Gameday Tigers

LSU@ Vanderbilt

Nutriaitch

I'm just gonna put last week behind us. We were still extremely hungover from THE PERFECT SEASON and maybe more than a little buzzed from it still.

I'm looking forward to playing Vandy (even if it IS at their home for the second year in a row).

Here are some reasons off the top of my head:
-We stole DiNardo from them.
-DiNardo brought us WHITE JERSEYS at home again.
-Vandy acted like a little sissy and wouldn't let us wear white, so we wore GOLD jerseys against them at home (would like to see gold jerseys again at least every third year). 
- More importantly, looking forward to hanging out with everyone again tomorrow evening on "chat"*

* Now, when we are on chat during the game, my feed is slower than damned near everyone else's. So, when LSU craps the bed, let me know what just happened since I'm at least 1:30 behind the rest of y'all on the feed. 
But, as far as good things, no worries. I always haz a happy when I see a "T" appear in the chat thread, followed by an "I" and so on.
However, what we really need to work on is getting our spelling correct.
Last week, we thought we were spelling "TIGERS" with the following:
O
T
T
M
G
I
E
I
Arrah
R
S
S
!

We need to work on this. THe dorks at Kentucky spell better than us. 😉
Also, please reserve the "Arrah" spot for me when we score. I will reciprocate by not trying to jump in and take the "TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" post to cap it off. I just want the "Arrah." It's one of the things I loved most about the difference in the way we spoke when I left the hill-billy state of Kentucky to become a real Tiger. (Well, that and the fact the the drinking age in Louisiana was 18, but I digress.)

Looking forward to hooking up with y'all during the game tomorrah!

GEAUX TIGAHS!!!

Edited by The Swamp Angel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nice rebound game tonight, particularly for the offense.  

Brennan 23-37 337 yds 4TDs with 1 INT, looked WAY more confident, stepped up in the pocket and set his feet.  Air mailed a few throws early but seemed to get better as the game went on.  No "ducks" that I saw.  A few more drops, but getting better. 

JOHN EMERY!  As we discussed in the "2 point Converstion", get him in space and let him do what he do.  He's electric!  12 carries, 103 yds, 3 catches on 3 targets, 21 more yds, and a rushing TD!

Terrace Marshall targeted 4 times, 2 catches, 67 yds,  2 TDs.  One was an absolute laser by Myles. 

JONTRE KIRKLIN!!  3 catches 65 yds 2 TDS!  One on a flee flicker late.  Nice footwork keeping feet in bounds. 

Defense: better, but it's Vandy.  STILL having trouble on 3rd down efficiency.  Lots to work on going forward.  Got more turnovers though. 

ST: Cade York 53 yd FG!  Would've been good from 60+

Sting with a few nice punt returns including a 49 ydr

• Like 1

I enjoyed the game, and saw the improvement I expected from week one to week two.  O-line was better, Brennan was much improved, he didn't take off running as much, he stepped up in the pocket and threw many nice passes.  He was off target a bit, he has a lot of room for improvement, but he took a step forward.  But, we gotta remember, that was Vandy.  He'll be rushed much harder by Fla., Auburn and InbredGumps.  But Myles needed a game like Vandy, good full speed game experience before he faces Florida.  I think the schedule for the season was good for LSU.  The secondary improved, getting Stingley back on the field will do that.  Sting had that one pass interference and he just played the receiver poorly.  I can't imagine that he was rusty, he's been practicing.  Last year, I think Sting looks for ball at the right time and has a chance to intercept, but he didn't look back and just put his arms up to try and break it up and he interfered.  Looked like he smiled after the flag was thrown, he knew he's better than that.  Harris looked better at safety, last week may have just been his first game back and he was rusty.

Ojulari impressed, he's very quick.  I never heard of the last running back, Williams, I was expecting to see freshman Bradford go in.  If I was the coach, the last six minutes of the game, I would have put in a freshman QB to get them a little experience in case they are needed in a big game.  There was no reason for Brennan to still be in there and risk an injury to him.  There are only so many games a year where we will get a big lead and we wasted one of those games to get a young QB some experience.  If they get the opportunity next opponent, I hope they take it.  I haven't seen the explosion from Gilbert at TE that they talked about in practice, hopefully they try to get the ball to him.

And yes, my boy Emery had a GREAT game!!!

I was working on the boat and have not re-upped my sling subscription yet, so I let this one pass.

I will try to watch it tonight but I did watch some highlights.  Some thoughts so far on the season:

1. Still pissed we lost to Moo State, especially since Arky was able to beat them. Having said that, I don't attribute the loss to Mississippi State as part of a championship hangover. I attribute it to Covid in the shadow of O's proclamation that the "whole team had Covid-19". I personally think we had players that missed a lot of practice due to quarantine and we might have had some that were not back 100% from Covid.
  2. The highlights I saw on Brennan reminded me of Alan Risher in his QB mechanics. There is good and bad in that. I don't see Brennan as being able to zing a pass on a rope and I saw a couple of TD throws where Brennan was throwing off of his back leg. I hope he concentrates on his mechanics a bit, but by the same token I don't was him to fix anything that is not broken.
  3. We have great WRs and we have yet to see what Kayshon Boutte can really do. I hope his coming out party is against Florida...whenever it is it will be fun to see.
  4. When I do watch the game, I want to key on Jabril Cox. Against Mississippi State I saw a couple of plays where a containment strategy allowed ball carriers to get extra yards and 1st downs. I want to see him comfortable in the system to the point he has more killer instinct.  He's still new and still learning, though.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

We need to play the run better and we can improve our special teams.  Happy for the win, Brennan is coming along and it appears that Emery is emerging out of the RB pack as the alpha dog. However, Curry was "unavailable" and that could mean a couple of things.

