week.

That's what I will look for, o-line blocking assignments and secondary coverage assignments.  If the o-line improves, maybe we'll get some production from the running backs.

I think Brennan can improve in his comfort with the game.  He needs to get game experience.  Let's see what happens.  When he had time, he threw some nice balls.

sacks were roughly 50/50 OLine vs Brennan. 

couple times guys came free untouched (on O Line)

couple times Brennan held the ball for a minute and a half and never saw his open check downs (on Brennan)

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

sacks were roughly 50/50 OLine vs Brennan. 

couple times guys came free untouched (on O Line)

couple times Brennan held the ball for a minute and a half and never saw his open check downs (on Brennan)

So I saw this tweet about how long Brennan had the ball:

Myles Brennan averaged 2.87 seconds to throw, longest in the SEC this season. He had 3.14 seconds in the pocket to throw, second-most in SEC He threw the ball in less than 2.5 seconds on just 28% of attempts, lowest in SEC (completed 13 of 16).