Gameday Tigers

Staff changes

Fishhead

15 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Not a clear win to me.  We can't see what he has done lately.  Pelini had not been directly responsible for the defense in a while, we had not seen exactly what he would do.  A lot of Pelini's former LSU players came out in favor of his hire, thought he would do a good job, shows that they don't always know the best.  I would rather see a current DC with a recent track record, then I think you know more what you are buying.

Remember, Vandy has to pay Mason, they will be picking up part of the tab, is LSU trying to save a few dollars? 

I was wondering with all the staff changes, will we lose the Saint's passing scheme.  With Slinger moving to the analyst role, hopefully he will document the scheme if it is not already documented, and we keep that knowledge.  Seems that should be important to O.  If Burrow does not return to form after his injury, how about Burrow for OC, at least one day in the future.

30 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I was wondering with all the staff changes, will we lose the Saint's passing scheme.  With Slinger moving to the analyst role, hopefully he will document the scheme if it is not already documented, and we keep that knowledge.  Seems that should be important to O.  If Burrow does not return to form after his injury, how about Burrow for OC, at least one day in the future.

Whom ever the OC is, he will bring in his playbook. Same thing with the DC. 

Derek Mason comments on his interest in LSU DC job

Jake Rill | 59 minutes ago

On Wednesday, it was reported that former Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason had been in contact with LSU regarding its defensive coordinator opening. Mason has now confirmed that is true.

“There have been some conversations,” Mason told Glenn Guilbeau of the Lafayette Daily Advertiser on Wednesday night. “I’m taking some time right now. I’m spending time with my family. But I’ll say this, I have the utmost respect for Coach [Ed] Orgeron. I truly believe he’s an unbelievable coach. And LSU is a top five program as far as talent, resources and what it can do.”

The Tigers have an opening on their staff after former defensive coordinator Bo Pelini was fired following one season. LSU is making several changes after going 5-5, a season after it went 15-0 and won the national championship.

Mason was fired by Vanderbilt after going 0-8 with the Commodores this year. He went 27-55 over seven seasons at Vandy.

Prior to becoming the Commodores’ head coach, Mason had never previously coached in the SEC. So, if he ends up taking the DC job at LSU, it’d be the first time that he’d be an assistant coach in the conference.

Although Mason has been in contact with the Tigers, Guilbeau reported that Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman is the “top candidate on Orgeron’s wish list.” Guilbeau noted that former Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and former South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp are also candidates.

Whether or not Mason gets the job, it seems that he certainly has interest in heading to LSU.

“Anybody who’s anybody as far as a defensive coordinator and loves football would want to coach at LSU,” Mason told Guilbeau. “When you look at LSU, you can see top 10 talent. There are 10 or 11 programs in the country that have superior talent, and LSU is one of them.”

22 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Remember, Vandy has to pay Mason, they will be picking up part of the tab, is LSU trying to save a few dollars? 

typically the language in a contract requires the coach to be around “fair market value” at next gig. 

i guess lawyers could argue what that value is though. 

LSU typically pays their coordinators very well. So the “market value” number would theoretically be higher here than at some other places. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dachsie said:

Why did Austin Thomas leave?  I know he went to A&M but was there a reason?

He left because he wanted a raise and more responsibility. 

He had a deal with Tennessee and left, then Tennessee reneged on the deal. He went to TAMU when Woodward was there. Also went to USC. 

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

All I remember about Thomas was he was mentioned as "behind the scenes" well thought of in recruiting.  Not sure what he really does.

He basically organized EVERYTHING. Recruiting, coaches, players, everything. He was a college GM, so to speak. 

Woodward wants to move up at LSU. I wouldn't be surprised in Thomas replaces him as AD when that happens. 

31 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Cincy gave up 400 yards of TO today to UGA.  I wonder if that takes some of the sparkle off of Freeman's star?

I would guess Ga. has an edge in talent, top 5 recruiting class every year lately.  May be a case of the Jimmy's and Joe's outclassing the X's and O's, is my guess.

• Like 2

Here we go!

LSU assistant reportedly promoted to full-time role

The LSU Tigers have multiple vacancies on their coaching staff after head coach Ed Orgeron announced several members of his 2020 staff would not return in 2021.

One such vacancy could already be filled, as offensive analyst Russ Callaway has reportedly been promoted to a full-time role on LSU’s staff, according to FootballScoop.

Callaway, who was hired last offseason as an offensive analyst, was previously the offensive coordinator at Samford, where he led one of the most prolific offensive units in all of FCS.

It is unknown what role Callaway has received — or could receive, but the move would keep a talented, young offensive coach on the staff.

Former offensive coordinator, Steve Ensminger, was also LSU’s quarterbacks coach. That would be a natural move for Callaway as he transitions to an on-field role for the Tigers.

Callaway could also replace Scott Linehan as passing game coordinator. Linehan’s one-year stint in Baton Rouge was disappointing after replacing Joe Brady.

Orgeron has spoken highly of Callaway since hiring him last offseason.

Callaway is not expected to be named offensive coordinator as Orgeron prefers someone with Power Five experience in that role.

Could Russ Callaway be the next Joe Brady?

Joe Brady was 29 years old when LSU head coach hired him to be the team’s passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach prior to the 2019 season.

After a record-setting season that saw quarterback Joe Burrow win the Heisman Trophy and the Tigers win the national championship behind a high-powered offense, Brady was named offensive coordinator of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers.

While Steve Ensminger remained as LSU’s offensive coordinator, head coach Ed Orgeron chose to replace Brady’s role with veteran NFL coach Scott Linehan.

That didn’t stop Orgeron from looking for other promising young offensive coaches, which led to the hiring of Russ Callaway as a senior offensive analyst in February.

Callaway, who spent the past five years at Samford, including four seasons as the offensive coordinator, also spent time on Alabama coach Nick Saban’s staff as an analyst.

During his time at Samford, Callaway was in charge of some proficient passing teams, including in 2018 when Samford was the top passing team in the FCS.

He played a key role in the development of quarterback Devlin Hodges, who would go on to start six games as a rookie with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019.

Orgeron was on Off the Bench on ESPN 104.5 in Baton Rouge recently and specifically discussed Callaway.

“He is tremendous,” Orgeron said. “I think Russ is going to be a great coach in college football. He already proved himself at Samford and had one of the best offenses in the country.”

“He is Ensminger’s right-hand man. He does a lot of work for us and has a lot of energy. I think he is a great young coach.”

Orgeron mentioned how closely Callaway is already working with Ensminger and the rapport he has built with the offensive staff in such a short time.

Replacing Brady will be tough, but it’s clear Orgeron and the Tigers have high hopes for Callaway in the future.

• Like 1