A couple points...

By improve special teams,  I assume you mean kick returns against us? 

Cade York is amazing,  Von Rosenburg has been perfect... dont let the average fool you, he's putting them inside the 20 every time time. 

Stingley was fantastic returning punts. 

Regarding running game, 1st half I agree. 2nd half was stifling run defense. So improvement was good to see. 

55 minutes ago, Herb said:

I let this one pass.

I will try to watch it tonight but I did watch some highlights. 

I don't see Brennan as being able to zing a pass on a rope 

😂😂😂

Yeah, you might wanna catch the replay...

He threw several darts last night, stepped into them and let it rip. Both TDs to Marshall, one to McMath,  and others. I'm more concerned about his timing but it was so improved from last week it ain't funny. 

• Like 1

Emery had a very productive night!  12 rushes for 103 yards and a TD, 8.6 yards average.  He added 3 receptions for 21 yards.  I also say him take down a rusher in pass protection, cut him low and he fell to the ground.

First, I looked up his height / weight and he's a little bigger than I thought.  LSU lists him 5' 11" and 215, Clyde was 5' 8" and 205.  The thing I like about Emery is his SPEED.  He has a great glide about him, he's running faster than everyone else, but it doesn't look like he's trying that hard.  It looks to me like he has another gear in reserve if he wanted to hit it.  His vision seems improved since last year, he had an operation on one eye since last season.  He's got a wiggle in him, and you don't just arm tackle him.  I heard O say they started Davis Price, but Emery got hot and Kevin (Faulk) decided to leave Emery in the game.  I like that on Kevin's part.  If a guy is hot and having a good night, ride that horse.

https://thehayride.com/2020/02/2020-vision-it-turns-out-this-lsu-running-back-has-been-blind-for-a-long-time/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herb said:

I was working on the boat and have not re-upped my sling subscription yet, so I let this one pass.

I will try to watch it tonight but I did watch some highlights.  Some thoughts so far on the season:

1. Still pissed we lost to Moo State, especially since Arky was able to beat them. Having said that, I don't attribute the loss to Mississippi State as part of a championship hangover. I attribute it to Covid in the shadow of O's proclamation that the "whole team had Covid-19". I personally think we had players that missed a lot of practice due to quarantine and we might have had some that were not back 100% from Covid.
  2. The highlights I saw on Brennan reminded me of Alan Risher in his QB mechanics. There is good and bad in that. I don't see Brennan as being able to zing a pass on a rope and I saw a couple of TD throws where Brennan was throwing off of his back leg. I hope he concentrates on his mechanics a bit, but by the same token I don't was him to fix anything that is not broken.
  3. We have great WRs and we have yet to see what Kayshon Boutte can really do. I hope his coming out party is against Florida...whenever it is it will be fun to see.
  4. When I do watch the game, I want to key on Jabril Cox. Against Mississippi State I saw a couple of plays where a containment strategy allowed ball carriers to get extra yards and 1st downs. I want to see him comfortable in the system to the point he has more killer instinct.  He's still new and still learning, though.

I blame 2 things for what happened vs Mississippi St. 

and neither of them are a virus (well, medically speaking at least). 

Coaching and Leadership. 
or lack thereof on both counts. 

Period. 

What we saw was an unprepared and unmotivated squad that day. 

• Like 1

i plan to rewatch this game with a clear (and awake) head to be able to break it down more. 

but we did see things that were missing the previous week.  

Still have probably 2-3 weeks to go before we truly know anything about this team though. 

Miss St lost to Arky. 
A&M (Vandy’s last opponent) got prison raped by those assholes two states east of here. 
Arky actually played UGA tough last week. UGA beat the tar outta Auburn. 

so we really don’t know yet how good any of these teams actually are/aren’t. 

i normally say we need at least a month of football before we see any polls. 
this season is weird because it’s all conference games instead. 

After talking to some friends and watching some fo the game, 2 other issues of concern, we still had trouble converting on 3rd down and drops.  Ok, 3, Clark and Baskerville, not really seeing much production from them. Of course the 4-3 is a new scheme for them whereas that is the system Cox played in.  Can't really say either is playing bad, just that you would expect them to have more tackles. Just my $00.02.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

After talking to some friends and watching some fo the game, 2 other issues of concern, we still had trouble converting on 3rd down and drops.  Ok, 3, Clark and Baskerville, not really seeing much production from them. Of course the 4-3 is a new scheme for them whereas that is the system Cox played in.  Can't really say either is playing bad, just that you would expect them to have more tackles. Just my $00.02.

Yeah I mentioned that to Nootch yesterday. The MLB with 1 solo tackle??

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 12:00 PM, Fishhead said:

😂😂😂

Yeah, you might wanna catch the replay...

He threw several darts last night, stepped into them and let it rip. Both TDs to Marshall, one to McMath,  and others. I'm more concerned about his timing but it was so improved from last week it ain't funny. 

Glad to hear.

I really want him to excel (okay, that might be slightly selfish, but still...).

On 10/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, Fishhead said:

Yeah Boutte carried the drive Emery scored on. Broke arm tackles and showed burst. Don't remember a drop from him

I want his coming out party to be against an SEC foe that deserves for us to donkey poo down their throats.

7 minutes ago, Herb said:

I want his coming out party to be against an SEC foe that deserves for us to donkey tiger poo down their throats.

"I love the smell of tiger poo down my throat. It reminds me of .... how much our university sucks!!!!  Jorts for eveyone!!!!!"

th?id=OIP.PRFrYC4fzHCmbP5XOvdD4AHaE8%26p

Edited by Hatchertiger