Gameday Tigers

Staff changes

Fishhead

1 hour ago, Herb said:

What are people's thoughts on Doug Nussmeier becoming LSU's OC?? Would having Garrett on the roster make that a conflict?

But he’s 50 years old. 

We have had father/ sons before. Jessie and Jesse Daigle come to mind. 

Bill Busch is gone, he was the safeties coach, brought in by Aranda.  I thought he was an excellent recruiter, every time we signed a top recruit, many times Busch's name was there.  But, LSU played well in the whole secondary for years without a dedicated safety coach.  Corey Raymond seemed to be doing very well before Busch arrived. 

I'll be surprised if we go get another safety coach. 

So, where would we use that staff slot?  A dedicated QB coach?  A dedicated LB coach.  I think Aranda and Pelini were the LB coach the last 2 years.  Somewhere else?  Save a coaching spot and save some money for a year where we are buying out Pelini?  O has not been shy about spending LSU's money, my guess is he wants to fill it to give LSU the best chance to succeed.

Edited by houtiger

22 hours ago, Herb said:

What are people's thoughts on Doug Nussmeier becoming LSU's OC?? Would having Garrett on the roster make that a conflict?

i don’t think we can. legally speaking.  

NCAA rules say you can’t hire someone linked to a specific recruit for (i think) 2 years after the recruit signs. Or something to that effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Being reported that we will interview Freeman this week for the DC position. Been reading that he really wants to be a HC. That may factor into his decision if we offer.

We are not the only one looking for a DC. Freeman’s name is being passed around for a number of schools. 

• Like 1

Interesting, don't know much about either one:

That’s the reporting from Pete Thamel of Yahoo, who has reported that LSU is meeting this week with Panthers QB coach Jake Peetz and offensive assistant DJ Mangas. Peetz is targeted as the OC and Mangas as the pass game coordinator. Both worked under Joe Brady in Carolina, and Mangas was an LSU analyst during 2019 title season.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/reaching-for-the-joe-brady-coaching-tree-lsu-reportedly-looking-at-nfl-to-fill-out-staff/

• Like 1

Peetz has been on Saban's staff twice, installed their RPO package. 

He was QB coach for the raiders when Derek Carr was all pro. 

He's was RB coach when McCaffrey had 1000 yds rushing and receiving. 

He was the only person retained at Carolina when Rhule took over. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Grimes is leaving BYU to become OC at Baylor. This just in. Aranda tapping into his LSU roots:

Vic, played at SMU with Phil Bennett, I knew a number of folks on that staff. Vic was at Fla St with Jimbo, but he and Jimbo parted ways, once Jimbo got the aTm job. Vic played at John Curtis. 

Just now, LSUDad said:

Vic, played at SMU with Phil Bennett, I knew a number of folks on that staff. Vic was at Fla St with Jimbo, but he and Jimbo parted ways, once Jimbo got the aTm job. Vic played at John Curtis. 

Little known fact.:

Fish played at John Curtis as well

About 1/2 a season in football and a lot of baseball

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Little known fact.:

Fish played at John Curtis as well

About 1/2 a season in football and a lot of baseball

I thought any male at Curtis plays football at some point. JT liked to start grooming his players young as I recall.