Gameday Tigers

Arik Gilbert Officially Opts Out Of 2020 Season

LSUDad

Arik Gilbert officially opts out of 2020 season

BySHEA DIXON 40 minutes ago 

Arik Gilbert has officially opted out of the 2020 season, LSU head coach Ed Orgeron confirmed during Wednesday's Southeastern Conference teleconference.

News broke of Gilbert's decision to opt-out on Monday, and on Tuesday, Orgeron joined 104.5 ESPN's Off the Bench and confirmed Gilbert had spoken to him about the potential of opting out.

By Wednesday, Orgeron revealed a second conversation with Gilbert that confirmed the initial reports.

"Arik and I had a good conversation (Tuesday)," Orgeron said. "He told me that he was opting out. He said his body was hurting and he had some things he had to take care of."

Gilbert will miss this weekend's game against Florida, as well as a potential matchup with Ole Piss on December 19. LSU is currently 3-5 on the season.

Now, the question for the former five-star becomes what happens next.

Will Gilbert return to LSU's team this offseason and begin preparations for the 2021 season, or will he make a move and enter the NCAA Transfer Portal? Gilbert, like all FBS athletes, could take advantage of the NCAA's one-year, penalty-free transfer that would allow him to suit up for another school next fall without having to sit out a season.

"Do I think we have a chance at getting him back next season? Yeah," Orgeron said. "Is there a chance of him transferring? I don't know that. He hasn't told me he's transferring, but obviously we're going to re-recruit him and obviously we wish him the best. Take care of the the things he needs to take care of and be back with us next year."

Gilbert is LSU's leading active pass catcher with Terrace Marshall Jr. forgoing his eligibility to prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft. On the season, the Marietta, Ga. native and 2020 National High School Gatorade Player of the Year has caught 35 balls for 368 yards and two scores. 

Gilbert left high school as the highest-ranked tight end prospect in 247Sports history, and he landed as the No. 5 overall prospect on the 247Sports Composite.

When asked this week if the locker room has broken apart during LSU's 2020 season, Orgeron said he hasn't seen that come to light.

"No. Not at all," Orgeron said. "Look at the way they fought the whole (Alabama) game. They fought the whole game. As far as fighting, we had a great meeting (Monday) and a great practice."

As for the culture of the locker room, and the mass exodus in Baton Rouge, Orgeron responded with the following.

"A year ago we were the best team in the country. We're going to find out who's really behind us," Orgeron said. "We're going to find out who really loves the Tigers. Because we're going to be champions again. Whatever you're hearing, I'm not buying."

The true freshman is LSU's leading active pass catcher with Terrace Marshall Jr. forgoing his eligibility to prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft. On the season, the Marietta, Ga. native and 2020 National High School Gatorade Player of the Year has caught 35 balls for 368 yards and two scores. LSU moved Gilbert to more of a receiving role in the offense.

"I think Arik Gilbert is a phenomenal football player," Orgeron said on Monday. "I think the more time we can get him the ball, the more success our football team is going to have."

With Gilbert potentially gone, LSU will look to wideouts Jaray JenkinsKayshon BoutteKoy Moore and others with two games remaining on the schedule against Florida and Ole Piss.

"We've been pleased with Kayshon ever since he came in. The day Ja'Marr Chase left, he had a great day out there, battled through some injuries, stuff like that. Glad to see we're getting him the ball. I think he's going to be a fantastic football player for us," Orgeron said. "I'm very proud of him (Jenkins). He had some hardships, losing his mother. He never blinked. Had a great high school coach, great family. Turned in to be one of our team leaders that's developed."

With Gilbert gone from the roster, the Tigers only have one tight end available on scholarship for Saturday's game against Florida, with that being freshman Kole Taylor. Sources have maintained to the Geaux247 staff that senior tight end and converted fullback Tory Carter will not be available for the road trip to The Swamp.

Get the fastest scores, news, videos and more. Download the CBS Sports App and get the latest on your team today.

For LSU quarterbacks TJ Finley and Max Johnson, it's another blow to an offense that's now lost three former five-star prospects that could have been catching passes this year with Gilbert, Marshall and Ja'Marr Chase not playing. Johnson is going to get consideration to start against the GayTurds following his 11-of-17, 110-yard passing performance last weekend.

33COMMENTS

"I thought he looked his best against Alabama. I thought he was crisp. I thought he went through his progression well. His ball came out very well, threw very catchable balls. He can scramble, run. I think he's tough. He's a hard worker. So is TJ I think both of those guys are very similar. I thought Max played his best game."

This weekend, the Tigers take on the GayTurds in Gainesville, Fla. at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN. Florida has clinched a berth in the SEC Championship game on Dec. 19 against Alabama.

• Like 1

I'm confused.  5* tight end comes to LSU, obviously after seeing what we did with Moss in 2019.  Burrow is gone, Brennan gets put out for the season.  We're not 2019 LSU, but he knew that.  With the NCAA giving a no penalty (sit out a year) transfer portal, it does not take much for a kid to transfer if he wants to.  Seems like a mess, NCAA made a mess.  Is the locker room that bad at LSU?  I doubt it.  Did O change that much from last season to this season?  I doubt it.  Gilbert's "body hurts"?  Does not sound like the reason, sounds like a BS excuse when you don't want to say the real reason.  Maybe he thinks LSU is more of a rebuild than he thought, would have more success at Ga., and he has a free pass to go there this year.  Adios.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

We're not 2019 LSU, but he knew that.

Correct, but no one knew we would be 1992 LSU

Is the locker room that bad at LSU?  I doubt it. 

i honestly don’t know that answer. 
i know what it looks like, but i’m not on inside so it’s only a guess. 

Did O change that much from last season to this season?  I doubt it. 

O has never changed. EVER. 
he is exactly who he has always been.  

which is why we currently look like mid-2000’s Ole Piss. 

or more currently, September 2017 LSU before an AD had to step in and tell O to quit coaching. 
Seriously, the Athletic Director had to tell the Head Coach to quit coaching. 

this is who he is. 
this is who he has always been. 
this is why i was so adamant that hiring him was a colossal stupid idea. 

Gilbert's "body hurts"?  Does not sound like the reason, sounds like a BS excuse when you don't want to say the real reason. 

i never believe a word that comes out of any coach’s mouth.  All of them lie to us. we just call it “coach speak” .

O is just a lot less tactful about it and usually comes off making himself sound worse. 

he’s played 8 games. 
no way this is a physical issue (no reported injuries).  

O is just horrendous at PR, tried to tip toe around the issue, but made Gilbert sound like a kitty in the process. 
I know that wasn’t his intention, but that’s how it comes out. 

Maybe he thinks LSU is more of a rebuild than he thought, would have more success at Ga., and he has a free pass to go there this year. 

maybe?

this is a complete rebuild. 
like biggest and worse rebuild since before any of the current roster (other than Von Rosenberg) was even born. 

Adios.

or, and call me crazy for this, but maybe we can find/fix the problem instead of hemorrhaging the studs needed to actually be a top tier PROGRAM. 

something we were not that long ago. 

• 2 weeks later...