Gameday Tigers

Defense

Fishhead

I don't know if it's depth or injuries or what, but we're not what I expected us to be.  We are giving up too much in the running game,  and we have almost no interior pass rush.  It's frustrating, because that was supposed to be our strength. 

i think we convinced ourselves of this being our strength without actually seeing anything first. 

i don’t know if have any truly Dynamic game changers on this team.

White is as good as they come, but LB is typically not a position to change a cane completely  

Greedy is lock down, but can be avoided by going after either Fulton or Vincent  

yes I know you’re gonna mention Delpit, but i put him more in the Brandon Taylor type guy. makes all the right plays and is always where he needs to be. but never makes the play that completely changes the completion of a game. 

OK, well I'm gonna say Delpit anyway.  The INTs, the sacks, I've been nothing but impressed with him so far.  

Do you think Rashard is hurt?  Or is he just double teamed to the point and nobody else it able to take advantage?  I think the lack of a big time NT is hurting us.  It's a necessity in Aranda's defense, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

OK, well I'm gonna say Delpit anyway.  The INTs, the sacks, I've been nothing but impressed with him so far. 

you should know me well enough to know that comparing him to Brandon Taylor is a HUGE compliment. 

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Do you think Rashard is hurt?  Or is he just double teamed to the point and nobody else it able to take advantage?  I think the lack of a big time NT is hurting us.  It's a necessity in Aranda's defense, IMO.

again. i think our DLinemen are good. 

just none are take over a game good. 

I'll go back to something I said a couple of weeks ago when I said that Delpit (after Chaisson's injury) is the 2nd best LB on our team and he's not even a linebacker. Yes, we have some good individual contribuitors at LB (Divinity, etc.) but none have stepped up like White has and truly owned their turf.

This all goes back to recruiting "bald spots" that we have commented on as those recruiting classes were assembled. During Miles lasst few years we had highly ranked classes that were dominated by quantity and quality at DB and WR but lacked quantity and quality on OL and DL...we saw kids that were once locks go to rivals like the one in Tuscaloosa (Cam Robinson, Dylan Moses, Patrick Surtain, Landon Collins...).

LSU's struggles are definitively about losing the war in the trenches.  This all goes back to the kinds of kids offered and the positions they play. This all goes back to the kind of talent that LHSAA schools crank out if a premium gets put on "putting a fence around Louisiana" (which - rah rah - sounds great from a pride standpoint but really makes little sense when we don't produce good QBs. OL, etc.).

Saban's "process" starts with imaginary depth charts and systematically going after kids at every position whereas LSU's seems to start at a kid's star rating regardless of whether we're stacked at a postion or not and if the kid is from La, he gets bonus points.

Right now, our depth at positions of traditional depth actually kind of suck right now: RB, DL, LB, OL. We have more WRs and DBs than we can field. 

Orgeron did an admirable job getting some JUCO kids to fill holes this past offseason. Just imagine where we'd be now if that did not happen.

2 hours ago, Herb said:

During Miles lasst few years we had highly ranked classes that were dominated by quantity and quality at DB and WR but lacked quantity and quality on OL and DL.

we had mass defections in the trenches after the 2016 season. 

people tend to gloss over that and blame our current lines in Miles.  A guy who was no longer actively employed by LSU when it happened.

why these guys transferred, i don’t know and i’m not even gonna guess. 

but it happened. and because of it, we’re thin in both quantity and quality.

for this first time since what seems like the Civil War, we don’t have a Stud back. We have good backs, but no real studs.  and in this offense, that’s a problem.

our WR couldn’t catch a cold if they hiked naked across antarctica. that’s been a problem since day 1.  

i’m not gonna bash aranda too he’s just yet, because he’s earned some slack. but let’s be honest, Florida ain’t the first team to have success running at us. 

and i know it’s not popular on LSU boards, but i’ll day it yet again (at least the 3rd or 4th year i say it):

Moffitt is overrated. 

sorry, but it’s true. we get out physicalled all to often when we go up against teams with even close to equal talent (and some schools that fall short of equal talent to us).  Not outschemed mind you. OUT PHYSICALLED.  we get pushed around way too much. 

2 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Moffitt is overrated. 

I don't disagree with you.

Fish was asking about Lawrence...dude got a little heavy for his frame and IMHO has lost a step that he used to have.  Who is conditioning these guys?

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I work an awful lot of hours, including Saturday and some sundays. So obviously i missed it. 

Why did Phillips not play?

radio last night said “available, coach’s decision”

whatever that means. 

i know he was banged up late in Ole goldenshower game. So maybe that had something to do with it.  like one of those “could have played”, but probably in his best interest not to play. 

Archived