Gameday Tigers

Myles Brennan's Injury

Hatchertiger

I watched the play where he apparently was injured and he definitely took a shot.  I've heard that he injured his "shoulder", that he is "banged up" and "bruised up".  A friend of mine from BR called me and told me that there is "chatter" that the injury to Brennan is a serious injury and that he could miss multiple games.  I have no idea if there in an ounce of validity to this as we all know many rumors don't pan out at all.   Does anybody have any information on this topic?  If our defense doesn't step up we need a QB who can keep us scoring to at least have a chance to win.  Sure hope its only a rumor.

I remember while watching the game, he took a hit, and they showed Max Johnson on the sideline warming up.  Johnson did not come into the game, but there was a little concern at the time.  I don't remember what the problem was, I vaguely thought he limped while walking off, but that could have been from a different hit.

But yes, that was a concern about this season, going in with two true freshmen backing up Brennan.  Give Brennan credit for showing some grit and staying out there.

• Like 1

Friend of mine sent me a link to this "article". No idea who the writer, Lonn Phillips Sullivan is.  Doesn't really confirm anything other than there is speculation about what Brennan injured in the Mizzou game how serious it is.  The only thing I know for sure is that at at minimum we will have information about Brennan's status  that can be confirmed on 10/24/202 at 6:00 PM.

Lonn Phillips Sullivan

•  
    • 10 hours ago
    •  
    • 7 min read

BRENNAN OUT FOR SEASON?? / HOW LSU MOVE FORWARD INTO THE ABYSS

Although could the sinister hit he willingly accepted on his left shoulder (or his left hip being consumed on the touchdown pass) really keep this stone cold Tiger out for the season??? 

Myles Brennan's left shoulder injury is healing, but we won't know where he's at until he throws a football again...but rumors swirl about Brennan's left hip injury, suffered when throwing the touchdown pass on the run to Marshall only two plays later. 

Myles was smashed into the ground with contact near his left hip, and when #15 hobbled to his feet heroically, he tried to hide his slight limp and unnatural, rigid-looking torso movement. 

He did a damn good job of hiding the injuries, throwing for 2 more touchdowns and a significant amount of his 432 yards after a moment alone inside the medical tent. 

Now we are hearing about a surgery, a season in jeopardy and potentially torn ligaments in the hip, completely affecting his movement. 

LSU weren't saying a word, they were keeping Myles' injuries under wraps, duh...keeping the media off track during press conferences. First it was reported he injured his right, then left shoulder, back and forth then it was a hip / rib thing....now is it actually an ankle surgery???

What we've heard is Myles' shoulder injury was healing and his hip was still being monitored with Dr. Bankston's assistance ...we're sure LSU will let us know when they feel necessary to do so, but until then it actually helps LSU's opponents to know his status and injury locations.

https://www.lsuodyssey.com/post/brennan-out-for-season---how-lsu-move-forward-into-the-abyss

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

see, here is where proper transcription of O quote is crucial 

did he say “takEN” which is past tense meanings the injury is (at least mostly) healed just took a little longer.

or

did he say “takING” which is like present tense and still not healed yet and this is might be a while?

54 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

see, here is where proper transcription of O quote is crucial 

did he say “takEN” which is past tense meanings the injury is (at least mostly) healed just took a little longer.

or

did he say “takING” which is like present tense and still not healed yet and this is might be a while?

Assuming this is an accurate transcription:

Q. Last Wednesday on the conference call you said Myles was doubtful for the game on Saturday. If y'all were to play that game, would he suit it up? Can you update his condition?

ED ORGERON: Yeah, he was not going to play last week. We expected him back early during the week. I just talked to Jack. He's questionable. Taking a little bit more time for him to heal. He's going to be questionable for the game.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=160620

And another:

"We expected (Brennan) back early during the week," Orgeron said. "I just talked to (Director of Athletic Training) Jack (Marucci). He's questionable. It's taking a little bit more time for him to heal, and he's gonna be questionable for the game."

https://lsu.rivals.com/news/lsu-freshmen-qbs-t-j-finley-max-johnson-battling-for-likely-start-vs-sc

Thus I would say more than likely present tense, its taking longer to heal than expected. Query whether the hip is part of the "lower body" since some were saying that was the "significant" injury. Or is "lower body" the leg, knee, foot or ankle?  Regardless its sure looking like we will see T J Finely or Max Johnson starting the game. If I had to bet which one it will be, I'd bet Johnson only b/c he has more escapeability, a quality a true freshman QB starting his first game may need a lot of. I don't care which one it is, put the guy in who gives us the best chance to win.

EDIT: The wonderful world of the internet. The question is posed at 19:47. Pretty sure he says "taking"

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i’m guessing Johnson too because he was shown with helmet on warming up late in Mizzou game when Myles took the hit. 

Yes, I think that was after the hip hit when Brennan limped off the field.  It looked to me like he was hurt and walking like he didn't want anyone to see he was hurt.  And Yes, Johnson got up and started throwing.

12 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

So who was the last true freshman to start at QB?  Touchdown Tommy? Jamarcus?

EDIT: Brandon Harris had one start as a true Freshman in 2014. TT did start as a true freshman. Jamarcus redshirted. B4 Harris I'm pretty sure it was Herb Tyler.

wasn’t Tommy a redshirt as well?

10 hours ago, dachsie said:

I thought Myles had an abdomen injury

One article is the only place you will find reference to that as far as I know  https://theathletic.com/2148436/2020/10/19/myles-brennan-lsu-quarterback-lower-body-injury-abdomen-florida/ 

Where did you read about him having an abdomen injury? The article came out late yesterday. I can need confirm nor deny if that is true.

Edited by Hatchertiger

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

wasn’t Tommy a redshirt as well?

I looked at his bio on LSUSports.net and it really didn't say one way or the other. But yes he was a RS freshman:

After redshirting his freshman season, Hodson went into the 1986 season as the Tigers' starting quarterback and helped guide the Tigers to the SEC championship and a trip to the Sugar Bowl.

Hodson said he was in the perfect situation as a redshirt freshman at LSU.

“I was a young player on a veteran team,” he said. “I was a role player because we had a lot of playmakers on offense. We were set in a lot of spots, so it was an ideal situation for me. It allowed me to have some success early in my career.”

https://lsusports.net/sports/2019/7/11/208344761.aspx

Have we seen the last of Myles Brennan?  I doubt it.

LSU Football: Will Myles Brennan be in Baton Rouge in 2021?

by Zach Ragan 1 minute ago Follow @zachTNT

The expectation entering the 2020 season for Brennan was that he’d do some learning/growing this season, before taking a major step forward in 2021 (and hopefully leading the Tigers to a College Football Playoff appearance).

But after the first weeks of the season, I’m not so sure that Brennan will be back in Baton Rouge in 2021.

The former four-star recruit is already proving to be one of the top quarterbacks in the nation.

Brennan’s pace through the first three games of the season is similar to Joe Burrow’s historic 2019 season.

And according to Pro Football Focus, Brennan has the fourth-best passing grade among Power-5 quarterbacks.

Here’s another impressive note from Pro Football Focus:

Against Mizzou, he actually posted a higher grade on pressured dropbacks than any SEC quarterback did when kept clean in Week 6. He completed 11 of 16 passes under pressure for 248 yards, two touchdowns and a near-perfect 151.0 passer rating.

If NFL teams are looking for a quarterback that isn’t named Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, then Brennan should be their guy. He’s already close to being a top 10-15 pick.

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2020/10/21/lsu-football-will-myles-brenna-baton-rouge-2021/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Just me, but I don't think an NFL team would put Myles in the first round based on 3 games in college.  Seattle tried that with Matt Flynn after a few good games taking over after an injury, he never started a game, but got a hell of a payday out of it.  If he does not play again this season, I think he comes back.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, Hatchertiger said:

One article is the only place you will find reference to that as far as I know  https://theathletic.com/2148436/2020/10/19/myles-brennan-lsu-quarterback-lower-body-injury-abdomen-florida/ 

Where did you read about him having an abdomen injury? The article came out late yesterday. I can need confirm nor deny if that is true.

that was the article I saw on Twitter

Looks like T J Finley is getting the start. Best of luck to him, hope he has an unbelievable game!!!!!

More change is coming for the LSU Tigers at the quarterback position. According to Garland Gillen of FOX 8 (WVUE-TV), Myles Brennan won’t play against South Carolina due to injury.

Freshman TJ Finley gets the start this weekend as first indicated by Geaux247’s Sonny Ship.Finley becomes the second quarterback to start for LSU this year.

“A source confirmed to Geaux247 that TJ Finley will take the first snap behind center when the Tigers take the field for the 6 p.m. contest,” Ship wrote. “Myles Brennan is still experiencing too much pain related to his partially torn muscle in his midsection, but sources say he is moving around better as time goes on.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Myles-Brennan-TJ-Finley-injury-ruled-out-LSU-game-against-South-Carolina-SEC-Ed-Orgeron-153421188/